Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: RHAPSODY IN BLUE  (Read 27860 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: RHAPSODY IN BLUE
« Reply #330 on: November 12, 2008, 08:00:05 PM »

Indeed DR TOMovOZ.....that's what we thought?  What's not to like?

By the time we did the Gift Exchange Ballet, we were sure we had a hit on our hands.....and we did sell out most performances.....I even called the Hannakah Square Dance.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #331 on: November 12, 2008, 08:02:29 PM »

Page Twelve Nativity Disco Dance.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 08:04:12 PM by JRand58 »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #332 on: November 12, 2008, 08:06:55 PM »

JRand, Best Buy has Annette on sale for $24.99.

Actually, Best Buy has the Disney tins on sale for 2/$40. Best friend John and I are headed there tomorrow to pick up DR. SYN and ANNETTE for me and DR. SYN for him. He's also buying DONALD which I will buy from him for $20.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #333 on: November 12, 2008, 08:12:16 PM »

I'm listing to the OBC "Carnival".

I find it such a moving piece.

I've only ever seen two productions. The non professional version I've seen "missed" the show entirely.

When will "Lili" be released on DVD I wonder

CARNIVAL is one of my most fondly remembered Broadway productions. I know it takes special skills to pull it off in a local production, but no one even tries any more, and that's a shame because it's beautiful and quite moving.

As for LILI, that's one of the REAL mysteries. DVD has been around since 1997 and after 11 years, we don't have an official  DVD release of LILI. Amazing. (I have to say my VHS and the DVD-R recorded off TCM both have some bothersome damage. I suspect Warner is searching for better elements.)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #334 on: November 12, 2008, 08:12:50 PM »

And for those Film Score Fans here on HHW - fans of John Williams in particular...

An A Capella Tribute To John Williams

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #335 on: November 12, 2008, 08:14:51 PM »

I got 7 more episodes of THE ODD COUPLE watched this evening making 14 episodes watched today. I have 8 to watch tomorrow to be done with the set.

Some weak episodes in this bunch with Paul Williams having an episode to himself with four songs sung. Another crammed Howard Cosell, Martina Arroyo, and Jack Carter into the same episode. Argh!

Matt H.

« Reply #336 on: November 12, 2008, 08:15:58 PM »

But there was also one of my favorite episodes as Oscar trashes NYC in a column and Felix goes out of his way to show Oscar the "real" New York ending up on the subway with some really funny bits of business.

Matt H.

« Reply #337 on: November 12, 2008, 08:18:22 PM »

BONES had a good case tonight and some really interesting confrontation between Brennan and Sealy. The new lab assistant wasn't new, of course. This is the third episode he's been a part of, and I don't like him.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #338 on: November 12, 2008, 08:19:17 PM »

Greetings....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #339 on: November 12, 2008, 08:19:28 PM »

Vibes to Elmore....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

« Reply #340 on: November 12, 2008, 08:19:57 PM »

Next I watched last night's THE MENTALIST. An excellent episode with lots of "psychic" stuff from Patrick. No wonder the show scored its highest ratings yet with this episode. Showing off his skills in a variety of ways is one of the things that really make this show unique. When that's played down, the show is less interesting.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #341 on: November 12, 2008, 08:20:32 PM »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #342 on: November 12, 2008, 08:21:14 PM »

Congrats Druxy on your book!

Matt H.

« Reply #343 on: November 12, 2008, 08:21:17 PM »

And I concluded my evening with tonight's LIFE. Wonderful episode. I agree with DR Elmore. Charlie's quirky character is SO much fun, and the case was interesting. The stuff with his ex-wife I could have done without.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #344 on: November 12, 2008, 08:22:35 PM »

Continued vibes to vixmom!

Tomovoz

« Reply #345 on: November 12, 2008, 08:26:04 PM »

I'm listing to the OBC "Carnival".

I find it such a moving piece.

I've only ever seen two productions. The non professional version I've seen "missed" the show entirely.

When will "Lili" be released on DVD I wonder

CARNIVAL is one of my most fondly remembered Broadway productions. I know it takes special skills to pull it off in a local production, but no one even tries any more, and that's a shame because it's beautiful and quite moving.

As for LILI, that's one of the REAL mysteries. DVD has been around since 1997 and after 11 years, we don't have an official  DVD release of LILI. Amazing. (I have to say my VHS and the DVD-R recorded off TCM both have some bothersome damage. I suspect Warner is searching for better elements.)

Thanks Matt. 

My memories of "Carnival" are from 1962 I would think. I was so moved by the charm of the story.  I have no idea who played the leads here in Australia.  I've love to see a professional production again.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #346 on: November 12, 2008, 08:29:02 PM »

Nice to meet ya Lulu...

Tomovoz

« Reply #347 on: November 12, 2008, 08:29:27 PM »

I was thinking about other shows I'd like to see revisited.  I loved "Billy" way back in the mid 70's when Crawford really had charisma and boyish charm.  I wonder if Will Young (from "Mrs Henderson Presents") could carry it off.  So much of the dialogue in the musical (and indeed the lyrics) were so close to the original book. 
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #348 on: November 12, 2008, 08:29:43 PM »

It looks like I shall be playing one of the three kings in a production of Amahl and the Night Visitors in January.

I have, at one time or another over the years, played all three of the kings - though not at the same time!   :)

So - Pick the Queen Name That King:

der Brucer

*Picture on loan from DHS files

What a distinguished looking group of men....

Kerry

« Reply #349 on: November 12, 2008, 08:30:35 PM »

Page Twelve Nativity Disco Dance.

A nice Norman Rockwell Christmas!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #350 on: November 12, 2008, 08:37:34 PM »

And for those Film Score Fans here on HHW - fans of John Williams in particular...

An A Capella Tribute To John Williams

;)

Truly bizarre!
I like boat races.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #351 on: November 12, 2008, 08:40:33 PM »

I made my debut as the innkeeper's wife about 10 or so years ago.

I bet nearly ALL of us have appeared in the Nativity in one form or another.

Shepherd here! (I guess when I was about 10)
(Washing my socks by night)

I was the angel who appeared to the shepherds, once.  No lines, I just had to look angelic. (Oh shut up, it was a long time ago)

As a very young child, I played a donkey.  We did a little performance piece one Christmas called The Friendly Beasts, where each animal had a verse to sing about their role in the nativity scene.  I still remember my verse

""I," said the donkey, shaggy and brown,
"I carried His mother up hill and down;
 I carried her safely to Bethlehem town."
"I," said the donkey, shaggy and brown.

I was only about five, the youngest member,and very nervous about my part.  When it came time to watch the video of the performance, it was discovered that whoever was taping chose my song as the time to change over to a new tape, so my part was not on there.  I still remember going to my mother, sobbing, because I didn't get to hear myself. 

The wounds of childhood :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #352 on: November 12, 2008, 08:49:36 PM »

In my first nativity, I was one of the angels in the crowd looking on in wonder.....I did graduate to Joseph a few years later...and in a special presentation written by my 4th grade teacher, I played an earthling who taught the story of Christmas to a man from Mars.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #353 on: November 12, 2008, 08:50:28 PM »

I made my debut as the innkeeper's wife about 10 or so years ago.

I bet nearly ALL of us have appeared in the Nativity in one form or another.

Shepherd here! (I guess when I was about 10)
(Washing my socks by night)

I was the angel who appeared to the shepherds, once.  No lines, I just had to look angelic. (Oh shut up, it was a long time ago)

As a very young child, I played a donkey.  We did a little performance piece one Christmas called The Friendly Beasts, where each animal had a verse to sing about their role in the nativity scene.  I still remember my verse

""I," said the donkey, shaggy and brown,
"I carried His mother up hill and down;
 I carried her safely to Bethlehem town."
"I," said the donkey, shaggy and brown.

I was only about five, the youngest member,and very nervous about my part.  When it came time to watch the video of the performance, it was discovered that whoever was taping chose my song as the time to change over to a new tape, so my part was not on there.  I still remember going to my mother, sobbing, because I didn't get to hear myself. 

The wounds of childhood :D

Oh the agony of the reel changes......

Matt H.

« Reply #354 on: November 12, 2008, 08:54:12 PM »

I guess I need to write for a bit and then downstairs.

Good night!

FJL

« Reply #355 on: November 12, 2008, 08:55:30 PM »

Are the corporate bailouts too political to discuss?

Just wanted to post a link to the youtube video (about 3:40 minutes) of a parody lyric I wrote about the AIG bailout. 

Jose's roommmate Jim really made this video come together from the various video clips...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha8Q2KHzuME
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 09:02:18 PM by FJL »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #356 on: November 12, 2008, 09:05:29 PM »

I played an angel...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #357 on: November 12, 2008, 09:11:37 PM »

Well, I'm (already) sleepy, so...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #358 on: November 12, 2008, 09:20:58 PM »

Today I am going out for dinner and then to The Byham Theater to see (and hear) Miss Idina Menzel.  She has an early start-time (7:30), so it will be an early dinner and an early night.

I've also seen Anthony Rapp, he's done a couple of plays here in Pittsburgh.

I have no desire, nor ever did, to see RENT onstage.

Well, she and Anthony Rapp were the best things about the production of RENT that I saw.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

MBarnum

« Reply #359 on: November 12, 2008, 09:24:39 PM »

And why is MBarnum buying other people's books - has he got the new Hofstetter mystery yet?  And, if so, I don't recall seeing an amazon review.

BK, I will be buying my copy from you personally next time I am down in Los Angeles, which hopefully will be this spring, if not sooner. Saves on postage that way.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 09:38:25 PM by MBarnum »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up