Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS  (Read 43089 times)

FJL

Re:JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS
« Reply #330 on: February 20, 2007, 08:58:03 PM »

Why do I remember something about Moto and a coffee pot?

FJL

« Reply #331 on: February 20, 2007, 08:58:15 PM »

And one for Moto

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #332 on: February 20, 2007, 08:59:23 PM »

Why do I remember something about Moto and a coffee pot?

"Java Jive"
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #333 on: February 20, 2007, 09:02:39 PM »

DerBrucer,

Bismarck, ND set a new snow angel record the other day....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

FJL

« Reply #334 on: February 20, 2007, 09:03:26 PM »

As in Java the Hut (would that be a good name for a coffee shop?)

FJL

« Reply #335 on: February 20, 2007, 09:07:03 PM »

Weren't Sidle, Huddle and Java Tevye's daughters?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #336 on: February 20, 2007, 09:10:06 PM »

As in Java the Hut (would that be a good name for a coffee shop?)

There used to be a coffee shop in Fargo called "Frisky Goat"

There is one in Moorhead called "Atomic Coffee"
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #337 on: February 20, 2007, 09:10:37 PM »

Belated Congrats to Adriana on reaching HHW Goddesshood!

MBarnum

« Reply #338 on: February 20, 2007, 09:21:33 PM »

Thanks MattH and RLP on the HDTV input.

My concern is that much of what I watch (ok, all of what I watch) is not HD and I don't want all of my favorite movies to look cruddy if I were to ever spring for a fancy television set.

Now plasma and HD are two different monsters, right? If I were to watch a regular, non HD DVD on a plasma tv would it look OK?

MBarnum

« Reply #339 on: February 20, 2007, 09:23:20 PM »

I spoke to Laurie Mitchell this evening and we have a date to meet at the next Ray Courts Celebrity show in Burbank which I think is in April. Woohoo!

I am alreayd deep in debt, so what the hay! You only live once!

BK, why don't you sign up for the April show and bring all of your celebrity friends! Sit next to Laurie and we will all have a party the live long day.

Maybe Earl Holliman will be there. that would be swell.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 09:25:14 PM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #340 on: February 20, 2007, 09:33:14 PM »

Well, I'll be darned...Ray Courts just today listed guests for the April show...and Kevin Spirtas is signed up...and Gigi Perreau! I can't wait to meet Gigi!

Hmmm....also Marcia Wallace and Seka...should be an interesting show.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #341 on: February 20, 2007, 09:35:03 PM »

My concern is that much of what I watch (ok, all of what I watch) is not HD and I don't want all of my favorite movies to look cruddy if I were to ever spring for a fancy television set.

Now plasma and HD are two different monsters, right? If I were to watch a regular, non HD DVD on a plasma tv would it look OK?

There are plasma TVs that are not HDTV (they're called EDTVs), but for the difference in cost, it's not worth it. Generally speaking, most plasma sets you see now are HDTVs.

Again, DVDs come in all types of quality, DR MBarnum. Most commercial DVDs are going to look anywhere from OK to stupendous on an HDTV. But just because it's DVD doesn't mean it looks good, even on a regular analog TV. Many public domain movies and TV shows that look adequate on a regular TV are going to look pretty bad on a digital set. But that's because the quality of the DVD is poor. The TV is simply showing what's really there, so the poor picture isn't the set's fault; it's the fault of shoddy DVD processing and manufacturing.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #342 on: February 20, 2007, 09:35:58 PM »

It is time to toddle off to the sleep chamber, so I just wanted to wind the cat and put out the clock.

And say a nightey-night to lovely H/Ks and DRs here.

Goodnight BK , with your studly and guapo punim....

Goodnight Lucy....... Gary never appreciated you!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #343 on: February 20, 2007, 09:40:30 PM »

Off to bed myself.

Good night!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #344 on: February 20, 2007, 09:50:25 PM »

I guess what I mean MattH, is that the DVD won't look worse on an HDTV then when I watch it on my regular tv.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #345 on: February 20, 2007, 10:28:17 PM »

I've been told that both Diana Darrin and Laurie Mitchell are possibles for our CD release partay on Friday.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #346 on: February 20, 2007, 10:28:54 PM »

Speaking of our CD release partay, perhaps the missing Miss Karen can talk some horse sense into her son - who simply MUST be at the partay.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #347 on: February 20, 2007, 10:30:27 PM »

I guess what I mean MattH, is that the DVD won't look worse on an HDTV then when I watch it on my regular tv.

"Yes!", your DVD can look WORSE on an HDTV if the DVD is of poor quality.  If it looks "archival" on your regular set, the movie's flaws are going to be amplified on an HDTV...not the HDTV's fault...but the poor quality of the DVD's fault.

DR MattH has occasionally commented on newly acquired DVDs in which he took exception to grain and dirt that he thought should have been eliminated.  I've gotten those same DVDs and seen none of those flaws on my 20-inch screen (old TV).  

I'm certain I'm going to see them now, though.

If the DVD is of good quality, it will improve when watched on an HDTV.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 10:41:29 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #348 on: February 20, 2007, 10:34:14 PM »

I watched "American Idol"...and I can tell you without any hesitation that it's absolutely the worst show I've ever seen in this series.

The men were -- save three -- uniformly bland, unmemorable and totally wrongheaded about their approaches and deliveries of songs that were -- for the MOST part -- bland and unmemorable in their original versions.

Of the three that were all right, only one stood out....the last singer...Chris Stacey.  He's the only male vocalist I would bet on to make it well into the competition.

My hopes for the women are very high -- Lakisha and Melinda (Dolittle) are my favorites.

Dreadful, dreadful show.  If you thought "Grease" was terrible this past Sunday, it was leagues better than tonight's "Idol."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #349 on: February 20, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »

It's time for me to hit the sack, too.  I've been developing a raw throat all night.  I've taken something and I need rest.

I don't want to be sick.  Sick is not good.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #350 on: February 20, 2007, 10:38:48 PM »

**And I have to say my saving grace is that each cookie is $3.50 - and well worth every penny - but they're definitely the type I would "casually" buy a dozen to take back to the apartment.  -Besides, that would be over five pounds(!) of cookies!

Did you mean to insert the word "not" between "definitely" and "the type"?

Somehow, I'm thinking you really WANT to "casually" buy a dozen -- of EACH -- to take back to your apartment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #351 on: February 20, 2007, 10:56:50 PM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?  Perhaps everyone is sleeping after having stayed up so late last night during our posting frenzy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #352 on: February 20, 2007, 10:58:24 PM »

Welcome five GUESTS.  Who are you people, as if we didn't know.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #353 on: February 20, 2007, 10:58:56 PM »

My goodness, I'm not that far from my next plateau of 25,000 postings.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #354 on: February 20, 2007, 10:59:10 PM »

Will we never get to page thirteen?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #355 on: February 20, 2007, 11:25:11 PM »

Does this help...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #356 on: February 20, 2007, 11:27:48 PM »

Contemplating some ideas for a new avatar..

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #357 on: February 21, 2007, 12:04:29 AM »

I rewatched SHOCK TO THE SYSTEM tonight before the start of IDOL. Enjoyed Chad Allen's performance very much, especially his recollection of his Army lover. Beautiful, sad moment.

The note of melancholy that runs through much of this film is strong. Yet, there are enough light-hearted moments to take the edge off the nasty side of things.

Really good show.

I just got "Shock To the System" in the mail today!  I also got the first ever English language recording of Kurt Weill's Happy End, as well as Scott Whitfield's "Speaking of Love (with special guest Cheryl Bentyne of The Manhattan Transfer...among others) and "Sweet Appreciation: Rusty Magee Live at the West Bank Cafe."
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #358 on: February 21, 2007, 12:06:09 AM »

We're still on page twelve?

Tomovoz

« Reply #359 on: February 21, 2007, 12:06:16 AM »

TOTD: DP Colin and I had planned to visit the visit the West Coast of the USA last year.   We decided to spend the extra and visit the New Yorkers and then cross Canada by train.  Extravagant, yes. Regretted, no way!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up