Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT A STRANGE DAY WAS YESTERDAY  (Read 19002 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:WHAT A STRANGE DAY WAS YESTERDAY
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2005, 08:54:08 AM »

Ah yes...I forgot congratulations yesterday to the Vixter for her nearly perfect score!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2005, 08:54:57 AM »

Ahh, isn't the summer great? No school, no ridiculous papers about stuff I don't understand, and best of all, no more IAAAAWWOTD. In fact, I will never even have to type out those letters ever again. IAAAAWWOTD. There, that was the last time I am ever going to type out those letters.

I think that calls for a swig of this here Cherry Coke.

In other news, some of my grades have come in, and I see that I got an A in my Rhetorics class, and I still don't know what rhetoric is.

And I still don't know why my History teacher has all those groupies. She certainly is NOT an easy grader, believe you me. No funny little quirks like Ms. Hee-uh. What gives?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2005, 08:57:40 AM »

My parents should have arrived at my grandmother's place in Indiana yesterday. I wonder what they had with their Jello for dinner last night.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2005, 08:58:08 AM »

Congratulations to the Vixter on her almost-perfect score!
and on her behalf, I thank you

By the time we got to the check-out counter, I was carrying my own weight in Krispy Kreme doughnuts and Sara Lee cheesecake. I am now having a nice healthy breakfast of two Krispy Kremes and a Cherry Coke.

Ah youth! I remember being able to eat like this and not gain an ounce , nowadays I will porbably gain two pounds just from reading about your cuilnary exploits ;)

When do your grades come in?  What are you studying this summer?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2005, 09:00:26 AM »

Well.....elsewhere on the internet, Mr Matthew Morrison who is nominated for a Tony Award for "Light In the Piazza" has been spoken of as John Wayne's grandson.  Can anyone at HHW tell me if this is true?

vixmom

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2005, 09:04:29 AM »

Oh, some of your grades have! Congratulations on your A.

and  FYI (if you care anymore)

rhet·o·ric    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (rtr-k)
n.

The art or study of using language effectively and persuasively.
A treatise or book discussing this art.
Skill in using language effectively and persuasively.

A style of speaking or writing, especially the language of a particular subject: fiery political rhetoric.
Language that is elaborate, pretentious, insincere, or intellectually vacuous: His offers of compromise were mere rhetoric.
Verbal communication; discourse.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English rethorik, from Old French rethorique, from Latin rhtoric, rhtorica, from Greek rhtorik (tekhn), rhetorical (art), feminine of rhtorikos, rhetorical, from rhtr, rhetor. See rhetor.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

rhetoric

n 1: using language effectively to please or persuade 2: high flown style; excessive use of verbal ornamentation [syn: grandiosity, magniloquence, grandiloquence] 3: loud and confused and empty talk; "mere rhetoric" [syn: palaver, hot air, empty words, empty talk] 4: study of the technique and rules for using language effectively (especially in public speaking)

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2005, 09:06:34 AM »

Some of my grades have already come in, but I'm still waiting on a couple. They don't mail grades out anymore. You have to get them over the Internet, so you find out about your classes one at a time. Graduation was yesterday, and not all the grades have come in yet. I hope they're not going to ungraduate anybody after all the grades come in.

This summer, I am taking another History class. History is NOT one of my favorite subjects. This will be the last one I have to take. Woo hoo! And it's Ancient Greece, so depending on the teacher, it might be interesting.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2005, 09:07:34 AM »

and  FYI (if you care anymore)

rhet·o·ric    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (rtr-k)
n.

The art or study of using language effectively and persuasively.
A treatise or book discussing this art.
Skill in using language effectively and persuasively.

A style of speaking or writing, especially the language of a particular subject: fiery political rhetoric.
Language that is elaborate, pretentious, insincere, or intellectually vacuous: His offers of compromise were mere rhetoric.
Verbal communication; discourse.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English rethorik, from Old French rethorique, from Latin rhtoric, rhtorica, from Greek rhtorik (tekhn), rhetorical (art), feminine of rhtorikos, rhetorical, from rhtr, rhetor. See rhetor.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

rhetoric

n 1: using language effectively to please or persuade 2: high flown style; excessive use of verbal ornamentation [syn: grandiosity, magniloquence, grandiloquence] 3: loud and confused and empty talk; "mere rhetoric" [syn: palaver, hot air, empty words, empty talk] 4: study of the technique and rules for using language effectively (especially in public speaking)

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

Now you tell me!  ;)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2005, 09:08:55 AM »

On a happier note, today is National Apple Pie Day.

And on this day in 1958, Velcro was trademarked.

And it's the Calaveras County Fair and Frog Jumping Jubilee!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

vixmom

« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2005, 09:12:11 AM »

Ah yes...I forgot congratulations yesterday to the Vixter for her nearly perfect score!

The Vixter is unable to personally accept her congratulations due to a previous commitment. Accepting the congratulations  on her behalf will be Vixmom

See,  all those years of watching award shows weren't completely wasted!!!   :D

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2005, 09:13:45 AM »

Did anybody here watch last night's APPRENTICE?

I really think based on last night's show Kendra has to have won (which is who i want to win).

I really liked tana before (and still sort of do). But her behavior last night was rude (to her team and to the governor's assistant).

I am so happy a woman will win!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2005, 09:13:53 AM »

Language that is elaborate, pretentious, insincere, or intellectually vacuous:

That describes my IAAAAWWOTD paper.

Oh! I wasn't going to type that again. OK, THAT was the last time I am going to type it.

Another swig of Cherry Coke...

vixmom

« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2005, 09:15:28 AM »

Some of my grades have already come in, but I'm still waiting on a couple. They don't mail grades out anymore. You have to get them over the Internet, so you find out about your classes one at a time. Graduation was yesterday, and not all the grades have come in yet. I hope they're not going to ungraduate anybody after all the grades come in.

This summer, I am taking another History class. History is NOT one of my favorite subjects. This will be the last one I have to take. Woo hoo! And it's Ancient Greece, so depending on the teacher, it might be interesting.

Oh, I am sorry you don't like history... I always loved it... not memorizing years things happened  you understand, I figured if I was within 20  or 50 years that was close enough  :D

But the stories themselves, oh how I loved that.  I look forward to your summer  posts.

vixmom

« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2005, 09:20:17 AM »

cool!

Ginny

« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2005, 09:25:21 AM »

Both the weekend of the 20 -22 and the Memorial Day weekend are entirely booked with Girl Scout stuff  

Don't hate me because I am "helping girls grow strong"
 :) ;) :D ;D

DR vixmom - I applaud and admire you for doing this!  Does the Vixter have interesting plans for summer vacation?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2005, 09:28:08 AM »

. And it's Ancient Greece, so depending on the teacher, it might be interesting.

maybe thinking of this will make Ancient Greece more enjoyable

(I hope your Mom isn't gonna yell at me now)

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2005, 09:29:24 AM »

History itself isn't boring (all those beheadings and whatnot), it's just that you average History teacher has the ability to make it boring. Not all History teachers, of course. Maybe it's just MY History teachers.

Vixmom, you weren't part of our group when I took a couple History classes from Ms. Hee-uh. She added the word "here" to the end of each sentence, and with her Australian accent, it came out "hee-uh."

"And in 1789, the Bastille was stormed, hee-uh. This marked the beginning of the French Revolution, hee-uh. Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette would later be beheaded, hee-uh."

I actually looked forward to this class so that I could count the number of hee-uhs in each lecture. And then the next semester, I took another class with her voluntarily for the same reason.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2005, 09:38:31 AM »

Perhaps food poisoning?  I am glad you feeling better.

That will teach me to eat my own cooking!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2005, 09:40:10 AM »

Film version of Rupert Holmes' WHERE THE TRUTH LIES directed by Atom Egoyan and starring Kevin Bacon and Colin Firth is being shown at Cannes today!  8)

http://www.firthessence.net/WTTLmovie.html

I didn't even know they were making it into a film!!  :P

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2005, 09:42:09 AM »

vixmom

« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2005, 09:44:27 AM »

DR vixmom - I applaud and admire you for doing this!  Does the Vixter have interesting plans for summer vacation?

I may be signing her up for a week of Girl Scout camp in August and we are going to Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada for two weeks in July to visit my inlaws

NOTICE! I WILL NOT BE POSTING AT ALL FOR THE LAST TWO WEEKS OF JULY!!!!

We are not sure about the girl scout camp yet because there is going to be a "Kids' revue" at the same theatre group wher she justed finished  Peter Pan and she wants to tryout for that.  Depending on whether she gets it and reheasal and show dates will determine if she'll go to camp.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2005, 09:49:55 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Had an excellent beauty sleep, with no birds singing their little hearts out.

Sandra:  I think you will find ancient Greece very interesting.  I once took a class in Ancient Grease - fascinating.  Many topics of fascination - what sort of grease they used for their marvelous chariots, what sort of grease they used to cook their collective geese, etc.

Ancient Grease - that's the title of my next novel.  Well, I must shave and shower for my noon lunch/meeting.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2005, 09:51:10 AM »

Someone just knocked on my door.  I asked who it was - they said "Jason" and he was wearing a hockey mask, so I didn't let him in.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2005, 09:51:41 AM »

Hey, my Mom and Dad used to go to that!

(Uh, as humans, not as frogs.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2005, 09:59:23 AM »

I know Dear Reader Jose asked a while back about my F. Scott Fitzgerald sentences. I’d have to get up to see what they were exactly, but here they are as best as I can remember them:

“The obvious example is the works of F. Scott Fitzgerald.” I was talking about how some books are reflections of the time periods in which they were written.

“It’s not that there’s anything wrong with F. Scott Fitzgerald, it’s just that his books are not exactly what I would call rollicking.” That was during one of my many tangents in my Rhetoric paper while I tried to fill up seven pages while still avoiding the question because I didn’t know what rhetoric was and I wasn’t even sure what the question was asking me. The book I was writing about had a review calling it “rollicking” and I took that and ran with it. That whole paper was actually one giant tangent. I got a B on it, by the way.

“It sounds more like the name of a short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald about how the Jazz Age changed American mentality than a History book about Stuart England.” That was for my History paper in which I was supposed to compare and contrast these two books we read about Stuart England. I got an A and I didn’t even read the books.

I had trouble getting F. Scott Fitzgerald into my IAAAAWWOTD paper (Oh, I typed it again! Another swig of Cherry Coke!), so it doesn’t flow as well as I would have liked. “Like F. Scott Fitzgerald defining the Jazz Age, R**** sums up the such-and-such (the condition of postcoloniality? I don’t remember) like this.” And there followed a quote from the book my teacher wrote. Her name is asterisked out just in case she Googles herself. The real beauty about this sentence is that a) I got to compare my teacher- an African-American feminist- to F. Scott Fitzgerald. How often do you get to do that? and b) I got to avoid the question I didn’t even understand by quoting my teacher, and she really can’t tell me it’s wrong, can she?

Unfortunately, I decided to put F. Scott Fitzgerald into all my papers after I’d already turned in my Musical Theater paper. Ironically, the play I wrote my paper on takes place in the ‘20s or ‘30s or something, so it would have been a cinch to stick him in there.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2005, 10:00:28 AM »

Ancient greece should be replaced with fresh on a regular basis, or the flavors will go rancid.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

vixmom

« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2005, 10:10:04 AM »

Ancient greece should be replaced with fresh on a regular basis, or the flavors will go rancid.

Mr. Vixmom swears yoou have really lived until you eaten chips made in beef drippings

vixmom

« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2005, 10:10:47 AM »

DR Sandra, what is your major?

vixmom

« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2005, 10:11:35 AM »

and your goals,aspirations and dreams?

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2005, 10:13:42 AM »

English. That's because I have the ability to write a seven-page paper about a book I haven't read and still get an A or a B. It's a gift.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up