Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: TILT-A-WHIRL  (Read 97344 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:TILT-A-WHIRL
« Reply #330 on: August 16, 2007, 05:50:25 PM »

I have a question which I'm hoping some DR can answer.

I found a bunch of foreign bills from when different family members have been on vacation.

I know most of them i can just bring to any foreign exchange center.

But i am wondering what i can do with certain currencies that are no longer used (for instance one bill is 50 francs). Would they still accept them at the foreign currency center. Would a bank take them? Are they now collectors items?

Any ideas would be helpful, thanks.

As another DR already mentioned, if it's a currency that has now been replaced by the Euro, it's now, technically, just (scrap) paper or metal.

Most banks - at least here in the States - require a minimum amount of currency in order for it to be exchanged for USD.  *And when I got back from Australia, I could not find a place that took the coins.

If you do have a foreign currency center near you, just take it all in and see what they say.  However, I have a feeling that you'll probably just end up with some paper to tape to your wall and some coins to put in a jar.  -Or something like that.

And anything that is "rejected" you can take to a numismatist to get an opinion from them.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #331 on: August 16, 2007, 05:57:38 PM »

Has anyone heard from DakotaCelt?  Not that it would solve the casting problem for Fred, but I am getting rather worried.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 05:58:04 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #332 on: August 16, 2007, 06:01:48 PM »

And how times change. When we met you thought Denny's was fine dining and I did all the home cooking.

And...as if we don't have enough cooking books (what with Woody snagging everything in sight) now I'm starting to pop things in the shopping cart - added at Atlantic Books yesterday:

Tradewinds and Coconuts: Reminiscence & Recipes from the Pacific Islands ...Classic Asian Cook Book ...I ended up with Sugar Pie and Jelly Roll: Sweets from a Southern Kitchen ...

der Brucer
Whoa, wait a second there!  I'm the one who picked up both the Classic Asian Cook Book and Tradewinds and Coconuts.  Plus The Olive and the Caper (on Greek cooking) and another on Asian Soups.  And since I'm the one whose charge card was used on purchasing same, plus two books for yourself...

Just for that, no avgolemono for you!  (At least, not for tonight  :-*)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #333 on: August 16, 2007, 06:02:02 PM »

And how times change. When we met you thought Denny's was fine dining and I did all the home cooking.

And...as if we don't have enough cooking books (what with Woody snagging everything in sight) now I'm starting to pop things in the shopping cart - added at Atlantic Books yesterday:

DRs DerBrucer and SWW - Do you have any of the cookbooks by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid?

"Flatbreads and Flavors"
"The Seductions of Rice"
"Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Journey Through Southeast Asia"
"Homebaking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Tradition Around the World"
"Mangoes and Curry Leaves: Culinary Travels Throughout the Great Subcontinent"

They are not only cooks, but also photographers, writers and world-travelers.  Their cookbooks are not only filled with fascinating and delicious recipes, but also with pictures and stories from their travels.  In fact, the last three books are almost "coffee table" quality.

And they have a really cool WEBSITE too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #334 on: August 16, 2007, 06:03:35 PM »

Hmmmm... Avgolemono soup.  Are you using rice or orzo?  (I hope you're using orzo.) ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #335 on: August 16, 2007, 06:04:20 PM »

Thanks for all the good vibes for my shoulder.  I actually slept for about two hours this afternoon before I rolled over on my left shoulder.  DAMN!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #336 on: August 16, 2007, 06:15:27 PM »

Jane - it was actually really easy to cast eighty percent of the show, and I couldn't be happier with said cast - it's just the husband and wife that's proved so difficult.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #337 on: August 16, 2007, 06:16:36 PM »

You know what is fascinating to me - given that Jerry Lewis was for many years one of the biggest money-making movie stars ever, that no one likes him or knows his films.  When I was a kid, we HAD to see every Martin and Lewis and then Lewis film - they were events.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #338 on: August 16, 2007, 06:25:24 PM »

If you don't think angels have a sex, then you didn't see John Phillip Law in BARBARELLA.
Or haven't heard about Broadway financeers.   :o
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #339 on: August 16, 2007, 06:25:32 PM »

You know what is fascinating to me - given that Jerry Lewis was for many years one of the biggest money-making movie stars ever, that no one likes him or knows his films.  When I was a kid, we HAD to see every Martin and Lewis and then Lewis film - they were events.

I know ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #340 on: August 16, 2007, 06:28:24 PM »

DRs DerBrucer and SWW - Do you have any of the cookbooks by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid?
And they have a really cool WEBSITE too.
Not yet.

Troublemaker!   ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #341 on: August 16, 2007, 06:30:40 PM »

Hmmmm... Avgolemono soup.  Are you using rice or orzo?  (I hope you're using orzo.) ;)
Tonight is steaks, corn and refried beans.  I'm taking it easy in the kitchen this time.

Friday, on the other hand, could involve avgolemono as a sauce for more leftover lamb.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #342 on: August 16, 2007, 06:33:10 PM »

Not yet.

Troublemaker!   ;)

Do either of you belong to THE GOOD COOK?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #343 on: August 16, 2007, 06:34:48 PM »

Has anyone heard from DakotaCelt?  Not that it would solve the casting problem for Fred, but I am getting rather worried.

I asked the other day & didn't get a response.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #344 on: August 16, 2007, 06:35:57 PM »

I think it has something to do with parenting.  When I was growing up, my mother would have absolutely nothing to do with Lewis.  She also deplored Sic Caesar.  She didn't appreciate their kind of humor, and took pains to make sure I didn't know who they were.  (I found out, of course, but never thought them important enough to use them for my rebelious stand against her tastes.)

(Then again, I was born and raised in Burbank.  Enough said.   ::))

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #345 on: August 16, 2007, 06:36:39 PM »

Do either of you belong to THE GOOD COOK?
Not yet.

And you really are a troublemaker!

(Just looked at the entry page... add to the savings the lack of sales tax in Delaware...  :o)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 06:38:25 PM by S. Woody White »

François

« Reply #346 on: August 16, 2007, 06:37:37 PM »

I'm sorry the sound quality is not there but that whole segment is so funny and moving!

http://www.mysillystuff.com/kennedycenter2003.html

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #347 on: August 16, 2007, 06:39:34 PM »

I've got to get dinner on the table.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #348 on: August 16, 2007, 06:42:30 PM »

I finally completed the last season of UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS, and what a great series! I just watched the last two episodes which were were quite emotional, and the overall series was a fantastic social history of London between 1900 and 1930.  Has there been any American tv series as complex and satisfying?

I also had a lovely phone call with the client from yesterday who should be seeing DR Jose in the near future, I suspect.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #349 on: August 16, 2007, 06:46:05 PM »

Not yet.

(Just looked at the entry page... add to the savings the lack of sales tax in Delaware...  :o)

And that End of the Year Sale - All Books $10.00 - really comes in handy too!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #350 on: August 16, 2007, 06:48:07 PM »

The  ENABLER[/i][/size]  Strikes Again!
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #351 on: August 16, 2007, 06:52:40 PM »

DR MattH, I saw today in one of the newspaper tv blurbs that the "big plot" on AS THE WORLD TURNS should really heat up tomorrow.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

François

« Reply #352 on: August 16, 2007, 06:53:24 PM »

Jane

« Reply #353 on: August 16, 2007, 06:56:14 PM »

I'm sorry the sound quality is not there but that whole segment is so funny and moving!

It was.  Thank you.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #354 on: August 16, 2007, 07:04:29 PM »

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #355 on: August 16, 2007, 07:07:45 PM »

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #356 on: August 16, 2007, 07:19:37 PM »

I gotta tell you.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #357 on: August 16, 2007, 07:21:14 PM »

I shall be heading out shortly to have a dinner work session (the best kind) with Mr. David Wechter.  I'll have to get a couple of things off my chest first re someone we've both worked with, and then we'll get down to brass tacks or, at the very least, aluminum tacks or maybe even aluminum siding.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #358 on: August 16, 2007, 07:21:34 PM »

Will we never get to page thirteen?

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #359 on: August 16, 2007, 07:23:22 PM »

Does it ever!