Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: IN LIVING COLOR  (Read 9298 times)

Ginny

Re: IN LIVING COLOR
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2011, 10:50:32 AM »

DR Jose - have a great time in Atlanta!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2011, 11:01:31 AM »

My visit with my friend Lee was nice but too short.

Oct 2, 1982 was the day we met. He says I was his first friend in New York. He was right out of high school in Indiana, as I recall, and he had wandered into Theatrebooks, where I was working at the time. My part of the store was the musical theatre space with books, libretti, scores and records, and everyone came there to hang out before, between, and after shows. On a good Saturday, you'd run into my friend Lee, Ethan Mordden, Ken Mandelbaum, Larry Blank, John Esche, Tommy Krasker who was assisting Maury Yeston with NINE, occasionally Bert Fink, Steve Ross, and assorted friends accompanying them. It was there that Larry Blank introduced me to Harvey Schmidt, for whom he'd conducted the disastrous COLETTE with Diana Rigg. It was at Theatrebooks that Steve Ross introduced me to Cyrano's leading lady Leigh Beery, who's now Mrs Jonathan Tunick, and there that Lewis Stadlen ran into the late great Julie Kurnitz and they spent an hour telling stories about being in MINNIE'S BOYS.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2011, 11:06:05 AM »

DR Elmore - one of my fondest memories of THEATREBOOKS, is taking turns with Richard warming up while standing in the TKTS line between Christmas 1982 and New Year's 1983.  You and your colleagues were so gracious to us.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2011, 11:30:05 AM »

My visit with my friend Lee was nice but too short.

Oct 2, 1982 was the day we met. He says I was his first friend in New York. He was right out of high school in Indiana, as I recall, and he had wandered into Theatrebooks, where I was working at the time. My part of the store was the musical theatre space with books, libretti, scores and records, and everyone came there to hang out before, between, and after shows. On a good Saturday, you'd run into my friend Lee, Ethan Mordden, Ken Mandelbaum, Larry Blank, John Esche, Tommy Krasker who was assisting Maury Yeston with NINE, occasionally Bert Fink, Steve Ross, and assorted friends accompanying them. It was there that Larry Blank introduced me to Harvey Schmidt, for whom he'd conducted the disastrous COLETTE with Diana Rigg. It was at Theatrebooks that Steve Ross introduced me to Cyrano's leading lady Leigh Beery, who's now Mrs Jonathan Tunick, and there that Lewis Stadlen ran into the late great Julie Kurnitz and they spent an hour telling stories about being in MINNIE'S BOYS.
Great memories.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2011, 11:33:05 AM »

Got the word a little while ago that Uncle Tom died this morning. Two of his daughters were with him, which was nice to learn.

I don't have a great deal to do with that side of the family, but it's made mel sad. Talked with my dad for awhile, or let him talk for awhile, actually, while I listened to a few memories. This is the first of his siblings to pass. It's good to know he's at peace with the news.

Thank you all for the vibes and prayers. They do help.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2011, 11:57:01 AM »

Condolences to DR John G and all who loved Uncle Tom...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2011, 12:33:09 PM »

Back from some errands and whatnot, the four-mile jog, etc.  I think I'll try to start liner notes now.  Weird day here - jogging was overcast and gray.  Then we had thunder.  Then the sun came out.  Then it started to rain.  Then the rain stopped after about two minutes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2011, 12:35:44 PM »

Forgot to put up the new release at midnight - was so tired I just plum forgit.  So, here it is - you know the deal - 19.98 plus 3.75 shipping (23.73) to kritzerland at adelphia dot net via paypal.

Kritzerland is proud to present a limited edition soundtrack release, first time on CD:

MEN IN WAR
Music Composed and Conducted by Elmer Bernstein

“Tell me the story of the foot soldier and I will tell you the story of all wars.”

Men In War is a terrific movie directed by Anthony Mann (El Cid, The Fall Of The Roman Empire, Winchester ’73, The Naked Spur), and starring Robert Ryan and Aldo Ray.  It takes place in one day, September 6, 1950 during the Korean war, as we follow a platoon of bone-weary foot soldiers who’ve been cut off from their division.  Without radio contact, and with nerves frayed, their leader, Lieutenant Benson tries to get them to a hill where he believes their division is.  The film is beautifully written (credited to Philip Yordan and based on the novel Day Without End by Van Van Praag), and beautifully shot in black-and-white by Ernest Haller (all filmed in Hollywood’s Bronson Canyon). Robert Ryan turns in his usual great performance as Benson, and Aldo Ray as “Montana” is also excellent.  But every performance in the film is wonderful – Robert Keith is a lesson in great film acting as the Colonel – he speaks exactly one word in the film and that’s in the last five minutes, but there’s an entire screenplay going on in his eyes.  The rest of the supporting cast makes the most of their screen time – Nehemiah Persoff, Phillip Pine, Vic Morrow, James Edwards, L.Q. Jones, and Scott Marlowe all get their moments to shine.

Tying all of its elements together is the fantastic score of Elmer Bernstein.  Bernstein did three films for Mann – Men In War, The Tin Star, and God’s Little Acre (all three of which have been released on Kritzerland – in fact, with this release Kritzerland has issued the entirety of Bernstein’s 1957 output with the exception of Sweet Smell Of Success – his four other films that year were Fear Strikes Out, Men In War, The Tin Star, and Drango – all currently available as limited edition CDs), and all three scores are great and all three are completely different.  Men In War begins with drums and jagged orchestral stabs, and then it is by turns pensive, intense, propulsive, brooding, and suspenseful as it captures the moods of the soldiers as they trudge on through dangerous terrain, with their tensions at the breaking point. 

Men In War was originally released on Imperial Records in mono.  There was a release in “stereo” but it was a weird fake “stereo” with some sort of spread and trying to shift things into different channels arbitrarily and not very well.  Obviously, we are issuing the recording in mono, as it was recorded.  The tapes, housed in the Capitol/EMI vaults, were in great condition and the mono sound is full-bodied and crisp, clean, and clear. 

This is Kritzerland’s seventh Elmer Bernstein release, and we would be happy to just keep releasing all of his never before on CD scores.  Elmer Bernstein was one-of-a-kind and his music is part of the landscape of cinema.

This release is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98, plus shipping.  Go to the item page and click on the link to find out about it.

CD will ship the second week of October – however, never fear, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2011, 01:06:05 PM »

Jane

« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2011, 01:13:41 PM »

Greetings from Toyland! The taxi ride down here was interesting: flashing police cars all over midtown, heavy traffic, and it see,s to me a general feeling of alarm and unease. I'm sure a lot of it is the 9/11 weekend, but I've noticed a lot of indications in the past week on the tv and subway announcements that something unpleasant is anticipated. I can only hope this is due to the anniversary and to the government's spy network.

I'm at Toyland, primed to use the scanner but nothing is working; I blame my colleague Curtis who's put passwords only he can use all over the equipment and then left the country for six months. Since there are essentially only two of us in the office currently, it seems a lot of bullshit and paranoia on his part. I am not amused. I'm downright angry.

You have no way of reaching him?  Odd he did this without leaving you the passwords.

Jane

« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2011, 01:22:20 PM »

DR John G condolences to you and your family.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2011, 01:22:56 PM »

Got the word a little while ago that Uncle Tom died this morning. Two of his daughters were with him, which was nice to learn.

I don't have a great deal to do with that side of the family, but it's made mel sad. Talked with my dad for awhile, or let him talk for awhile, actually, while I listened to a few memories. This is the first of his siblings to pass. It's good to know he's at peace with the news.

Dear John G, I am really sorry to hear this.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2011, 01:23:41 PM »

DR DtM vibes to your mother.

Jane

« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2011, 01:24:13 PM »

Feel better vibes for DR's Jrand & Cilla, stay well vibes for everyone else.

Ginny

« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2011, 01:30:19 PM »

Off to do some errands - bye for now!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2011, 01:31:07 PM »

My condolences, John, to you and to your family.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2011, 01:44:01 PM »

I thought I'd posted something but it's sure vanished!

The day's been interesting and frustrating: printer hell, mostly because Curtis is tied up somewhere in Europe with Kevin Spacey's show - they were in Athens the first week of August and I have no idea where they are now - and I suspect he was trying to deal with me while in performance. He says he'll check things out later, but it made for a frustrating day. On the plus side, I scanned a lot of Kern orchestra parts and visited with Lee. Now, I'm very tired and wanting a nap.

Jane

« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2011, 02:28:31 PM »

Last night Keith was rather baffled as how he accidentally turned off the DVR in the middle of watching a movie.  He hadn't done it.  Sherlock walked up and tapped the power button with his nose, why I have no idea. ;D

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2011, 03:01:45 PM »

This day is needlessly frustrating and I'm having visions of killing a co-worker. Because he's a control freak, everything in rthis office is under his thumb abnd since he's out of the country, nothing is workable.

If you decide to make your vision a reality, plan carefully.  You don't want to get caught.

::)

You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2011, 03:03:14 PM »

Sincere condolences.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2011, 03:05:19 PM »

I just finished watching TOMORROW IS FOREVER with Orson Welles and Claudette Colbert.

I'd never seen it before.

It's a bit dated, but still a very good movie.

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2011, 03:06:14 PM »

DR John G condolences to you & your family! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Laura

« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2011, 03:40:25 PM »

I'm sorry for your sad news, John. Prayers for your family.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2011, 03:41:38 PM »

Today I went to Family Camp. I was so looking forward to the hike they were planning at Tonto Natural Bridge, but I discovered that the hike was rated as "very difficult," and I didn't want to get myself into trouble.

Laura

« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2011, 03:48:53 PM »

So I stayed at the top and chased the butterflies.

MBarnum

« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2011, 04:15:04 PM »

John G., so very sorry about your uncle.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2011, 04:27:12 PM »

There's a 9/11 program currently on Channel 4 dealing with the survivors and families of the dead that is truly wrenching.

Ginny

« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2011, 04:30:46 PM »

Rob and Mary Linda both just made this photo, taken by moi, their Facebook profile pictures:

Laura

« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2011, 04:33:32 PM »

What a nice photo, Ginny.

Ginny

« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2011, 04:36:08 PM »

Thanks, DR Laura, it's one of my favorites from the reception.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up