Haines Logo Text
Column Archive
January 17, 2020:


Bruce Kimmel Photograph bk's notes

Well, dear readers, this month is flying by, like a gazelle having its tonsils out.  I wrote that brilliant sentence ten minutes ago and immediately got waylaid looking for some stuff.  I hate when that happens.  Have I mentioned that this month is flying by, which is, I suppose, what happens when you write a 622-page manuscript for a new book in exactly thirteen days?  Have I mentioned that it is raining?  Have I mentioned that I’m bored of this paragraph?

Yesterday was a bit of a day as bit of a day days go.  I got about seven hours of sleep, got up, Muse Margaret called and so I dressed and drove to her home environment and gave her the new 311 pages.  She said she’d try to read them all and call in the evening, but she didn’t call so I’m assuming it took longer than she thought.  Hopefully I’ll hear from her today and I’m praying she liked the last half as much as the first half.

I had to come right back home for the noon o’clock work session for the Elmer Bernstein concert.  The MD played through the entire show, while I made various and sundried notes along the way.  The first half, which I knew would be too long, was too long, almost fifty-nine minutes and that’s without my palaver between numbers.  The second act, however, was only thirty-two minutes.  So, without cutting any actual numbers, even though that might still happen, I moved two things to the second act and that immediately took off five minutes.  I then made internal cuts in three pieces, and that saved another couple of minutes, so act one should be closer to fifty-three minutes now.  I moved flipped one piece from act two into act one and the piece from act one went into act two.  I also made cuts in the act two material, so I’m hoping that with the intermission we’ll come right in at two hours a maybe a teeny-tiny bit more than that.  I reordered other selections and I think it will now play much better.

The work session, which I was hoping would be two hours went to three, so I had to go grab some food and went to In-N-Out for a cheeseburger and animal fries, which I brought home and ate up.  Then I spent the rest of the afternoon finishing the Kritzerland commentary, so that’s done now, although I may futz with the show order a bit.  Then I had to shave and shower quickly, after which I moseyed on over to the mail place, picked up some packages, then moseyed on over to the theater for a production meeting.  That went very well, and set construction begins on Saturday morning.  Then the cast arrived.  Before starting the run-through, I tried a couple of things to see how I liked them.  I know one of the things works well, while I like the other but am not quite sold on it yet.

We did our run-through, which was pretty smooth.  The actors are at that place now where they know most of it but are still clutching their scripts as a safety net.  But as of Saturday, everyone should be off book and to that end, I think we’ll run lines tonight, as we can’t do a run-through since one of our leads is gone.  The run time was about the same as the previous night.  Our set designer was there, making notes, and we’ve approved the design.

After rehearsal, I stopped and got two donuts, came home, ate one, did some work on the computer, ate half the other and will polish off the other half in a little while.  And then I relaxed and listened to some music.

Today, I’ll be up by ten-thirty at the latest, I’ll try to start writing the Elmer Bernstein commentary, I’ll hopefully get the Muse Margaret call, I’ll eat something light, I’ll hopefully pick up some packages, and then we have our second Kritzerland rehearsal.  I then have to dash directly to the theater and we’ll do whatever we can do.  Then I’ll come home and relax.  Here’s the flyer for the Kritzerland show.

Tomorrow, I’ll be at the theater at ten and we’ll try to do a run-through.  We’ll be in the upstairs theater, since the set build is happening on the mainstage. We’ll wrap up by one and I’ll go straight home and then we have our stumble-through at four and hopefully someone will want to get some food afterwards.  Then I have to do nothing but relax and rest my voice in the evening hours.  Sunday, I have to be up by eight-thirty at the latest, and at Vitello’s for sound check at ten.  Then we play our show.  I’m not sure I’ll eat anything after, since I then have to go to The Federal that night and my dinner is being paid for.  That said, I might go downstairs and have a little salad or something.  Monday I can have a ME day, I hope, and then it’s play rehearsals, concert rehearsals, a designer run-through on Thursday night, and then the concert on Friday night and Saturday matinee.

Well, dear readers, I must take the day, I must do the things I do, I must, for example, be up by ten-thirty, write commentary, hopefully get a call from Muse Margaret, eat, hopefully pick up packages, have a Kritzerland rehearsal and then a play rehearsal, after which I’ll relax.  Today’s topic of discussion: It’s Friday – what is currently in your CD player and your DVD/Blu and Ray player?  I’ll start – CD, many CDs.  Blu-ray, Séance on a Wet Afternoon.  Your turn.  Let’s have loads of lovely postings, shall we, whilst I hit the road to dreamland, and have I mentioned that these here notes are now officially written?

Search BK's Notes Archive:
© 2001 - 2020 by Bruce Kimmel. All Rights Reserved