Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WET METAPHOR  (Read 34012 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE WET METAPHOR
« Reply #240 on: April 18, 2008, 03:07:35 PM »

I prefer "It's Raining Men."

Actually...so do I. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #241 on: April 18, 2008, 03:14:17 PM »

Doesn't the name Johnny Mathis mean anything to you???

Ya, but what had he to do with that little spotted colt?

MBarnum

« Reply #242 on: April 18, 2008, 03:14:36 PM »

MBarnum

« Reply #243 on: April 18, 2008, 03:16:12 PM »

JMK, when does your review of SAAWARIYA come out?

MattH, have you watched DOSTI: FRIENDS FOREVER yet? I am so curious as to what your thoughts on it are/will be....and if you cry/ed as much as I did.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 03:16:27 PM by MBarnum »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #244 on: April 18, 2008, 03:19:53 PM »

Ya, but what had he to do with that little spotted colt?

Oh Mikey, sometimes I just want to hug you.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #245 on: April 18, 2008, 03:31:47 PM »

"Misty" - is as well known as "Ebb Tide" and "Volare" DR Michael! Well by the people in the real world.

IMHO "Misty" is one of the ten best popular songs of the 20th Century!

I'm sure there is a Bollywood version of "Play Misty for Me".

Did I include Sukiyaki?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #246 on: April 18, 2008, 03:32:02 PM »

It is starting to rain here, but we have been warned that we could get snow tonight or tomorrow.  Spring has sprung.   :-\

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 03:33:22 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #247 on: April 18, 2008, 03:33:19 PM »

Of course it's possible that Clint Eastwood starred in or directed or at least made the day of "Misty of Chincoteague".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

FJL

« Reply #248 on: April 18, 2008, 03:36:21 PM »

I believe I've mentioned PLAY MITZI FOR ME, the comedy about the director of a bus-and-truck tour of South Pacific trying to copy the performances in the film

Tomovoz

« Reply #249 on: April 18, 2008, 03:40:45 PM »

Did the bus and trucks have colour (color) filtered windows?
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #250 on: April 18, 2008, 03:42:14 PM »

I would have typed windscreens but I think they are called windshields in the USA.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #251 on: April 18, 2008, 03:43:01 PM »

I may just be confusing them with the windshields of my mind.
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #252 on: April 18, 2008, 03:43:44 PM »

Congratulations to DR GINNY on her successful enterprise.

Soon I will be able to leave this place and head home and get something to EAT.....

It is coincidental that my birthday twin and I were both held against our will at workplaces today....and such lovely weather outside.

The earthquake was very noisy, but aside from a few tumbled books, and a picture askew, nothing seemed amiss (or amister) this morning.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #253 on: April 18, 2008, 03:44:29 PM »

It is nice to know that HHW still works on Friday afternoons....and early evenings.

Hurray.....Natalie was voted off Big Brother two days ago.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Cillaliz

« Reply #254 on: April 18, 2008, 03:48:39 PM »

Good afternoon!   Well the talk this noon went very well. It was an interesting group of people, mostly retired college professors in their 70s and 80s who get together once a week and have lunch and a speaker.  Boy! They asked a lot of questions that led to a friendly banter and a really good discussion of the issues.   Everyone seemed pleased with the way things went and they asked me to join their group!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #255 on: April 18, 2008, 03:49:46 PM »

Good afternoon!   Well the talk this noon went very well. It was an interesting group of people, mostly retired college professors in their 70s and 80s who get together once a week and have lunch and a speaker.  Boy! They asked a lot of questions that led to a friendly banter and a really good discussion of the issues.   Everyone seemed pleased with the way things went and they asked me to join their group!

Well, if the age fits...................
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #256 on: April 18, 2008, 03:50:46 PM »

DR Ginny, I did have 2 Myths and Realities handouts, the citizenship quiz questions for people over 65 and a NYT article about people being deported after applying for citizenship.   I noticed that no one left them behind, so they must have been interested

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #257 on: April 18, 2008, 03:51:02 PM »

;D
You'd be surprised how many people can't spell the name "Jean"--

Including your parents :)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Cillaliz

« Reply #258 on: April 18, 2008, 03:53:07 PM »

Well, if the age fits...................

;D  They are trying to get younger people to join their group which is getting smaller "due to illness and death"  I must say the conversation was some of the most interesting I've been around for a long time. One of the women there was a feminist trailblazer of sorts and all had varied and interesting points of view.  It may be fun to join them

Cillaliz

« Reply #259 on: April 18, 2008, 03:56:44 PM »

The prosecutor involved in my trial that starts Monday is still out investigating and trying to dig up witnesses. I'm having witness problems, but I think I may have them resolved.  Monday we pick the jury, Tuesday we will do openings and most of the evidence and we'll finish up on Wednesday.  It's a pretty simple trial. Did my client have a gun or didn't he.  It's been awhile since I had a jury trial. I'm really looking forward to it.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #260 on: April 18, 2008, 03:57:44 PM »

;D  They are trying to get younger people to join their group which is getting smaller "due to illness and death"  I must say the conversation was some of the most interesting I've been around for a long time. One of the women there was a feminist trailblazer of sorts and all had varied and interesting points of view.  It may be fun to join them

Be careful, Cilla!  First they get you to join, and next thing you know, they have you eating prunes.
“One thing’s universal,

DERBRUCER

« Reply #261 on: April 18, 2008, 03:58:18 PM »

TOD

Acting the the wet blanket to a well-intentioned proposal:

BEST FRIENDS

Parroting the Best Friends line

Thankfully, the U.S. outlawed the import of wild parrots in 1992, but large-scale domestic commercial breeders continue to operate, exacerbating the problem of too many birds and not enough people or sanctuaries willing or able to care for them.

Cordrey pointed out that parrots alive today in the U.S. are, for the most part, the legacy of birds plucked from their natural habitats and sold into the pet trade before 1992. Only a generation or two removed from the wild, they maintain the instincts and needs of wild animals and are therefore ill-suited to spending their lives in cages. It’s one reason so many parrots suffer from neurotic, self-mutilating behaviors and why Best Friends is committed to ending the trade.

Best Friends’ position is that parrots should not be made into pets, Cordrey says. Of course, we are committed to doing what we can for the birds who already are pets and are therefore dependent on people.

“There are people out there who do have good relationships with their parrots,” Cordrey says, “but if that relationship should end, those birds will suffer the emotional trauma of separation. And that happens to the majority of pet birds.”
Parrots can have a long lifespan, so they are usually passed from one home to another, having, on average, seven to ten different ones in their lifetimes. Unable to cope with one separation after another, many birds end up with more neurotic behaviors, such as feather plucking.

In conjunction with Community Programs and Services at Best Friends, the Parrot Garden will also begin exploring ways to encourage the large pet store chains to end the sale of parrots, and to instead partner with local parrot rescue organizations and host adoption events.

It seems to be that if we sponsor adoption events for big birds at Pet Stores, we still serve as "enablers" for the breeders - adoption or not, we are still popularizing wild birds a captive pets.

der Brucer

Cillaliz

« Reply #262 on: April 18, 2008, 03:59:02 PM »

Be careful, Cilla!  First they get you to join, and next thing you know, they have you eating prunes.

Prunes, schmunes...they eat steak, salad and lots of dessert

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #263 on: April 18, 2008, 04:01:59 PM »

I believe I've mentioned PLAY MITZI FOR ME, the comedy about the director of a bus-and-truck tour of South Pacific trying to copy the performances in the film

Starring Randy Jones of The Village People? Isn't he the one with the "call me Peggy" gossip going around for years?

I see John Doyle will direct BOUNCE at the Public. Isn't his 15 minutes over already? I thought the Metropolitan Opera debacle of PETER GRIMES was the nail in the coffin.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #264 on: April 18, 2008, 04:05:41 PM »

Prunes, schmunes...they eat steak, salad and lots of dessert

Don't say you weren't warned.
“One thing’s universal,

DERBRUCER

« Reply #265 on: April 18, 2008, 04:06:45 PM »

We've been addressing packages like crazy and they're all almost all done.  

Have we not yet moved into the new century where we print out mailing labels from our data base?

der Brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #266 on: April 18, 2008, 04:15:55 PM »

It is starting to rain here, but we have been warned that we could get snow tonight or tomorrow.  Spring has sprung.   :-\

I know! :o How freaky is that??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #267 on: April 18, 2008, 04:16:55 PM »

CDs are here, and we've packaged about four hundred already.  Looks and sounds good, I think.   For those who don't know, we had to master this from one of Steve's privately pressed LPs - I've had several over the years, all very noisy, but the last copy I got was great, but had the tape bauble that his old 7 1/2 ips tape had and which is on all the LPs.  My mastering guy did an amazing job - you'd never know it wasn't from tape.  It does have the sound anomolies it's always had (one track, for example, sounds like it was recorded "live" on the stage - everything else is prerecorded).  And we fixed the bauble - the bauble had resulted in two words being omitted from the song When.  I sent my mastering guy a DVD of the broadcast and he was able to get just those two words and insert them in a way that you simply cannot tell - in fact, he had to send me the exact timing for me to even be able to locate it.  So, I'm hoping everyone will be very happy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #268 on: April 18, 2008, 04:18:30 PM »

do you have your teddy?

He probably has a lovely one from Frederick's of Hollywood.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #269 on: April 18, 2008, 04:28:34 PM »

Did my client have a gun or didn't he.  

It really matters not whether he did or not; what matters is whether the Government can convince the jury he did (or you can convince one juror he might not have).

der Brucer
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up