Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PARAGRAPH ABOVE  (Read 26310 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE PARAGRAPH ABOVE
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2004, 12:52:13 PM »

I’m filling in the form to collect my father’s $64.50 missing money.  So much documentation is required, most of which my brother has, I’m not sure it’s worth it.  This is so old it is from our house in Cheviot Hills.  When I was cleaning out my father’s papers I trashed all records proving he lived there.  Darn, if only I had known.  I should have saved the deed to the house.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2004, 12:52:46 PM »

Disinfect?  Not much into it.  But I understand it's quite the thing in Japan, where they have entire stores dedicated to selling disinfected everything.

I guess I fall on the side of "exposure builds immunity."  Taking reasonable precautions in the kitchen, such as cleaning the cutting boards properly, makes sense, but that's just part of working in a kitchen.  

We may have to see about getting a few air purifiers for the house, however.  Der Brucer's daughter is highly phobic about germs and allergens, which she projects onto the grandlads.  She is particularly worried about "pet hair," and doesn't want the lads around the dogs.  (Like there's been a problem with the lads these last couple of days, with der Grampa's sweater covered with dander!)  So the investment will probably be a good idea, simply as a psychological "preventative".
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2004, 12:58:28 PM »

Of course, how stupid of me!!  Someone once said, "I'm not Fanny Farmer, y'know," but for the life of me, I can't remember who.   ???
Marion Cunningham, perhaps?

;D

(Now, let's see who gets the joke.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2004, 01:00:36 PM »

Hey, I have another techno-geek question, this one about the Windows XP taskbar!!  (Is this exciting stuff, or what?)

On our old computer, we had a little tray icon I could press to automatically get me back to the desktop without minimizing all the open windows.  Is there some way to do that here?  I can't even find a shortcut to the Desktop and have no clue about how to get it into the taskbar.

???
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Tomovoz

« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2004, 01:19:24 PM »

My XP has an icon just to the right of the start button that goes to "desk top". Does that help?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2004, 01:20:29 PM »

And yes I am attempting to update my photo with something that works! The puppies look a bit squashed.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

William E. Lurie

« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2004, 01:22:51 PM »

Disney may not be Disney much longer if a hostile takeover happens.  

Disney hasn't been Disney since Walt died?

Would Walt have made a cartoon full of fart jokes (THE LION KING) or where one cat invites another to her bedroom (OLIVER & COMPANY)?

Would Walt have hired Justin Timberlake, Brittany Spears and Christina Agulara for "The Mickey Mouse Club" and then allowed them to refuse to wear the ears and change the name to MMC to avoid all mention of the Mouse?

Would Walt have turned his "amusement parks where parents and children could have fun together" into gigantic overpriced vacation resorts?

Would Walt have bought a television network that showed decidedly un-Disney-like programing?

Would Walt have created Touchstone so he could release films that he was ashamed to have his name on (actually he wouldn't have needed to... he wouldn't have produced these films in the first place)?

The magic of the Disney name started to die the day Walt did.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2004, 01:23:04 PM »

Thank you very, very much! Can't wait to see that movie again and add it to my Ken Clark collection of motion picture entertainments...right up there with his films Attack of the Giant Leeches and Hercules Against the Mongels!

Micheal -- You must have one of the world's most eclectic film collections!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2004, 01:29:07 PM »

Micheal -- You must have one of the world's most eclectic film collections!

Ha TCB, you are much kinder then most of my friends! LOL!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2004, 01:36:11 PM »

Thanks, Tomovoz--I evidently needed to add "Quick Launch" to the taskbar, and then magically I had a "Show Desktop" option upon right clicking.  Works for me.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Tomovoz

« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2004, 01:42:31 PM »

I am having so many problems trying to change my profile today. I shall leave you all with a blurry photo. Maybe it can be posted on the site instead.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 01:43:01 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2004, 01:43:45 PM »

Marion Cunningham, perhaps?

;D

(Now, let's see who gets the joke.)

Okay, Woody, I confess.  I don't get the joke.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2004, 01:46:39 PM »

Disney hasn't been Disney since Walt died?

Would Walt have made a cartoon full of fart jokes (THE LION KING) or where one cat invites another to her bedroom (OLIVER & COMPANY)?

Would Walt have hired Justin Timberlake, Brittany Spears and Christina Agulara for "The Mickey Mouse Club" and then allowed them to refuse to wear the ears and change the name to MMC to avoid all mention of the Mouse?

Would Walt have turned his "amusement parks where parents and children could have fun together" into gigantic overpriced vacation resorts?

Would Walt have bought a television network that showed decidedly un-Disney-like programing?

Would Walt have created Touchstone so he could release films that he was ashamed to have his name on (actually he wouldn't have needed to... he wouldn't have produced these films in the first place)?

The magic of the Disney name started to die the day Walt did.
So, you would have preferred the company be disbanded as of December 16th, 1966?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2004, 01:48:32 PM »

Okay, Woody, I confess.  I don't get the joke.
Here's a hint: I'm not referring to the Happy Days character.  There is a real Marion Cunningham.

Tomovoz

« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2004, 01:49:05 PM »

One of my favourite photos from New Zealand.
James Thurber 1957

William E. Lurie

« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2004, 01:52:41 PM »

No, Woody.  I would have liked to have it continued under the leadership of someone who shared Walt's values and his vision was not in it just for the money.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Robin

« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2004, 02:04:55 PM »

1. What is your favorite pre-1960 Disney animated film?

2. What is your favorite post-1960 Disney animated film?

3. What is your favorite song from a Disney ankhich do you think is the best animated film of all-time?

Even though you asked BK, I'm gonna answer the question.  Mostly because I adore animation so gosh durn much.  

1.  Pinocchio.  I believe I'm the first to make this choice, and I'm shocked, shocked I tell you that no one beat me to it.  

2. Tarzan.  I liked the fact that the songs weren't sung by the on-screen characters, which would've been just too much given the rather dangerous milleu Tarzan inhabits.  And it's also my favorite version of Tarzan.

3.  "Belle" from Beauty and the Beast.  Exposition at its' most delightful.  

4.  I'm going to cheat here, and give you my three favorites, in no particular order.

4a.  Spirited Away
4b.  The Adventures of Prince Achmed
4c.  Allegro non troppo, which is freshly out on deeveedee.  Run out and buy/rent it.  
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 03:04:52 PM by Robin Anderson »
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jane

« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2004, 02:11:54 PM »

Tomovoz I’m glad you posted the photo, how sweet.  How about the birds in your yard for your profile photo?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2004, 02:24:57 PM »

Scooter Girl may not have the kind of voice they're looking for, but she was vocally more proficient than most of the women we heard last night with a voice significently brighter and more interesting than many we heard. I will be SHOCKED if she doesn't return for the wild card round.

DR JRand, I have not watched YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE and the other films yet. I have been somewhat under the weather for the last two days and have logged on, read the forum, and logged off. Have spent much  of the last two days lying down and dozing off and on. I want to give the movie I've waited so long to see the best opportunity to be enjoyed, and right now, I can't focus on anything for more than an hour or so. So, please don't think I'm not appreciative. I just haven't been up to it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2004, 02:30:29 PM »

Thanks Jane. I am considering the birds as the profile. I just need to find a photo that is clear enough to be "reduced" to size etc.
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2004, 02:32:36 PM »

Matt H feel better soon and

GOOD VIBES TO YOU!

I decided you might prefer if my good wishes didn't move.  :)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2004, 02:33:02 PM »

I want peanuts-in-the-shell!  :P I know this isn't the most scintillating topic for posting, but I go on food crazes - I'll fall in love with something and eat it until I get sick of it and move on to a new fave. Recently it's been peanuts-in-the-shell. I know exactly when this new obsession began. A while back I went to the Sunday Farmers Market with bk - who is on a one-man crusade to fatten me up. There was a peanut woman there and he insisted we buy a bag and that I take half of it home. Which is what happened. The peanuts were not great, but I got hooked. (It's fun to sit reading the paper while shelling nuts. I like food you have to work for. And I LOVE salty foods, unhealthy as that is, so I dip the peanuts in salt. Yum.) Since that fateful day at the market I've been refilling my peanut supply regularly. It's actually not that easy to find really fresh peanuts-in-the shell. So it's been a hit and miss enterprise. Anyway, I've run out and I'd have to interrupt my work to go to Trader Joe's for another pack. Probably in the time it took to write this I could've gone out and done it! Oh well. Maybe writing about it will get it out of my system.
Maybe not. I have some errands I could run near Trader Joe's...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 02:39:07 PM by Panni »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2004, 02:33:41 PM »

Jennifer, I am quasi-obssessed with germs...I think it comes from my father who was always opening public bathrooms with his elbows and telling us kids not to touch anything while there.  

DR Charles,

I doubt that our dads attended the same hygiene class (my father was born in Russia and grew up in Harlem), but two of the earliest life skills that he taught us: (1) how to flush with your foot; and (2) how to build a bird's nest.

Panni

« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2004, 02:35:50 PM »

Feel better, Matt H! Perhaps some peanuts-in-the-shell with a cup of tea would be just the thing.

Panni

« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2004, 02:37:16 PM »

(1) how to flush with your foot;

I can't let this go. Please explain.

Panni

« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2004, 02:41:39 PM »

Dan-in-TO - I take back my wanting an explanation of how to flush with your foot. I misread it as "How to flush your foot"... An interesting image, but puzzling.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 02:42:39 PM by Panni »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2004, 02:46:30 PM »

No, Woody.  I would have liked to have it continued under the leadership of someone who shared Walt's values and his vision was not in it just for the money.
Wherin lies the quandry.  Walt Disney was a genius, and his genius lay in his vision.  No one else had it but he.  There was no substitute, either in the wings or elsewhere.

For years, the Disney Studios tried to cling to his vision, asking themselves at every turn "What would Walt do?"  The result was years of stagnation.

Meanwhile, the world changed.  Repeatedly.  And it took a revolution at the helm to bring the company up to date.  Did that revolution try to replicate Walt?  No.  Personally, I think that was a step in the right direction.

As for a couple of your accusations, while Walt would probably not have included "fart jokes," he was not above including "tush jokes," even in Fantasia.  For it's time, those were just about as crass.  And the film where a female cat invites a male cat into her quarters is The Aristocats, made during the "What would Walt Do" era, not Oliver and Co., which came much later.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2004, 02:47:14 PM »

DR Panni,

Flushing with your foot is puzzling too - especially when you're a short kid. (And you thought peanuts in the shell was less than scintillating?)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2004, 02:48:47 PM »

3c.  Allegro non troppo, which is freshly out on deeveedee.  Run out and buy/rent it.  
Ah, yes!  I remember seeing this in the theaters when it was first released.  It kind of peters out at the end, but the segments are excellent.  Kudos for listing it!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2004, 02:52:45 PM »

DR Panni,

I must clarify this, in case you're struggling with another puzzling image: Feet for toilets; elbows for urinals.

I'm flushed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up