News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: R&R  (Read 17887 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:R&R
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2006, 10:20:45 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  What a lovely  night's sleep I had.

Now, last night I had to put my car into the garage, which I normally don't do anymore.  Why?  Because for the last four days there have been signs and cones in front of every house for two blocks saying they'd be filming today from seven to ten tonight and if anyone were parked there they'd tow.  So, I looked out the window to see the lineup of honeywagons and big trucks only there's not one in sight.  Just an empty street with no cars parked.  Brilliant.  I may have to call someone and complain.

MBarnum

« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2006, 10:37:44 AM »

I have no picks for the Tony's...although I guess I might wish PAJAMA GAME a win or two (if it is even nominated).

This will be only my second time watching the Tony's!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2006, 10:39:36 AM »

I'm trying to get up the energy to jog before I head over to Glendale.  If I can't, perhaps I'll head over to Glendale and then jog, but then it may be too darn hot, whereas right now it's overcast and cool, man, cool.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2006, 10:42:37 AM »

The latest addition to our backyard menagerie!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2006, 10:57:11 AM »

My new favorite show is the Dog Whisperer- has anyone here seen it?  I love Cesar, the "whisperer."

Cillaliz

« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2006, 11:03:40 AM »

With regard to the hairdye, I agree that you have to be careful, but that most mistakes can generally be remedied.  I have had pink hair for over a year now which some of you have seen.  I bleached out a streak of my hair -which can be damaging, but is essentially what hairdressers are doing when they create highlights and can be restored to health- then covered that blond with semi-permanent pink hair dye.  I retouch the pink every 2 weeks or so and so far so good.

I am fortunate to have a sister who is a professional hair dresser and excellent colorist, so I can always get tips from her.  So far, I have not done anything bad enough to cause hair loss. :)

I remember your pink hair, and I liked it.  That's part of what is keeping me thinking about this...that and the fabulous reception Paul has gotten with his green hair.

Cillaliz

« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2006, 11:04:38 AM »

I don't remember if I saw the pink hair, live and in person, or in a photo, but either way I liked it

Jane

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2006, 11:09:37 AM »

TPunk-I have.

It’s nice to know, according to Cesar, I did more things correctly with Echo & he most likely would have approved.  The mistakes I did make I figured out rather quickly.  There are a few things I have learned from watching him, and honestly a few things I don’t completely agree with.

I completely agree with his views on exercise.  While I don’t have the stamina that man has, my dogs get plenty of exercise on a daily basis.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 11:10:35 AM by Jane »

Ben

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2006, 11:49:19 AM »

So, TPunk, were you amazed at Xanadu or at Hedda Lettuce (or both)? Was this a Hedda night or just a midnight movie?

You had best get out and enjoy the weather. It's getting cloudy in Chelsea. I'm tired of rain!

Ben

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2006, 11:49:57 AM »

Yes, Michael B. Pajama Game received some Tony nominations. It's up for Best Musical Revival, Best Featured Actress in a Musical (Megan Lawrence), Kathleen Marshall was nominated for Best Director for a Musical, it got nominated for Best Costumes, Scenery, Choreography and Orchestrations and Kelly O'Hara and Harry Connick, Jr. were both nominated as Best Actor and Actress in a Musical.

Although CW (that's conventional wisdom in political talk) gives the award to Sweeney Todd for Best Revival, PG could come in. It's hard to say. The third nomination, Three Penny Opera, doesn't have a chance. It seems as if they nominated it mostly because they didn't want just two nominations. I know there are people who like the production and give it credit for a new look and I'm not being nasty when I say this but I thought it was trash. I thought Brecht and Weill would be turning in their graves over this travesty. There were some very good things about it, Jim Dale, for example (and he will probably get the Tony for Best Featured Actor in a Musical) but overall I found it to be an embarassment, IMHO (In My Humble Opinion).

Awake and Sing will win Best Revival of a Play.

It would be great to see Judy Kaye win another Tony but I think it will go to Cynthia Nixon for Rabbit Hole. I think she deserves it, too. There were 5 excellent performances and choosing one brings up the whole awards question of "why do we need to choose a best" The plays in which these actresses performed are all so different that you can't really choose a "best" but having seen them all I do think Cynthia Nixon will win.

I think History Boys will win Best Play, Best Actor in a Play (Richard Griffiths), Best Director (Nicholas Hytner), Best Featured Actress in a Play (Frances de la Tour) and possibly Best Featured Actor in a Play (Samuel Barnett).

Best Director of a Musical will probably go to John Doyle for Sweeney. I saw the show. I found it fascinating and I'm very glad that I saw it, but I must admit at this point it has crossed over from inventive way to stage a show to gimmick. He did Sweeney, then he did Company and then Mack and Mabel (I don't know which he did first Company or M&M). There comes a point of diminishing returns for me. Not every show can be done in this way and I don't think it helps some shows to be cut down to the bone. Sometimes you need the sweep and the people and the sound. I just don't want this to become the next big trend. That being said, Des McAnuff could pull it away from John Doyle. There is a very strong feeling about Jersey Boys which could help McAnuff.

The next few nominations are more difficult to call. Even though there is conventional wisdom surrounding most of them I think we may not know until the envelope is opened.

I think the contest for Best Actress in a Musical is between Patti LuPone and La Chanze. I think La Chanze may take it. Color Purple won't win much else but La Chanze is so electric and amazing as Selie that she has an excellent chance of winning. Patti is a hotly debated performer. Many either love her or hate her but I will admit that in Sweeney she has a completely different take on Mrs. Lovett and she could easily win.

Beth Leavel may win for Drowsy (much deserved) but don't count out Felicia P. Fields from Color Purple. She's wonderful!

I think John Lloyd Young will probably win Best Actor in a Musical (Jersey Boys) but there is a strong undercurrent for Michael Cerveris. Even though he has won other Tonys people are very impressed with his Sweeney. And Mr. Connick does do a very good job in PG. I don't think it's a breakout performance of the kind given by JLY, but it's very good nonetheless.

I think Kathleen Marshall will win Best Choreography for Pajama Game although I want Casey Nicholaw to win for Drowsy Chaperone.

Of the four shows nominated for Best Score I think it has to go to Drowsy Chaperone. Woman in White was not awful but it's certainly not the Best Score on Broadway this season. The Wedding Singer, oh, please!!! There are moments in the Color Purple which are dynamic and moving and soulful but it's not a great score and won't win. That leaves my favorite, Drowsy Chaperone.

It's harder for Best Book. It could go to Drowsy but it also could go to Jersey Boys. I think Wedding Singer and Color Purple are filler.

I would love to see Larry Blank win for Drowsy but as Larry Moore mentioned, it will probably go to Sarah Travis for Sweeney.

For Best Musical I won't be disappointed if either Jersey Boys or Drowsy Chaperone wins. I want Drowsy to win because I love the show so much but Jersey Boys is damn good and if it wins I won't think that it's all politics. There are strong forces on both sides rooting for each show. CW says Jersey Boys but CW also said Wicked two years ago (CW was right about Spamalot). Drowsy may be able to pull it out. Yes, it's a more difficult show to sell than Jersey Boys but if it wins, I think it will have some merit to the victory.

I think I left out Scenery, Costumes and Lighting but those are my (long-winded) thoughts on the Tonys.

I hope Show Off (the Drowsy Chaperone number) plays well on television. It's great in the theatre.

Ben

« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2006, 11:50:42 AM »

We don't get National Geographic Channel any more so we don't watch Dog Whisperer but when I saw it I enjoyed it.

Beautiful Rabbit!

Ben

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2006, 11:51:03 AM »

And I'm talking to myself.

Bye for now.

Jane

« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2006, 11:51:56 AM »

Since is much easier to get a house sitter than a dog sitter, I suppose it is a good thing the older lab puppy we planned to meet next week has found a new home.  

I will continue our search when we return from our visit with Craig.  It has been nine months now since we have seen him.

Bye Ben.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2006, 11:59:45 AM »

Swell picture, DR Jane!
Great photos from last night, DR DakotaCelt.

I went into the office at 4:30 this morning to run off the flyers for Vacation Bible School that were distributed today. I received the master of said flyer at 9 p.m. last night.

We have tickets for the tour of Joseph...Dreamcoat this afternoon. Luckily it is nice and loud and busy, so I will stay awake. I hope.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2006, 12:15:58 PM »

Noon, and I'm the only one in the jernt.  Skammen!

Back from my jog, and will now go to Glendale, then stop at Gelson's to get one of those yummilicious Wolfgang Puck Chicken Caesar salads for my meal o' the day.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2006, 12:23:48 PM »

DR Elmore, I understand what you're saying about SWEENEY, but I have to say I loved it. BUT- a lot of what I loved was that it was so different.  If they do a bunch of shows the same way, the novelty will wear off...at least for me

DR Pogue loved it in London.  I'm not knocking the show, its concept or its success.  It is not a musically satisfying production (to me) and I hope it doesn't become a trend in which actors replace an orchestra.  The orchestration for SWEENEY TODD is a mathematics game on who's available at any time to accompany the show, and it has little to do for me of supplying a satisfactory accompaniment at moments where the actors have to sing instead of scrape, whistle, blow, or bang.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2006, 12:38:08 PM »

Hi elmore-just popping in to say hi, gotta run.

François de Paris

« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2006, 12:55:01 PM »

Let the day go by!

June 5, 1999! Seven years already! Can't believe it! Seven years that Mel Tormé decided to leave this crazy world of ours!

Have been listening to a lot of dear Ella lately! Another heavenly voice!

Thanks for the memories!

François de Paris

« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2006, 12:56:54 PM »

Oh.... I also hope Miss Judy Kaye wins because she's a pet of mine!

And.... Michael of Florida; have you seen that wonderful Canadian comedy C.R.A.Z.Y.?
It's on dvd now and I do recommend it to one and all and vice versa!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2006, 12:57:46 PM »

I must leave now.  Der B must get ahold of his dratted daughter, to find out when they are leaving for the birthday party older grandlad Alex must attend.  The idea is that we will be treating younger grandlad William to a day with his Grampa and Spare.  Which should infuriate older grandlad Alex completely.
Well, that didn't happen.  Instead, while Mommy and Daddy were shopping, we took the lads miniature golfing.  Grampa won.  Then we had to rejoin with the parents, who had determined that they're taking both lads to the birthday party.

So much for quality time with William.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

François de Paris

« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2006, 12:58:41 PM »

DR Pogue loved it in London.  I'm not knocking the show, its concept or its success.  It is not a musically satisfying production (to me) and I hope it doesn't become a trend in which actors replace an orchestra.  The orchestration for SWEENEY TODD is a mathematics game on who's available at any time to accompany the show, and it has little to do for me of supplying a satisfactory accompaniment at moments where the actors have to sing instead of scrape, whistle, blow, or bang.

Hey! Got an idea!
Why don't they use the stagehands as the chorus line?! That's a concept, no? >:(

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2006, 12:59:17 PM »

Oh.... I also hope Miss Judy Kaye wins because she's a pet of mine!
How easy is she to manage on a leash?  And is she housetrained?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2006, 01:00:56 PM »

The Banging of Mrs. Lovett.  That's the title of my next movie.

François de Paris

« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2006, 01:04:08 PM »

We don't get National Geographic Channel any more so we don't watch Dog Whisperer but when I saw it I enjoyed it.

Beautiful Rabbit!

Nah! Beautiful Rabbit has no chance to win! To me, it's a turkey!

So, La Chanze has a chance?! ;)

François de Paris

« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2006, 01:05:44 PM »

How easy is she to manage on a leash?  And is she housetrained?

You bet she is! And her bark is gorgeous! No need of putting a belt on her! :D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 01:06:01 PM by François »

François de Paris

« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2006, 01:07:45 PM »

Swell picture, DR Jane!
Great photos from last night, DR DakotaCelt.

I went into the office at 4:30 this morning to run off the flyers for Vacation Bible School that were distributed today. I received the master of said flyer at 9 p.m. last night.

We have tickets for the tour of Joseph...Dreamcoat this afternoon. Luckily it is nice and loud and busy, so I will stay awake. I hope.

Laura; you look so... catty! ;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2006, 01:25:01 PM »

Back from the Dale of Glen and shall now eat my Wolfgang Puck's chicken casear salad whilst watching Miss Betty Grable.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2006, 02:03:57 PM »

I watched the first episode of UNKNOWN CHAPLIN today entitled "My Happiest Years." I love these three documentaries on Chaplin's work process very much and have watched them many times, though not much lately. Wonderful to see this first one (my favorite of the three) again.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2006, 02:11:32 PM »

Then, I put in GIRL CRAZY and am about 1/3 of the way through it. Always an entertaining show.

Did MGM think June Allyson was going to be the next Betty Hutton? Her "Treat Me Rough" is done in that bombastic Hutton-style that June really didn't do much in the movies. I know June was Betty's understudy in PANAMA HATTIE on Broadway, but I wonder if that colored opinions about her when she went to Hollywood.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2006, 02:12:31 PM »

Best friend John has invited me over for a movie night tonight, so I'll be gone from these here parts for a few hours tonight. Should be back later to give a report.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up