Haines Logo Text
Column Archive
July 20, 2018:


Bruce Kimmel Photograph bk's notes

Well, dear readers, I thought something was off.  Yes, you heard it here, dear readers, I thought something was off when I opened the car door to finally go to the mail place to pick up the package with the streamer sticks.  I unlocked the door with the button on the door as always, but it didn’t seem to need unlocking.  As I was about to get in I noticed there was a dime on the carpet, which I didn’t remember dropping there and certainly would have noticed.  Then I got in and noticed the little compartment where I keep the mail place key was open – key was there, but it was not open when I left. Then I opened the ash tray where I keep the parking change to put the dime in and that is when I knew someone had been in the car – all but a few dimes was gone.  I then immediately opened the compartment where my iPod lives and it, too, was gone.  I opened the glove compartment – none of the papers, including my registration, was missing, but the glasses case was open and my glasses that I keep in the car were gone – that was the only thing I didn’t care about, as the prescription was five years old and useless to me and I never liked the frames.  I didn’t really care about the seven bucks in change either.  What I cared about was the iPod because those iPods with the maximum storage are really rare and hard to find, not to mention expensive, and I of course cared that some little thief or thieves had actually violated my car, and yes I use the word violated because that’s exactly what it is. 

So, when did it happen and where?  Well, that’s pretty easy to trace because I know exactly where I was and for how long. There were only three choices: the parking lot at Jerry’s – I’m pretty good about locking my car when I leave it, so I’m kind of doubting that and also doubting that someone would have the chutzpah to do that in an open parking lot that gets a fair amount of traffic. But if someone had seen me exit my car and not lock it (possible, I suppose), they could have gone in very quickly, gotten the stuff, and left.  That would explain the fact that there were two dimes on the carpet (I found another) and still a few nickels and dimes in the glove box.  And it might explain why they didn’t pop the trunk from inside the car, although I’m not sure you can if the motor isn’t running, and that they couldn’t do without my fob being there.  Had they popped the trunk they would have gotten away with a six-hundred dollar wireless mic.

It could have also, I suppose, happened at the mail place, which was my stop after Jerry’s.  But I wasn’t in there very long and that would have been taking an awful chance for someone and now that I think about it, I didn’t even go to the mail place so that’s out.  So, the only other place it could have happened is right here.  The house has a very long driveway to the garage and I park right in front of the garage.  You’d have to notice the car, walk all the way down the driveway and the garage has lights on it.  I suppose I might have forgotten to lock the car, but that would have been a first and I find it hard to fathom on the one night I forget to lock it there just happens to be someone in the neighborhood taking that kind of chance.  I don’t think it could have happened on any other day because a) I would have noticed the money on the floor, b) I would have noticed the compartment was open where the mail key is, and c) I would have noticed the “Audio off” sign when I started the car, as I rarely have the audio off and if I do I turn it back on immediately.  So, I think here is the answer. Now, the interesting thing about here is that I have renter’s insurance on the house, so since the theft took place here I suppose I could file a claim, but then it’s not really worth it to just replace the iPod. 

The other thing about here is that the side door of the garage was unlocked.  I’ve been taking so many CDs out of there that I haven’t been locking it.  Thank goodness this was a hit-and-run thing because had they gotten in there, there is a huge amount of stuff they could have made away with – CDs, Blu-rays, DVDs, books, art – many, many things.  So, now the garage is locked, the car is locked and I will be very diligent from here on in and also let the police know that this happened.

Otherwise, yesterday was a perfectly nice day.  I did get eight hours of sleep, so that was good.  Then I had some telephonic calls, had no inane e-mails (good!), I picked up the package of streamer sticks and noticed that little thieves had violated my motor car, and then we had our rehearsals.  First up was Melissa Manchester, who lives two minutes away – she’s just delightful and is doing the key song of the show.  Then Sami and Jenna, then the two girls doing Let’s Get Together (I saw a photo of them in costume – amazing – the black dress now has the white collar on it and it’s pretty exact to the movie.  Oh, okay, I’ll share.

Pretty adorabelle.  Then little Peyton Kirkner and that was that.  We finished up a bit after four, and I went to In-N-Out for food.  For the first time I used the drive-up window because for the first time there wasn’t a line of cars, just three.  Funnily, the food wasn’t quite as good as when I go inside to order – I know it’s just the luck of the draw, but it amused me on some level.

After that, I relaxed and listened to music until it was time to mosey on over to the rehearsal studio to see our act one finale.  My stage manager was there, too.  It was very exciting to see it and they’re working more today and it should be in really good shape by show time.  So much fun choreography and a very attractive group of dancers.  Then I came home and listened to more music.

Today, I’ll eat, hopefully pick up some packages, and then we begin rehearsals at three-thirty and are done around six, I think.  Then I have to do nothing but relax and get to bed at a reasonable hour.

Tomorrow, I’ll be up at eight, I’ll shave and shower, be on the road by nine-ten, park, mosey on over to the theater, and then while the band has its band-only rehearsal, I work with the lighting guy, while sound gets all their stuff together. At one our cast begins arriving and at one-thirty we begin our sound check.  Everyone has from seven to ten minutes, so it’s basically one time through and fixing for a minute or two.  I do have a fifteen minute cushion built in at six-thirty if anyone wants a second shot.  The stage manager will keep all of that on time and running as smoothly as possible – we’d like to give the big dance number a bit more than their thirty minutes if possible, but they could conceivably run the number three times even in the thirty minutes, as it’s seven minutes.  Then the large orchestra shows up and gets an hour and finishes up at five-thirty, at which point no one is allowed in the theater proper for the next hour.  So, we’ll hang out in the green room or the Founder’s Room until six-thirty, we’ll do any last-minute sound stuff and if the dancers want a quick pass we can do that, too.  And then, baby, it is show time.  Sunday I will be in bed.

Well, dear readers, I must take the day, I must do the things I do, I must, for example, eat, hopefully pick up packages, have rehearsals, then relax.  Today’s topic of discussion: It’s Friday – what is currently in your CD player and your DVD/Blu and Ray player?  I’ll start – CD, too many to list.  Blu-ray, nada.  Your turn. Let’s have loads of lovely postings, shall we, whilst I hit the road to dreamland, hoping that the little thieves have the worst karma imaginable, filled with bad and worse things throughout their miserable little lives.  

Search BK's Notes Archive:
© 2001 - 2019 by Bruce Kimmel. All Rights Reserved