Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: CLUTTER  (Read 30831 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:CLUTTER
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2007, 09:30:28 AM »

vibes to DR Jrand!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2007, 09:31:01 AM »

I was doing some reading amid the days I missed and had to chuckle at the Bush joke that DerBrucer posted the other day...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2007, 09:31:02 AM »

I have decided to stay home today and work on de-cluttering. I've been working every day and then working at the new house at night, and I REALLY need to address the clutter.

bk, one look at my house would make yours seem neat and spacious in comparison.

When we move, we are going to be exiting quite a few groups that seem to involve a lot of paper work. Plus we won't be as involved in the city, (more paperwork!).

I've been in this 1,000 sf house for 27 years and am a packrat, plus I seem to have married someone who isn't as much of a packrat but conservative and hates waste. Therefore, unless there is a way to recycle something or find someone who can use it, I have to throw things out on the sly!

I am going to try and be brutal today and thin the herd of books and clothes!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 09:33:00 AM by Edisaurus »
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2007, 09:32:05 AM »

Yes, thank you, Jose, there is one here. I checked with them a while back. They were very particular about what they would accept--only large sizes, for one thing. Mine are all small sizes.

Hmmmmmm. Maybe *I* can be of some help! :D
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2007, 09:32:16 AM »

Vibes to Edi on de-cluttering!

Edisaurus

« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2007, 09:33:37 AM »

Thanks, Dakota! If I find any extra Irish music CD,s I'll send them your way!

Edisaurus

« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2007, 09:35:37 AM »

I'm not a big fan of Kirk, and less of his son (more for personal reason---I think his acting is OK) but bk's review makes me want to check out that film!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2007, 09:37:16 AM »

One more post about decluttering. Several years ago when I had a lot to get rid of I phoned quite a few organizations, looking for homes. I learned that some accept furniture, some accept clothing, very few pick up these day. Virtually all accept cash. Knowing who to go to is an art. And, of course, this changes. My favorite thrift shop with the courteous manager who would send someone around to pick up my donations is no longer. I see people throw out no send of stuff that still have life left in it. Just yesterday, a friend in LA was telling me about someone he knows who furnished her whole house with items that folks in Beverly Hills threw out.

I have all sorts of odds and ends from renovation that I've offered to (1) my old handyman (Marvelous Matt doesn't want them), who is a worse pack rat than me, (2) my friend Bart, who renovates lots of old houses. I'll take some things to the local ReStore, too, for a tax deduction. (I have $1100 worth of thermal panes for the french doors, which are the wrong thickness. The guy from the glass company failed to measure them properly. Fortunately, the company supplied the correct panes, but only after a lengthy battle.)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2007, 09:43:09 AM »

I will say this: throwing out gets easier as you build up momentum. Is it that I found that I survived without that last pile'o'stuff? Am I losing my packrattedness? Or is it the high cost of housing these days, which prohibits me from the size of house I'd like? Don't know, but I'm still tossing.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2007, 09:46:31 AM »

This must be the official decluttering day.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2007, 09:47:39 AM »

My friend Sydney took two days off work this week just to go through her clutter and reorganize. I sometimes sell my used videos and DVDs to her; I KNOW she must have a huge collection!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2007, 09:47:48 AM »

We should all weigh the stuff we declutter.

Maybe we should give away the good stuff and give a dollar donation per pound to a food bank for the junk we throw in the trash.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2007, 09:47:53 AM »

Jeanne, Check with Habitat for Humanity I know they accept some building supplies as do building rehab places.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2007, 09:49:17 AM »

LIbraries like donations of DVDs and CDs. I know NDSU is trying to create a DVD library for students to check out for fun and amusements. Professors have even used them for different classes.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2007, 09:49:26 AM »

This must be the official decluttering day.

Just keeping with the title of today's Notes. That is all.  ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2007, 09:50:28 AM »

Did I miss his post about Bush?
No, we're having a Douglas debate.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2007, 09:51:38 AM »

declutter, declutter, declutter....

Just look at what bk started... I have been cleaning all morning... It must be his magical powers!!!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2007, 09:51:54 AM »

I am getting tired of the live news reports about the Harry Potter book.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2007, 09:52:12 AM »

Jeanne, Check with Habitat for Humanity I know they accept some building supplies as do building rehab places.
Oh! Good point. I will. Thanks.

as do building rehab places...

Not sure what you mean.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2007, 09:52:38 AM »

I have dead computer equipment I want to get rid of.... The fargo landfill wont allow them...

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2007, 09:53:46 AM »

LIbraries like donations of DVDs and CDs. I know NDSU is trying to create a DVD library for students to check out for fun and amusements. Professors have even used them for different classes.

Another good point--and one I usually forget. See? there are lots of homes for our stuff--we just need to match donor and donee.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2007, 09:53:57 AM »

Personally, I'm rather fond of my clutter.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2007, 09:54:06 AM »

Jeanne,

There are people who collect different pieces  for people who are restoring old houses or just remodeling..

It may be similar to the ReStore that you mentioned. They are called Rehab Builds here.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2007, 09:56:04 AM »

I have dead computer equipment I want to get rid of.... The fargo landfill wont allow them...

Do you have an electronics recycling program in your area? I dropped off a bunch of stuff at mine last month, along with the hazmat stuff.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2007, 09:56:16 AM »

Edi, love Irish music...

I actually got rid of some cds that I no longer wanted and gave them to the Fargo Public Library and some books on tape.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2007, 09:57:53 AM »

NO we dont... I wish we did Jeanne... I have a Monitor and an old scanner that are sitting here in my office. I am presently using the monitor as a hassock

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2007, 09:58:23 AM »

Personally, I'm rather fond of my clutter.

Yeah, that's why it's so hard to get rid of. Personally, I do NOT agree with the anti-clutter people who tell you to get rid of anything you haven't used in a year. I believe that many old things have fond memories or just bring pleasure and should be kept.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2007, 10:02:03 AM »

Jeanne,

There are people who collect different pieces  for people who are restoring old houses or just remodeling..

It may be similar to the ReStore that you mentioned. They are called Rehab Builds here.

Yes, probably similar.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2007, 10:04:05 AM »

Yeah, that's why it's so hard to get rid of. Personally, I do NOT agree with the anti-clutter people who tell you to get rid of anything you haven't used in a year. I believe that many old things have fond memories or just bring pleasure and should be kept.
Does anyone ever use a high school yearbook?

Der Brucer is more of a clutterer than I am.  He gets highly displeased when one of his "stacks" gets moved, because he knows exactly what is in each and every stack.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: July 21, 2007, 10:04:13 AM »

NO we dont... I wish we did Jeanne... I have a Monitor and an old scanner that are sitting here in my office. I am presently using the monitor as a hassock

Some high schools accept old computers and such so the students can take them apart and learn about them.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up