Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WE ARE NOT AMUSED  (Read 20662 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:WE ARE NOT AMUSED
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2005, 09:08:05 AM »

AH!!!!

PAGE THREE!!!!

Thank you.  Thank you very much!

;)

*Of course, now I have Latka Gravas in my head. 8)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2005, 09:10:08 AM »

Hmm...

BK watching "American Idol" on his new TV... Now that is certainly something I'd like to watch!  Just imagine the audio/commentary!

But as least "AI" will be broadcast in Hi-Def, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2005, 09:13:12 AM »

I don't have the HiDef receiver from Direct TV.  Apparently we have not yet beat the all-time rain record here in LA.  Apparently we have "only" had 32 inches of rain, and the record is 38, which happened in 1887 or something.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2005, 09:13:18 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATTHEW (I'm sorry, but which Matthew is having a birthday?  Don't we have two?).

Re:  bad weather story.  Didn't we do this recently?  I seem to remember telling my travelling through the icestorm/blizzard story with 6 month old Gabe in the backseat.

DVD Confessional Moment:   I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned here some time ago, but I am watching Exodus on DVD.  I have never seen the movie all the way through.  Now I seem to remember BK and others complaining about the transfer, but, another confession, I am really not the videophile that a lot of you seem to be, so I wasn't expecting to see much that would drive me crazy.  WRONG!!  I can't believe the artifacts and especially the moire patterns that are everywhere.  I mean, it's OK to get moire patterns on car grilles and herringbone suits, but how in heck did they get moire patterns on foiliage?  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2005, 09:16:21 AM »

Well, the rain has stopped for now, but it might start up again later this afternoon.  I think I'll take this opportunity to head out for my run.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2005, 09:19:12 AM »

OH!

And as for bad weather stories...

There was the blizzard in Connecticut when I was nine, but.. I was nine, so I enjoyed the four feet of snow.

The past couple of hurricanes that have hit Richmond have hit while I've been out of town.  So...

Once again, laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2005, 09:20:35 AM »

Weird Synchronicity Department:  Betsy and I just watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas two days ago, and now in this morning's paper it's reported that Hunter S. Thompson committed suicide yesterday.  There is a very interesting supplement on the second DVD that would probably be of interest to BK, Panni & Pogue regarding WGA arbitration.  Gilliam and his co-screenwriter are quite funny in it.  Evidently Gilliam resigned (or whatever one does) from the WGA after this particular brouhaha and refuses to rejoin.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 09:21:11 AM by JMK »

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2005, 09:27:11 AM »

The Exodus DVD is a joke and a bad one at that.  We are not amused, as some queen said.  The film was stunningly shot in 70mm.  MGM/UA used their old laserdisc transfer, non-anamorphically enhanced for widescreen TVs and taken from a 35mm scope element which, of course, is the wrong aspect ratio for 70mm.  I so wish Warners had this title or that they'll redo it someday.  The sound is also awful.  Shame on them for this travesty.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2005, 09:27:25 AM »

LOXODROMIC!

JMK

« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2005, 09:32:54 AM »

Yes, I noticed the sound was really spotty--it sounded like some of the looped stuff was from a whole different soundtrack.  There are moments on the ship when Newman sounds like he's talking inside a small tin can and Saint sounds perfectly fine.  Did the laserdisc have all the weird moire stuff going on, or is that just the DVD?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2005, 09:36:05 AM »

Laser was the same - bad.  Same transfer, same problems.

Ginny

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2005, 09:36:11 AM »

Birthday greetings to DR Matthew!

DR Joey - best to your grandmother and the loving family she has surrounding her.

DR's Jane, Ann, and any others not feeling well - take care!

I have been somewhat E & T lately because I have been immersed in the Benjamin Kritzer trilogy.  Actually, I read all three books this weekend and now understand much better some of what goes here on this board.

At DH Richard's 40th high school reunion last August, one of his classmates looked at me and said, "And who were YOU?"  That question has haunted me ever since.  Would that we all had the talent to write, as BK has, such an entertaining and thought-provoking answer.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2005, 09:54:40 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR MATTHEW!

Good vibes for DR JOEY'S grandmother.

I am all for team spirit, but I just cannot watch American Idol - it makes me too mad.  And - there are 12 singers - they all sing for 1 1/2 minutes, that's 18 minutes.  The show is one hour long.....and the other 42 minutes sans commercials - well I would rather watch paint dry.  So good vibes to Judd (thanks for the link DRJENNIFER).
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2005, 09:55:35 AM »

Calibrate your tv?  We ARE the Jetsons now.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2005, 09:59:05 AM »

Nice hurricane story, DRKERRY.

I think and Indiana tornado has been my worst weather experience.  Deep snow is not too bad.  Usually we just stay in and don't go anywhere.

But one Palm Sunday in the 1960's we were expecting storms and suddenly we realized it was getting serious.  I was in the dining room and I was watching a LOT of stuff blow by horizontally!  Then the BIG tree right outside the window bent over with the top touching the ground.  We all headed for the basement.

Nothing was badly damaged....one outbuilding collapsed to the right - we used the boards to build bookcases later after is was torn down.

VERY SCARY.  We were not amused.

Jennifer

« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2005, 10:24:39 AM »

DR Jose, did you ever tell us which of the 24 finalists is the one you know?

Btw, I'm actually glad I cannot vote (for American Idol).  It is a bit frustrating to live just north of the border and watch all American tv, yet not be able to vote.  But it's also a bit freeing in that I don't have to sit there like a loser pressing redial for my favorite (like i do when Canadian Idol is on).

DR Jrand, you're welcome for the link.  It will be interesting to see how many of the performers we haven't seen much of do well (did that make sense?).  I actually think that MANY already have their favorites.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2005, 10:31:36 AM »

I think I will have a Sandra Dee movie night tonight.

DRMATTH the movie UNTIL THEY SAIL was on TCM a few weeks ago.  I hadn't seen it.  I liked it a lot - it moved VERY fast!  All the women were very good and there were lots of guys I had never seen before in minor parts.  And John Wilder was also in it!  

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2005, 10:35:34 AM »

Marc Chapeaux posted a very long post around twelve-thirty AM, but thanks to the torrent of wetness going on in LA, which seem to saturate the phone lines (and hence, the DSL lines) in parts of the Hills of the Wood of Holly, the internet cut off and the post was lost.  

I don't know about these words of the day.  They are getting more and more outre.

I have no real great weather stories.  My favourite happened to a friend of mine, Larry Drake, who was snowed-bound for a weekend in a Dinner Theatre in Columbus, Ohio once with his cast and star, Ann Miller.  He said after three days of that, he was about ready to "break" Ann Miller's hair.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2005, 10:49:58 AM »

AOL, once again, is being completely retarded.  I've been writing all morning, and shall now take a brief break or, at the very least, a break brief.

I think a few OUTRE words of the day are nice.  For example: LOXODROMIC!  Plus, you know you'll be using that in your next script.  I know I will.

I've alerted the proper people about the latest leak thing, and they will have someone come out today.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2005, 11:03:08 AM »

Well, Dear Readers, I just took a History test and am now using one of the non-working computers so that I won't have to throw out my Cherry Coke to use one of the working ones they hide away in the library's second basement. The computer is on this high counter that usually has bar-stools at it. But the bar-stools are nowhere to be seen and I am sitting on my backpack on a chair. The counter is still too high, though, with the result that I can't reach my Cherry Coke. This is a major problem. I'm about chin-level with the keyboard's space bar, which is somehow askew, like a see-saw with one fat kid and one anorexic kid.

I don't know what was in that decongestant my mom gave me this morning, but I feel GREAT! I am reminded of the time my best friend Vespi (of Kudo-head fame) was sick and his mom gave him some cough syrup just before he left for school, only to find out it was actually Ny-Quil. He was having a GREAT time in first hour English class. Kudo-head got some major bling-bling that day. I don't think Vespi even made it to second hour Chemistry.

But for all my joviality, I think my History test suffered. It was an essay test, which I maintain was invented by the devil. It didn't help that I never got around to studying last night seeing as how I was trying to soak up Niagara Falls with a Kleenex and was coughing up the Eighth through Thirteenth Natural Wonders of the World all night. (Again, this decongestant has me feeling GREAT! I'm really tired, though.) I got through the test, although I'm not sure how. I'm sure it didn't get a very good grade, unless my teacher turns it in to the Creative Writing Department.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2005, 11:07:28 AM »

But did you use the word LOXODROMIC on your history test?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2005, 11:07:57 AM »

That's quite an outre word, according to the lovely and dapper Marc Chapeaux.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2005, 11:14:28 AM »

JMK, I don't know what the flap was about WGA arbitration, but though a lot of people complain about it, no one yet has offered a better solution than the one now in place at the guild for determining credit.

Complaints usually stem from someone who thought they deserved credit, but didn't get it.  I personally have felt that all arbitrations I have been involved with have been handled fairly.

Unfortunately, there is a contingent of powerful re-writers in the guild who are trying to make the credit arbitration rules easier for re-writers to get credit.  

I have been in the forefront of the debate as one of those who is vociferiously opposed to this double-dealing.  It's the rich and powerful of our guild (who already get the plum original assignments) feeding off the rest of the guild.  They are like Edward G. Robinson in KEY LARGO.  They want "More."  

I think the primacy of the first writer should be embraced and it should be harder for anyone who comes after to get credit.  We should be trying to move in a direction of "one writer, one script" (That's why directors have all the power, only one director).  

A laundry-list proliferation of credited writers only re-inforces the idea that writers are as disposable as toilet paper, encourages producers and studios to cavalierly throw writers off scripts (and 9 times out of ten, the writer is not the problem...but the crap notes he is forced to execute), diminishes the work and contribution of writers, and encourages writers to savage their fellow writers by leaping over their battered carcasses to gleefully re-write them.  

I think writers need to respect each other more and stop this pernicious practice of re-writing each other at the drop of a hat.  I personally have only re-written if the job is a page one re-write where everything before is being thrown out and I'm starting over from scratch or with the original source material or if I have consulted the previous writer and gotten his blessing to re-write him.  But truth be told, I've not re-written anyone in years.  I hate chewing on someone else's cud.

I advocate that we could get rid of arbitration for credit altogether,  if the first writer got sole credit and everyone  else who comes on, comes on merely for the fee they can negotiate as an anonymous script doctor.  (Wasn't this the practice for years on Broadway?)   That way everyone goes into the process knowing full well the outcome and you don't have re-writers fixing stuff that isn't broke, just so they can write enough to get credit.  They know going in the they're not going to get any credit or any back-end money.

And that's why writers try to get credit on a film.  Credit is tied into backend revenues...cable and DVD monies.  Disconnect credit from the back-end money and you'll suddenly see a lot of writers less interested in taking re-write jobs.

These radical ideas meet with howls of protest in some quarters in the Guild, but many are in favour of it.  Unfortunately, with those who currently hold the slate of politics in the WGA, will not give this idea much of a chance to be voted on by membership.

Bottom line should be fewer writing credits on a film...not more. I think writers in the Guild who re-write their fellow writers without their permission are carrion-eaters, plain and simple.

As for the guy who left the guild over the writer credit...oh big deal!  I suspect he took financial core and, if he did either that or resigned, it will not be his option to re-join, it will be the guild's decision whether he can come back in or not.

But this points up one of the the things I hate about these DVD extras.  People can come on and tell bullshit stories with no proof to back up their claims.  And almost always these yarns are making themselves look good.  If people knew how much ego, hype, and outright lies fuel these extras, I think they'd watch them with a bit more of jaundiced eye.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2005, 11:22:45 AM »

JMK, for more of my thoughts on WGA credits and writers re-writing fellow writers go to:

http://www.wordplayer.com/pros/pro6.Pogue.Charles.Edward.html

Or just go to www.wordplayer.com and click on Indy Pros and then on my article.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 11:24:03 AM by Charles Pogue »

Charles Pogue

« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2005, 11:25:25 AM »

I have no idea why the this site has abbreviated the address I just wrote but after /pro6. it should read Pogue.Charles.Edward.html

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2005, 11:27:02 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR MATTHEW[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD VIBES FOR JOEY'S GRANDMOTHER[/move]

GOOD HEALTH, FINANCIAL, AND SUNSHINE VIBES TO EVERYONE ELSE!!!
[/b]

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Charles Pogue

« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2005, 11:28:03 AM »

And the Rains Came Yet Again...

JMK

« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2005, 11:29:46 AM »

DR Pogue, the flap was indeed about a rewritten script but (at least from the Gilliam side of things, obviously he's the only side presented on the DVD), it went a bit deeper and had more to do with the fact that a separate production company was not set up once he came aboard (which evidently would have solved things immediately, since his was the only script after a new production team came aboard).  Basically what happened is there had been 13 or 14 scripts by various writers culled from Thompson's work, and the producer (who took Gilliam's side) had "creative differences" with whomever the 14th script was by (which was the script that was greenlit with Depp and Del Toro attached), so that writer left the project.  Then Gilliam was hired and completely rewrote the script, which was what was filmed.  However (this again according to Gilliam) the 14th script's writers demanded sole writing credit (Gilliam was willing to share), and they, because they were the "first" script authors, got to claim "points" (as Gilliam states it) for things like locale and dialogue that came directly from Thompson's source.  That was what drove Gilliam crazy--that they should get "extra credit," as it were, for things that were determined by the original book.  Anyway, Gilliam and his co-writer actually won the arbitration, but it so bothered Gilliam that he left the Guild.  He filmed an hilarious short during the arbitration that's included as an extra that he was thinking of including in the film as a brief prelude had he lost.  It's a very funny Python-esque black and white PSA by a guy saying the film you're about to see is the first film ever produced without benefit of a screenplay.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2005, 11:31:06 AM »

I have no idea why the this site has abbreviated the address I just wrote but after /pro6. it should read Pogue.Charles.Edward.html

Hmm, sounds like this site has taken to doing uncredited
 rewrites on your work, Mr. Pogue!
:D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 11:33:28 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JMK

« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2005, 11:32:40 AM »

Long URLs always get abbreviated here--the links still work.  :)  For instance:

http://hometown.aol.com/jmkauffman/sheddinglight.html

All you never wanted to know about Frances Farmer.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up