Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TIME WARP  (Read 19965 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:TIME WARP
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2005, 11:20:23 AM »

Well, perhaps I'll get in my motor car.  Perhaps when I return there might actually be some more postings.  If there are not then you will hear me say quite vociferously - POPPYCOCK.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2005, 11:43:53 AM »

Thirty posts?  At 11:40 10:40 11:40 a.m.?  Well, gosh darn, this time warp has really affected us.

Ah, now I see part of the problem.  I am the only one at this here site.  That explains a lot.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2005, 11:51:59 AM »

I realize that this is not Ask BK Day.  However, since it is Free-For-All Day here at HHW, I guess I can make part of my free-for-all be a question to BK.  Why is it (an Andy Rooney reference) that you never go out to dine with Guy Haines?  Last night, you were craving a salad with ranch dressing and croutons.  Why didn't Mr. Haines offer to accompany you to Marie Callander's?  Obviously, he must be in town, if you are going to start recording in the next week or so.  Would it have really bothered him that much to take an hour or two out of his evening to go out with his producer for a salad?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2005, 11:53:05 AM »

Bravo, Michael Shayne!  Your tribute to elmore is great, and very well-deserved.
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2005, 12:10:13 PM »

Peter, Paul & Mary liked the Lemon Tree as well!

DRJOSE there is a big ad in today's paper for MAMMA MIA! and they forgot to put your name on it!  There goes all those tickets!

Yes, I am enjoying my NOT springing forward.  Yes to rest of the nation we here in Indiana say POPPYCOCK.  Change your times if you will - spring forward so to speak.  We will stay exactly where we are and enjoy every minute of it - which you cannot because you LOST 60 minutes of today!

DR RODZINSKI wrote about it yesterday.  There is a move in the Indiana legislature to put us on DST - but you would think it was MAJOR piece of legislation.  Hours - nay DAYS - are spent in each session arguing about it.  Then some little political hack trying to get his name in the paper, tacks it on to the bottom of another bill that has already passed the house....and the argument is on again.  MANY MANY MANY useful bills have died in the Senate because DST was tacked onto it.

Ladies and gentlemen, Indiana has the WORST state legislature in the nation.  It is sad, but it is true.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2005, 12:28:51 PM »

Yup - she could do it all!   ;D

Happy Birthday, Miss Doris Day!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2005, 12:45:58 PM »

Well, perhaps I'll get in my motor car.  Perhaps when I return there might actually be some more postings.  If there are not then you will hear me say quite vociferously - POPPYCOCK.

I have been at church all morning, which was quite filled with news.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2005, 12:47:28 PM »

...There are two Larry Moores in the arranging field, I've discovered.  I don't know the other L Moore or where he lives.  I'm sure he occasionally gets a credit for something I've done and thinks, Did I do that?  From my limited sleuthing, I think he's in educational music...
Educational?  As opposed to popular?

(That's an AI reference, I think.   ::))
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2005, 12:50:56 PM »

And the word of the day is: POPPYCOCK!
I'm very sure we've had Poppycock as a word of the day before.  It means soft dung, coming from the Dutch.

Maybe this is how they get the tulips to flourish.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2005, 01:00:05 PM »

Yes, I am not happy that they take an hour away from my weekend, darn it! Take it from a weekday, but leave my precious weekends alone!!! :-[

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2005, 01:00:12 PM »

DR Elmoore, did you see my question last night?

Yes, DR Danise! I did see your question.  I haven't sat down to play the song yet, so I'm not ready to make a pronouncement.  It seems awfully short, though, I must say!

I'm back from a lovely brunch with DR Rodzinski and the beautiful Antonia.  We had a nice meal at what used to be called Miss Elle's on 79th Street.  Rodzinski and I had the omelette filled with cheese, bacon and mushroom with a side order of sausage, and Antonia had pasta with sausage.  Also festive mimosas.  Then we went to Beard Papa's for cream puffs.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2005, 01:01:21 PM »

I have been at church all morning, which was quite filled with news.

And pews.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2005, 01:01:22 PM »

BK, are you doing the Festival of Books again this year?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2005, 01:14:12 PM »

I realize that this is not Ask BK Day.  However, since it is Free-For-All Day here at HHW, I guess I can make part of my free-for-all be a question to BK.  Why is it (an Andy Rooney reference) that you never go out to dine with Guy Haines?  Last night, you were craving a salad with ranch dressing and croutons.  Why didn't Mr. Haines offer to accompany you to Marie Callander's?  Obviously, he must be in town, if you are going to start recording in the next week or so.  Would it have really bothered him that much to take an hour or two out of his evening to go out with his producer for a salad?
Come now, DR TCB, I thought everyone knew!  Ever since that nasty business with a certain Mr. Bruno Anthony, Mr. Haines has had a phobia about dining with others.  It started innocently enough, where he didn't like to dine on a train, but it grew to not wanting to dine with strangers, either on or off of trains, and now has progressed to the point where he cannot bear to eat with anyone else in the room.  A number of us have become quite concerned, but the only psychiatrist Mr. Haines trusts enough to help him is currently working full-time with a female kleptomaniac who has an intense fear of the color red, and his schedule simply doesn't allow adding to his case load.  

;)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2005, 01:16:22 PM »

I got the grass mowed, but it was a major pain. After months of not having to do it, one gets out of the habit of doing it. I have an electric mower due to the relatively small front yard I have, and keeping the cord out of the way of getting run over requires a certain pattern to be followed. Every year, it takes me a few times to get the apttern reestablished in my head.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2005, 01:18:53 PM »

Yup - she could do it all!   ;D

Happy Birthday, Miss Doris Day!

What a fabulous picture of Miss Day! Terrific! Thanks, DR JRand.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2005, 01:20:06 PM »

Does anyone out there have a good recipe for flying squirrel?

Sort of tying in, today is National Chocolate Mousse Day.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2005, 01:20:36 PM »

KING OF KINGS is one of THE great epics. Absolutely loved it, was moved all over again by it, and was awed by the tremendous DVD transfer it has been given. They don't get much better than this.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2005, 01:22:06 PM »

I think for a change of pace, I'll watch BELLS ARE RINGING later today. Looking forward to seeing it after all those years of the faded, scrappy looking laserdisc.

Danise

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2005, 01:23:32 PM »

Beard Papa's--I would say is a "MUST" for the next trip.

I won the lotto! I Won the Lotto!  I WON THE LOTTO!!!

Well, ok, I only got three numbers but I WON! Woo Hoo!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2005, 01:28:56 PM »

Yes, DR Danise! I did see your question.  I haven't sat down to play the song yet, so I'm not ready to make a pronouncement.  It seems awfully short, though, I must say!

It's the Phantoms unfinished manuscript so that's why it's so short.  But I really like it.  I only wanted to know what the words were to it because I had a whole different idea as to what they were.

Of course, I do tend to miss a word here and there from time to time and make up my own.

For years I thought the Miss America song said--"Look at her she's a DILL"  Instead of "Ideal".   ::)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2005, 01:34:50 PM »

We're watching a candy show right now.  They've got some really neat stuff.  Bubble candy?  Hair candy?  Thumb pop?  Eatable crayons and paint?  Cool!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2005, 01:48:57 PM »

I think it's wonderful that DR Danise is planning to grow a lemon tree.  My grandfather had four or five trees in his back yard, producing bagfulls of lemons every year (although to say that we had lemons coming out of our ears isn't quite accurate, and provokes a silly visual in my opinion).

Be prepared to buy lemons for a few years after planting your tree, Danise.  It takes a while for the tree to mature enough to give fruit.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2005, 01:49:28 PM »

I'm back from my travels in the motor car.

They contacted me about doing the Festival of Books weeks ago, I said I'd probably be interested (if it didn't conflict with the Courts show), and I haven't heard a peep since.

Danise

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2005, 01:57:22 PM »

I think it's wonderful that DR Danise is planning to grow a lemon tree.  My grandfather had four or five trees in his back yard, producing bagfulls of lemons every year (although to say that we had lemons coming out of our ears isn't quite accurate, and provokes a silly visual in my opinion).

Be prepared to buy lemons for a few years after planting your tree, Danise.  It takes a while for the tree to mature enough to give fruit.

I was looking at some dwarf trees on line and I think that is what I'm going to go with.  I don't want something that is going to get out of hand.  That's what happened with the Japanese Plum Tree that I had to cut down.  

I still feel bad about doing that but when it snapped off, I had no choice.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2005, 02:00:35 PM »

Lemon tree very pretty.  Trini Lopez said so.

Years ago Gen. William Westmoreland and his wife Kitzi (no joke) came to SLC to present my father with some military award.  They had just come from Bob and Dolores Hope's home and they brought a bushel of the Hopes' lemons which they gave to my parents.  I had someone take a picture of me holding some of these lemons and then sent out cards with the picture and part of the leadsheet to "Lemon Tree" underneath.  I personally thought it tres amusant, unfortunately no one else did.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2005, 02:14:50 PM »

I do not dine with Mr. Haines because Mr. Haines is anti-social.  He's a couch potato.  Or, he's off playing tennis.

Has Ann caught up?  It's been about two days.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2005, 02:23:47 PM »

It was hard to choose a single photo of Doris Day, DRMATTH - but I thought that one was little seen and captured something of her own personal charm rather than a movie still!

MR BK - I guess I am assuming you have met Doris.  Could you tell us about your first meeting her and what your impressions were and if she said anything interesting or amusing?

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2005, 02:27:59 PM »

Re:  church pews/news.  You beat me to the punch, Larry--the same joke occurred to me!!

Many years ago, pre-Caller ID, we used to make prank phone calls at a job I had.  Some of our favorites were made to 800 numbers.  I called a Pew Manufacturer (there are such things) in central Washington as I recall and identified myself as Father Weinstein of St. Judas in the Valley (I like giving them clues--unfortunately this guy had none).  Anyway, I think I called him on a Thursday and I told him vandals had broken into our church and stolen all our pews and could he have a set of 50 ready by Sunday for us?  :)

Another of my favorites, though a bit on the macabre side.  I found a bunch of mortuary listings in the 800 directory and called and pretended to be a salesman for Carbobalm, the "new carbonated embalming fluid."  I had my office mates in hysterics as I told these people we could give them free samples.  One of the mortuary people asked me, quite seriously, what good carbonated embalming fluid was?  Without missing a beat I said, "Oh, it gives the departed a nice, perky look.  You'll be amazed."

We also called Otis elevator and told them we had a really huge Ranch style house and could they put in an elevator that went sideways.  They said they couldn't do that, but they could put in a moving walkway or escalator.  "Oh, that won't do," I said.  "I have agoraphobia."
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2005, 02:28:50 PM »

I met Miss Day once - when we were shooting the pilot that was a spinoff from her show.  There were two versions of the pilot - one without her, and one with her.  The pilot was produced by her production company.  She visited the set one day.  She was introduced to all of us and I remember thinking how pretty she still was, and how sweet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up