Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WELCOMING JUNE WITH OPEN ARMS  (Read 20414 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WELCOMING JUNE WITH OPEN ARMS
« on: May 31, 2005, 11:57:52 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've welcomed the notes with open arms, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home, and when they do we will welcome them with open arms, let me tell you.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 12:00:06 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WELCOMING JUNE WITH OPEN ARMS
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 12:01:55 AM »

And the word of the day is: VERTEBRAE!  Hey, I'm a poet.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 12:55:50 AM »

And didn't know it!

FIRST (non-BK) POST!  HUZZAH!!

I loved (actually, still do) the orange sherbert and vanilla ice cream combos...you know, the ones in the little cups with the flat wooden "spoon"?  Fudgesicles have also always been a favorite.  Some time ago, I discovered Choco-Tacos.  They're a sugar cone in the shape of a taco shell filled with ice cream and fudge swirl and sealed in chocolate.  That's the best!  At work, we get Schwann's delivery and they have Push-'Ems:  ice cream in a cardboard tube with a plastic stick to push the ice cream up and out of the cardboard tube as you eat it.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 04:31:26 AM »

I second Fudgesicles! Choco-Tacos sound like fun.

I'm seeing Spelling Bee tonight as the Official Scripps National Spelling Bee begins today. Coinkeedink.

Here's a link to the official Bee site (not the theatre, but the real event)

http://www.spellingbee.com/

Hi, Larry. Just you and me this morning and I'm about to leave to wash my oatmeal bowl.

Later.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 04:31:42 AM by Ben »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 05:07:26 AM »

Hi, Larry. Just you and me this morning and I'm about to leave to wash my oatmeal bowl.

Later.
Hello, DRBen!  I just had my oatmeal as well, and now I'm off to 14th Street.  I've had a bear of a morning getting on line, which took around 50 minutes and a call to Time Warner.  I think I need a new modem, and Time Warmer tells me their first free date is next Tuesday. a mere 6 days away!  I took it, but if things keep acting up, I'll call to see if they have any cancellations.

Back around 3!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 05:08:48 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 05:12:47 AM »

Fudgesicles, Creamsicles, Dreamsicles, A Mr. Softee cone, and Sidewalk Sundaes.

Is Guy also happy with the reverb?
I like boat races.

SteveO

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 05:17:00 AM »

BK-The ice cream cones with the chocolate and nuts are called Drumsticks.  They are a mainstay in my freezer.
Be honest.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 05:25:21 AM »

Welcome to brand spankin' new DR SteveO!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Michael

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 05:42:10 AM »

BK already mentioned some of my favorites.
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 05:58:50 AM »

When I was a youngen in Camden, NJ, we had four--count 'em, four--different ice cream trucks that patrolled our neighborhood during the week.  Everyday, we had Mr. Softee, with it's wide variety of soft serve cones and sundaes.  Plus, there was an occasional give-a-way like a plastic baseball bat and ball or an iron-on transfer of the Mr Softee character.  Three to four days a week, the Freezer Fresh truck came around.  This one was my favorite because in addition to just soft serve ice cream, they had soft serve sherbert--a different flavor every week.  My favorite was orange.  Less frequently were the Jolly Roger and Good Humor trucks.  Jolly Roger had the soft serve cones and, like Good Humor, ice cream novelties.  The only one I clearly remember was an ice cream sandwich on a stick--it really made no sense because if you just held the stick the sandwich would inevitably fall apart and fall on the sidewalk (or more likely, onto your new shirt.)

Aside from the trucks, there was the ice cream case at my favorite corner store--Stems.  DR George already mentioned the ice cream cups with the flat wooden spoons--we called them dixie cups.  I remember somthing like Push 'Ems, too, but they were more of a hard frozen sherbert-type treat that came in red, white and blue.  There were the neopolitan squares that you could take to the counter and get a square ice cream cone to hold it in.  The frozen chocolate dipped bananas (which I could never finish.)  Rose's Italian Water Ice (came in a dixie cup container.)  Zero bars.  The whole Popsicle line--flavored ice pops, Fudgesicles, Creamsicles (still a favorite!).  And then there was the cheap treat--frozen squeezies--that were just flavored sugar water frozen in plastic tubes.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 06:01:21 AM »

-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 06:10:38 AM »

TOD - The Good Humor truck patrolled our neighborhood when I was growing up in Detroit.  My friends and I would sit on the curb and yell, "Wait a second!" in a way that my mom can still mimic.  I liked the 2-flavor popsicles - raspberry/orange, especially.

I took the second half of 8th grade in summer school (1964) and during our break, the vendor out front had something called a Seven-Up popsicle - very refreshing.

DH Richard and I vacationed in Bar Harbor, Maine, the first two summers we were married.  The dessert delicacy there was a Harbor Bar, 2 cookies with ice cream between, dipped in chocolate.  Almost too much!

My current decadent fave is Dove Bars - vanilla ice cream with dark chocolate.  When we're being good, we get Healthy Choice Low Fat Fudge Bars (or Mocha Swirl, just for me).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 06:12:04 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 06:28:56 AM »

I love those Snickers ice cream bars. Man, those are good.
Drumsticks, when I was a kid, were also called Nutty Buddies.

If in the SF Bay Area, look for something called an It's It, which is like a ice cream cookie sandwich dipped in chocolate.

MBarnum

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 06:41:27 AM »

Drumsticks for me or the ice cream sandwiches!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2005, 06:43:41 AM »

Welcome new DR SteveO.  Tell us about yourself....

TOD:  Not being much of an ice cream fan, I was never one to rush out to an ice cream truck.  (Especially since I would never know it was there until it hit East 37th Street, and the entrance to our apartment building was on East 38th Street.  So by the time I would have gotten around the block, the truck would have been gone.)  But when I do have a craving for a "novelty" these days it is usually for a Nutty Buddy/Drumstick, or one of those Snickers ice cream treats, which are addictive.  I do remember liking Baskin Robbins French Apple Pie flavor as a kid, which included not only little bits of cinnamon apples, but bits of pie crust as well.  And I recalll when Steve's made it to 6th Avenue & 11th Street in the Village in the early 80s, when I was at NYU.  Loved to have them mash a bunch of toppings into my serving.

But nothing beats a dish of good vanilla ice cream, topped with Fox's U-Bet chocolate syrup (not chocolate "sauce"), with maybe some finely chopped nuts.  If ever you are serving me an ice cream sundae, please hold the whipped cream.  I despise whipped cream with a passion.

Ginny

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2005, 06:43:55 AM »

DR Rodzinski - thanks for posting the picture of Danise last night.  The other person in that photo is my DN (dear niece) Laura, golf pro at Illinois State University.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2005, 06:46:52 AM »

If ever you are serving me an ice cream sundae, please hold the whipped cream.  I despise whipped cream with a passion.

DR Stuart - I also don't like whipped cream on ice cream.  Pumpkin pie, yes, and my mother's date pudding, definitely, but not ice cream.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2005, 06:52:45 AM »

DR Stuart - I also don't like whipped cream on ice cream.  Pumpkin pie, yes, and my mother's date pudding, definitely, but not ice cream.

Nuthin'.  Don't like whipped cream on nuthin'.   ;)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2005, 06:53:54 AM »

When I was a girl this fellow would come around at least twice a day
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2005, 06:55:27 AM »

DR Rodzinski - It's It's  ROCK.  They even come in coffee flavored if you can find them.  I think I'm too young to remember the Good Humor Man, but I've heard about him.  I agree with many DR's about cremesicles and drumsticks.  For a while, I was hooked on the Tofutti Bars from Trader Joes, they were low in fat and carbs, and very yummy-licious.  I do like those It's It's, though!!!  

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2005, 07:28:22 AM »

Nuthin'.  Don't like whipped cream on nuthin'.   ;)

Me, I put that nozzel right into my mouth and let it rip!
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2005, 07:41:27 AM »

In honor of the month of June I feel it is only right to celebrate my favorite actress...Ms. June Kenney, star of ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE, EARTH VS. THE SPIDER, SORORITY GIRL, VIKING WOMEN AND THE SEA SERPENT, THE CAT BURGLAR, TEENAGE DOLL, BLOOD-LUST, and HOT CAR GIRL!

Who else in all of Hollywood can boast of such credits?! Only June, that's who...now if she would only come out of hiding!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Ms. June Kenney!![/move]

MBarnum

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2005, 07:43:07 AM »

Perhaps everyone should name their favorite June Kenney movie...I know it will be difficult to pick just one, but go ahead and try!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2005, 07:47:55 AM »

Just received a nice package with a CD featuring the following film soundtracks in their entirety:
An Elephant Called Slowly
Hammersmith is Out (Dominic Frontiere)
Hello-Goodbye
Love American Style (TV show)
Stone
The Landlord
The People Next Door
The Soul of Ni***r Charley (Don Costa)

I recommend this website for some rare 60s and 70s film scores:
http://www.basichip.com/digitalgold/digitalgold.htm

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2005, 07:50:59 AM »

And for the TOD, I recommend the Lloyd Bacon film THE GOOD HUMOR MAN, even though June Kenney was not in it. But my favorite actress was, Ms. Lola Albright, and her then hubbie Jack Carson.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2005, 07:56:29 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up!  I'm up!

-And, yes, I was a complete and total Wussburger last night.  Not only did I not make it to the new Notes, but I also fell asleep with the lights on.  -I hate when that happens.

In any case...

Onto the food!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2005, 07:57:40 AM »

I remember in high school as a treat we would sometimes get something from the ice cream bar. My favorite was a raspberry sorbet.

I love ice cream.  Right now I'm in love with cookies n' cream.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2005, 08:07:18 AM »

I loved ice cream sandwiches, Fudgsicles, and Nutty Buddy's (but DR Rodzinski may have the spelling correct with "Buddies." The apostrophe on the word doesn't make sense, but that's how I remember them being spelled for some reason.)

The Dixie Cups were usually relegated to school ice cream or Vacation Bible School. Never seemed to have those at home.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2005, 08:08:24 AM »

You'd never know it was June from the look and feel of our weather. Cool again and rainy with high supposedly only reaching 71 today. Not that I'm complaining! The longer I can hold off firing up the central air conditioning, the better I like it (and so does my bank account.)

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2005, 08:09:50 AM »

Yes, I love ice cream very much, too. But because I tend to binge on foods I love, I have had to set a regimen for myself in regards to ice cream. I allow myself to have it once a week - usually on Friday. I've been favoring Breyers Lite French Chocolate lately.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up