Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: I COME TO DAMN EBAY  (Read 52384 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:I COME TO DAMN EBAY
« Reply #390 on: February 20, 2008, 08:18:59 PM »

DR MattH - <nod>
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #391 on: February 20, 2008, 08:19:36 PM »

DR MBarnum - Any chance you'll be back in NYC the second week in March for THIS?

Ah, darn!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #392 on: February 20, 2008, 08:20:35 PM »

Once I caught up to the live IDOL show, I flipped over to COMPANY where they were at the "pot scene." In the COMPANY that I was in, that scene always got very big laughs. I thought the audience sounded kind of dead during much of the scene. (The guy playing David was cute, cute, cute.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #393 on: February 20, 2008, 08:21:11 PM »

You know, this season of BIG BROTHER is really bad.

BIG BROTHER is my favorite contestant show and I always enjoy it...but the contestants this time are really not very likeable or appealing at all.

But I guess I will still watch it.

MBarnum

« Reply #394 on: February 20, 2008, 08:22:31 PM »

DR JoseP, you do not have to belong to either Ebay or Paypal to get those spoof e-mails. My mom gets them all of the time and she has never used either.

Matt H.

« Reply #395 on: February 20, 2008, 08:24:16 PM »

I have just the opposite feeling about IDOL, DR MBarnum. I am unimpressed by almost everyone connected with IDOL this season, and I may very definitely stop watching this season. I will probably give them one more week to do something sensational (chalk up this week to opening night jitters.)

But last year we had already been wowed by Melinda Dolittle and the one who sang "And I Am Telling You."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #396 on: February 20, 2008, 08:24:18 PM »

Once I caught up to the live IDOL show, I flipped over to COMPANY where they were at the "pot scene." In the COMPANY that I was in, that scene always got very big laughs. I thought the audience sounded kind of dead during much of the scene. (The guy playing David was cute, cute, cute.)

I remember sitting in the audience during the first taping, and you could tell that people were wondering just how much they could react to the show - laughs, applause, etc.  -Especially since there was a boom mic and a camera floating over the orchestra section, and two guys with steadi-cams running up and down the aisles.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #397 on: February 20, 2008, 08:26:23 PM »

I also lied earlier today when I said I had no more box sets. In looking over the stack of stuff waiting to be reviewed, I did have a two disc TV set called HUMAN GIANT. It's an MTV comedy show along the lines of SCTV, and I watched the first episode of that tonight (16 minutes), and it was hilarious. Never heard of these guys, and it was fall out of the chair funny. (Raunchier than SCTV, of course.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #398 on: February 20, 2008, 08:26:47 PM »

Back from a three hour work session - had a bite to eat, and am now watching a motioni picture on DVD.

Matt H.

« Reply #399 on: February 20, 2008, 08:27:53 PM »

I remember sitting in the audience during the first taping, and you could tell that people were wondering just how much they could react to the show - laughs, applause, etc.  -Especially since there was a boom mic and a camera floating over the orchestra section, and two guys with steadi-cams running up and down the aisles.

I still plan to record it tomorrow night in HD and watch it at some point over the weekend. I didn't get to see any musical numbers so of course I'm curious about how that all works out.

Matt H.

« Reply #400 on: February 20, 2008, 08:28:44 PM »

LAW & ORDER had a very absorbing case dealing with the death penalty in South Carolina, believe it or not. Very satisfying end to the story.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #401 on: February 20, 2008, 08:28:45 PM »

DR TCB - I think motion picture production itself is interesting, and Universal-International is a studio that also has special interest for me.   And the budgets themselves are kind of a back stage look at how the business was run then.

Finding things like that.....and of course some crazed Orson Welles/Touch of Evil fan may want to pay me some $$$ for its budget someday....or it may just be junk to be tossed when I kick the bucket.

One of my favorite things I bought was a Warner Bros television memo to various departments telling directors to keep Connie Stevens from walking like an elephant in long shots on Hawaiian Eye, and to keep the actors from sitting on the furniture between takes....funny stuff.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #402 on: February 20, 2008, 08:29:23 PM »

DR JoseP, you do not have to belong to either Ebay or Paypal to get those spoof e-mails. My mom gets them all of the time and she has never used either.

Oh, I guess I should have also mentioned, that I had a "stolen e-Bay identity" issue last year, which, thankfully, was resolved after contact with e-Bay customer service.  Even the customer service rep was surprised at what happened considering the last time I had logged into my account before dealing with that issue was two years(!) prior. Of course, it took me a while to realize that some of the "spoof" e-mails I was receiving weren't "spoofs" at all, and then after the issue was identified, I had to open each possibly spoof e-mail to make sure they were "legit".  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #403 on: February 20, 2008, 08:30:54 PM »

Well....I enjoyed COMPANY.....I think some of the performances were very good.  I liked Raul very much.  I thought the staging because of the actors playing the music wasn't as much fun or inventive as it might have been otherwise....mostly just a series of solving problems of who has to be where to be heard and to play....but very well costumed and lit, too.

Nice show.  PWOJECT WUNWAY disappointed me greatly with the choice of the "fan favorite."  

And yes DR GINNY - it's a Tri State final on Teen Jeopardy!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #404 on: February 20, 2008, 08:31:52 PM »

I think COMPANY strikes single people differently than it does married people...but then again, I guess I don't know how it strikes married people.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #405 on: February 20, 2008, 08:34:22 PM »

I think I got a few pics of the eclipse....I shall check them out in the morning.

Cillaliz

« Reply #406 on: February 20, 2008, 08:34:32 PM »

I managed to watch COMPANY, well most of it AND see the lunar eclipse.  I called my mother and Paul and we could all see it out our windows, which is a good think because it's really cold out.  I should go look again, it won't be over for a while.

td

• td
« Reply #407 on: February 20, 2008, 08:34:34 PM »

Regarding COMPANY:
Color me underwhelmed.  Completely.  Totally.
Unlike DR Ginny, I despised it more that I thought I would - for I like the recording very much.
Unlike DR Jose, I was tittering all through "Being Alive," as I was seeing and hearing the ghost of Anthony Newley possessing Raul Esparza's being.  When he asked, "What do you get?"  I replied out loud, "YOU get a Steinway!"
I've seen and heard better acting, musicianship and singing with drunken revelers in piano bars.
The camera work was, IMHO, atrocious.
The concept was pretentious crap.
I didn't catch a single moment of truth in any of the performances, well, possibly in Heather Law's Amy.
Normally, I love Barbara Walsh, but her Joanne was just a grating bitch.
Like DR elmore, I thought the whole thing looked like the orchestra was on strike.
My thoughts on PBS' COMPANY:

OUCH!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #408 on: February 20, 2008, 08:37:46 PM »

Well....I enjoyed COMPANY.....I think some of the performances were very good.  I liked Raul very much.  I thought the staging because of the actors playing the music wasn't as much fun or inventive as it might have been otherwise....mostly just a series of solving problems of who has to be where to be heard and to play....but very well costumed and lit, too.

From what I saw of tonight's broadcast, I was sort of surprised at how many individual and close-up shots there were.  The sense of the "carousel" of actors, and Bobby's self-isolation was a bit diminished.

And to pick up something that DR MattH mentioned... That was one of the most handsome and cutest and mature casts on Broadway at the time. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #409 on: February 20, 2008, 08:39:24 PM »

Company kept me up way past my bedtime.

'night!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #410 on: February 20, 2008, 08:42:07 PM »

...And, actually, I don't like the sound of the OCR of this Company.  However, the inclusion of the snippets of dialogue is a definite plus in my book.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #411 on: February 20, 2008, 08:43:34 PM »

Jose -

VERY SLIGHT ADDING MACHINE SPOILER

I think THE ADDING MACHINE is an example of writers setting out to do what they wanted to do and doing it dazzlingly from a theatrical perspective, but it has a very bleak view of the world and who we are, a message that may keep people from recommending the show to their friends.  I expect good reviews for its high quality, but fear for the show's commercial potential - it would have been easy for the creators of the musical to give the thing a hopeful spin, but they opted not to do so.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 08:44:59 PM by FJL »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #412 on: February 20, 2008, 08:44:44 PM »

DR FJL - Thank you.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #413 on: February 20, 2008, 08:46:03 PM »

Spoo, got there too late with my ADDING MACHINE spoiler warning.

FJL

« Reply #414 on: February 20, 2008, 08:48:23 PM »

Did I already say this:  Joe Farrell of TRADING SPACES FAMILY fame is excellent in ADDING MACHINE.  I didn't realize it was he until reading the Playbill afterwards.

Cillaliz

« Reply #415 on: February 20, 2008, 08:49:25 PM »

They did say COMPANY is available on DVD. They gave the phone number to call to order it at the end, I didn't see it on the website.  You can call 1-800-336-1917 or mail order Company, P.O. Box 2284, South Burlington, VT 05407
It's $24.99 plus shipping

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #416 on: February 20, 2008, 08:52:15 PM »

...And it would also have been nice to have a high-quality video and audio recording of Jessica Wright's "Amy".  She played "Amy" during a good chunk of the Broadway previews while Heather Laws was having and recovering from the birth of her baby.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #417 on: February 20, 2008, 08:53:37 PM »

Spoo, got there too late with my ADDING MACHINE spoiler warning.

No worries.  My friends in the show have already filled me in on all the "darkness".  I still look forward to experiencing the execution.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #418 on: February 20, 2008, 08:54:31 PM »

Yes, I'll look forward to COMPANY not only for the score but (on a totally superficial level) for the eye candy.

Nice.

Cillaliz

« Reply #419 on: February 20, 2008, 08:54:53 PM »

The missles hit the satellite, they are hoping it will come down in the Pacific Ocean. Hope they are right
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Up