Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WELCOMING JUNE WITH OPEN ARMS  (Read 20436 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:WELCOMING JUNE WITH OPEN ARMS
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2005, 08:11:01 AM »

DRs TCB and Jed. When does your ANNIE open? Sorry for not already knowing or remembering, but I HAVE been kind of preoccupied.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2005, 08:13:18 AM »

As for Ice Cream Treats:

The Good Humor Truck made many appearances in the various neighborhoods I grew up in, so...

Chocolate Eclairs - Those Chocolate and Vanilla treats with that sort of crunchy coating of indeterminate origin.  (Ah, almost and Drood reference.)  I also liked it's kissing cousins: Strawberry Shortcakes, Toasted Almonds(!!!) and I also seem to remember an Orange variation.

Good Humor made/makes King Cones.  I can't remember who made Nutty Buddy's - but I liked both of them.  I would usually buy Nutty Buddy's at school, and King Cones from the truck.  And there was something kind of "good" about a Nutty Buddy that had been in the freezer case a little too long - to the point where the cone got sort of chewy (stale).  But that also allowed to actually you "unwrap" the cone should you desire.

When Drumsticks finally started appearing in the grocery store, Steve and I would always have them in the freezer - along with a carton of Breyer's Vanilla.  I like the ones with the caramel center.  However, finding the Chocolate-Chocolate ones seems to get harder lately.  ;)

Dreamsicles - The Orange Sherbert-Vanilla bars.

Chipwich- The Original Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Bar - or something like that.  ;)

Italian Ices were a big favorite when we lived in Connecticut - Lemon, Cherry, Grape.

Bomb Pops - The Red White and Blue popsicles - do they still call them Bomb Pops?

Basically any frozen on a stick...

;D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 08:14:01 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2005, 08:14:27 AM »

Everytime I post I get thrown out of the site today... and then I have a devil of a time getting back in!!

ANYWAY

When the Good Humor Truck came by I would always get one of these

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2005, 08:17:47 AM »

OHH!!!!

And Klondike Bars - especially the Krunch variety - were always Beach Snack Bar food.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2005, 08:18:46 AM »

Oh, Vixmom, I remember and loved those!

vixmom

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2005, 08:20:52 AM »

We would also get this ice cream truck  every eveing.  In fact he still comes by every evening now.

My favorite was the  "micky Mouse" which I do not tink they make any more. It was a double cone of vanilla , the tops were dipped in chocolate sprinkles, they put two small minty chocolates in as eyes and a cherry fpr the nose......ah, back in the 1960's they cost a dime!!!

These days I get the double cone, half chocolate half vanilla with chocolate sprinkles  and  it costs slightly less than a new car

MBarnum

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2005, 08:22:18 AM »

I have noticed that the "Good Humor Man" is no longer a guy or gal in a truck-like automobile with lots of cute pictures of tasty treats all over, but now is a fairly plain looking van that looks more like something that would kidnap you rather then dole out ice cream. The only thing to identify it as an ice cream truck is some music...I just think they ought to put a little effort into appearance.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2005, 08:23:12 AM »

And from straightdope.com:

Dear Cecil:

OK, Popsicles and Fudgesicles I understand. So what's the difference between a Creamsicle and a Dreamsicle? --C.S., Chicago

The sherbet-like shell of the Creamsicle is identical to that of the Dreamsicle, but the payoff inside is ice cream in the former, ice milk in the latter. The difference in price, last time I checked, was about a nickel.

--CECIL ADAMS
[/size]
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2005, 08:23:42 AM »

Ya, Vixmom, that is what our ice cream trucks used to look like...but now, in Salem Or, they no longer look like that....maybe they do still in other places.

vixmom

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2005, 08:26:29 AM »

These days, in an effort to be "good" I satisfy my ice crem craving with  Marino's chocolate ices, Mr. Vixmom prefers the cherry or lemon

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2005, 08:40:51 AM »

Thanks so much, everybody at HHW.

Gone Hollywood left this morning about 9:30 CST.  All your good thoughts and vibes will be felt without their being spoken...thanks again.  :'(

Holly & Bogie & all our other lovely animal companions are waiting for us at Rainbow Bridge.

Love your doggies and kitties.   :)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2005, 08:43:34 AM »

Bomb Pops - The Red White and Blue popsicles - do they still call them Bomb Pops?

I believe they are now called Rocket Pops, or something like that.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2005, 08:45:38 AM »

Thanks for sharing the pic of Holly, JRand.  She was one special pup.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2005, 08:45:41 AM »

I do not believe Ellensburg even had an ice cream truck around when I was growing up.  Jed can correct me if I'm wrong, though.  So ice cream trucks were a rarity, and ice cream novelties were a store-bought item.  I have always been a HUGE fan of the ice cream sandwich and the creamsicle.  Back when I was a kid, I remember something called Push-Ups, related to DR George's Push-Ems.  They are still around, but not as I remember them.  I remember them filled with a strawberry sherbet that was light colored and delicious.  Now they are filled with a bright neon colored substance that claims to be blue raspberry or something.  The old kind used to be an after-church treat if my sister and I had behaved ourselves :)  

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2005, 08:55:42 AM »

JRand54, I am so sorry...what a beautiful pup she was. :'(

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2005, 09:00:19 AM »

DR Jrand, my thoughts are with you at this time.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2005, 09:04:23 AM »

My mother didn't believe all that ice cream and other treats were good for us, at least not before dinner.  We did not charge out to the ice cream truck every day.

In spite of the stares of disbelief I would get from the other kids in the neighborhood, that my mother could be such a tyrant, I don't believe my childhood was deprived simply because I didn't join them in their dash for the sweets.

I look at the grandlads now, whose mother lets them snack on whatever they want prior to dinner and thus have no appetite for dinner itself, and I think to myself that she's making some terrible mistakes.  Snacks should have limits.  Dinner should be a family time.  The whole "You don't have to eat it if you don't want to" line that she gives them is bull-loney!  And she wonders, of course, why her kids have little or no discipline.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

vixmom

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2005, 09:08:04 AM »

Ya, Vixmom, that is what our ice cream trucks used to look like...but now, in Salem Or, they no longer look like that....maybe they do still in other places.

Until I was about 12, so that would be oh...1969 or so, there was a little old Italian man who used to have a Good Humor freezer-bycle, that he would ride all around the neighborhood.....

vixmom

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2005, 09:10:05 AM »

I am so sorry Jack

vixmom

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2005, 09:11:13 AM »

Apropos of Nothing

I just received this and thought I would pass it on.....

A local United Way office realized that the organization had never received a donation from the town's most successful lawyer. The person in charge of contributions called him to persuade him to contribute. "Our research shows that out of a yearly income of at least $500,000, you give not a penny to charity. Wouldn't you like to give back to the community in some way?"
The lawyer mulled this over for a moment and replied, "First, did your research also show that my mother is dying after a long illness, and has medical bills that are several times her annual income?"
Embarrassed, the United Way rep mumbled, "Um ... no."
The lawyer interrupts, "Or that my brother, a disabled veteran, is blind and confined to a wheelchair?"
The stricken United Way rep began to stammer out an apology, but was interrupted again.
" Or that my sister's husband died in a traffic accident," the lawyer's voice rising in indignation, "leaving her penniless with three children?!"
The humiliated United Way rep, completely beaten, said simply, "I had no idea..."
On a roll, the lawyer cut him off once again, "So if I don't give any money to them, why should I give any to you?”

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2005, 09:12:03 AM »

Until I was about 12, so that would be oh...1969 or so, there was a little old Italian man who used to have a Good Humor freezer-bycle, that he would ride all around the neighborhood.....

I remember those!  I used to see something like that on the streets of Brooklyn on occasion, too!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2005, 09:13:13 AM »

Jrand, sorry to hear it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2005, 09:13:46 AM »

Drumsticks, that's it!  don't know why I can never remember that.

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2005, 09:23:30 AM »

Sorry DR Jrand. Good vibes to you. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2005, 09:28:55 AM »

Actually, when I used to see the official Ice Cream truck it was when I lived in Central Point....so for all I know the ones down that way still look like Ice Cream trucks....and for some reason I am obsessed with the thought they they should all look like Ice Cream trucks.

MBarnum

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2005, 09:29:28 AM »

How come nobody has named a favorite June Kenney movie?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2005, 09:35:14 AM »

JRand, so sorry to hear about your lovely pup!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2005, 09:37:16 AM »

...On a roll, the lawyer cut him off once again,...
Lawyers.  Can't live with 'em, can't live...well, can't live with 'em.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2005, 09:38:24 AM »

I was an ice cream sandwich, drumstick (or nutty buddy) man and I also liked push-ups...those orange sherbert thingies in the cardboard roll that you pushed up with the stick.

And I always loved the Dairy Queen chocolate dip cone.  Still do.  I remember loving Mr. Softee's ice cream.  Was it really that good...or is just the nostalgia of memory.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2005, 09:39:00 AM »

How come nobody has named a favorite June Kenney movie?

June, shmune.  Now, if was ED Kenney you were talking about....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up