Haines Logo Text
Column Archive
November 15, 2017:


Bruce Kimmel Photograph bk's notes

Well, dear readers, I am writing these here notes from the new house. Yes, you heard it here, dear readers, I am writing these here notes from the new house. Part two of the move was completed by noon, with the bedroom stuff arriving, along with whatever other odds and ends were left. I had a friend with me for three hours, unpacking boxes, getting the bedding on, and all that jazz. There are still about ten boxes to unbox in the house – I’ll try to do that today as I don’t have to be at LACC until four-thirty.

I was up at seven-fifteen – about five hours of sleep as I was up until two packing up stuff, including all the computer stuff. Once up, I got as much as I could into the motor car and I left the old house for the last time, although I may stop by today and leave the keys and pick up any mail that may have come. I really have to do change of addresses for the unions I’m in and anyone else who absolutely needs it. I arrived at the new house a little after eight and unloaded the car and put as much away as I could, plus got all the computer stuff up and ready for Spectrum Man. He arrived at 8:45. Grant was already here, they chatted, and this excellent man had us up and running in fifteen minutes, Internet-wise. He also hung some art while he was here, so that was fun. He has such a perfect eye for these things.

At noon, a friend arrived to help me unpack more book boxes and to unload what I’d brought. Then the big-boy truck arrived with all the bedroom stuff and we got all that in and dealt with. The bedroom looks great. My friend and I worked three hours. And they cleared a path to the washer/dryer for she of the Evil Eye. So, still lots to do in the garage once all the shelving is attached later this week. And I really want to get all the stuff unboxed and put away in the house. Have I said all this already? My brain is frazzled, I must say, and I really need a good night’s beauty sleep.

At about three-fifteen I headed over to LACC for a clean-up session. We got most of that done and then Richard Allen, Kay, and I went to Café 50s. We were the only ones in the jernt. The waitress was a rather dopey young girl who had no particular interest in her job. Kay ordered a hot fudge sundae – a menu item – only to be told they didn’t have hot fudge. Strike one. I ordered my favorite sandwich and Richard ordered an open-faced turkey sandwich. Ten minutes later I was informed they couldn’t make my sandwich because they didn’t have an ingredient – perhaps the, I don’t know – bread? I was really irritated and she was not helpful. I ordered the country-fried steak. Fifteen minutes later we still didn’t have food. The finally our meals arrived. Richard’s open-faced turkey sandwich was five slovenly pieces of turkey and – wait for it – no bread. His mashed potatoes and gravy were like they’d just come out of a refrigerator – ice cold. He sent it back to warm up. I’d ordered onion rings but there were ice-cold mashed potatoes on my plate – I was assured my onion rings were coming. I ate about five bites of the country-fried steak – it was hot, and the edges were okay, but it was not really cooked well so I just stopped eating. Ten minutes later, no onion rings, no Richard’s food and I told the waitress we were leaving. She brought me a check that only had my entrée on it, so I paid for it and out we went. I will be doing a vicious Yelp review shortly, but beyond that I’m going in there today to talk to the manager, who I think will be appalled.

Then we had our run-through. The show itself was pretty smooth and the set changes all looked good and worked well, but our stage manager was calling cues late, the band was pretty ragged as was the sound mix on them, the lighting was still being tweaked and we had no projections. Kay and I gave about fifteen minutes of notes and then I was on my way to the new house. I walked in and felt so good about being here. It is my fervent hope and prayer that this will be a house filled with health, wealth, happiness, creativity, and all things bright and beautiful. There, I’ve said it and I’m glad.

Today, I will hopefully arise after a good night’s beauty sleep, then I’ll unbox stuff for most of the day and get things put away in their proper place. Don’t know if Grant will have time to hang more stuff. Then around three-thirty I’ll mosey on over to LACC, stopping in at Café 50s first. Then I have to record the pre-show announcement, then at five I see the projections – finally – and they’ll be in the show tonight and I think that will make a huge difference. We should have a few people in the audience, so that will be fun for the cast, I think. IF I have any major notes, I’ll give them before the show tomorrow.

Tomorrow is our one and only preview – prior to it I’ll be unpacking and putting away – I really want the house all done by Saturday morning so she of the Evil Eye can give it a good polishing up. And then Friday we open this puppy. Trying to figure out how we’re doing the before and after reception. And running out of time. We play two shows on Saturday and then I’ll finish up the Kritzerland show and get that to the singers and write the commentary, and then I am doing nothing but relaxing all week – I’m not even sure I’ll go to the Thanksgiving dinner I’m invited to – we shall see.

Well, dear readers, I must take the day, I must do the things I do, I must, for example, sleep in, unpack and put things away, do a pre-show announcement, see projections, and then have our final invited dress rehearsal. Today’s topic of discussion: It’s Ask BK Day, the day in which you get to ask me or any dear reader any old question you like and we get to give any old answer we like. So, let’s have loads of lovely questions and loads of lovely answers and loads of lovely postings, shall we, whilst I hit the road to dreamland, happy to be firmly ensconced in the new house.

Search BK's Notes Archive:
© 2001 - 2018 by Bruce Kimmel. All Rights Reserved