Haines Logo Text
Column Archive
April 30, 2020:


Bruce Kimmel Photograph bk's notes

Well, dear readers, our second test was not as smooth as our first test, but there were reasons that I didn’t really know about until after it was over.  But before I tell you about that, has anyone noticed that this is the last day of April?  It is, and so tomorrow will be the first day of a brand new month, a little month I like to call May, the merry month of May and heaven knows we need the merry and it is my fervent hope and prayer that May will be a month filled with health, wealth, happiness, creativity, and all things bright and beautiful.

Now back to last night’s test two. Mostly it was fine.  Here’s how it went down.  Normally, when you begin a Facebook Live thing a little window pops up on the bottom left – that’s what happened on test one and what happens when people I know go live.  That did not happen last night, apparently.  It instead appeared in the posts, which is really odd, so one had to scroll down, unmute the sound, and then watch.  We had some reports of the image and sound freezing, but I don’t think that was Facebook, I think that’s people’s Internet connection speed or older computers.  We had similar reports from the YouTube showing, too, but Hartley had both screens open and it worked without a hitch on her computer.  So, we’ll continue our testing tomorrow night and see how that goes.  The other thing that didn’t happen was that once the Live thing is over it’s supposed to immediately post to the timeline, and it didn’t.  Later, Hartley told me she’d fooled around with some settings and so she has to put that one back the way it was.  But she posted it to the page, so it’s there now, but without the wonderful comments that were happening live.  We had eighteen people, so that was better.

I’m not going to publicize at all tonight’s test, other than a few loyal friends because I don’t want people to get confused and think they’re seeing the show or anything like that.  I originally thought it might be a good way for folks to get used to going to the page, but I’m not sure that’s working the way I want it to.  The other thing is that very few people saw any of the seven or eight posts I made throughout the day, the Facebook algorithms insured that, thank you very much.  I’m not sure how to get the word out other than PAY them the money to boost a post, which I may do tomorrow.  It’s really irritating.  If we don’t have a great crowd on Sunday, then it’s because of that and I’ll be looking into a different way of doing it should that be the case, perhaps even on the Kritzerland site, as I know we have video capability.  But I’m hoping we might just be back at Vitello’s for the June show.  Hard to know at this point, as our lovely governor and lovely major change their stories every two minutes.  Anyway, it was fun last night and if you missed it, which many of you did, just go to the Kritzerland Upstairs at Vitello’s page on Facebook – both videos are there.

Besides that, yesterday was a busy day.  I only got two hours of sleep, got up, did some stuff, and then went back to bed and got another four hours of sleep.  Once really up, I worked with the singers all day on finessing stuff, mic balances with the track, the look, all of it and that took many hours.  Once that was done, I got ready for our Facebook and YouTube Live test two and you know all about that.  I was so exhausted by that point that I wanted a really nice dinner, so I had the Cheesecake Factory delivered and had my spicy cashew chicken, which, for some reason, seemed twice the size of the other day.  In fact, I could only eat half of it, along with their excellent brown bread.

Then I took a drive for about twenty minutes, came home, and ate the rest of the food.  Then I did some work at the piano and planned tonight’s Live thing.  I’ll be singing another song and talking about various things.  Everyone really liked the story about my former manager last night, so that was nice.  Then I had a couple of telephonic conversations and that was that.

Today, I’ll arise when I arise, I’ll do whatever needs doing, I’ll hopefully pick up some packages and an important envelope, eat, and then I may work with singers some more, and then I’ll listen and watch and relax.

The rest of the week is more of that, more testing, and gearing up for the big show on Sunday.  I’m very nervous and excited about it, as you might imagine.

Well, dear readers, I must take the day, I must do the things I do, I must, for example, arise when I arise, do whatever needs doing, hopefully pick up packages and an important envelope, eat, work with singers, and then listen, watch, and relax.  Today’s topic of discussion: When you were a kid, what was your favorite penny candy type thing, stuff you would get from the machines in markets and stuff, and the cheap candy you could get from the store?  Let’s have loads of lovely postings, shall we, whilst I hit the road to dreamland, hopeful that the few hiccups of test two give way to a smooth test three.

Search BK's Notes Archive:
© 2001 - 2020 by Bruce Kimmel. All Rights Reserved