Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE STUMBLE-THROUGH  (Read 21795 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re: THE STUMBLE-THROUGH
« Reply #240 on: May 04, 2011, 06:42:54 PM »

OH!  You are all still there - for some reason it just wasn't showing up on my screen and I thought I was all alone
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #241 on: May 04, 2011, 06:43:56 PM »

I realize that I am probably the last person to ever hear this before, but oh well!

HAPPY STAR WARS DAY!

"May the Fourth be with you"
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #242 on: May 04, 2011, 06:44:15 PM »

Nice hat DR CILLA LIZ.

The DVD shall be on its way anon DR TCB.  After a quick re-viewing, it seems that some footage from the 1943 German version was used.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #243 on: May 04, 2011, 06:44:32 PM »

That looks interesting DR GEORGE.

vixmom

« Reply #244 on: May 04, 2011, 06:45:19 PM »

Cilla - I am beyond jealous that you got to see Sir Elton-  I have always wanted to see one of his concerts  but even the nose bleed seats are beyond my means =  the scalpers grab all the tickets and you need to sell your last licorice all sort to get one  after they get their grubby little paws on them

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #245 on: May 04, 2011, 06:45:37 PM »

I am about ready to head for bed. I think it's more the fact that I was up at 5:45 am and not the vicodin knocking me out. There was a lot of lip pulling and cheek pawing to get to four teeth today, so I suspect my teeth, fillings, and gums will not ache tomorrow but everything else will.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #246 on: May 04, 2011, 06:45:56 PM »

Would anybody here have a MP3 file of Al Jolson's 1920 recording of "Swanee," which is in the public domain?

I need it for a project I'm working on.

It must be the scratchy 1920 recording.

Thanks.
You can dream…or you can do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #247 on: May 04, 2011, 06:48:03 PM »

Can't we get rid of BETTER WITH YOU?  or at least get the show better writers?

What is BETTER WITH YOU? I only watch reruns of BONES and LAW &  ORDER and the Housewives of You Name It.

I comes on between THE MIDDLE and MODERN FAMILY and is the CAROLINE IN THE CITY/SUDDENLY SUSAN of this season.

I thought it was closer to being this season's YES DEAR.
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #248 on: May 04, 2011, 06:49:58 PM »

Nice hat DR CILLA LIZ.

The DVD shall be on its way anon DR TCB.  After a quick re-viewing, it seems that some footage from the 1943 German version was used.

Thanks!  The DVD sounds very interesting...

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #249 on: May 04, 2011, 06:50:05 PM »

I can't quote or go to page nine.  I'll try posting to get there.
4th attempt.

Jane

« Reply #250 on: May 04, 2011, 06:50:59 PM »

I realize that I am probably the last person to ever hear this before, but oh well!

HAPPY STAR WARS DAY!

I also saw that on FB, as you did, and it surprised me.

vixmom

« Reply #251 on: May 04, 2011, 06:51:36 PM »

Welcome to page 9 Jane!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #252 on: May 04, 2011, 06:51:36 PM »

I forgot to mention, DR cillaliz, what a fantastic photo that was! I was going to download it for my "friends file" of photos, but I couldn't take it off the newspaper's page. When DR edisaurus - where is she these days? - was working on the birthday DVD for BK, I was happy I had a photo in my files of the late Richard Valley to send to her for inclusion.

Thanks, I think I may have gotten the photo let's see if this works

It did! It's in my file. Good photo.

I tried to copy it, but it said it couldn't find the file.
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #253 on: May 04, 2011, 06:52:04 PM »

HAPPY STAR WARS DAY!

You're not...I have never read nor heard this before.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #254 on: May 04, 2011, 06:53:13 PM »

I was talking on the phone with my mother and scrolling through the posts (shh, don't tell her...).  It's always a shock when we learn of the death of a DR.  Being a reference librarian, I searched the Social Security Death Index and found that a William Lurie of Queens, NY, who was born in 1942 died on July 2, 2010.

That's him. I remember he lived in Queens.

Where does one find the Social Security Death Index? It sounds like a great place to play.

Most big city newspapers have a link to the Death Index.  I use it at work all the time.
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #255 on: May 04, 2011, 06:53:23 PM »

DR CILLA LIZ - if you would like a somewhat troublesome DVD copy, I would be glad to send it along to you as well.  PM your sail mail.

Ben

« Reply #256 on: May 04, 2011, 06:53:41 PM »

Marian Mercer did pass away on April 27. Here is a notice from the Times

Marian Mercer, a willowy actress with a comedic flair who won a Tony Award in 1969 for her performance in the hit musical “Promises, Promises,” died on April 27 in Newbury Park, Calif. She was 75 and lived in Agoura Hills, Calif.
Enlarge This Image
Leo Friedman

Marian Mercer with Jerry Orbach in "Promises, Promises," in 1969.

The cause was complications of Alzheimer’s disease, her husband, Patrick Hogan, said.

Ms. Mercer, a 5-foot-9 blonde with green eyes and, when necessary, a sultry voice, won the Tony for best featured actress in a musical for her portrayal of Marge MacDougall, a pickup girl at Clancy’s Lounge.

“She’s giving one of the most delicious performances on Broadway, a B-girl who would rather die than have you think she’s cheap, as she deftly maneuvers herself into Jerry Orbach’s apartment, looking forward to bed,” The New York Times said.

But Ms. Mercer could handle more weighty characters. Among dozens of roles in repertory theaters around the country, she was Olivia in “Twelfth Night,” Helena in “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” and Blanche in “A Streetcar Named Desire.”

In the 1978 Broadway production of “Stop the World — I Want to Get Off ,” Ms. Mercer starred with Sammy Davis Jr., playing the four different women in his life with a mix of song, comedy and even mime.

Ms. Mercer’s zany streak led to frequent television appearances with the likes of Johnny Carson, Jonathan Winters and Dom DeLuise. She was seen on “Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman,” “St. Elsewhere,” “Archie Bunker’s Place” and “The Golden Girls,” among many other shows. And on ABC from 1980 through 1982 (and later in syndication) she played the humorless hostess, Nancy Beebe, on “It’s a Living,” a sitcom that followed the lives of waitresses working in an expensive restaurant atop a hotel in Los Angeles.

Marian Ethel Mercer was born in Akron, Ohio, on Nov. 26, 1935, one of five children of Samuel and Nellie Mercer.

Besides her husband of 31 years, she is survived by her sister, Marjorie Keith, and a daughter, Deidre Whitaker. Her first marriage, to Martin Cassidy, an actor she met soon after coming to New York in 1957, ended in divorce.

She was 8 when she began singing lessons, a passion she pursued at the University of Michigan. There she also began acting, taking roles in summer stock theater. She moved to New York in 1957 and, after stints as a model, a hostess at Schrafft’s restaurant and a file clerk, was cast in the choruses of “Greenwillow” and “Fiorello!”

Her big break came in 1961 when she took over the title role in Rick Besoyan‘s Off Broadway hit “Little Mary Sunshine,” a spoof of old-fashioned operettas and musicals.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #257 on: May 04, 2011, 06:53:51 PM »

I received my WHERE EAGLES DARE Blu Ray in the mail today.

Cillaliz

« Reply #258 on: May 04, 2011, 06:54:55 PM »

Cilla - I am beyond jealous that you got to see Sir Elton-  I have always wanted to see one of his concerts  but even the nose bleed seats are beyond my means =  the scalpers grab all the tickets and you need to sell your last licorice all sort to get one  after they get their grubby little paws on them

You would have enjoyed watching the scalper try to sell tickets outside the arena last night.   First a security guard walked up and told him he couldn't sell anything on city property without a permit (the whole block is city property)  he was arguing about just wanting to know the rules and where could he go....there really wasn't anywhere where people would be walking past.   As we reached the door I saw two police men moving in his direction.   Not sure who got the tickets, but I'm sure he didn't make much

Jane

« Reply #259 on: May 04, 2011, 06:55:13 PM »

Welcome to page 9 Jane!

Thanks-lol.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #260 on: May 04, 2011, 06:55:14 PM »

Gosh - I don't even remember a television series called It's A Living!

Cillaliz

« Reply #261 on: May 04, 2011, 06:55:29 PM »

DR CILLA LIZ - if you would like a somewhat troublesome DVD copy, I would be glad to send it along to you as well.  PM your sail mail.

:D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 06:57:24 PM by Cillaliz »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #262 on: May 04, 2011, 06:55:32 PM »

Would anybody here have a MP3 file of Al Jolson's 1920 recording of "Swanee," which is in the public domain?

I need it for a project I'm working on.

It must be the scratchy 1920 recording.

Thanks.

Check your email.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #263 on: May 04, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »

Well, if I die today, blame the vicodin. My mouth is killing me now the anesthesia has worn off so I thought I'd see what was in the medicine cabinet. I had two tablets of vicodin left so without reading the label, I took both of them. Then I got all pancky and called US Poison Control. The man asked me the dosage and told me I will get very drowsy. He didn't  start screaming for an ambulnce or anything so I guess I'll sweat it out.

If you OD, we will send Mikey to revive you.

He'd let me die and spend the visit trying to lure desperate men of Mediterranean aspect up to the fire escape.

I have this vision of a really bad bus & truck WEST SIDE STORY. After all, Mikey is a 14 year-old girl trapped in an old older man's body!

No.  He would like to be trapped in an older man's body.
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #264 on: May 04, 2011, 06:58:05 PM »

Gosh - I don't even remember a television series called It's A Living!

I used to like that show...at one point, the title was changed to "Making a Living."
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #265 on: May 04, 2011, 06:58:15 PM »

I forgot to mention, DR cillaliz, what a fantastic photo that was! I was going to download it for my "friends file" of photos, but I couldn't take it off the newspaper's page. When DR edisaurus - where is she these days? - was working on the birthday DVD for BK, I was happy I had a photo in my files of the late Richard Valley to send to her for inclusion.

Cillaliz

« Reply #266 on: May 04, 2011, 06:58:28 PM »

Try it again.  When I was doing my profile photo I goofed up the saving...if you still can't get it, let me know and I'll reload it

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #267 on: May 04, 2011, 06:58:28 PM »

When the movie first came out in the 70s, I thought the name of the film was THE TAKING OF PHLEGM 123.  I thought it was one of the strangest titles ever.

Now I understand WHY you made this comment out of nowhere. ;D

Sometimes that's the only explanation for his comments! :)

Not to those who read BK's notes every day!
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #268 on: May 04, 2011, 06:59:05 PM »

Never mind.  Elmore beat me to it  :-*

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #269 on: May 04, 2011, 06:59:25 PM »

I converted them to jpeg files.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up