Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CLOCK IS TICKING  (Read 19747 times)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
Re:THE CLOCK IS TICKING
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2006, 09:23:48 PM »

Interesting point, Matt. We often think of an actor's career in linear fashion. And the fact is, actors—especially from the golden age—were filming sometimes several movies at once, or in quick succession, working on one while another was coming out. It used to befuddle me how actors would say they don't even remember whole movies.

Cillaliz

« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2006, 09:29:42 PM »

I'm getting more into work lately. I haven't decided, but I think I'm going to pass on my Spring trip to New York and go to a seminar in San Diego in February and a late April seminar in Cinncinnati (April 25-28).  

I got an email from a friend in the organization that made it clear they miss me (I pretty much took the last year and a half off going to meetings) so, I've decided to let them talk me into going back.   So far I'm on one committee again and my guess is there will be more. I was really burned out on going to the meetings, but I took a break and I miss everyone now, so I think it's time to go back.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2006, 09:32:26 PM »

Movies I've seen lately:
FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION-Some mild amusement.
TENACIOUS D-Funny, crass, goofy good times.
THE FOUNTAIN-Inscrutable. Managed to be trippy AND boring.

Oldies-
LADY FOR A DAY-Pure genius! Warren William is a god of acting.
ANATOMY OF A MURDER-I really didn't expect this to be so morally ambiguous. Who knew? Good acting all around.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2006, 09:33:02 PM »

But we miss you in New York, Cilla!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2006, 09:33:44 PM »

Interesting point, Matt. We often think of an actor's career in linear fashion. And the fact is, actors—especially from the golden age—were filming sometimes several movies at once, or in quick succession, working on one while another was coming out. It used to befuddle me how actors would say they don't even remember whole movies.

Especially when they'd make them (filming their scenes out of order) and then never actually see the finished product. I can see that a busy actor might not have much memory of certain work years after the fact.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2006, 09:34:51 PM »

Yuck! I just heard Space Food Sticks are back. As I recall, they tasted terrible

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2006, 09:34:55 PM »

Sleepy. Eyes tired. Someone must force this to page 6!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2006, 09:35:06 PM »

I have some computer projects I need to tinker with a bit, so I'm going to say good night now and head down for bed in a bit.

Good night, all!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2006, 09:35:34 PM »

But we miss you in New York, Cilla!

I'm going to do the Sioux City Orpheum Society's Tony Awards trip this year....so if you're really lucky, you'll see me in June!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 09:37:27 PM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2006, 09:36:06 PM »

But thanks for missing me...it's always nice to be missed

Cillaliz

« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2006, 09:36:58 PM »

I am so out of the loop on seeing movies this year. I need to get to the theater

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2006, 09:37:56 PM »

Especially when they'd make them (filming their scenes out of order) and then never actually see the finished product. I can see that a busy actor might not have much memory of certain work years after the fact.

Yes, especially character-type actors. I have one of those old Leonard Maltin paperbacks where he is talking to different character actors back in the late 60s. In some of the interviews he shows them a list of their movies, and someone like Hans Conreid is just going down the list like, "That one I don't recall, no memory of that one, that one was terrible..." etc.

Cillaliz

« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2006, 09:39:20 PM »

Yes, especially character-type actors. I have one of those old Leonard Maltin paperbacks where he is talking to different character actors back in the late 60s. In some of the interviews he shows them a list of their movies, and someone like Hans Conreid is just going down the list like, "That one I don't recall, no memory of that one, that one was terrible..." etc.

That's kind of sad in a way, but they were working and that's a good thing

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2006, 09:39:52 PM »

What are space food sticks?

Cillaliz

« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2006, 09:41:05 PM »

Cillaliz

« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2006, 09:45:13 PM »

here's an ad from the 7os

Cillaliz

« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2006, 09:48:53 PM »

Travel vibes to MBarnum and others making their way to LA  wish I was going to be there.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2006, 09:50:29 PM »

Rodzinski, I'd make some suggestions for your column, but I have to confess I haven't read it before (I do visit Playbill.com though) so I don't know who has already been featured.  I will begin reading from now on!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2006, 09:50:47 PM »

Wow. Never heard of those. I did find a box of Quisp recently, which is back on shelves. I couldn't finish it.

Cillaliz

« Reply #139 on: December 06, 2006, 09:51:23 PM »

I always like Quake better than Quisp

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2006, 09:58:11 PM »

Haha! A rare Quake fan!! Haven't seen Quake revived though.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #141 on: December 06, 2006, 09:59:34 PM »

... and if anyone on this board has ideas of people they would like to see covered, why just let me know.

I suggest not starting with James Barbour

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

FJL

« Reply #142 on: December 06, 2006, 09:59:48 PM »

Rodzinski - Wayman Wong seemed to have an unstated criterion that his featured Leading Men be cute, or at least photogenic.  :)   Might we see some more charactery leading men in the future Leading Men column, or is it still going after the same demographic?  

Cillaliz

« Reply #143 on: December 06, 2006, 10:00:23 PM »

Haha! A rare Quake fan!! Haven't seen Quake revived though.

Cillaliz

« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2006, 10:00:58 PM »

Cillaliz

« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2006, 10:04:11 PM »

Early 1965
70 Billion light years later, Quisp finally arrives on Earth with his Quazy Energy Cereal. Earthlings rejoice with the great new taste from outer space.  

Mid 1965
Subterranean-dwelling Quake soon arrives with his earthquake-powered cereal and a battle for people's tastebuds begins. Rumors that Quisp and Quake were characters created by Jay Ward and Bill Scott (of Rocky and Bullwinkle fame) are denied by a Planet Q spokesalien.  

July 20,1969
The Apollo 11 Mission lands man on the moon and Quisp is still 70 billion light years short of the true target, Planet Q. Mixed up radio transmission alters Neil Armstrong's immortal words which were supposed to have been-- "One small step for man. But we were hoping for a giant bowl of Quisp for mankind."

Quaker, the company that distributes Quisp Cereal for Quisp, starts running low on the 12 billion boxes Quisp brought with him from Planet Q. They have an election letting people vote for their favorite cereal, Quisp or Quake. The winner would remain on the shelves. Knowing they were running out of Quisp anyways, Quaker officials stuffed the ballot boxes with votes for Quake.

Any historian could tell you that, despite voting irregularities, Quisp won the election and Quake was sent back underground. Shortly thereafter, Simon the Quangaroo showed up with his orange-flavored cereal. Yum, yum!  

Simon and Quisp have a cross country race to decide who has the best cereal. And the winner was....?

Cillaliz

« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2006, 10:06:04 PM »

Running low on cereal, Quisp begins the long journey back to Planet Q to get more. Quaker company cuts back Quisp promotions and distribution to prevent riots when the supply runs out.  

As Quisp rushes back to Planet Q, humans crazed for Quazy energy turn to disco.  

1980's
A Quisp-less decade passes in which humans find even gobs of money cannot quench their appetite for the quazy energy cereal from Planet Q.  

Space shuttles begin "hanging around" in space hoping to be the first to get Quisp Cereal.  

Quisp begins journey back to Earth with 12 billion more boxes.  

Lack of Quisp leads to depressing grunge rock proliferation.  

Long range Quisp probes land on Earth with small quantities of Quisp cereal. Quisp sightings reported beginning in western New York state.  

Quisp sightings increase. He is seen in cornfields, constellations, movie houses, everywhere!  

Quisp made available everywhere with advent of Internet sales system. A 56 Cbps (Cereal Bits Per Second) modem is recommended for the freshest virtual delivery into your virtual bowl. (click on icon for details)  

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2006, 10:08:36 PM »

Well, Quisp was cuter

Oh, Please!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Cillaliz

« Reply #148 on: December 06, 2006, 10:09:56 PM »

Ok, it's Planet Q, not Planet X...but I thought it was somewhat appropriate

Cillaliz

« Reply #149 on: December 06, 2006, 10:14:14 PM »

Rodz, it is good to see you here tonight
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up