Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: PINS AND NEEDLES  (Read 31767 times)

Dan-in-Toronto

Re:PINS AND NEEDLES
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2004, 10:33:22 AM »

DRtd:

That's great news - glad you're no longer on pins and needles (or, as they say in Yiddish, shpilkes).

Carl, the astronomy professor. It'll be a stellar performance.

Congrats.

td

• td
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2004, 10:34:09 AM »

Trivia question:  Who was Nicholas Surovy's mother?

Well, I know.
But, should I let others hazard a guess? ? ? ?
How's this:

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Opera Diva Rise Stevens.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ben

« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2004, 10:38:51 AM »

Although it is commonly agreed at HHW that Mr. Brent Barrett is the world's sexiest man (or something to that effect, I forget the exact phraseology), I do think that Mr. Michael Berresse gives him a close run for the money. Oy, when he was jumping around the stage of the Martin Beck AKA Al Hirschfeld Theatre in Kiss Me, Kate, I had to will myself to stay seated.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2004, 10:43:12 AM »

Although it is commonly agreed at HHW that Mr. Brent Barrett is the world's sexiest man (or something to that effect, I forget the exact phraseology), I do think that Mr. Michael Berresse gives him a close run for the money. Oy, when he was jumping around the stage of the Martin Beck AKA Al Hirschfeld Theatre in Kiss Me, Kate, I had to will myself to stay seated.

I totally agree with you about Michael.  As much as I enjoyed the WSMA (World's Sexiest Man Alive) Brent Barret's performance, he didn't come to the stage door :'( so I didn't get his autograph or photo.  But seeing Michael up close was a total thrill.  He was so sweet and took the time to chat with me. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2004, 10:43:32 AM »

I read the spoiler so I would know the answer but my question is: who is Nicholas Surovy? Sorry, the name doesn't ring a bell. I Googled him but still don't know much about him. There is a review of a show he did with Helen Gallagher (a William Gibson play called Handy Dandy) but I don't know much else.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2004, 10:47:28 AM »

I directed my final vo session early this morning.  It went fine.  I'm sitting here trying to get at least a rough version of the final show done.

Ben

« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2004, 10:47:29 AM »

Oh, yes. Congrats to TD. I know a lot of Wilson's work but I don't know this particular piece. I'm admitting a lot of things today.

D-I-T, glad you solved your computer problems. It's good to have you back, although I think you've been back for a while, it is me who has been gone.

I'm listening to Donald's show right now. If you haven't listened yet, get over there. It's full of fun stuff this week.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2004, 10:53:54 AM »

And Dear Reader TD is..........CORRECT!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2004, 10:53:57 AM »

DR Robin_Anderson is correct.  ;D

Miss Richard Chamberlain played the composer in THE MUSIC LOVERS.  :D

And Miss Grant Williams played him in a Disneyland episode called THE PETER TCHIAKOVSKY STORY - even though it wasn't exactly that.  :-\

And  for heaven's sake, if we can get the sun to shine in Hawaii, we can certainly get someone a part in a play.  :P
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 10:54:42 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2004, 11:02:19 AM »

It's eleven o'clock and we have 100 posts.  Pretty amazing.  Now, every time I point something like this out everyone runs for the hills.  Instead of doing that let's have... wait... it's coming to me... I know!  A posting frenzy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2004, 11:05:32 AM »

I think I have almost every program of every stage show I've seen.  I've also collected a few rare ones that I just craved.  Being a John Barrymore fan, I have an original Hamlet program from his London production at the Haymarket.  I also have a Hamlet from the Peter O'Toole production directed by Olivier which was the first National Theatre production.   I have programs from theatre productions of favourite novels of mine.  One from the late eighteen hundreds for SHE by Rider Haggard; one from the twenties for SCARAMOUCHE starring British actor/manager John Martin-Harvey; one from the flop production of BEAU GESTE which starred Laurence Olivier and was directed by Basil Dean.  I would love to find the playscripts for these productions.

The rest  of the last 24-hours has been embroiled in this nasty guild business.  Phone calls to and from various members, board members, and former board members all about this crap over our president's ineligibility.  Thankfully, I hear she has resigned. Which is what she should do.  The guild does not need this embarrassing black-eye.  The thing is all this was known before the election and at the time of the election and was brought up and suppressed.  Thankfully it has properly come out and, I think, it is for the better.  Charles Holland, who I felt should have run for president last election, will now be a strong president and a fierce negotiator, and we can get on with the business at hand.  Vickie Riskin and I started out on the WGA Board together as allies back in '97, but over my four years on the board I have felt she has abandoned important issues and drifted so far apart from her positions that I did not support her for president  of the Guild for either of her terms.

Ben

« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2004, 11:06:07 AM »

Hooray! AccuRadio seems to be working. I can get through the rest of the day listening to their "Wide Playlist" described by them as

"All the great hit songs from Broadway shows of our main Broadway channel, plus hundreds more obscure tunes for the die-hard fan!"

I like it but so far, there are not many obscure tunes. Brian Stokes Mitchell in KMK isn't so obscure, nor the Julie Andrews television Cinderella.

Jed

« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2004, 11:07:51 AM »

Congratulations on the role, TD!

Hooray for another paid day off from work, George!

I've been watching some of the non-stop Seattle news coverage of the snow.  I know there are some real traffic messes, but I do have to chuckle some when they do non-stop coverage for the 2-1/2" (of snow, people!) in Seattle. :)  Over on my side of the Cascades, it's been snowing lightly for about 3 hours now, but only about 1/2" (of snow, people!) so far.  Supposed to get 6-8" (of snow, people!) later in the day.

I did go get some yummilicious pancakes this morning, and they were, well, yummilicious. :D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 11:11:39 AM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2004, 11:12:24 AM »

Ben, I was working on a post about Michael Berresse, but I could not improve on "Oy." And thanks for the welcome back. To you, too.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2004, 11:18:20 AM »

Some of my prized theater memorabilia - a rather good collection of first edition plays, including fifty or sixty musicals.  The best of those is my signed copy of Anyone Can Whistle (the original first edition of that is incredibly rare - it and my first of Gypsy are the only things I've ever asked Sondheim to sign for me), and my inscribed first of The Fantasticks (two long and lovely inscriptions from Harvey and Tom).  I also have a wonderfully inscribed copy of Damn Yankees from when I worked with Richard Adler.  I have both Playbill and souvenir program for Li'l Abner which, of course, I love.  I have a signed by Edward Albee playbill from Lolita, I have several signed firsts of Albee plays, I have a first of S.N. Behrman's The Pirate, signed by him, I have lots of interesting and rare sheet music, several bound volumes of the marvelous Theatre Arts magazine, many of which have whole plays printed within, and on and on.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2004, 11:21:56 AM »

Wow, thirteen GUESTS and ten registered users are currently here and not posting.  This is a frenzy?  This isn't even a fr...  Let's at least have a fre.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2004, 11:22:35 AM »

I have an autographed first edition of Henry Mancini's "Did They Mention the Music?"

Does that count?

td

• td
« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2004, 11:23:21 AM »

I have a score of SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE which is inscribed by Mandy Patinkin.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2004, 11:23:54 AM »

At HANDY DANDY, while waiting for the theatre to open, a girl in her young teens happened to mention that her father was in the show.  Since I knew it was a two character show I commented that I was a big fan of her grandmother.  She even looked like a young Rse Stevens.  Unfortunately I wasn't sure if her grandmother had passed away or not (I found out later she is still very much alive) so I didn't want to say too much.  Those of you DRs who don't know Ms. Stevens from her days as the Met's reigning Carmen probably know her from her film appearances, most notably in "Going My Way".

As to who is Nicholas Surovey (besides Ms. Steven's son), he is one of those actors you have probably seen dozens of times is secondary roles on stage, in films and on television without knowing his name.  He may be best known as Mike Roy on ALL MY CHILDREN... the one true love of Erica Kane's life until he "died".  Years later when he came back from the dead (it is a soap after all) she had found many other one true loves.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2004, 11:24:05 AM »

Wow that is a lot of posts for this time of day. But where are the female HHWers?

I am down down down today. I wish I was up up up.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2004, 11:24:45 AM »

I just noticed that I, BK, have supplanted Tom of Oz as the highest poster here at haineshisway.com.  Yes, Virginia, I am the highest of all because Tom of Oz has been SLACKING, do you hear me?  

td

• td
« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2004, 11:25:08 AM »

OHHH! almost forgot! !
I have a playbill from a symphony concert signed by none other than one of HHW's favorite composers: Mr. Michel LeGrand, whom I actually tracked down to his Pittsburgh hotel lobby to obtain!  I was young, I was foolish!  Oh, wait!  I still AM young and foolish!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2004, 11:25:46 AM »

BK---
Thirteen GUESTS could not even cause an F.  Never mind that the registered users aren't posting... why aren't the guests registered?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2004, 11:26:20 AM »

Jennifer, the trick is not to be down, down, down (that is three downs which is way too many downs, more than Churchill), the trick is to be up, up, up, up where we belong.

td

• td
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2004, 11:26:51 AM »

Didn't I have a posting frenzy earlier today, when it was still yesterday?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2004, 11:27:32 AM »

I find it interesting that Mr Mark Kaklbore who never holds grudges or takes away Karma would not respond to my thread on the Technical Board, but that finally Mr BK did.  Hahahahahahahahahhaa.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2004, 11:27:53 AM »

Because some of our GUESTS just like to come and read from afar without joining our merry troupe.  A couple of them don't want us to know who they are (for obvious reasons) and some are too SHY, I confess it they're SHY.

td

• td
« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2004, 11:29:01 AM »

Jennifer, the trick is not to be down, down, down (that is three downs which is way too many downs, more than Churchill), the trick is to be up, up, up, up where we belong.

Who knows what tomorrow brings
In a world, few hearts survive
All I know is the way i feel
When it's real, I keep it alive

The road is long, there are mountains in your way
But we climb a step every day

Love lift us up where we belong, where the eagles cry
On a mountain high
Love lift us up where we belong, far from the world below
up where the clear winds blow

Some hang on to used to be
Live their lives, loking behind

All we have is here and now
All our life, out there to find

The road is long, there are mountains in our way,
But we climb them a step ev'ry day

On a mountain high
Love lift us up where we belong, far from the world
We know, up where the clear winds blow

Time goes by, no time to cry, life's you and I
A live today

On a mountain high
Love lift us up where we belong, far from the wolrd
We know, where the clear winds blow

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2004, 11:29:21 AM »

Yes, TD was his own frenzy.  I, on the other hand, am my own wife.  I actually responded to several things on the tech board so if you had a query do check in there.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2004, 11:30:33 AM »

TD, you are an officer and a gentleman.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up