Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I WISH I WERE AN OSCAR MEYER WIENER  (Read 14586 times)

Ginny

Re: I WISH I WERE AN OSCAR MEYER WIENER
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2011, 07:32:20 PM »

Wednesday evening greetings!  My sister and I had a nice day trip to Lansing today.  We met Mary Linda and her Mom for lunch near their workplaces and they made a suggestion for a rehearsal dinner venue.  After my sister did some genealogy work at the Michigan Archives and I toured the historical museum, I drove her out to see the reception venue and then we went to the rehearsal dinner place to meet Mary Linda.  We all liked the space and decided over dinner that instead of a heavy sit-down dinner, we'll have a buffet of appetizers and sweets after the wedding rehearsal.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2011, 07:37:59 PM »

Sounds like a great day, Ginny!!

MBarnum

« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2011, 07:54:55 PM »

I have booked my flight, hotel, and car for my trip to the Bank of Bur in October. I shall be in the LA area from Oct. 7th to 14th. You have been warned.

Congratulations.  I hope you find your energy long before your trip.

What hotel are you staying at?

For the first couple of nights I will be staying at the Burbank Marriott, while the HOllywood Show is there, afterwards I move to a cheap flophouse for the remainder! LOL!

Ginny

« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2011, 07:59:19 PM »

It was a very good day, DR Cillaliz, and I'm quite tired.  Tomorrow I'm taking my sister and her husband out for a 49th wedding anniversary brunch before I head home to Ohio.

'night!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2011, 08:02:39 PM »

I'm not into the royal wedding, but I thought these cookies were really nice.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2011, 08:03:11 PM »

Sounds like a great day, Ginny!!
It does.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2011, 08:03:56 PM »

The Fighter is a much better movie than I expected it would be.  I liked it.
It's crazy good.
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2011, 08:15:07 PM »

Good Evening!

Greetings from Centreville, Virginia!

Where a line of thunderstorms just moved through... And another one may be on the way.

As DR KevinH stated earlier, the DC area has been under Severe Weather Alerts for the past couple of hours. -There were even reports of possible tornados.
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2011, 08:19:18 PM »

Too many tornadoes out there. Too much hot air blowing about. vibes for all in or near their paths.
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2011, 08:22:35 PM »

...And it's also been a bit scary - and hopeful - following some of my friends on Twitter. Some of them are staff and students in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, and, thankfully, none of them were directly affected by the tornado that devastated parts of their downtown earlier.

Another friend of mine is currently in Mississippi helping out the Red Cross from last week's damage in a couple of counties. Sadly, 11 of the 15 areas that they've been helping out in were affected again earlier tonight.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 08:24:27 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2011, 08:26:23 PM »

Wednesday evening greetings!  My sister and I had a nice day trip to Lansing today.  We met Mary Linda and her Mom for lunch near their workplaces and they made a suggestion for a rehearsal dinner venue.  After my sister did some genealogy work at the Michigan Archives and I toured the historical museum, I drove her out to see the reception venue and then we went to the rehearsal dinner place to meet Mary Linda.  We all liked the space and decided over dinner that instead of a heavy sit-down dinner, we'll have a buffet of appetizers and sweets after the wedding rehearsal.

And what type of food arrangements have been made for the wedding reception?

Remember: It's all about the food. ;)

Hope you get a good night's sleep tonight.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2011, 08:27:27 PM »

Back from the chiropractor and do I ever feel better.

Of course just looking at the chiropractor could make one feel better, so handsome he is.

Now I understand why my experience with a chiropractor was useless, mine wasn't good looking enough ;)

LOL!!! DR Jane!!! ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2011, 08:32:52 PM »

Vibes to All in the paths of the many severe storms and tornadoes the past few days...

Cillaliz

« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2011, 08:33:34 PM »

And please, everyone, if they tell you to take cover....just do it.

Cillaliz

« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2011, 08:39:49 PM »

I don't have anything scheduled at the office on Friday....so I think I'm going to get up and watch THE wedding.   I love the pomp and circumstance and no one does that quite like the British. 

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2011, 08:42:06 PM »

The lineup for the Strouse show sounds great. "Rags" is a great score, so is "Dance a Little Closer,"even if the productions were not up to snuff.

The problem wasn't the productions, it was the books! They stank.

The productions were quite lush and interesting.

I saw a production of RAGS at the late Coconut Grove Playhouse. It included If We Never Meet Again. Unfortunatly it was not sung in its entirity.

The problem with this production as I remember was the libretto as it was the original. This production elimanated characters and tried to focus on the core characters and streamline the various stories. I felt there were still too many characters and even though they tried to focus the stories instead of a kalidiscope of the imigrant experience the plot was slight

The score is still a standout.

I still remember the chamber version of Rags that American Jewish Theatre presented back in 1991(!). The cast of 30 was cut down to 9(!), and the "orchestra" was cut down to a piano, a drum set (I think), and one of the actors playing clarinet (klezmer) during certain scenes and songs.

It starred Ann Crumb as Rebecca, and Crista Moore as Bella. The book had been majorly revised and evened out the stories of Rebecca and Bella, and was told from the viewpoint of Rebecca's son. It was far from perfect, but having Crista Moore sing "Rags", and Ann Crumb singing "Children of the Wind" just 10 feet from me... WOW!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2011, 08:45:17 PM »

Vibes to All in the paths of the many severe storms and tornadoes the past few days...

YIKES! And I just a report that the tornado that started in Tuscaloosa, has just worked its way across four states. It just crossed the South Carolina/North Carolina state line.
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2011, 08:46:25 PM »

The lineup for the Strouse show sounds great. "Rags" is a great score, so is "Dance a Little Closer,"even if the productions were not up to snuff.

The problem wasn't the productions, it was the books! They stank.

The productions were quite lush and interesting.

I saw a production of RAGS at the late Coconut Grove Playhouse. It included If We Never Meet Again. Unfortunatly it was not sung in its entirity.

The problem with this production as I remember was the libretto as it was the original. This production elimanated characters and tried to focus on the core characters and streamline the various stories. I felt there were still too many characters and even though they tried to focus the stories instead of a kalidiscope of the imigrant experience the plot was slight

The score is still a standout.

I still remember the chamber version of Rags that American Jewish Theatre presented back in 1991(!). The cast of 30 was cut down to 9(!), and the "orchestra" was cut down to a piano, a drum set (I think), and one of the actors playing clarinet (klezmer) during certain scenes and songs.

It starred Ann Crumb as Rebecca, and Crista Moore as Bella. The book had been majorly revised and evened out the stories of Rebecca and Bella, and was told from the viewpoint of Rebecca's son. It was far from perfect, but having Crista Moore sing "Rags", and Ann Crumb singing "Children of the Wind" just 10 feet from me... WOW!
That would be a wow, even though it was directed by Elmore's favorite, Lonny Price.
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2011, 08:49:19 PM »

And...

Break

I'm about to start analyzing the Ballet, so...

I just need to not look at all those little black dots and lines for a few minutes.

Isn't Gemze staging the dances?

I believe all of the choreography for this production was done by Parker Esse - who was just awarded a Helen Hayes Award for his choreography on Monday. The production is in the round, so... However, as per the contract, there is still an "Original Dances by Agnes Demille" credit in the program and publicity materials.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2011, 08:52:30 PM »

That would be a wow, even though it was directed by Elmore's favorite, Lonny Price.

Well... I believe the "1991" Lonny Price is quite different from the "2000->" Lonny Price. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2011, 08:54:07 PM »

Well... I believe the "1991" Lonny Price is quite different from the "2000->" Lonny Price. ;)
Elmores never forget. Or something like that.
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2011, 08:57:01 PM »

Rags 1991, cont'd...

And the young actor who played David (the son), Jonathan Kaplan, in that production, would then go on to play Jason in Falsettos the following season on Broadway.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2011, 08:57:29 PM »

Elmore, I meant to say so earlier, but I'm not sure I did, so, please accept my condolences about your friend,

Cillaliz

« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2011, 08:58:23 PM »

I am sleepy...think I'll get some shut eye

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2011, 09:00:53 PM »

Rags 1991, cont'd...

And the young actor who played David (the son), Jonathan Kaplan, in that production, would then go on to play Jason in Falsettos the following season on Broadway.

And to tie this into something we were discussing yesterday...

Josh Blake who played David in the original Broadway production of Rag, portrayed Ulysses in the Broadway production of The Human Comedy.
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2011, 09:29:09 PM »

All the world's a stage ...
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2011, 09:47:19 PM »

Back from the eye doctor and $350 lighter with two pairs of glasses on the way. Not happy with the total, but I have put off going for a year, and with my diabetes, that isn't good.

DR JohnG - With the food-writing and reporting that you do, have you ever had to turn down an assignment due to your personal nutritional and health needs and concerns?

A friend of mine just gave up his rather extensive food-blogging and freelance restaurant reviewing since his "professional obligation" to eat "richly" on a regular basis was starting to be detrimental to his health.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2011, 10:06:28 PM »

bk - Did  you have access to a copy of the Vocal Selections from Rags? Both "Children of the Wind" and the title song are arranged as solo numbers.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2011, 10:16:24 PM »

Thanks. It's got some great photos and great illustrations.  It's way cool. 

Nice find!
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2011, 10:16:44 PM »

Back from the eye doctor and $350 lighter with two pairs of glasses on the way. Not happy with the total, but I have put off going for a year, and with my diabetes, that isn't good.

DR JohnG - With the food-writing and reporting that you do, have you ever had to turn down an assignment due to your personal nutritional and health needs and concerns?

A friend of mine just gave up his rather extensive food-blogging and freelance restaurant reviewing since his "professional obligation" to eat "richly" on a regular basis was starting to be detrimental to his health.
I try to eat just a taste or two of something I shouldn't eat, which is largely the starches, especially pasta and rice. And since cutting back, things haven't been bad. I remember a food trip to New York about 12 years ago in which we ate five multi-course meals a day for five days. It was murder on the body. And while some of the food was very good, nothing was spectacular.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up