Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WRITE LIKE THE WIND  (Read 27997 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:WRITE LIKE THE WIND
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2005, 05:50:23 AM »

My guess: The schoolhouse in The Birds.

You are correct, DR MS!  This is the schoolhouse used in the movie that actually exists in Bodega, CA.  At the time I visited the joint, it was a bed and breakfast, though the last I heard it was a private home.  Suzanne Pleshette's house next door was built for the movie and immediately removed afterwards. And those kids who ran from the bird attack must have been fast on their feet--the schoolhouse is actually about five miles away from downtown Bodega Bay.

The diner still exists, too.  We had a wonderful brunch there.  For some reason I didn't take any pictures of it.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Kerry

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2005, 05:50:24 AM »

I love "Sabrina,". "Funny Face," "How to Steal a Million," "Charade" and just about any Audrey Hepburn film, but those are my favorites.

Deborah Kerr could be good in anything she did.  Like AudreyHepburn, she made everything (even a few bad films) better by being in them. "King and I" and "Night of the Iguana" are favorites.  
"Affair to Remember" (which could have been pretty sappy) had a wonderful spark between Kerr and Cary Grant.

Sounds like Portland is the place to be right now.  Wish I could join you all.
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2005, 05:52:57 AM »

Page Two Dance:

"One two three and!"
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2005, 06:14:42 AM »

Audrey Hepburn:
Breakfast At Tiffany's
My Fair Lady
Roman Holiday
Wait Until Dark
Charade
Sabrina

Shucks, I guess I like just about all of Audrey's movies.

As for Deborah Kerr:
The Innocents
Night Of The Iguana
Prudence and the Pill
--I remember this being a very funny movie but I haven't seen it in ten years or so.
The Chalk Garden
The King & I
King Solomon's Mines
(though this one is unintentionally funny at times.)
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2005, 06:17:56 AM »

Have to post quickly today since I have that home theater set-up occupying the majority of my day.

Enjoyed the photos and glad the reading went well. It's great when so many h/ks get to meet one another. It brings our little family closer together.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2005, 06:20:25 AM »

Favorite Audrey Hepburn films: CHARADE, TWO FOR THE ROAD, WAIT UNTIL DARK, THE NUN'S STORY (one of my all-time favorite films).

Favorite Deborah Kerr films: THE KING & I, AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER, HEAVEN KNOWS, MR. ALLISON, THE SUNDOWNERS. I've never seen one of her most celebrated performances in BLACK NARCISSUS but will catch up to it one day.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2005, 06:36:05 AM »

TOD;
Audrey Hepburn: FUNNY FACE, WAIT UNTIL DARK,BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S, ROBIN & MARIAN, SABRINA and ROMAN HOLIDAY.
Deborah Kerr: THE KING AND I, (this is the only film of Ms. Kerr I’ve ever watched so far and which I perhaps have recognized her in…)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2005, 06:40:29 AM »

Hope at The Land of Port everyone goes on having fun, fun, fun, with dear BK.

Jed

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2005, 07:07:32 AM »

As has already been reported, last night's Portland get together was a thoroughly fun time.  Wonderful to finally meet MBarnum, George (whose fudge is indeed as yummilicious as we've been told), JMK, and BK in person.  Loads of laughs all around the room.  Now for a not-so-fun sleep deprived day at work!  Well worth it, though.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2005, 07:17:57 AM »

Good Morning!

I need some breakfast...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2005, 07:19:03 AM »

Oh...

Wonderful booksigning reports!

More pics!  More pics!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2005, 07:35:52 AM »

Well, your friendly neighborhood TV technician is out the door now. Wish me luck with this endeavor. I'll have a full report when I return tonight. Argh! Tonight!  :(

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2005, 07:44:33 AM »

Last night I dreamt I was at Manderley in my Maidenform bra.

What was extremely peculiar in this dream was that I was channeling some cast-album producer dude and he had somehow taken over my identity and was posting to his own website as me.

Thankfully, when I awoke and looked in the mirror, I was really and truly me, with my RAVEN tresses intact.

(Was I this delusional before BK arrived?  Don't answer that).

We have a very full and busy day today, dear readers, so please send your vibes to us.  We will have a blocking runthrough this morning, then a runthrough with the complete band (yay--I finally get to hear my charts in totality) this afternoon, then probably another, another runthrough (ooh, a Stoo Hample reference, kind of) after that.

Then we will adjourn to our various corners and PLOTZ, I tell you!!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2005, 07:51:23 AM »

I would just like to reiterate something I've said many times before, but which was once again abundantly in evidence last night:  the regulars here are some of the nicest, funniest and most enjoyable people on this little planet we all share.  It's really quite remarkable when you think about it:  most of us had never met before hooking up here, and yet when we get together (as happened last year, too), it's like we've known each other our whole lives.  What a joy!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2005, 08:11:13 AM »

I also enjoyed reading about the Portland get-togethers.  Sounds like it was loads of fun!

And DRs Ann and Jed, have you been holding out on us??? :)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2005, 08:13:42 AM »

Jed where are you currently working?  I'm sorry I can't remember.  Have you heard anything from the library?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2005, 08:18:55 AM »

As has already been reported, last night's Portland get together was a thoroughly fun time.  Wonderful to finally meet MBarnum, George (whose fudge is indeed as yummilicious as we've been told), JMK, and BK in person.  Loads of laughs all around the room.

Yeah, what he said.
It was a wonderful gathering, from start to finish.  I very much enjoying hearing BK read from his books, and the dinner afterwards was a delight, filled with sparkling conversation and laughter and legs.  Meeting MBarnum, JMK, George, et all, was a true joy.  What a great group of folks!
All in all, well worth a day of being "sick" :)  

Now here's hoping I don't get in trouble when I get to work today...

Jane

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2005, 08:19:13 AM »

Jennifer check out Ann’s post on June 15th at 11:09:57 PM

Jane

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2005, 08:20:01 AM »

Ann good luck at work.  I hope to meet you next time I'm in Portland.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2005, 08:25:05 AM »

Ann good luck at work.  I hope to meet you next time I'm in Portland.

Yes indeed!  It really is too bad you couldn't make it up last night.  Getting the chance to meet you would have made the evening truly complete.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2005, 08:28:33 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up.  I've had my cereal.

And now...  Hmmm....

???
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2005, 08:29:11 AM »

The photo of Deborah Kerr looks like the moths got to her wardrobe.

:o

Ahh, that must be a photo from "The Gypsy Moths" in which she costarred with Burt Lancaster.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2005, 08:31:28 AM »

OH!

I got a report from yesterday's first day of auditions for the upcoming revival of A Chorus Line in New York City.

MAD HOUSE!

Lots of people.  Lots of press.  Even HBO was filming!

Ah, to be a fly on the wall!  -If there was room on the wall!

*I'm just trying to imagine what else is in store along the way.  They're not even supposed to go into rehearsal until NEXT year at this time!
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2005, 08:38:49 AM »

OH!

I got a report from yesterday's first day of auditions for the upcoming revival of A Chorus Line in New York City.

MAD HOUSE!

Lots of people.  Lots of press.  Even HBO was filming!

Ah, to be a fly on the wall!  -If there was room on the wall!

*I'm just trying to imagine what else is in store along the way.  They're not even supposed to go into rehearsal until NEXT year at this time!

I'll bet the most sought after role is the guy who can't dance a lick in the opening scene.  That's the one I would go for.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2005, 08:39:20 AM »

Hmm....  I noticed this at the end of press release regarding AI's
Bo Bice being signed by RCA:

"American Idol" producer Fremantle Media, meanwhile, has reportedly licensed the show's popular name for an Internet radio station that will be called American Idol Underground and will be launched this fall.

For a $50 fee, anybody will be able to upload their music to the site, where it will receive at least 200 plays. Online users will be able to sample the music and rate it. According to Billboard, the top-rated tracks will be judged every six months by a panel of celebrity judges (all to be determined), who will pick the best tracks in a variety of genres.
[/size]

Hmmm...

Why do I have the feeling that this radio station will be raking in the bucks?

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2005, 08:42:04 AM »

I'll bet the most sought after role is the guy who can't dance a lick in the opening scene.  That's the one I would go for.

;)

That's actually a very hard role to cast!  The dancer/actor really needs to "know" how to dance badly while NOT breaking or pulling anything.  *And keep in mind, EVERYONE still has to do the initial combination right, so...

Again!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2005, 08:45:58 AM »

Deborah Kerr was, for many years, my favorite actress.  Of course, she had to share that honor on occasion with Susan Hayward.  It all depended on who had the most recent movie showing on NBC's "Saturday Night At the Movies" back in the olden days of the early 1960s.

Of course, the films I saw her in were "An Affair to Remember" and "Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison" and "The Journey."  Later came "The Sundowners" and "The Innocents".  "The King and I" and "From Here to Eternity" were opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of performance/character and I thought she could do NO wrong.  Only in the past couple of years have I had the great pleasure of seeing her in "Black Narcissus."  Add to that the stunning WB DVD issue of "King Solomon's Mines" in which Kerr's beauty was nearly rapturous.  Deborah Kerr is a unique screen legend -- an extraordinary beauty with a magnificent talent.

The same can be said of Audrey Hepburn.  My first encounter with Ms. Hepburn was in 1956 when, at the age of 7, I saw her in "War and Peace."  That was the key year in my movie-going memory.  My first recall of movies -- of actually watching and being absorbed in the movies -- was in 1956.  "War and Peace" made a profound impression upon me and I still love watching it.  Other films I remember seeing from that year were "Anastasia" and "The Ten Commandments."

I recall seeing Hepburn in "Green Mansions" on "Saturday Night at the Movies" when NBC switched from the Fox catalog to the MGM catalog.  It wasn't until "Charade" that I saw a Hepburn movie in a theater again.  I had seen "The Nun's Story" on TV, as well as "Funny Face."  When I saw her in "Two For the Road," I was so mesmerized by her Joanna that I thought the world was going to end when she announced, after "Wait Until Dark", that she was retiring from films to get married.  Both those films were/are wonderful and strong memories of the mid-1960s for me.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 08:48:32 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2005, 08:48:14 AM »

;)

That's actually a very hard role to cast!  The dancer/actor really needs to "know" how to dance badly while NOT breaking or pulling anything.  *And keep in mind, EVERYONE still has to do the initial combination right, so...

Again!

Damn!  Another roadblock in my path to fame!  >:(
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2005, 08:49:43 AM »

That picture of BK and JMK looks very similar to the back table at Joe Allen's where the East Coasters gather when there is a big crowd. Are you sure you didn't teleport yourselves here to the center of the world after that reading?

Of course, there are no posters on the wall from flop Broadway (and out of town) musicals but nevertheless, you could have changed the decor to try and fool us.
Joe Allen's has a branch in Pellucidar?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2005, 08:52:19 AM »

"...And Jed says he doesn't take kindly to people calling his girlfriend rude."

So said Ann in the post to which Jane refers. So Ann just slipped it in there right under our noses! Sweet romance!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up