Haines Logo Text
Column Archive
April 29, 2020:


Bruce Kimmel Photograph bk's notes

Well, dear readers, we had our first test on Facebook and YouTube Live last night and, for the most part, it went perfectly, in terms of the technical aspects of it.  We’re playing around with various things, graphics and such, although we won’t do a lot of that in Sunday’s show.  I tried to get the word out but due to the dreaded Facebook algorithms not many people saw it – I’ll star earlier in the day today.  But what I didn’t know is that the live thing is archived there and stays on that page I guess until I remove it.  So, if you happened to miss it, and you know most of you did, you can simply go to the Kritzerland Upstairs at Vitello’s page and scroll down and you’ll find it.  I had fun doing it, and I can’t actually tell you the last time I sat at the piano and sang one of my songs, other than maybe for a show, but even then, it’s been quite some time.  I used to sing and play quite often for folks who’d come over, or if I was at a club and was asked to, that kind of thing.  I stopped doing it because I get too nervous about lyrics and clams on the piano, but I pretty much got through last night fine and that made me happy.  I liked my “mood” lighting.  I may do that again for tonight’s test or I might try something else.  So, what were the hiccups?  There really was only one and had I not changed something that wouldn’t have happened.  What it was is that I found a direct link to my YouTube channel’s livestream page and used that.  Had I used the link to the channel proper anyone who came there would have seen it.  But the direct link took you to a page that said it was offline.  I’m trying to research why but can’t figure it out thus far.  The channel is verified, which you need to do a livestream, so it wasn’t that.  I did read somewhere that the first time you do it it could take twenty-four hours, but I don’t really know what that means, since the livestream did happen on time.  Or maybe it just doesn’t show up on the direct link page for twenty-four hours, as it is archived and put on the channel or at least is supposed to be.  We’ll keep sussing it out, but for tonight we’ll use the link to the channel.  So, not a bad first test and tonight there’ll be another and I’ll be singing another me song, too.

Prior to that, yesterday started off with getting up after eight hours of sleep.  Once up, I had to deal with a couple of e-mails, and I did so as best I could.  Then I did some work on the computer.  I ascertained there were no packages and mail, so I just used Door Dash and got Jack in the Box.  I haven’t had it in oodles of ages and ages of oodles.  I find the Breakfast Jack oddly appealing and I find their weird tacos even more oddly appealing and that’s what I had, and they were oddly appealing in an oddly appealing way.  It only took twenty minutes from ordering to delivery and the food was nice and hot and hot and nice.

After that, I did more work on the computer, did some work at the piano, figuring out what song I might sing this evening, and the day went by without any real problems so that was good.  Then I went on Facebook around seven and posted several times about the test but in the end we only had about ten people there when it went live, which in itself is a little worrisome, but we’ll keep getting the word out about Sunday.  What would be fun is to have our usual size audience for it – 70 to 100 folks.  Of course, more would be even better, so spread the word.  I’ll do an eBlast, too.

After the live thing, I had some telephonic conversations, we did some further testing, then for my snack I had a Lean Cuisine frozen dinner of 300 calories – sweet and sour chicken.  It isn’t going to win any culinary awards, but it wasn’t too bad, actually.  Then I took a nice drive, then came back home and relaxed.

Today, I’ll be up when I’m up, then I’ll do whatever needs doing, I’ll figure out food, I’ll check to see if there are packages and mail, then we’ll get ready for our second test on Facebook and YouTube Live.  We’ll do that and see how it goes, then I’ll watch and listen and choose a song for the third test for tomorrow night.

Tomorrow is more of the same, with more tests and stuff, then another test for Facebook and YouTube.  And that’s how it’s going to go right up until the actual show on Sunday.  It’s exciting in its own way.

Well, dear readers, I must take the day, I must do the things I do, I must, for example, be up when I’m up, do whatever needs doing, figure out food, eat food, check to see if there are packages and if there are go get them, and then we’ll do our second test on Facebook and YouTube Live.  Today’s topic of discussion: It’s Ask BK Day, the day in which you get to ask me or any dear reader any old question you like and we get to give any old answer we like.  So, let’s have loads of lovely questions and loads of lovely answers and loads of lovely postings, shall we, whilst I hit the road to dreamland, happy that the first test was pretty much successful save for a minor hiccup.

Search BK's Notes Archive:
© 2001 - 2020 by Bruce Kimmel. All Rights Reserved