Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: PULLING A FAST ONE  (Read 29347 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:PULLING A FAST ONE
« Reply #150 on: February 06, 2006, 01:53:34 PM »

I want a rilled chicken sandwich.

Uh-huh -- nothing like a sammich washed out in a rill....and I guess there's "lazy music" involved?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #151 on: February 06, 2006, 01:54:29 PM »

On the way back from the Park, I made another stop at Ukrop's to pick up a smoothie - my post-run "meal", and now I'm back at my friend's, Mike's place catching up on the posts from today... While one of his cats is sitting in my lap.  I believe, I'm sitting in her chair.   ;)

-And she also had not been de-clawed, and my attempts to get her off my lap have reminded me of that fact.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #152 on: February 06, 2006, 01:56:18 PM »

What will happen to him?

Sadly, nothing much. We've called him to C&D (cease & desist) his auditions, to remove all audition notification from all internet, print, broadcast or other media, and cancel any plans to perform any portion of RENT.

I thought this guy was in his mid- to late-20's, but according to my snitch, he's really in his late-30's. He tried to dupe us on his recent production of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST - the show was in August and we still haven't received any of our orchestral books or scripts back from him, not to mention all the money he got back because he couldn't sell tickets to his show. Anyway, my snitch informed me that this guy's alcoholic mother apparently put her house up for a second mortgage to help pay for his production of BEAUTY. Now he's trying to do RENT with a new company name. Well...it ain't gonna happen.

We have actors, directors and designers all over the Boston area calling us about this guy. He can't poop without us knowing about it now. If his production of RENT goes on, he may face legal action.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #153 on: February 06, 2006, 01:56:51 PM »

DR Jason - Glad to hear you had a good time in Boston.

*I was just checking out the various events that are going on tonight in NYC.... WOW!  Lots of stuff, free and otherwise.  And it looks like members of the cast of Chita's show will be at Splash tonight for a special presentation and ticket giveaway.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #154 on: February 06, 2006, 01:58:20 PM »

I read this weekend that not only is LADY ANMD THE TRAMP coming out in a new anamorphic set soon, but THE LITTLE MERMAID is being given the Platinum Edition treatment in the fall.

The first DVD of THE LITTLE MERMAID I passed on since it wasn't anamorphic and I already had the movie on laserdisc in a letterboxed version. I'll be very eager to get this spiffed up version of the movie this fall.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 01:59:09 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #155 on: February 06, 2006, 02:02:06 PM »

OOH! Gottas run! WBBL!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #156 on: February 06, 2006, 02:06:08 PM »

Uh-huh -- nothing like a sammich washed out in a rill....and I guess there's "lazy music" involved?

There will be if I have anything to do with it.

RYAN'S DAUGHTER dvd ordered!  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #157 on: February 06, 2006, 02:06:20 PM »

As for BK's Musical Theatre Audition Class:

The difference between:
-A Good Song
-A Good Audition Song
-A Good Audition Song for YOU!

I also have a problem when I'm behind the table with how people announce themselves and their material.  Some of their "speeches" just sound, so, well, academic -and since they probably learned them in a class, well...  I just want to hear you sing, act.  I, personally, don't find it necessary to know what piece your doing.  In fact, sometimes that brief bit of information before starting a song or monologue can work against an actor.  "Oh, she's doing a song from a show I just directed."  "Oh, he's doing that song I can't stand."  Just do it!  -And then let the people behind the table ask you where your song and/or monologue from them.  Then at least you know they were listening, and are more likely interested.

OH!  And, YES, you can overdress for an audition.  And if you do choose to "dress up" for an audition, make sure you're wearing clothes you like to wear and look comfortable in.  I've seen way too many people who are wearing what they were told to wear, and consequently look uncomfortable when they walk in the room.

*Personally, I just like to see someone look comfortable.  They can come in wearing jeans and a nice t-shirt.  Casual dress of OK with me.  I wanna hear the voice, not guess what designer they're wearing.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 02:27:37 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2006, 02:07:30 PM »

BRIEF ENCOUNTER is on TCM.  I remember an interview with Wendy Wasserstein saying it was one of her favorite movies - if not her absolute favorite!

Watching it today is a bit sadder than  usual.

Ginny

« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2006, 02:07:50 PM »

As our esteemed bk is preparing for his college teaching endeavor, I have spent today going through files and getting rid of my past life as a college instructor (my "free-lance" work while a mostly stay-at-home mom in the 1980's and 1990's).  Most of the files and papers are being pitched, but I've had to sort carefully and shred anything that has former students' Social Security numbers.

Before pitching a 1993 article about the then-new president of Miami University, I thought I'd share his definition of an educated person:  A person who can entertain an idea; a person who can entertain a friend; a person who can entertain oneself.

I am also remembering how much I hated teaching College Study Skills.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #160 on: February 06, 2006, 02:08:45 PM »

...And I've played some "big time Broadway" auditions, and most students would be surprised at just relaxed and casual those auditions can be most of the time.  Laugh.  Smile.  Relax.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #161 on: February 06, 2006, 02:16:39 PM »

I was watching the "Making of MISS SAIGON" DVD last night and they feature the auditions in NYC, LA, Honolulu and Milan. Some of them were truly awful. Lea Salonga's was very relaxed and she did her thing and that was that.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #162 on: February 06, 2006, 02:17:25 PM »

And one more political statement before I get back to work. Even though much of the world doesn't accept the definition or the relationship I feel as if we are married. If anyone (no one here, I'm not ranting at you people) disagrees, tough sh*t. It's not your business and you can't define my family and my "marriage. Perhaps you can insert some legal bulls*** to assuage  your moral outrage at my defiance but again, I don't give a rat's behind what you think. You are not part of our life and we will live happily as husband and husband knowing that we are secure in our past, present and future.

Enough said.

I love this!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jason

« Reply #163 on: February 06, 2006, 02:22:22 PM »

And one more political statement before I get back to work. Even though much of the world doesn't accept the definition or the relationship I feel as if we are married. If anyone (no one here, I'm not ranting at you people) disagrees, tough sh*t. It's not your business and you can't define my family and my "marriage. Perhaps you can insert some legal bulls*** to assuage  your moral outrage at my defiance but again, I don't give a rat's behind what you think. You are not part of our life and we will live happily as husband and husband knowing that we are secure in our past, present and future.

Enough said.

I wish my parents could see that. When all my stuff started a couple of weeks ago they offered to do whatever I needed them to do to help me, meaning they'd pay at least a portion of the fees for me to see a therapist. Thursday night that unconditional offer turned into something along the lines of, "We'll pay for you to go to therapy if you see a Christian counselor."

I told them I'd think about it, but I wouldn't make any commitments. Picking a therapist is a very personal thing. I'm not going to let them bully me into picking one.

Jennifer

« Reply #164 on: February 06, 2006, 02:23:20 PM »

I think it will be very interesting to hear about BK's musical theatre class.

Hmmm I am making chicken enchiladas tonight.  But I'm still feeling sort of depressed. I need to snap out of it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #165 on: February 06, 2006, 02:23:25 PM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Here's the Cliff's Notes version:

I've been in one major relationship.  Steve and I met over Labor Day weekend a couple of years ago.  I moved in three weeks later.  We were together for three and a half years.  We had good times and tough times, but we were always there for each other - even when I started to get more work on the road.  Alas, my time on the road eventually took its toll on our relationship, and I came home one day and he wanted to talk, and...

It was actually a very amicable break up.  I had one or two "good crys" during the period, but, otherwise, I was on the same page.  I didn't see that initially.  I didn't want to admit that initially, out loud, but, eventually, the truth just started to sink in.  We had both just grown into different people.  We did not grow apart, we just had different needs from when we first got together.

Steve was my first major relationship.  And I was Steve's second relationship.  Well, third.  He had been married for fifteen years, then divorced, then in his first relationship with a man.  Basically, we were both still learning what a relationship was, what it needed to endure.  And what we needed from a relationship.  The good and the not so good.

We are still very good friends.  In fact, I'd say we're better friends now than when we were together.  He also got to know my family, and I got to know his, and there's still that connection too.  That being said...

I'm currently "dating around" as they say.  And I've been having a good time meeting new people and making new friends.  The past few months down here in DC have been a little "tricky" in the sense that I've actually met some very compatible people, but since I know that I'm no longer based in DC, I've made sure not to let myself get too attached, and not to lead anyone on.  And even before heading down to DC to work on Damn Yankees, there was/is one guy in New York City, that I had been seeing quite regularly, but since I was going to be away for a bit, we sort of put things on hold.  We shall what happens when I return...

I like being single right now.  And I've learned the difference between being alone and being lonely.  If another relationship happens to come my way, well... I We shall see...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 02:36:01 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #166 on: February 06, 2006, 02:23:36 PM »

Those are some wonderful things to know and remember, DR Jose, for those of us who audition for musical theater. Always good to hear from a pro.

Matt H.

« Reply #167 on: February 06, 2006, 02:25:19 PM »

BRIEF ENCOUNTER has some of the sad ache of romantic longing and frustration that makes BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN so memorable.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #168 on: February 06, 2006, 02:26:38 PM »

I wish somebody around here would do a good production of HMS PINAFORE....that show makes me laugh and laugh and laugh.

Ring the merry bells aboard ship
Rend the air with warbling wild....

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #169 on: February 06, 2006, 02:26:54 PM »

OK.. I think I've "cooled down" long enough after my run.  I still need to cleaned up, and head out somewhere...  I think I may stop by the rehearsal for the Richmond Men's Chorus tonight.  Steve is their pianist, and I'm good friends with their director as well as a couple of members.  I'll probably end up joining them for their post-rehearsal food and drink.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #170 on: February 06, 2006, 02:27:45 PM »

I wish my parents could see that. When all my stuff started a couple of weeks ago they offered to do whatever I needed them to do to help me, meaning they'd pay at least a portion of the fees for me to see a therapist. Thursday night that unconditional offer turned into something along the lines of, "We'll pay for you to go to therapy if you see a Christian counselor."

I told them I'd think about it, but I wouldn't make any commitments. Picking a therapist is a very personal thing. I'm not going to let them bully me into picking one.

DR Jason do they want you to see a therapist because they are hoping to change you? Or do they just want someone that you can talk to?

Matt H.

« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2006, 02:27:53 PM »

Well, I should head down now and get started on the cleaning chore of the day. Then, off for some reading and then TV watching with an evening full of network TV in HD.

WBBL.

Matt H.

« Reply #172 on: February 06, 2006, 02:29:08 PM »

I wish somebody around here would do a good production of HMS PINAFORE....that show makes me laugh and laugh and laugh.

Ring the merry bells aboard ship
Rend the air with warbling wild....

How ironic that you should mention this! One of my hosts last night is auditioning for HMS PINAFORE on February 15th! Small world!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #173 on: February 06, 2006, 02:29:11 PM »

BRIEF ENCOUNTER has some of the sad ache of romantic longing and frustration that makes BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN so memorable.

Now that you mention it....

Write that comparison for an internet review, DRMATTH - it's a great comparison and I can see many parallels.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #174 on: February 06, 2006, 02:29:41 PM »

How ironic that you should mention this! One of my hosts last night is auditioning for HMS PINAFORE on February 15th! Small world!

I don't suppose it's being produced in Indianer?

Jennifer

« Reply #175 on: February 06, 2006, 02:30:46 PM »

I am looking forward to tonight's MEDIUM. The previews make it look interesting.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #176 on: February 06, 2006, 02:32:26 PM »

OH!

And I think BK's class will either be a breath of fresh air for some people or a little "too real" for others.  The number of fresh-out-of-college students that I've worked with who truly have no idea of just what the real world is, well, just way too many.  And that's truly unfortunate.  Yes, a good musical theatre class will teach you how to audition, how to perform, how to hone your craft, but I also believe it should also prepare you for the inevitable rejection and heartache that is very much a part of this business.  -I don't mean to sound that harsh, but... maybe I do.  In any case, knowing BK's very no-nonsense approach to things general, I think his students could end up learning a lot more than their tuition is covering.  And I mean that in every possible good sense.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #177 on: February 06, 2006, 02:34:24 PM »

DR Jason do they want you to see a therapist because they are hoping to change you? Or do they just want someone that you can talk to?

Well... Having dealt with a sort of similar situation with my parents when I was in high school... A Catholic high school... The phrase, "Iron Fist, Velvet Glove" comes to mind.

...And I'll leave it that for now.  I've moved on!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 02:35:11 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #178 on: February 06, 2006, 02:40:46 PM »

...And I'll leave it that for now.  I've moved on!

"Dating around" and "making new friends" - DR JOSE, you have moved on with a vengeance!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 02:41:58 PM by JRand55 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #179 on: February 06, 2006, 02:41:35 PM »

DR JENNIFER some good Monday evening TV should help you through.  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up