Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WE ARE NOT AMUSED  (Read 20682 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WE ARE NOT AMUSED
« on: February 20, 2005, 11:59:03 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are not amused,  or you are amused, and now it is time for you to post until the amused cows come home.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 11:58:57 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WE ARE NOT AMUSED
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 12:02:53 AM »

And the word of the day is: LOXODROMIC!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 12:07:29 AM »

Not only do we have the dreaded rain, we've now got extreme high winds.  Call me a paranoid, but something screwy is going on here.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 12:12:08 AM »

Well, BK, I hope you don't live in an area that floods.  Some coworkers of mine live in an area where it floods just about every time it rains.  One time my former supervisor and her husband had to help her mother fill and put sandbags around her mother's house because the water got that high!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 12:17:02 AM »

Has Ann caught up?

No, it doesn't really flood where I am.  As I said in yesterday's posts, I would not want to live in the canyon or in Malibu right about now.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 12:23:00 AM »

I have caught up.
I hope the rain lets up at some point, bk.  Weather reports say it should stick around through the middle of this week, sadly.  
I can't right off think of any really dramatic weather I've lived through...give me a bit, I might come up with something.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 12:54:05 AM »

Well, the rain and the WUSSBURGERS have done me in.  All I can say is - LOXODROMIC!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 01:07:26 AM »

No late night denziens tonight, I see.  Pity.  I have brought my laptop to bed with me, and I hope that the sounds of a Harry Potter audio book will lull me into an early sleep.  The prospect of being awake for another two or three hours is an extremely boring one.  

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 01:08:35 AM »

Loxodromic...well, at least I can pronounce it.  I'd better go look it up, though, so I know what it means

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 01:14:49 AM »

Well, dictionary.com told me to "see Rhumb Line"  so I did, and it read as follows -

rhumb line
n.

The path of a ship that maintains a fixed compass direction, shown on a map as a line crossing all meridians at the same angle. Also called loxodrome.

clear as mud

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2005, 02:29:40 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR MATTHEW!!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2005, 06:10:34 AM »

Good morning, all!  I finally found the missing magazines around 7:00 last night, so all is well with that.  Unfortantely, there's more tidying to be done before I start work on new charts for Anna Bergman's next cruise, the two Mickey-Judy Show revisions, and the continuation of DARLING OF THE DAY.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~GOOD HEALTH VIBES TO JOEY'S GRANDMOTHER!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
                                                                  ;) :D ;D :) ;) :D ;D!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR MATTHEW!!! ;) :D ;D :) ;) :D ;D [/move]

We just had a lovely snowfall, and the streets are very quiet; I'm sure a lot of it is the holiday, but the snow is probably keeping several indoors.  I have to run down to the recording office, look at a few scores and accomplish more than moving junk around the apartment.

The City was crazy this weekend as well with people coming in to see what Christo and Jean-Claude did to Central Park.  B&N was a zoo on Saturday, and I think it was mostly tourists.  Ron Raines told me last night the Upper West Side traffic was a mess.  I don't drive, so what do I know?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 06:17:07 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2005, 06:35:36 AM »

Happy Happy Birthday, DR Matthew!!! I hope you have a wonderful day filled with much cake, and we want pictures of said cake.

TOD: We were visiting my sister in Maine many years ago when Hurricane Bob blew through. That was exciting. We get monsoons every summer, which are exciting, with the booming thunder, cracking lightning, and walls of blowing dust.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2005, 06:41:16 AM »

I have your grandma and your whole family in my prayers, DR Joey.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2005, 07:03:28 AM »

TOD: We were visiting my sister in Maine many years ago when Hurricane Bob blew through. That was exciting. We get monsoons every summer, which are exciting, with the booming thunder, cracking lightning, and walls of blowing dust.

TOD:  I was also involved in Hurricane Bob.  It was the Dear Partner's and my first vacation together, and we found a charming little apartment to rent for the week, right on Provincetown Harbor....

There are several issues that stem from the above italicized words:

First and foremost, imagine going through a hurricane, and subsequent blackout, with a bunch of queens who are in Provincetown to do little more than sun themselves and dance. (OK, they're there for other things too, but they don't require sun or electricity, though both can enhance the experience...)

Second, and secondmost, we were right on the beach.  We knew the best way to NOT have the large glass doors at the end of the studio blow into shards and impale us to death meant leaving the doors open a crack.  Well, that meant having sand blow in, instead.  It was the first time I realized how much the Dear Partner likes to vacuum.  (I said vacuum, not.....never mind)  Ever try vacuuuming in a blackout?

Third and thirdmost, the ingenuity of a bored queen on vacation is not to be. believed.  Literally the morning after the hurricane left the Cape were there T-shirts in some of the shops proclaiming "I Was Blown by Bob."  Not just one, but piles of them.

Oh, and Happy Birthday DR Matthew.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2005, 07:36:51 AM »

DR MATTH mentioned that he would watch The Great Ziegfeld…And it tempted me to see it. The stage scene was the largest scale I’ve ever seen and the CURTAIN was the biggest one I’ve ever ever ever (…!  that is tree evers) seen before in my life. Mr. Ziegfeld in the role was charming and I liked Luise Rainer, as Anna Held, who had her own special mood. Did you watch it as you mentioned, DR MATTH?

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2005, 07:42:14 AM »

Dixie is lovely always, DR TD.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2005, 07:45:19 AM »

DR JOSE: You know even how to fold a dinosaur and a peacock!? To my shame, I’ve never seen/heard them before and I know only a crane…. :-\

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2005, 07:53:24 AM »

Stopped the rain but cold, about 2 degrees Celsius.
How about in Los Angeles, California, USA?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2005, 08:00:11 AM »

Yes, I did watch the whole thing in its two parts. The first half in the afternoon and the second half in the early evening.

"A Pretty Girl Is Like a Melody" number has been featured in THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT and is usually the clip you see when this movie is discussed, but all of the production numbers after it are just as gargantuan, and I think even more entertaining. My favorite number is "You."

I did some reading on the film this morning. It was $2 million in the making, and the rights were actually bought from Universal for $250,000 who had originally planned to film it but didn't have the resources during the Depression to bring it off lavishly enough. Billie Burke was originally scheduled to play herself in the Universal version, but MGM gave her a studio contract NOT to play herself in the film, and this is how Myrna Loy ended up as Billie Burke.

The staircase in "A Pretty Girl" was so tall that it couldn't fit inside any of MGM's soundstages, so a tent was constructed to film the number.

The reference book stated that Rainer's performance is the shortest Best Actress performance in the history of the Oscars. I would think Louise Fletcher's (in CUCKOO'S NEST) might rival it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2005, 08:00:28 AM »

Well, I'm up, because the rain is still falling and I wanted to check on the leak potential problem in the kitchen.  It's still between the wall and the paint, although a little hole had opened up, which I managed to fix last night.  The wetness has traveled further down the wall, but no water is present, so that's good.  I'll be able to call someone about it at ten.

Jennifer

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2005, 08:00:43 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Matthew.

And good vibes to DR Joey's grandmother. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2005, 08:01:45 AM »

LOXODROMIC!

I liked it because it has the word LOX in it.  I find it both a Jewish and an Irish word, don't you?  Lox and O'dromic.

I'm glad Hisaka is here because no one else seems to be.  Most unseemly.

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2005, 08:02:29 AM »

Question re: last night's DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES.

I know John (the guy who came on to Gabrielle) was one of the gay guys in the pool.  But who was the other?  Was it Zach? Was it someone we don't know. I looked away for a second and now I am unsure.

Thanks.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2005, 08:03:49 AM »

The worst weather story I have involved coming back from Mexico City. We were flying into Miami, and there was a terrible storm going on. We circled the airport for three hours waiting for the storm to pass, and even at those heights, the ride was very rough and scary. Didn't make me afraid to fly, but I was glad not to get back on a plane for awhile. Thankfully, this came at the end of a trip that involved several flights.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2005, 08:04:21 AM »

It was Bree's son, Jennifer.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2005, 08:05:02 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Matthew!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2005, 08:05:21 AM »

I cannot believe the dearth of postings this morning.  I like the birth of postings, not the dearth of postings, and I also like the mirth of postings and the worth of postings so let us do away with the dearth.  Let's put the dearth in the earth and expand the girth of our postings.

After all that, all I can say is - LOXODROMIC!

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2005, 08:06:42 AM »

I'm glad Hisaka is here because no one else seems to be.  Most unseemly.

What am I, chopped liver?

Jennifer

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2005, 08:07:22 AM »

Well I watch American Idol (although I can't vote).

Anyhow you can see David's friend here:
http://www.idolonfox.com/contestants/

Judd definitely isn't one of the contestants that they focused on too much.  But I do remember hearing him sing.  He is up against some very tough competition in the men's section (Anthony, Anwar, Mario, Constantine).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up