Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PARAGRAPH ABOVE  (Read 26311 times)

Tomovoz

Re:THE PARAGRAPH ABOVE
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2004, 02:56:16 PM »

It's one of those "playing around with photograph mornings". This is of one of Colin's paintings of our garden birds (Crimson Rosellas). They of course were quite happy to pose without a fee.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 02:57:36 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2004, 02:58:14 PM »

Dan, I still flush with my foot or use a paper towell to touch the lever.  I'm sure people would be delighted to know that the guy who was in the stall before them flushed with his foot.  God knows what that shoe in a public bathroom has been standing in...But, Hey, I'm looking out for numero uno.  Of course, most urinals these days seem to be auto-flush.  I have inherited all my father's public restroom precautions.

Jose, I understand why you can be creeped out by Scooter Girl...She is very, very manic and there is that glint of madness in the eyes, which leads my psychologist lovely wife to suspect she's bi-polar or manic-depressive.  It certainly plays into her startling, too-personal confession that first night when she chose to divulge that she had been anorexic and was over-achieving (a lot of gymnastic girls are anorexic).  She seems very, very driven.  So maybe the judges know something we don't...maybe they've seen her private demons and are afraid she'd just implode and have a breakdown on national television with all the pressure...though that might be eminently entertaining to watch too.  But driven though she may be, she also seem to have a very professional pragmatism about her and took everything the judges said about her with equanimity and calm.  I'm still betting and certainly hoping she'll be back.  Hell, they didn't think Clay was pop idol material either.

Bi-polars are often very exciting and attractive people.  When I worked with Jeremy Brett he was just the nicest, most enthusiastic. exhuberant fellow I'd ever met...It was only years later, I found out he suffered from manic-depressiveness.  I don't believe I ever saw him in one of his down periods.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2004, 03:03:48 PM »

Thanks, all, for the good wishes. I'm off for another lie-down. I think this kind of illness, where you're not quite sick enough to stay in bed all day but not well enough to feel 100% or want to do anything, is in some ways the worst. You never know if it's something slight or just the tip of the iceburg. I guess I'll know for sure by tomorrow.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2004, 03:06:33 PM »

Scooter Girl may not have the kind of voice they're looking for, but she was vocally more proficient than most of the women we heard last night with a voice significently brighter and more interesting than many we heard. I will be SHOCKED if she doesn't return for the wild card round.

I'm glad you all think she will make the wild card round, since as I said, she was my favorite.  I was so surprised that they cut her, since she seemed to do everything they asked (and the judges kept going on about how great her voice was).

I think it will depend on how the public votes. It's clear that the judges want people like Fantasia and 16 yr old Diana to go through to the next round.  If the public doesn't vote them in, the judges will.

MBarnum

« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2004, 03:16:28 PM »

It's one of those "playing around with photograph mornings". This is of one of Colin's paintings of our garden birds (Crimson Rosellas). They of course were quite happy to pose without a fee.

Oh, my gosh, that is a beautiful painting Tom (and Colin)!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2004, 03:18:32 PM »

Hello, it's Larry Moore here.  I had such a good time being BK's interview subject that I've become addicted to this site, and I thought I'd join the group and offer an occasional opinion.  It's exciting, too, because I forgot to mention in my interview that I was present at the birth of Guy Haines' recording debut with "Her Laughter In My Life," and while I'm not taking full credit, I do recall urging Mr Haines to consider doing a solo album of songs.  He's a talented Guy, that Haines.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #126 on: February 11, 2004, 03:33:05 PM »

Unpleasant Business Update:

Well, folks, I haven't read any of the posts today, but I wanted to let all of y'all know what's going on, since you have been so supportive.

My Joe is in jail.  The judge paid lip service to the state of his health but was just as unmoved by that as he was by witnesses who blatantly perjured themselves.  His sentence is sixty days.  He was whisked from the courtroom to be processed in Riverhead, out on the end of Long Island, whence he will probably transferred to a closer facility, but until he is able to phone I won't know where he is.

I am so full of anger and fear and all those negative emotions (yes, including the H word) by the injustice of the situation that I could not post here for the last few hours, for fear of just ranting.  (Am I ranting now?  I apologize.)

The house feels weirdly empty.  The last time Joe was away was last month when he spent a week taking care of his mother.  Before that, I can't remember.

He's being very brave, and I will have to be too.  Last night he told me to thank all you wonderful hainesy/kimlets for your good vibes.  It has been a great comfort.

I'll keep you posted, but I also hope to jump into the spirit of the fun here without spreading Doom and Gloom all about.

Thank you all.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

CharlieToft

« Reply #127 on: February 11, 2004, 03:37:08 PM »

Best pre-1960s Disney: THE THREE CABALLEROS.

Honorable mention: the "Blame it on the Samba" number with Ethel Smith in MAKE MINE MUSIC (or MELODY TIME, can't recall which at present)...and the Silly Symphony WOODLAND CAFE.

Post 1960s Disney...MARY POPPINS.
If I tell you what I want and then you do it, it doesn't count because I had to tell you.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #128 on: February 11, 2004, 03:37:59 PM »

Wow, what a difference between the last two posts!

First off, welcome to Larry--your interview was fantastic.

Second, sympathies to WFO & Joe.  That's horrible, but take faith that what goes around comes around.  Eventually.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Robin

« Reply #129 on: February 11, 2004, 03:45:50 PM »

My Joe is in jail.  The judge paid lip service to the state of his health but was just as unmoved by that as he was by witnesses who blatantly perjured themselves.  His sentence is sixty days.

May the sixty days go by quickly for the both of you...
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #130 on: February 11, 2004, 03:46:08 PM »

Welcome, Larry, I keep urging Mr. Kimmel, Mr. Haines' producer, to send a copy of the album to his pal, Gary Owens, over at 570 KTLA as it fits their programming needs...and while he's at it to Ksurf 1260...perhaps, John Regan...and get that album some radio play time and Mr. Haines the bigger audience he deserves.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #131 on: February 11, 2004, 03:47:20 PM »

Welcome to DR elmore.

I am shocked DR WFO....and disheartened as well...but sending good thoughts to you both.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #132 on: February 11, 2004, 03:48:19 PM »

Yes DRMATTH you must be in tip top shape to view Youngblood Hawke and the other goodies.

Thanks TOMOVOZ....for posting the painting and posting the package!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: February 11, 2004, 03:50:30 PM »

Welcome to Larry!  

WFO: The justice system in this country should be put on trial - it is shameful.  Your judge should also be held culpable for his actions, but unfortunately, no one judges the judge.  I share your anger.  

In a rather fast turnaround, I got a new galley today and have given it a quick once-over.  The good news is it's much closer and better - the bad news is it isn't what I asked for it to be, i.e. perfect.  That will take one final pass, hopefully by Friday.  There were just some minor spacing things and two things that I didn't catch last time because there was so much stuff last time and my eye didn't see these two things.  Other than that, the actual fixes should take them about a half-hour I should think and then, if they do their job right, they should spend two hours doing a page by page (especially around the fixes) to make sure nothing else got screwy.  Makes you long for the days of old-fashioned type-setting, don't it?  

MBarnum

« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2004, 03:50:30 PM »

Welcom aboard the board new DR Elmore (alias Larry). You will have fun here!!

WFO, I am so sorry. I will be keeping good thoughts for Joe...that is shocking and terrible!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2004, 03:50:49 PM »

A generous supply of good vibes to Joe and WFO.
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

And a glad welcome to Larry!  I look forward to your opinions and input.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2004, 03:51:44 PM »

Weird Romance is a favorite of mine, even though I've never seen it.  Great songs, great scripts (given that it is two one-act plays).  I really wish der Brucer hadn't loaned our CD to the director of a theater we were associated with, because said director never returned it.  She tended to book seasons at the theater according to reputation, not according to the quality of the work, sound unheard.  Which explains why she booked Bed and Sofa, which has won awards from people who don't know better.  Making this more salt in the wound is that the CD of Weird Romance is now out of print.

David Spencer is a great old friend of mine, and I'll be seeing him in NYC after my shows conclude. I'm going to forward him your so complimentary comments, and i wouldn't be surprised if he came up with a CD for you.
PennyO

Robin

« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2004, 04:02:37 PM »

By the way, BK...I'm glad you enjoyed The Triplets of Belleville.  As much as I liked Finding Nemo, I like this movie quite a bit more; it manages to be both more ambitious and simpler at the same time.  

And it has the most insideously catchy music...the score CD has been getting a lot of play lately!  The title tune has been nominated for an Oscar.  

I'm really pulling for this movie to get Oscared.  (Did I just coin a new word?)  Computer animation is just fine, but I'm a luddite as far as animation goes, I guess.  While The Triplets of Belleville has a touch of it, it doesn't go overboard.  I'm hopeful that it will, since Spirited Away darkhorsed to a well-deserved win last year.  (Did I just coin another word?  Jee...that would be two newly minted words in one post!)

(By the way, has anyone else sighted Buzz Lightyear's cameo appearance in Nemo?)

Sorry for all the parentheses in this post.  But once you're in the habit, it's hard to bracket.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Emily

« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2004, 04:16:10 PM »

WFO...

I hereby open the bag of unlimited vibes:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Take heart in knowing that you, at least, were in the right and aren't evil like the MacBeths.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 04:46:09 PM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2004, 04:18:30 PM »

Dear WFO - Thank you for the update.  I'm so sorry you didn't have better and brighter news to share with us.  Your Joe is indeed a brave soul, and I'm sure your support will make the next 60 days go by in a relative flash.  And I have to say, this really does prove that HHW is a most wonderful place on the internet - not many people would feel safe and secure and enough to share such news in a public forum.  Thank you.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2004, 04:19:43 PM »

Ummm.. DR Emily....

~~~~~~~~~~~~

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2004, 04:20:53 PM »

Why are we suddenly in widescreen (and I mean WWWWWIWIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEESSSSSSSCCCCCRREE EEEENNNNNNNNN?

Is it Goddess Emily's vibes?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2004, 04:22:51 PM »

Welcome DR elmore3003 (aka Larry Moore)!

Welcome back DR Charlie Toft!

Oh, BK - Did Larry Blank by chance mention the splendid time we had two summers ago at the Kennedy Center during the Sondheim Celebration? ;)  -He needs to write a book - the stories of his work and dealings with some of the greats and near greats... well, some of them are unpublishable. :X
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: February 11, 2004, 04:25:03 PM »

Ummm.. DR Emily seems to have logged off for now... How many more posts do we need to get to Page 6? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #144 on: February 11, 2004, 04:27:26 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me at all to find myself wrong about the cost of champagne.  Der Brucer is the one who really knows that stuff, not I, and he's doing a repeat grandladsit today and so is not available.  (My researching websites will clearly be for my own education, as well!)

But George's question has brought to mind something that hasn't been discussed here before.

Dear BK and esteemed DRs: What are your favorite drinking songs?

"The Night They Invented Champagne," from Gigi, has been ringing through my head for over an hour.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned these, (I'm posting as I come across them) but I like "Belly Up to the Bar, Boys" from The Unsinkable Molly Brown and "Faro-La, Faro-Li (Song of the New Wine)" as recorded by Judy Kaye, on the CD "Jeepers Creepers:  Great Songs from Horror Films" produced by our very own BK!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #145 on: February 11, 2004, 04:28:37 PM »

William F Orr, what can I say but I’m sorry.  My heart & thoughts are with you both during this time.  

Laura II

« Reply #146 on: February 11, 2004, 04:30:32 PM »

WFO, I am very sorry to hear that news. You and Joe are in my thoughts.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
[/color]

Welcome, Larry!

Favorite pre-1960 Disney film: Sleeping Beauty
Favorite post-1960 Disney film: Beauty and the Beast, followed closely by The Little Mermaid and Aladdin, which I haven't watched in years
Favorite Disney song(s)--I can't possibly choose one!: "Something There," "Part of Your World," "Why Should I Worry?," "You'll Be in My Heart"

Re Hygiene:

I'm a tinge OCD. I remember one time in 7th or 8th grade, my friend's mom was supposed to pick me up so we could go to the mall at 7:00. The lady was 20 minutes late. In that 20 minutes, I went from my front door to the kitchen sink to wash my hands about 15-20 times or more. I am one of the people who flushes with my feet, and I never sit in a public restroom--never. I also open bathroom doors with paper towels or my sleeve, and I turn off the water with a towel after washing my hands. I remember I once complained here about the skin on my hands--it was cracking and bleeding. Well, that's because I use way too much Purell and because I wash my hands too often and do not dry them thoroughly. Last week, when I was visiting my great-aunt, I was holding her four-month-old granddaughter, and my family laughed because I would wipe her mouth immediately if she drooled. I even told her "Cleanliness is next to Godliness." What can I say? I'm my mother's daughter!

Someone had mentioned disinfecting the house (I believe it was Jane). My mother vacuums and scours or dusts every room of the house 5 or 6 days a week (not on Sundays, and occasionally not on Saturdays). We've never been allowed to have pets, and we are not allowed to wear shoes in the house. Some people might find this odd, but I'm accustomed to it, and I like it this way. The only thing about it that I ever thought was weird was that when I was growing up, my brother and I were never allowed to go up to our rooms until bedtime because my mother liked to keep it neat until the last possible moment. You know, I think I got used to that too.

Special request: Above, I mentioned my great-aunt. I will be visiting her again this weekend (in PA) for her granddaughter's Baptism. My great-aunt has cancer, and she's not doing well. This might be the last time I will see her. If you wouldn't mind keeping her in your thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #147 on: February 11, 2004, 04:31:08 PM »

Thanks to one and all and all and one for your kind sentiments.

But, Dear Reader Emily, I think you got so enthusiastic, vibe-wise, that you sent us into Cinerama (American spelled inside out).  Maybe you can edit your post and chop up the long vibes, or everyone is going to get a crick in their mouse from scrolling left and right.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2004, 04:38:50 PM »

"Why are we suddenly in widescreen"

I'm so glad you said something.  I thought I was the only one.  Are you also missing the right side of the column?  I couldn't click on quote either.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2004, 04:40:04 PM »

I undid the vibes of Emily, but know that she sent them!

WFO: You've never actually recounted the dastardly story to us.  Are you precluded from doing so?  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up