Haines Logo Text
Column Archive
November 12, 2017:


Bruce Kimmel Photograph bk's notes

Well, dear readers, we had our tech if you can call it that. Nothing was really prepared and I’d been called to be there at eight-thirty to see cues and of course nothing was ready for me to see, which actually annoyed me very much. So, instead of sleeping a little later and getting eight hours of sleep, I got six. I went and had breakfast. At eleven the cast arrived and got into mics – that little bit of business took ninety minutes and included sound check for every cast member. We didn’t begin cue-to-cue until 12:40. Of course, there WERE no cues built so we just jumped from thing to thing as some cues were written. Many lights weren’t focused, lights on the cyc were not there, projections were not there. We took a meal break at two and then at three continued on but it was clear that the cue-to-cue was simply pointless. So, at about 4:40 we did a run-through while the lighting guy programmed cues as the show ran. I think the lighting will be nice, but it was impossible to tell, really. I took lots of lighting notes and will send those along tomorrow, when I have a moment, which won’t be until late afternoon.

The run-through itself was pretty smooth. Our MD was actually where he’ll be playing the show from, so that was fun. And the sound folks are really tops – it already sounds fantastic. When we finished, I blocked the curtain call, so that’s out of the way. I got out of there around seven-thirty. I then went directly to the new house, had a bit of a dust-up with the helper that was a little too tense for my taste, and then I unpacked and shelved the rest of the books save for one box (and the missing I-J box). Meanwhile, the helper and her husband got most of the garage boxed up, so that was good. I put away a few things I’d brought to the new house – slowly but surely. I doubt I’ll get to the CDs and Blu-rays for a few weeks, but there’s no real hurry.

Then I stopped at Gelson’s and got a couple of evening snacks, then came home. Instead of relaxing I packed up a couple of boxes o’ stuff. So, no real relaxing for me.

Today I’ll be up by eight-thirty and we’ll begin the day one of the big move. I know they want to take all the garage shelving over – I’m hoping that will be the second trip of the day and that the first trip can be sofas and tables and lamps and curio cabinet and credenza and stuff like that. That way we can place all that stuff in the house. But it’s really up to them and as long as the sofas and tables and stuff gets moved today, I’m fine. I’ll probably go over there in the morning and stay there, putting stuff away (I’m bringing about five boxes of things plus some of the clothes. I’m sure we’ll have an eight-hour day, then I’m damn well eating a nice meal somewhere, then I’m damn well relaxing and getting ready for the long Monday.

Tomorrow, I’ll probably go to the new house at ten, do a couple of hours with Grant, placing things, figuring out where art is going, then at noon I’ll mosey on over to LACC for our band rehearsal, which I really am looking forward to. Then we have our sitzprobe directly after that, then a meal break, then we do a dress rehearsal and hopefully we’ll have something resembling the lighting of the show. Tuesday is day two of the big move and we have to get everything that’s left done that day. I don’t have to be at LACC until five-thirty, so I have all day there. I know the bed will go over and the Internet people will come between eight-thirty and nine-thirty. By four I should hope it will all be done, and then I never have to come back to the old house again and I shall sleep in the new house for the very first time. Then we have our final invited dress, our preview, and our opening night. At some point I have to cast the rest of the December Kritzerland, too, and choose the songs (not a hard show to do).

Well, dear readers, I must take the day, I must do the things I do, I must, for example, do day one of the big move and get as much out of here as we possibly can, I must unpack stuff, eat, and relax. Today’s topic of discussion: It’s free-for-all day, the day in which you dear readers get to make with the topics and we all get to post about them. So, let’s have loads of lovely topics and loads of lovely postings, shall we, whilst I hit the road to dreamland, hoping that the tech that wasn’t really a tech is finished and smoother on Monday.

Search BK's Notes Archive:
© 2001 - 2018 by Bruce Kimmel. All Rights Reserved