Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ABOUT-TO-BE BEAUTIFUL SATURDAY  (Read 22470 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE ABOUT-TO-BE BEAUTIFUL SATURDAY
« on: April 01, 2005, 11:59:47 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've glommed the notes, the notes have glommed you, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home come Saturday morning.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 11:58:43 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE ABOUT-TO-BE BEAUTIFUL SATURDAY
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 12:02:32 AM »

And the word of the day is: FROUNCE!

Smoke on your pipe and put that in.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 12:23:02 AM »

FROUNCE!

Now that's a word!

Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 12:24:44 AM »

That is a ten-dollar word is what that is.

FROUNCE!  I ask you, where else on all the Internet can you find such a word?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 12:24:56 AM »

I'm sort of tired.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 12:25:18 AM »

Cartoons made expressly for TV...Hmm...

Rocky & Bullwinkle is the only that comes to my mind right now.

Would that Japanese anime series "Star Blazers" count?

I shall have to see what other DRs have to say, and take notes.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 12:27:35 AM »

well, I'm a bit tired too right now...  And since I went to bed at 4:00 last night... And then was awoken this morning at 9:15 by the front desk clerk.... And since I have a matinee in 11 and a half hours...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 12:29:06 AM »

OHH!!!

DR Rodzinksi - Lauren Mufson was very flattered that one of her fans had spoken fondly of her.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 12:34:44 AM »

Well, I suppose I shall toddle off to the bedroom environment.

BUTT - before I go, might I just say - FROUNCE!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 12:49:17 AM »

Cartoons made expressly for TV...Hmm...

Rocky & Bullwinkle is the only that comes to my mind right now.

Would that Japanese anime series "Star Blazers" count?

I shall have to see what other DRs have to say, and take notes.

Rocky & Bullwinkle is a little before my time ::) but I loved (and still love) Star Blazers.  And although I bought the entire series on DVD (with the original Japanese language track), I still haven't watched them all...the story of my life.

I also loved Futurama, and have bought that entire series.  That's all I can think of right now.  It's close to 1:00 a.m. and I must get to sleep.  Goodnight...whoever is here! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2005, 12:49:53 AM »

Goodnight, BK!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2005, 03:55:16 AM »

Rocky and Bullwinkle was very smart. I also loved Pinky and the Brain another cartoon not just for the kids.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2005, 04:07:06 AM »

Good morning, all!  It's quite gray and windy this morning in Manhattan.  I haven't heard any weather report, but it could be a messy day.

Last night, on Dear Friend BK's recommendation, I finally watched ON GUARD, a 1997 film by Phillipe de Broca, with the wonderful Daniel Auteuil, who was about 45-46 years young when he played this athletic role.  Great movie, and lots of fun, with stunning costumes and a cast that throws itself into the late 17th and early 18th centuries with much panache.  

Dear Friend BK, in your peregrinations into French DVD, look for LACENAIRE, with Mr Auteuil as early 19th Century thief Lacenaire, who was guillotined around 1840.  The American release was titled THE ELEGANT CRIMINAL, and I don't believe it's on DVD.  Lacenaire is also a character in the Carne film CHILDREN OF PARADISE, one of the great, great films.

TOD:  Rocky & Bullwinkle is my alltime favorite
         Tom Terrific

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2005, 05:38:00 AM »

Glad you like the cookies (but sorry I’ve forgotten you’ve been on a diet)  :-[ :P

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2005, 05:42:03 AM »

DR FRANCOIS; Thank you for your help and I, too, not only DR JANE, was most impressed with your Japanese language knowledge.  ;) ;D
And you mentioned “This Japanese seems way easy for French speaking people!” yesterday.  I wish Japanese was spelt/written in the Roman alphabets like as French and English. It’s must  be easier to learn.
By the way, I’ve ever imagined that Pomme meant an apple.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2005, 06:09:35 AM »

I think ROCKY & BULLWINKLE has no peer in the made-for-TV cartoon domain. I watched others as a kid, but nothing really compared to the wit and individuality of all those segments (including the fairy tales, Mr. Peabody, Dudley Do-Right).

But, to name a few more that I enjoyed as a kid: THE ALVIN SHOW was always a lot of fun, and it too had some fun segemnts in addition to the chipmunk adventures.

DEPUTY DAWG was always a fun time around my house. Since he was Southern, we Southern kids got a big kick out of imitating his drawl.

THE JETSONS and TOP CAT, both great Hanna Barbera creations made for prime time but sent to Saturdays when their evening runs were completed.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2005, 06:10:50 AM »

I had dinner out last night, too. We went to one of the Texas Roadhouse chain restaurants, and I had the steak and barbecued chicken platter. I ate too much, and awoke this morning with the meat sweats. (But it was certainly delicious.)

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2005, 06:13:20 AM »

And the biggest and best news is that I'm meeting a friend today for Chinese buffet! It's not the beloved buffet that I went to for years and years (and which is still closed to my dismay), but it will be the first Chinese food I've had in ages.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2005, 06:14:57 AM »

Since dinner took so long last night, I wasn't able to have a movie night with my friend John, and he'll be watching basketball tonight, so I'll be getting around to TOMBSTONE at some point today, I think.

I also have LAW & ORDER and NUMBERS on the DVR to watch at a convenient time today or tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2005, 06:15:42 AM »

"There's no one in the place, except you and me. . . ."

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2005, 06:22:14 AM »

Except you and me...

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2005, 06:24:58 AM »

Tonight I watched a movie “A Dog Of Flanders“ (with Jon Voight)on TV and I cryed much. And it recalled to me that everytime I’d watched its amine version - there had been TV anime series - from “The Dog Of Flanders” in 1975, my tears had had been falling fast every moment/every three minutes in it.  The ending is too sad as well. Is this story not well known in the US?

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2005, 06:34:50 AM »

I've never seen that version. The one I grew up with was the 1959 version with Donald Crisp. Yep, I used to cry my eyes out, but I haven't seen it in many decades.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 06:35:27 AM by Matt H. »

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2005, 07:31:27 AM »

Favorite TV cartoon series: Animaniacs:

(particularly when they do the movie/broadway show spoofs)

der Brucer

PS:

started off as a part of Animaniacs
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 07:54:50 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2005, 07:46:14 AM »

DR HISAKA - A Dog Of Flanders is a very SAD movie.  I am also familiar with the one that DR MATTH is talking about, starring Mr. Donald Crisp.

Saturday!

Rocky & Bullwinkle to be sure!  Another vote for the Jetsons!  Hmmmm...what else?  

I liked Space Angel (which was like Clutch Cargo), Quick Draw McGraw, and of course The Flintstones.

I always thought the two old guys on Rocky and Bullwinkle were hilarious.... "There's something you don't see everyday, Chauncey."  "What's that, Edgar?"
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2005, 07:46:47 AM »

Okay, off the open the theatre for the season and who knows HOW long that will take?  Whew!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2005, 08:11:38 AM »

For those of us who thought "Living Wills" were the answer to a "feeding tube" crisis - THINK AGAIN!

Andrew Sullivan wondered:

WHAT IF ...? Here's a question I can't get out of my head. What if Terri Schiavo had had a living will saying she wouldn't want a feeding tube to keep her alive for decades with no reasonable hope for recovery? Legally, of course, there'd be no issue. She'd get her chance to die in peace. But morally? The arguments of the proponents for keeping the feeding tube in indefinitely suggest that removing the tube is simply murder. If that is the case, then how can removing the tube ever be justified - even if she consented in advance? Murder is murder, right? Isn't a "living will" essentially a mandate for future assisted suicide? It seems to me that the logic of the absolutist pro-life advocates means that this should be forbidden too. They should logically support a law which forbids the murder of anyone, regardless of living wills. In a society that legally mandates the "culture of life," the individual's choice for death is irrelevant, no? Or am I missing something here?

He didn't have to wait long for his answer:

I MISSED THIS: My apologies but the Weekly Standard has already gone a long way toward answering my "What If?" question. In a subtle but ultimately very radical piece, Eric Cohen argues that the will of the vegetative person to be allowed to die, even if expressed in a living will or supported by all her family, is not the real issue here. People cannot be allowed to revoke life simply because it is theirs' to revoke:

"[T]he real lesson of the Schiavo case is not that we all need living wills; it is that our dignity does not reside in our will alone, and that it is foolish to believe that the competent person I am now can establish, in advance, how I should be cared for if I become incapacitated and incompetent. The real lesson is that we are not mere creatures of the will: We still possess dignity and rights even when our capacity to make free choices is gone; and we do not possess the right to demand that others treat us as less worthy of care than we really are ... [T]he autonomy regime, even at its best, is deeply inadequate. It is based on a failure to recognize that the human condition involves both giving and needing care, and not always being morally free to decide our own fate."

So if we reject the "autonomy regime," what replaces it? The moral obligation to keep even people in PVS in permanent medical care, regardless of her own wishes or that of the family. But Cohen is somewhat vague on how this new regime can be imposed. The only possibility, it seems to me, is that the law state emphatically that living wills are not dispositive, that family wishes are not relevant, and that the law set a series of medical or moral criteria to determine whether to keep someone alive indefinitely. Doctors and families would be obliged to obey such laws. The state would be obliged to enforce them - through the police power if necessary. What if the family could not afford the care? Presumably the state would be required to provide it.

So let us be plain: the theoconservative vision would remove the right of individuals to decide their own fate in such cases, and would exclude the family from such a decision as well. Indeed, the law might even compel the family to provide care as long as they were capable of doing so. My "what if?" is a real one. And the theocon right has answered it. They want an end to the "autonomy regime." They have gone from saying that a pregnant mother has no autonomy over her own body because another human being is involved to saying that a person has no ultimate autonomy over her own body at all. These are the stakes. The very foundation of modern freedom - autonomy over one's own physical body - is now under attack. And if a theocon government won't allow you control over your own body, what else do you have left?

Scary, ain't it!

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2005, 08:17:11 AM »

Today I am taking DR Sandra and my friend's 9-year-old boy to see Guys and Dolls at the local dinner theater. Exciting, huh?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2005, 08:17:17 AM »

I loved the FLINTSTONES... HUCKLEBERRY HOUND.... HASHIMOTO ... THE WACKY RACES... :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2005, 08:43:13 AM »

George, George, George of the Jungle,
Strong as he can be...
Aaaaeeeeaaaaeeeaaaeeeeaaaaahhhhhhhh!
Watch out for that tree!

(Not to forget his two companion series on the show, Tom Slick and Superchicken!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up