Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ABOUT-TO-BE BEAUTIFUL SATURDAY  (Read 22469 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:THE ABOUT-TO-BE BEAUTIFUL SATURDAY
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2005, 10:44:13 AM »

I had dinner out last night, too. We went to one of the Texas Roadhouse chain restaurants, and I had the steak and barbecued chicken platter. I ate too much, and awoke this morning with the meat sweats.

Oh, how long has it been?

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2005, 10:44:18 AM »

Obviously, the best cartoon series were Jay Ward's ROCKY & BULLWINKLE and GEORGE OF THE JUNGLE and all their various permutations and repertoire of characters within those shows.  I used to have a T-shirt bought at the Dudley Do-Right Emporium on Sunset Blvd. with the slogan from Super-Chicken, "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred!"  I also remember fondly, Crusader Rabbit, Beany & Cecil,  & Tom Terrific (and his dog, Mighty Manfred).  There was nothing better than the Bugs Bunny show, but it was, of course, recycled movie cartoons...not ones made specially for TV.

Of the newer breed, The Simpson is consistently brilliant and SOUTH PARK is the most hysterically funny,dead-on, incisive satire on TV...and timely, this past week they were doing a satire on the whole right-to-die thing and bringing up the question that no one bother to bring up during the Shivao incident...If the question of life and death is in God's hands, then aren't tubes and machines keeping a person alive artificially that God wants dead.   If an animal in the wild can't feed itself, it dies.  Nature's way.   So instead of erring on the side of life; shouldn't we be erring on the side of nature and letting it take its course?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2005, 10:53:28 AM »

Without a doubt, ROCKY & BULLWINKLE was the greatest television cartoon series of my youth.  When I told my classmates that I had met Edward Everett Horton, they all said, "Who?"  However, when I said that I had met the narrator of FRACTURED FAIRY TALES; my classmates were in total awe.

As for modern television cartoons, SOUTH PARK and THE SIMPSONS can't be beat.
“One thing’s universal,

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2005, 10:53:57 AM »

Yes, why have doctors at all!

ROGER RAMJET, yes! TOP CAT, yes! Does anyone remember the HERCULOIDS? MAGILLA GORILLA and friends was a pretty good omnibus.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2005, 10:56:41 AM »

The SIMPSONS has kept a pretty unbelievable standard of quality. Another newer one I enjoy is AQUA TEEN HUNGERFORCE, which is just so darn weird.

Today it seems like it will turn out to be, feels like it will undoubtedly, looks like a rather blustery day here in NYC.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2005, 10:57:22 AM »

While most of the cartoons from Termite Terrace (aka the Warner Bros. collection) were originally released to theaters, when the Road Runner had an eponymous show they quickly had to generate more cartoons featuring the wily bird and Wile E. Coyote.  After all, Chuck Jones only directed thirteen of the originals.

The new cartoons were produced by DePattie/Freeling, the crew behind the Pink Panther shorts.  Sadly, the quality was never up to the level of the originals by Jones.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2005, 10:59:11 AM »

Vixmom and others-
You will be glad to know that those "Stella Awards" are an internet hoax that has been circulating for years. I just found this out recently.
http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/lawsuits.html

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2005, 11:08:38 AM »

The Winnebago suit actually happened, though.  However, the driver was a man, not a woman.  Betsy is Executive Director of Oregon Women Lawyers and one her Board members knows one of the Winnebago attorneys who handled the suit.  The judgment, IIRC, was not as large as the Stella article says it was.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2005, 11:13:37 AM »

The Winnebago suit actually happened, though.  However, the driver was a man, not a woman.  Betsy is Executive Director of Oregon Women Lawyers and one her Board members knows one of the Winnebago attorneys who handled the suit.  The judgment, IIRC, was not as large as the Stella article says it was.

Not according to www.snopes.com.  They say that there is no truth whatsoever to that story.
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2005, 11:27:23 AM »

So Snopes can be inaccurate?

Geez, and I thought that sort of stuff just happened at IMDB.   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JMK

« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2005, 11:36:40 AM »

Well, all I know is what my DS told me.  She's at services now with the kids (I am off the hook because I'm sick  ;)), but I'll ask her again when she gets home.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2005, 11:40:16 AM »

I loved Rocky and Bullwinkle - still do. Had Moose stuff all over my house. Still have some of it. Oh, Moose and Squirrel!!

Anyhoo - changed my flight back to LA from Apr. 20 to Apr. 13. I feel such a push to get back there.

Major nastiness with one of the (you should forgive the expression) "press rep's" nitwits yesterday, regarding the misinformation that had me scurrying all over Manhattan for more than 3 hours, trying to locate a copy of The Westsider... well, it WAS April Fool's Day... PS - still don't have a copy.

It's raining. Makes me achey and kinda sad. Working all weekend on a song I'm presenting at BMI workshop on Monday afternoon. Three days in hell about it, then a slight breakthrough this morning. Oh, for the felicitous facility of our dear BK...

Okay - so if anyone found a copy of The Westsider, I'd pay handsomely for it!

Elmore- busy for dinner tonight??
PennyO

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2005, 11:45:56 AM »

Well, all I know is what my DS told me.  She's at services now with the kids (I am off the hook because I'm sick  ;)), but I'll ask her again when she gets home.

Sorry, I didn't mean for my answer to sound like that, JMK.  What I should have said was that if you (or your DS) can provide the name of the attorney, or any other information; you should contact Snopes. They would be delighted to prove that it this story is true.
“One thing’s universal,

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2005, 11:49:48 AM »

Hahahahahahahaaaa! I just looked back at yesterday's posts - Der Brucer's suggestion for the next phase of Find The Westsider News made me laugh out loud. By last night, I WAS actually going through the garbage cans of this apartment building, floor by floor (but only this floor and the ones immediately above and below... easier to duck back into my apartment if I stayed real close.).

Oy. (Said with a heaving sigh, and collapsing forward into the keyboard...)
PennyO

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2005, 12:03:50 PM »

Elmore Keith was laughing at us both for thinking the movie was frightening.  We all agree it was funny. :D ;D

Jane

« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2005, 12:06:05 PM »

Hisaka I haven’t seen either version of A DOG OF FLANDERS.  Do you prefer the 1975 animi film or the 1999 one you just watched?  If the dog or the boy dies I don’t want to see this film so please send me a private email if it is safe for me to watch the movie.

Matt H I couldn’t find a DVD for the Donald Crisp movie which I might have seen when it came out.

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2005, 12:16:24 PM »

Well I got my little bean bunny from Walmart!  The funny thing is I bought the one I thought I had liked. And then realized it was a different one I had wanted. So i got them both!  I now own 2 beanie bunnies (and only $1 each)!

And I had another "fight" with someone at the jewelry department of my favorite store (I really don't try to have these fights). :)

They were giving $10gift cards at 8am today. And when I went upstairs a different employee handed me another one (well he asked if i had gotten one already and i sort of shook my head).  

Well when I went to use the giftcard (at a different mall, same department store) the guy said i could only use one (they had to be used today).  I asked for the manager, the manger refused.

Anyhow so that guy cancels my order and i go to buy it at the main service counter.  Well when the woman tries to put in my giftcard it won't work (i tell her i had a fight with the guy at jewelry and that he had entered it but then cancelled it).

Okay here is the best part. So her manager comes and gets me a new card. AND LETS ME USE THEM BOTH TOGETHER for my one purchase (what i had been told i could not do). And I hadn't even asked him. I was just gonna use the one and leave.

So yeah for me. And boo for jewelry store mean guy! :)

Jane

« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2005, 12:17:31 PM »

Vixmom I’m reading the first 5th place tie and thinking it can’t get worse than that.  Yep, the 1st place winner deserves it.  These really are disturbing, especially the one with the dog.  Even if he won the case that man should have been arrested for harming the dog.

When we lived in Michigan I wanted the contractor (this was the house we dubbed “The Money Pit”) to put in a double bolt on the front door.  He said he couldn’t legally do it and if a burglar was trapped in our house we would be liable for injuries.

Tomovoz

« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2005, 12:29:31 PM »

"Rocky and Bullwinkle" were my favourites by far. I enjoyed "The Flintstones" and I watched "South Park" for the first few series.
"Wallace and Grommit" is excellent.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JMK

« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2005, 01:11:25 PM »

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.  The DS has returned and has set me straight (not an unusual occurrence).  The Winnebago story was relayed to her at her previous job, not the Oregon Women Lawyers one, and so it is indeed most likely apocryphal.  I now humbly repent and am off to say a rosary or two.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2005, 01:15:13 PM »

Matt H I couldn’t find a DVD for the Donald Crisp movie which I might have seen when it came out.

To my knowledge, it's not available on DVD, at least not a Region 1 DVD. It was released on tape once, but I don't have that either.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2005, 01:16:48 PM »

I'm back from my motor car adventures, and shall now eat a spot of luncheon.

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2005, 01:18:05 PM »

We've had a crazy weather day. CLoudy this morning, sunny and warm around 11 or so. They, the sky opened up while I was at lunch, and it rained for about two hours, and got very, very cold. Now, the sun is peeping back out again, but it's still blustery and unpleasant outside.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2005, 01:19:04 PM »

No one has yet mentioned The Point.

I remember the first telecast, with Dustin Hoffman narrating.  What was up with the narration changing from telecast to telecast?

I have the DVD with Ringo Starr narrating.  Who else has done it??  I also downloaded (a couple of years ago) the original (I guess) recording done by Harry Nilsson himself.  It's a little shorter (and I think better) than the Ringo Starr version.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2005, 01:19:51 PM »

And we have daylight savings time to look forward to tomorrow! When I was working, this was the hardest week of the year - trying to adjust to losing that hour, and it would take days for my body to adjust.

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2005, 01:21:05 PM »

I've put in TOMBSTONE to watch tonight. Watched that LAW & ORDER from WEdnesday night when I got back in from lunch and shopping today.

Jed

« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2005, 01:34:34 PM »

And we have daylight savings time to look forward to tomorrow! When I was working, this was the hardest week of the year - trying to adjust to losing that hour, and it would take days for my body to adjust.

I've never understood the problem many people seem to have with this.  I know many do, though.  For me, it's just a single hour, and really doesn't phase me in the slightest.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2005, 01:37:03 PM »

Doesn't bother me now. When I was working and had to get up long before sun up to get ready to go to work, it was another hour of darkness after being used to being able to drive to work in the light. Then, for another month, it was back to driving in darkness again, and my body just had major adjustment problems. Can't explain why it did, but it did.

Jane

« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2005, 01:37:40 PM »

Ginny, NE Halsey St. is indeed in Portland, but there's no Simpsons character by that name (that I can think of, anyway).  I used to live over by Halsey on NE Thompson St. in the Lloyd District

Surnames on the Simpsons that are streetnames (not an exhaustive list, just what's coming to me now):
Simpson
Flanders
Terwilliger
Hibbert
Skinner

If someone posts a list of other surnames I can tell you if they're streetnames.

You left out the street Bryan lives on, Lovejoy.

Where is the Lloyd District?

Jane

« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2005, 01:41:57 PM »

Danise I’m impressed with your big savings. ;D

As for sharing a room….I will be on West Coast time and up until all hours.  Plus I will spend an amazing amount of time on the phone with Keith and arranging plans to see my friends & relatives in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Brooklyn and NY.  I’m sure I would not make a good roommate.  :-\

Ginny has the right idea, a suite where I could have my own room and not disturb anyone.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up