Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: HOW NOW, BROWN COW  (Read 26342 times)

Ben

Re:HOW NOW, BROWN COW
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2005, 05:59:48 AM »

And now let us move to Page 2

William E. Lurie

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2005, 06:09:09 AM »

It's back on...

Ms. Applegate has convinced the Weisslers not to cancel the SWEET CHARITY revisal so it is back on.  Ms. d'Amboise will start the previews but Ms. Applegate's doctor said she will be ready to go back into the show in time to be trounced by the critics.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2005, 06:27:29 AM »

well time to toddle off and call the doctor...I'll try to pop in again later
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2005, 06:34:17 AM »

It never fails. One day you've never heard of something, then once you have heard of it, it keeps popping up. I bought a 45 recently called "Summer of the 17th Doll" because I was intrigued by the title. Now Tomofoz mentions the book the title came from.

Jose- Lauren Mufson from your cast used to sing/work at Brandy's Piano Bar on the Upper East Side, back when I first moved to NYC. She's a talented lady. Later I saw her in an Advil commercial.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2005, 06:44:18 AM »

hiya! Okay, so I'm back among the living.

Strike wasn't all that difficult, but it takes it out of a little person of a certain age... my wonderful Tech Director managed the whole thing, we got everything loaded into a cargo van, and shlepped the stuff back to Bristol PA. on Monday, then shlepped said Tech Director out to JFK yesterday, then attended BMI workshop for the first time in weeks last night, where I sang a young composer's new song to the assembled. A lovely tune - watch for Johannes Gluek, folks! Impeccable pedigree - his grampa was Music Director of the Vienna Boys Choir for 30 years, mom a fairly famous accompanist/vocal coach in Vienna... Johannes became the youngest pupil at the Vienna Conservatory at the age of FOUR... anyhow, what a lovely song I had the privilege of warbling last night.

I'm slowly finishing up all the follow-up stuff on the show. Ah, for a production manager in my future who might attend to all this...

Again my deepest appreciation of all your good wishes and loving support of Jose and me, your presence in the audience, the astute critiques which will help make the show even better next time. And OH MY GOSH! the bookings are beginning to come in... quite a number of  inquiries, a few bites, and three offers in negotiations for next season. Can you spell SATISFACTION?

Once I've tied up loose ends here, had my conferences with assorted agent/management/booking types, and CASHED THE CHECK - I'm hustling back to LA. A lot of internal pressure to get "home" to the parents IN TIME.

A spectacularly lovely day here in NYC... what a Wonderful Town.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2005, 06:46:18 AM »

Mornin', Rodzinski!!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2005, 06:47:19 AM »

Hiya, Ben!!
PennyO

Ben

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2005, 06:48:02 AM »

Hi, Miss Penny. Congrats on your wonderful experience. I'm so glad I was part of it, if just in the audience.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2005, 07:31:41 AM »

It never fails. One day you've never heard of something, then once you have heard of it, it keeps popping up. I bought a 45 recently called "Summer of the 17th Doll" because I was intrigued by the title. Now Tomofoz mentions the book the title came from.

Jose- Lauren Mufson from your cast used to sing/work at Brandy's Piano Bar on the Upper East Side, back when I first moved to NYC. She's a talented lady. Later I saw her in an Advil commercial.

Why do I know Lauren Mufson's name?  Did she go to Stagedoor Manor, or NYU, or something similar?

In response to the question (I forget who posed it earlier) about a novel, novella, etc. that I would like to see turned into a musical:  "Paul's Case," which, as I recall, is by Willa Cather.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2005, 07:35:02 AM »

A choral music director named Don Smith gave me my first and only hickey. I don't think I've ever given one.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2005, 07:37:17 AM »

Mornin' Penny! Although you're gone :(
Mornin' Stuart and MattH!

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2005, 07:37:52 AM »

Anyone else think Paula Abdul was stoned out of her gourd last night? I know she's had legal problems recently, but to appear before 28 million people in an obviously inebriated state is disgraceful. And I fault the producers for allowing her to be on camera when she was obviously not in shape to appear.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2005, 07:38:49 AM »

Good morning, DR Rodzinski. Top o' the mornin' to ya. (a Lucky Charms reference).

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2005, 07:39:26 AM »

Not sure where Mufson went to school. She did a fine version of "Suddenly Seymour" up at Brandy's though.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2005, 07:40:23 AM »

They're always after me Lucky Charms!

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2005, 07:42:09 AM »

After two weeks of female contestants going home from IDOL, I fear tonight we will lose one of the men. Neither Anwar's nor Scott's numbers were busy ten minutes into the first hour (Jessica's wasn't either), and Scott's was very busy last week, so I think he did himself real harm last night with all that lousy falsetto trilling.

Only Nikko's number stayed busy for the first hour, so I'd guess (subject to West COast voting variances) he got the highest vote last night. Bo's number was less busy than Constantine's, but tis has been true for the last couple of weeks.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2005, 07:43:14 AM »

They're always after me Lucky Charms!

Well, they're magically delicious!

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2005, 07:46:38 AM »

And can I say that the music of the 1990s (which was last night's theme for IDOL) had the most forgettable music EVER. I knew I wasn't going to be familiar with many of the songs since I don't listen to the radio or buy any pop music on CD, but I didn't find a single song choice memorable for the song itself.

Conversely, when they did songs of the 1960s, even in some wretched performances, the tunes were memorable. What a contrast between the decades.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2005, 07:49:29 AM »

When you think music from the 90s, you think... uh, give me a minute...

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2005, 07:50:52 AM »

The wife of my best friend is coming by today to select a film for her girls' movie night on Friday. She wanted FINDING NEVERLAND, but I don't have that yet, so she's going to have to find something in my library, and I'm pulling stuff today to give her a choice. Among the things I've pulled for her to choose between (some old, some fairly new): THE TERMINAL, INTOLERABLE CRUELTY, THE BOURNE SUPREMACY, THE PERFECT STORM, AMERICA'S SWEETHEART, REAR WINDOW, A TOUCH OF CLASS, SILKWOOD.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2005, 07:51:39 AM »

When you think music from the 90s, you think... uh, give me a minute...

I knew the only music I'd know is if they did a movie tune like "Colors of the Wind." No one did.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2005, 08:05:14 AM »

Anyone else think Paula Abdul was stoned out of her gourd last night? I know she's had legal problems recently, but to appear before 28 million people in an obviously inebriated state is disgraceful. And I fault the producers for allowing her to be on camera when she was obviously not in shape to appear.

Oh!  Was that Paula?  I thought Whitney Houston was a guest judge last night.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2005, 08:09:30 AM »

AMAZING RACE TALK (not sure if DR MBarnum saw it yet).

OMG, it was so good!

Someone asked yesterday if I thought it would be a double elimination. I suspected it would not be (which it wasn't).  I actually really like how they did it.  Whenever they have a non-elimination, they should do it in 2 hours.

I was not impressed with rob and amber in the first episode. Going for the ff when they knew they were not in the front was stupid. And then not leaving right away was even dumber.  But they managed to catch up (with the shopping and the water in ep2).

I LOVED episode 2. So exciting. And i was so happy. What a fantastic ending!

Next week looks interesting. Seems like the couple who finished first will have a big blowout.

Interesting how they took away the grannies clothes. That was different.

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2005, 08:16:32 AM »

I think the bottom 3 will be anthony, scott and jessica.  Hopefully it will be scott going home.

Not happy that the judges are playing favorites. Nikko was voted out.  I hate that he got to come back. But I hate that the judges keep praising him so much, that now he won't be voted out anytime soon.

I think there is a chance anwar could be bottom 3.

Clearly Carrie and Constantine are safe.

I loved Cosntantine last night. And liked nadia.

Anwar, who was my favorite, is getting worse each week.  And bo wasn't as good last night.

I would like to get rid of scott, nikko, vonzell and jessica.  But the public is easily manipulated by Simon.

Ben

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2005, 08:23:17 AM »

Hooray, I was finally able to listen to the Radio Show. Well done on both sides. It reminded me how much I love both Promises, Promises and 1776. It was also great to hear the CD of Bus and Truck. I heard the songs at the NY reading but they are done by different people on the CD and it's a good listen.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2005, 08:45:56 AM »

I love this line:
I know I'm going to miss her - a tomato ate my sister

worthy of the master Stephen Sondheim with its internally rhyming

Sorry, but Mr. Sondheim would never resort to that sort of  false rhyme.  Miss her and sister don't rhyme.  Mister and sister rhyme.  Miss her and kiss her rhyme.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2005, 08:47:34 AM »

The Amazing Race - Four Stars last night. ****

My question for ASK BK day.  Are television episodes musically scored individually these days?  Or are they just spotted with music composed for different moods for the series - to be dropped in when needed?

I don't watch anything but Alias.  Alias does seem to be scored individually, at least to my ears.  And I know Grant Geissman who co-does the music for Two and a Half Men, always is doing new music for each episode.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2005, 08:51:03 AM »

WEL: I made a long post about Sweet Charity yesterday, when the news first broke.  See what happens...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2005, 09:00:37 AM »

That's the same observation I made about her last week on the night of the competition.  She was gooey and was all over Simon and being kissy...

She's totally using something.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2005, 09:02:49 AM »

I think the bottom 3 will be anthony, scott and jessica.  Hopefully it will be scott going home.

Not happy that the judges are playing favorites. Nikko was voted out.  I hate that he got to come back. But I hate that the judges keep praising him so much, that now he won't be voted out anytime soon.

I think there is a chance anwar could be bottom 3.

Clearly Carrie and Constantine are safe.

I loved Cosntantine last night. And liked nadia.

Anwar, who was my favorite, is getting worse each week.  And bo wasn't as good last night.

I would like to get rid of scott, nikko, vonzell and jessica.  But the public is easily manipulated by Simon.

Vonzell was VERY good last night. So was Jessica.

I agree about Scott and Nikko.  I cannot stand Anwar.

I think the audience knows its own mind....Simon couldn't save Jennifer or LaToya last time around.

And I'm really getting tired of his absurd putdowns of Anthony.  Anthony doesn't make good song choices, but he sings them very well.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up