Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: OUT ON A LIMB  (Read 21434 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:OUT ON A LIMB
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2005, 07:40:10 AM »

DR TCB: To answer your question from last night, no, I didn't see Paula on THE TONIGHT SHOW. Was she in better shape than she's been on IDOL the last two weeks? I understand they showed clips of her and Simon kissing. Sheesh!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2005, 08:04:08 AM »

VIBES FOR JIM!
VIBES FOR JIM!
VIBES FOR JIM!
VIBES FOR JIM!
VIBES FOR JIM!

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2005, 08:09:37 AM »

Great news for fans of THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW. After years of delay, Fox is releasing the second season of the show on DVD slated for July 12th.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2005, 08:20:24 AM »

For those of you who emailed me yesterday (and you know who you are) about helping me clean out my closets (i.e., free CDs :) ):   I won't be able to mail stuff until next week.  I need to buy new CDRs for the "bonus" CD I mentioned, plus I noticed the master for the bonus has a weird digital quirk that I need to resolve with my engineer on Saturday.  If anyone else wants these (see yesterday's notes for details), email me.  I still have a stack I am happy to get out of my house.  :)

jmkauffman@aol.com
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2005, 08:37:00 AM »

Can any of our cooking experts tell me how long to cook a beef roast and at what temp?  My mom mentioned 1/2 hr per lb. Does that sound about right?  I'm in the process of seeing what I can find online.  

JMK

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2005, 08:47:26 AM »

P.S.  A couple people asked for more info on Suzi and John, who are on my CD(s).  I've joked for many years that I'm the least famous person on the project.  :)

Suzi Stern is one of the most accomplished singers in any genre of her generation.  She has tons of recording credits, but is probably best known in the jazz world for her work with Denny Zeitlin.  Suzi wrote the lyric for Denny's standard Quiet Now, which has been recorded by many a person.  Her voice is not to be believed--I have worked with scores (pun maybe intended) of incredible vocalists in my career, but Suzi has the next to impossible to find combination of flawless technique coupled with amazing heart and soul.

John Stowell is probably one of the two or three most respected jazz guitarists of the last 50 years or so.  I'm sure BK's close personal friend Grant Geissman either knows John or has heard of him.  John is frequently called his generation's Jim Hall (in fact, I believe Jim himself called him that, LOL).  John first became famous for his many duet albums with bassist David Friesen (Dyan Cannon's brother).  Dave and John won many-a Downbeat critics poll.  John later was part of the group that Paul Horn took to Russia--they were the first western jazz group to play behind the Iron Curtain, back in the days when it was still detente.  :)  John has, like Suzi, recorded with so many people it's hard to list them all:  Lionel Hampton, Claudio Roditi, Dom um Romao, on and on.  John is famous among guitar players for the unusual way he holds his guitar when he plays:  he holds it vertically, so that the neck is pointing more or less straight up.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2005, 08:50:03 AM »

JR, have you seen the news that Betsy Palmer is returning to Indiana to do Love Letters with the guy she starred in all her high school productions with?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2005, 08:57:54 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Most excellent vibes and xylophones for Angel Jim.

WFO: Of course, it's not the REAL McGuire Sisters, it's a nightmare McGuire sisters - credited as The Nightmare Trio in the booklet, if memory serves, and comprised of Tammi Tappan, Juliana A. Hansen, and Eydie Allison.

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2005, 09:05:09 AM »

Btw, has anyone tried cooking a roast with cola to baste it?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2005, 09:08:49 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~ Health Vibes to Elmore!! ~~~[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~ Best Vibes to Angel Jim!! ~~~[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2005, 09:22:22 AM »

I heard about people basting meat with cola, but I don't think I've ever actually eaten it. I'm sure it would be fine.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2005, 09:27:36 AM »

WFO, it IS the McGuire Sisters as opposed to the MacGuire Sisters.  BK, you have them billed as the Hidden Trio at least one place in the booklet.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2005, 09:30:23 AM »

Good Morning!

Now that's what I call a good sleep!  Whew!

I kept trying to figure our why I was just sooooo tired last night - regardless of the time-change - or non-time change here in Indianapolis.  Well, once I got up today about half and hour ago, I remembered that I had not really slept that much the night before since I was packing - and my mind was racing a bit too - so...  Sleep is good.

I'm having a "brunch" of my Maggiano's salad and bread.  Yummy!
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2005, 09:33:01 AM »

DR Jennifer: DR Danise posted her recipe for roast beef, which I've made several times. DR Jose would tell you to put a meat thermometer in it to tell you when it is done. I add a couple of cubes of beef bullion to the mix and cook it on top of the stove. Here's Danise's recipe:
Beef Roast

1 small beef roast (any kind)
1 small can cream of mushroom soup
1 can Coke Cola
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, sliced into slivers
1 can mushrooms (whole or sliced)
Salt & pepper to taste

Cut garlic into slivers and using a knife, put them in different parts of the beef roast.  Salt and pepper the beef roast to your taste.

Put roast into pan or roaster.

Slice onion and put over the roast.

Open the can of mushrooms and pour out the juice.  Put mushrooms over the roast.

In mixing bowl mix the can of mushroom soup and can of coke.  Pour mixture over the beef roast.

Bake/roast 350 degrees until done.

If using a larger roast, you can double everything.  Another trick I use is to peel 2 white potatoes and put them in the side of the roasting pan so they cook in the gravy.  

I don?t list a type of beef roast because I?ve used this on all kinds and it always turns out GREAT!  The meat is always tender.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2005, 09:34:55 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Most excellent vibes and xylophones for Angel Jim.

WFO: Of course, it's not the REAL McGuire Sisters, it's a nightmare McGuire sisters - credited as The Nightmare Trio in the booklet, if memory serves, and comprised of Tammi Tappan, Juliana A. Hansen, and Eydie Allison.

That's it!  Just shatter all my innocent naïve illusions!

I guess I'm just too too gullible.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2005, 09:36:19 AM »

DR Jennifer - Depending on the cut of meat you'll be roasting, if you have the stove top space - and don't mind a little smoke in your kitchen - if you can brown/sear your roast before putting it in the oven that will help add some wonderful flavor to the finished product.

Didn't DR Danise post her recipe for a cola-basted pot roast once?
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2005, 09:37:31 AM »

The Hidden Trio, that's right!

I just got notification that my shipment of Hong Kong musicals has arrived!  That is why we love ordering from hkflix.com.  I asked for three day shipping (nine bucks for all the discs I ordered), and they were shipped yesterday via Fed Ex and arrived this morning.  I'll be picking them up later.  Even though I placed two separate orders, I'm pretty certain they shipped all the discs at once.  There should be six DVDs waiting for me (the seventh, Mambo Girl, was out of stock and will be shipped when it arrives in one or two weeks).  What fun.  I should also have at least two amazon packages from the UK which really should have been here yesterday (they shipped three items on the same day, only one of which arrived yesterday).  Digits crossed on those arrivals, because they're cherce.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2005, 09:38:58 AM »

OOhh.... Spooky DR Laura!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2005, 09:41:54 AM »

I got CLOSER in the mail today.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2005, 09:45:57 AM »

!!!VIBES FOR ANGEL JIM!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2005, 09:47:15 AM »

JR, have you seen the news that Betsy Palmer is returning to Indiana to do Love Letters with the guy she starred in all her high school productions with?
From the IMBD:
Was asked to reprise her role of Mrs. Pamela Voorhees in Freddy vs. Jason, but turned it down due to the low offered salary.

Stated that if it wasn't for the fact that she was in desperate need of a new car, that she never would have played the role of Pamela Voorhies in "Friday the 13th." In fact after she read the script she called the film, "A piece of sh*t! *"

Salary
Friday the 13th (1980) $10,000

* Edited for this here family site.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2005, 09:50:05 AM »

...Things you catch on TV every now and then...  Ah, those bickering "Desperate Housewives"...  Can't we all just get along?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2005, 10:16:49 AM »

DR Jennifer - Depending on the cut of meat you'll be roasting, if you have the stove top space - and don't mind a little smoke in your kitchen - if you can brown/sear your roast before putting it in the oven that will help add some wonderful flavor to the finished product.

How exactly does one sear a roast? I would try that.  Although I have to be very careful with smoke because my smoke alarm rings very easily.  And then the alarm company calls very angry.

Also, I still don't have a meat thermometer.  So is 1 hour okay for a 2 lb roast? And how do i tell if it's ready without slicing into it?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2005, 10:17:32 AM »

Sorry to hear of the passing of Igor Edelman a couple of weeks ago.  Igor was one of the leading movie poster conservationists (he really invented the field), and he was a wonderful guy.  He did all my linenbacking and conservation work, and anyone who cared about their posters used him.  I was happy to know him a bit outside of his work, as I knew his daughter.  Apparently, he went peacefully with his wife and daughter at his side.  Can't ask for better than that.  I'm happy to own an "original" Edelman painting.  Back in the early nineties, I commissioned him to recreate the one-sheet for Morocco.  There was no way I would ever be affording an original poster on that film (heaven knows what it would have fetched then, not to mention now, but it would be somewhere in the fifty K range).  So, Igor did an original painting of the poster and it was incredible.  I shall take a photograph of it later and post it for all to see.

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2005, 10:20:13 AM »

...Things you catch on TV every now and then...  Ah, those bickering "Desperate Housewives"...  Can't we all just get along?

;)

What is the story with that DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES photo shoot?  I believe Teri Hatcher is supposed to tell her side of the story on Access Hollywood tonight. But I am very curious.

They were saying that the women are asking for $1M per show. And that ABC was making demands on the photo shoot saying that Teri Hatcher could not be in the center of the photo and could not choose her bathing suit first.  What is that about?

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2005, 10:20:52 AM »

HOO and RAY!  I just recieved my free sample of Dale & Thomas Drizle Corn , Peanut Butter with White Chocolate Drizzle...MMM MMM Good!! Thanks DR Jose for telling us about the site!!!

The only thing better than drizzle popcorn is FREE drizzlepopcorn!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2005, 10:21:19 AM »

DR MattH, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on CLOSER.  I really want to see it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2005, 10:23:26 AM »

As A Chorus Line casting.... the mind just boggles...

Zach - Don Knotts
Larry - Andy Griffith (but, of course.  And then during the run, Don and Andy could switch off roles.)
Cassie - Kirstie Alley
Connie - Bjork (with the swan dress)
Richie - Michael Jackson
Sheila - Susan Lucci
Diana - Rosie Perez (although she could possibly pull this one off)
Bebe - Courtney Love
Val - Kathie Lee Gifford (I wonder if she'd demand to change the four-letter words?)
Maggie - Melanie Griffiths
Don - Kevin Costner
Greg - Gilbert Gottfried
Mark - Jm. J Bullock
Bobby - Steven Wright
Al - Patrick Duffy
Kristine - Victoria Principal
Mike - Tony Danza (Have to have someone in the cast who might actually be good - just to make the rest of the cast look even more pitiable.)

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2005, 10:30:38 AM »

And for more "serious" news about A Chorus Line, be sure to check out

http://www.achorusline.org

The site was put together by Baayork Lee, the original Connie.  Very informal, but very informative.  A nice place for the whole A Chorus Line family - which I am now a part of - to check in from time to time.

And I believe there is a history of the show, that explains some of the taping sessions and what eventually ended up in the show.

The stories in the show are all based on the real interviews with real people.  Some people got to speak their own lines, some people got to speak other people's.  And some "stories" were cobbled together from various people.  A little from here, a little from there.  And, I have to say, the best times in the rehearsal room - and outside of the rehearsal room - were when Baayork and  other alumni would just start telling their stories...  Before, during and after the Broadway run.  The good, the bad and the ugly.  But mainly the good.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2005, 10:31:03 AM »

I'm in the midst of watching Closer, so you'll have my thoughts in tomorrow's notes.  As I was watching one particular scene, I thought, "That seems very familiar to me."  Then I realized I'd seen the play at the Taper, with Rebecca de Mornay and Maggie Gyllanthal.  I think that was prior to my doing the notes, however.  I remember not liking the play all that much, and that is proving to be the case with the film.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up