Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PARAGRAPH ABOVE  (Read 26316 times)

Emily

Re:THE PARAGRAPH ABOVE
« Reply #150 on: February 11, 2004, 04:45:24 PM »

oops... I over vibed...

there is a first for everything! ;)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #151 on: February 11, 2004, 04:47:30 PM »

Someone had mentioned disinfecting the house (I believe it was Jane).

Yes, but only when there is a great need for it.  My pets sleep all over me and my cat got in the crib with my babies.  

The quote is back!

Have a good visit with your great-aunt.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #152 on: February 11, 2004, 04:50:05 PM »

I want peanuts-in-the-shell!  :P I know this isn't the most scintillating topic for posting, but I go on food crazes - I'll fall in love with something and eat it until I get sick of it and move on to a new fave. Recently it's been peanuts-in-the-shell. I know exactly when this new obsession began. A while back I went to the Sunday Farmers Market with bk - who is on a one-man crusade to fatten me up. There was a peanut woman there and he insisted we buy a bag and that I take half of it home. Which is what happened. The peanuts were not great, but I got hooked. (It's fun to sit reading the paper while shelling nuts. I like food you have to work for. And I LOVE salty foods, unhealthy as that is, so I dip the peanuts in salt. Yum.) Since that fateful day at the market I've been refilling my peanut supply regularly. It's actually not that easy to find really fresh peanuts-in-the shell. So it's been a hit and miss enterprise. Anyway, I've run out and I'd have to interrupt my work to go to Trader Joe's for another pack. Probably in the time it took to write this I could've gone out and done it! Oh well. Maybe writing about it will get it out of my system.
Maybe not. I have some errands I could run near Trader Joe's...

My niece loves salted peanuts-in-the-shell.  She usually only gets them when she goes to a baseball game (only once or twice a year) but she sticks the whole peanut-in-the-shell into her mouth and sucks off the salt, then she opens it and eats the peanut(s) and throws the shells on the floor (it's allowed at the baseball field).  Personally, I think that's kinda gross :P.  Well, just the sucking the salt off the shell part.  The peanuts themselves are good.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 04:50:58 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #153 on: February 11, 2004, 04:53:08 PM »

All right, I'll jump in!

FAVE pre-1960 Disney:  ALICE IN WONDERLAND
Post-1960:  101 DALMATIANS;  I thought that MARY POPPINS was a wonderful idea because I never would have thought of it as an animated film.  But it is, Blanche!

FAVE Disney song:  "The Second Star to the Right," which I believe was called "Beyond the Land of My Dreams" when Sammy Fain wrote it for ALICE.  The PETER PAN lyric is much better, I believe.  

DRINKING SONG:  One for my Baby, Absinthe Frappe, See What the Boys in the Backroom Will Have, and that great song BK recorded on LIB4 "Have A Memory on Me"
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #154 on: February 11, 2004, 04:55:00 PM »

Tomovoz, before I read your post I was thinking how beautiful the birds were.  My compliments to Colin.

Guess I should come clean, I too am a foot flusher.

Welcome Larry Moor we are glad you joined us.  I enjoyed your interview.

Pre 1960 Disney film:  Lady & the Tramp or 101 Dalmatians.  I’m not sure.  101 is the first movie I took our older son too making is special to me.  The witch in Snow White gave me nightmares and Bambi was so sad.  Wait, I forgot Cinderella.  As a child that was my favorite.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #155 on: February 11, 2004, 05:00:10 PM »

In other news....

The producers of Gypsy with Bernadette Peters pulled the closing notice...

Surprise, suprise?

And George Wolfe has resigned as head of the Public Theatre.  -Wonder if this will affect the transfer of Caroline, or Change at all?

As for Scooter Girl (again) - If she does come back, it will be interesting to see how the public reacts to her.  It will be very interesting.   -And I just have to wonder if the producers of AI are compensating the (poor) "She Bangs, She Bangs" guy for their continual referencing of him.  -Or did he sign away all of his "rights" in the initial relase form?  -Probably...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #156 on: February 11, 2004, 05:03:12 PM »

Elmore3003 I’m referring to the animated 101 Dalmatians. I can’t seem to find the release date so maybe I mean post 1960.  Which version are you referring to?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #157 on: February 11, 2004, 05:04:59 PM »

Sheesh!?!?!  Just how many times does NBC - and CNBC - plan to show each week's episode of "The Apprentice".

-Oh, I didn't realize "The Restaurant" is being brought back for a second season... Which should be interesting since Mr. DiSpirito is currently being sued by a group of his investors for mismanagement and mishandling of funds.  Of course, maybe its all part of the show - ?!?!?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jed

« Reply #158 on: February 11, 2004, 05:06:41 PM »

WFO - Another example of horrible things happening to wonderful people.  Best of thoughts to you and Joe.

Drinking songs - I second PennyO's vote for "The Drinking Song" (yes, that's the title) from The Student Prince.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #159 on: February 11, 2004, 05:10:26 PM »

I should think that storing the champagne in a cool place should be fine.  Preferably on it's side, the same as any wine, so that the cork stays wet.  A day or two before the celebration, pop it in the refrigerator to chill.  Do not allow the bubbly to freeze, as that will distroy the bubbles.

If it is your parent's 40th anniversary, why are you buying champagne that is "cheap"?  This is one of the occasions that deserves quality, and that means spending money.  (Cheap champagne is for celebrations where you're pouring for people who you don't really know and probably won't know the difference, like for a New Years Eve party at a bar.)  I would suggest checking out a reputable wine merchant, explaining the situation, and setting a limit on how much you want to spend.  He (or she) should be able to help you find the best buy.

I think DR George meant that he bought his expensive wine at a bargain price, DR SWW, not that he bought cheap champagne.  I don't know from what about Champagne....but a 1995 Dom Perignon probably wasn't cheap!

I bought Cuvée Dom Perignon 1995 (normally $130-$180 a bottle!) at Costco for only $99.  No, it ain't cheap, even from Costco.

And thanks to everyone who offered information about storing champagne.  It's quite informative information.  I had the bottle standing up, but per S. Woody's instructions, I've put it on its side.  It's also in my extra bedroom where it's nice and cool because I don't turn on the heat.

Also, welcome Larry Moore, aka elmore3000!

and:

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~GOOD~[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~VIBES~~[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~TO~~~[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~WFO~~~~[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~AND~~~~~[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~HIS~~~~~~[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~JOE!~~~~~~~[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: February 11, 2004, 05:20:36 PM »

Jane,  

According to the Maltin book on Disney films, the animated 101 DALMATIANS is from 1961 and that's the one I was referring to; I have no urge to see Glen Close replace the frightening animated Cruella with a drag queen.  Of the later films, I liked ALADDIN quite a lot and found the songs to BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and LITTLE MERMAID much better than the films.  I thought they gave too much plot away in BEAUTY AND THE BEAST:  it's about how someone you come to love becomes beautiful to you, not about a vain prince waiting for the right girl.  As for LITTLE MERMAID, I hated the happy ending.  Hans Andersen was right: it's about a fish out of water.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #161 on: February 11, 2004, 05:32:27 PM »

Evening all!

Good vibes to DR William F. Orr and Joe!  Will you be allowed to visit?  I hope so!

Bruce–I have something for you that was brought up at work and I swear I didn’t start it!

Spell: Race car

Backwards.  

Cool, huh?  A friend came over to my desk today and said he knew I would appreciate it.   

So how did your first diet day go, Jose?  Not as bad as you thought it would be, I bet.  I expected to be starving but I was fine!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #162 on: February 11, 2004, 05:32:50 PM »

My heart goes out to you and Joe, WFO.  I hope the 60 days passes as quickly as possible.

Welcome, Larry Moore!

Colin's painting is lovely, Tomovoz.

I'm going out for a quick walk now to try and sort out some writing stuff.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #163 on: February 11, 2004, 05:37:40 PM »

DR Danise.... Umm... Did I say today?  I meant tomorrow.. Well, that tomorrow...  BUT I did make it to the grocery store and I'm very well-stocked with "approved" foods now.  So...  In my "defense", however, what I did eat today was in very appropriate portions, and my sugar intake was nowhere near what it was during Memphis this past weekend.  I guess I'm just trying not go cold turkey.  HA!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #164 on: February 11, 2004, 05:42:19 PM »

I'm gone for a few hours and there are so many things to respond to...

Dear Reader William F. Orr:  My heart goes out to you and Joe.

Dear Reader Tomovoz:  Colin's painting is simply lovely.

Dear Reader elmore3003:  Welcome!

Dear Reader Jose:  George Wolfe was just given a big feature profile in the past Sunday's L.A. Times.  (Topdog/Underdog is opening in town this week.)

Dear Reader Jane:  101 Dalmations was the very first motion picture I saw in a theatre, as it was for your eldest son!

Dear Reader S. Woody White:  Wasn't Marion Cunningham the food writer/recipe creator for the NY Times some years ago?  That would be the parlay from Fannie Farmer, no?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 05:44:03 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #165 on: February 11, 2004, 05:45:12 PM »

OH... DR SWW - I know who Marion Cunningham is too!

OOohhh... First round of eliminations on AI right now - well, on the East Coast... Ooohhh...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: February 11, 2004, 05:49:20 PM »

I do believe, being the cynic that I am, that the closing notice for Gypsy was specifically put up to bolster business.  It did in a minor way, and then they pulled the notice.  It's like the old "going out of business" sale scams.  

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #167 on: February 11, 2004, 05:50:08 PM »

A cute story about my seeing 101 Dalmations for the first time.  The day I saw it was also the day that I first lost one of my baby teeth.  Not knowing what the going tooth fairy rate was at the time (I am the eldest of the children in my family, you know), my mother asked one of our family friends/neighbors.  This family friend/neighbor must have liked me, as she told my mom it was a dollar, when, in fact, the true going rate at the time was a quarter.  So what did my clever mother do?  She somehow came up with 101 pennies and that's what I found under my pillow the next morning.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #168 on: February 11, 2004, 06:02:17 PM »

AI... Interesting... And it's amazing how they stretch the whole decision into 30 minutes... More after the West Coast airtimes.
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #169 on: February 11, 2004, 06:03:55 PM »

Now Jose.  If you went to the grocery store and bought the right things, you are officially as of this very moment, on your diet. No ifs, ands or butts.  And I mean butts as in a few weeks there won't be one!   :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #170 on: February 11, 2004, 06:08:02 PM »

Now Jose.  If you went to the grocery store and bought the right things, you are officially as of this very moment, on your diet. No ifs, ands or butts.  And I mean butts as in a few weeks there won't be one!   :D

LOL!

Now maybe we should take "before" and "after" shots of said posteriors... Or maybe not...
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #171 on: February 11, 2004, 06:13:42 PM »

Hummm--Where's that tri-pod when you need it?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: February 11, 2004, 06:15:28 PM »

Where's the tri-tip when you need it?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: February 11, 2004, 06:15:48 PM »

Where's the tri-state when you need it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: February 11, 2004, 06:16:10 PM »

Where's the tri-to remember when you need it?

Danise

« Reply #175 on: February 11, 2004, 06:24:01 PM »

Where's that tri cycle when you need it?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #176 on: February 11, 2004, 06:25:11 PM »

Where's the tri-ply stainless steel 4 quart sauce pan when you want to make fudge?

-Yes, I'm watching Good Eats.
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #177 on: February 11, 2004, 06:28:56 PM »

Bad, Jose.  Baaaad!  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #178 on: February 11, 2004, 06:30:00 PM »

My thoughts to Joe & Bill. Know that you can't lock someway away from love.
Welcome aboard Larry.
Thanks for the comments re Colin's painting. They shall be passed on. I of course am the one who feeds the birds - it's only twopence a bag. (If only).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 06:30:36 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #179 on: February 11, 2004, 06:32:44 PM »

Hate to say it but it's 9:30 PM.  A good night to all!

Jose, back away from the sauce pan--NO fudge.  :-)

Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up