Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEEK CONTINUES  (Read 25564 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE WEEK CONTINUES
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2005, 07:00:11 AM »

DR Hisaka,
Those beautiful pictures of the cherry blossoms remind me so much of when I visitied Japan...which was just about this time of year in 1990. Everything was so beautiful there!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2005, 07:07:12 AM »

Here's an interesting news tidbit (well I think so anyway)

Updated: 10:07 a.m. ET April 6, 2005KIBBUTZ MAANIT, Israel - A Texas oilman is using his Bible as a guide to finding oil in the Holy Land.

John Brown, a born-again Christian and founder of Zion Oil & Gas of Dallas, can quote chapter and verse about his latest drilling venture in Israel, where his company has an oil and gas exploration license covering 96,000 acres.

“Most blessed of sons be Asher. Let him be favored by his brothers and let him dip his foot in oil,” Brown quotes from Moses’s blessing to one of the 12 Tribes of Israel in Deuteronomy 33:24.

Standing next to a 177-foot derrick at Kibbutz Maanit in northern Israel, Brown said the passage indicated there is oil lying beneath the biblical territory of the Tribe of Asher, where the agricultural community is located.

Geological surveys and an attempt by an Israeli-based company to find oil at the same site 10 years ago, a venture he said was abandoned for lack of funds, led Brown to pick the spot where new drilling will begin this week.

Brown said he raised money for “Project Joseph” from fellow evangelical Christians in the United States.

“From the investment standpoint, they certainly hope to have a return of the money,” he said. “But the basis of it is Genesis, chapter 12.”

In that passage, God promises to shower blessings on those who bless the “great nation” sired by the Hebrew patriarch Abraham.

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2005, 07:11:10 AM »

and another one:

Author of Schiavo memo steps forward
Sen. Martinez accepts senior aide’s resignationBy Mike Allen

Updated: 11:33 p.m. ET April 6, 2005The legal counsel to Sen. Mel Martinez (R-Fla.) admitted yesterday that he was the author of a memo citing the political advantage to Republicans of intervening in the case of Terri Schiavo, the senator said in an interview last night.

Brian Darling, a former lobbyist for the Alexander Strategy Group on gun rights and other issues, offered his resignation and it was immediately accepted, Martinez said.

Martinez said he earlier had been assured by aides that his office had nothing to do with producing the memo. "I never did an investigation, as such," he said. "I just took it for granted that we wouldn't be that stupid. It was never my intention to in any way politicize this issue."

Martinez, a freshman who was secretary of housing and urban development for most of President Bush's first term, said he had not read the one-page memo. He said he inadvertently passed it to Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), who had worked with him on the issue. After that, other Senate aides gave the memo to reporters for ABC News and The Washington Post.

Harkin said in an interview that Martinez handed him the memo on the Senate floor, in hopes of gaining his support for the bill giving federal courts jurisdiction in the Florida case in an effort to restore the Florida woman's feeding tube. "He said these were talking points -- something that we're working on here," Harkin said.

The mystery of the memo's origin had roiled the Capitol, with Republicans accusing Democrats of concocting the document as a dirty trick, and Democrats accusing Republicans of trying to duck responsibility for exploiting the dying days of a brain-damaged woman.

Conservative Web logs have challenged the authenticity of the memo, in some cases likening it to the discredited documents about Bush's National Guard service that CBS News reported last fall.

‘A great political issue’
The staff of the Senate Rules and Administration Committee, at the request of a Democrat, spent a week trying to determine the memo's origin and had come up empty, said an official involved in the investigation.

The unsigned memo -- which initially misspells Schiavo's first name and gives the wrong number for the pending bill -- includes eight talking points in support of the legislation and calls the controversy "a great political issue."

"This legislation ensures that individuals like Terri Schiavo are guaranteed the same legal protections as convicted murderers like Ted Bundy," the memo concludes.

It asserts that the case would appeal to the party's core supporters, saying: "This is an important moral issue and the pro-life base will be excited that the Senate is debating this important issue."

The document was provided to ABC News on March 18 and to The Post on March 19 and was included in news reports about congressional intervention in the Schiavo case. Bush returned from an Easter vacation in Texas and signed the bill shortly after 1 a.m. on March 21.

At the time, other Senate Republican aides claimed to be familiar with the memo but declined to discuss it on the record and gave no information about its origin.

In a statement issued last night, Martinez said that Harkin asked him for background information on the bill and that he gave him what he thought was a routine one-page staff memo on the legislation. "Unbeknownst to me, instead of my one page on the bill, I had given him a copy of the now infamous memo that at some point along the way came into my possession," the statement said.

Harkin said that when he read the part about the politics of the case he thought that was "rather out of line," but he said he did not discuss the matter with Martinez. Harkin said he has no complaints about Martinez.

"I really worked in good faith with Senator Martinez on this issue and I found him to be a decent, caring person to work with on this, and so I have a lot of respect for him," Harkin said.

Martinez said Harkin called him about 5 p.m. yesterday and told him that the memo had come from his office. Martinez said he then called in his senior staff and said, "Something is wrong here." He said that Darling later confessed to John Little, Martinez's chief of staff, and that he said he did not think he had ever printed the memo.

‘A working draft’
"It was intended to be a working draft," Martinez said. "He doesn't really know how I got it."

Efforts to reach Darling last night were unsuccessful.

Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.), a member of the Rules and Administration Committee, wrote to the panel's leaders last week to ask for an investigation into the "document, its source, and how it came to be distributed."

"Those who would attempt to influence debate in the United States Senate should not hide behind anonymous pieces of paper," he said.

A Republican Senate official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he is not a committee spokesman, said yesterday that an informal inquiry began almost immediately and is likely to be concluded within a week. He said that conversations with senators, aides and reporters have turned up nothing definitive and that the inquiry is likely to end with a letter to Lautenberg saying just that.

Senate Minority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) said in an interview Friday that he considered it "ludicrous" to suggest that his party created the document and said Republicans were using such talk to divert responsibility.

"I guess the best defense is a good offense -- that's their theory," he said.

In interviews at the Capitol yesterday, senators from both sides said they find the case perplexing, and a sign of the intense partisanship that permeates the building. Sen. Orrin G. Hatch (R-Utah) said that the torrent of accusations reflects the bitterness over the life-and-death issues in the Schiavo case, which he said were a proxy on both sides for what provokes "every other ugly political conversation -- that's abortion."

Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr. (D-Del.) said he believed that the memo originated with the GOP because it is "totally consistent" with how the Republicans have operated for the past four years. "They just shouldn't lose their memos," he said.

© 2005 The Washington Post Company

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2005, 07:12:29 AM »

Good morning all!  
I have been rather E&T the last few days, but I thought you dear folk deserved an update.  I actually had a very positive job interview yesterday morning.  I should have asked for vibes, of course...shame on me.  But all the vibes I've been storing up must have done the trick, because things seemed to go rather well.  With any luck I'll have some more positive news for you all in a few days...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2005, 07:36:48 AM »

Good Morning!

...Before I go back to bed...

::)

I think I slept well even though I don't think I really slept for more than 30-45 minutes at a time.  I didn't feel restless, I just didn't feel that sleepy.  I was tired, but not sleepy - if that makes sense.  In any case...

The rains finally moved in overnight, and it's actually supposed to clear up this afternoon too.  So...

And...

Hmmm...

-Yep, I guess I will be heading back to bed for a bit...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2005, 07:37:20 AM »

DR Rodzinski - VIBES! VIBES! VIBES!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2005, 07:37:54 AM »

DR Ann - Continued GOING WELL VIBES!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2005, 07:39:48 AM »

Ask BK Day:

Seriously - and I mean "seriously" ;) - If the producers of "American Idol" actually came to their senses and decided to find real expert judges - and not just talking heads - would you consider being a judge?
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2005, 07:39:56 AM »

Keeping fingers crossed for all HHWs who are looking for employment. Having a couple of friends going through this right now myself lets me realize how you folks must be feeling. Keep the good thought!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2005, 07:42:20 AM »

The copy of U-571 that my friend asked me to check for him played perfectly in my player over the last couple of days. I did wipe the DVD before I played it; there may have been something on the surface that was interferring with his laser's ability to read the information. At any rate, it played great for me (and it's a well made, exciting picture, too.)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 07:42:46 AM by Matt H. »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2005, 07:43:25 AM »

Another Ask BK (and DR) Question:

Would you like to be a subject of a "reality program"?  "Chasing Kimmel"  ;)

Would you like to participate in a "reality program"?  (Survivor, The Amazing Race, Big Brother, etc.)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2005, 07:43:38 AM »

He also loaned me his copy of DODGEBALL as a forgettable fluff comedy to watch. I may get to that today so I can get the two DVDs back to him.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2005, 07:46:30 AM »

After the first sensational season of THE MOLE, I did apply to be on the next edition. I found it a wonderfully creative and exciting puzzle game show, one that required intelligence and street smarts to get ahead, and I wanted to be a part of it.

There was a ten page questionnaire I had to complete and also had to make a four minute video to show "personality." Alas, I wasn't selected, but surprisingly, a man who had just retired from teaching (just as I had done) WAS chosen to be on the show.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2005, 07:47:27 AM »

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2005, 07:51:24 AM »

Oh...

If you were the subject of a "reality program", what would like the program to be called?  (The Osbournes, Chasing Farrah, etc.)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2005, 07:56:09 AM »

Hisaka thank you for the cherry blossoms.  They certainly brightened my morning.

As for td, he has been having a difficult time as his father passed away on March 28th.  Fortunately the passing was peaceful.  

Td, a very belated condolences on your loss.  Even if you don't have much time or energy to post now, know you are in our hearts during this difficult time.

Jane

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2005, 07:58:43 AM »

Keeping fingers crossed for all HHWs who are looking for employment. Having a couple of friends going through this right now myself lets me realize how you folks must be feeling. Keep the good thought!

I know far too many people going through this, including my niece in NY and Craig in Romania.  At least he has his volunteer job until June.  My wish is very soon I won't know anyone who is job hunting. :D

vixmom

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2005, 08:01:13 AM »

Deepest condolences to DR td

vixmom

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2005, 08:03:54 AM »

for DR Ann, Jed and JRand
                                 and
               DR Jane's Craig & NY Niece

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~EXCELLENT JOB GETTING VIBES~~~[/move]

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2005, 08:07:27 AM »

Regardin Jose's Question of the day:

I would love to be on THE AMAZING RACE. It would be a blast to travel to all those different countries. Unfortunately, I don't think I would have the endurance! If it weren't for the diabetes and having to be careful to eat on a regular basis I would actually consider it and be on a team with my good buddy Ron (who is also a TAR fan!).

Ditto for BIG BROTHER and THE MOLE....both are shows I would enjoy competing in.

Of course I could do a reality show in which I attempt to get into show business in India, and it could be called Barnum does Bollywood or Chasing John (Abraham).

« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 08:11:20 AM by MBarnum »

Jane

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2005, 08:08:39 AM »

Rodzinski I relocated the offending object so hopefully my toe will be safe.  I’m such a clutch I can’t swear by that. ;D
GOOD INTERVIEW VIBES!!

Danise, Ginny & Vixmom thanks, fortunately my toe doesn’t feel broken today, just tender.  

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2005, 08:08:47 AM »

DR TD, I had no idea what you were going through. Please accept my condolences on the passing away of your father. I am so sorry to hear about that.  :'(

Please take care!

Jane

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2005, 08:10:45 AM »

Ann-you sound very hopeful, but this can’t hurt, so CONTINUED GOOD JOB VIBES!

Matt H. was it a baby girl or boy, and who was taken away?  Do you mean as in gone forever?

Vixmom from my Craig & niece thanks for the vibes. :)

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2005, 08:12:48 AM »

And yes I would be pleased to be a judge on American Idol (although I have never seen the show) if they would give me the same paycheck as they give Simon and/or Paula!!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2005, 08:16:43 AM »

Tomovoz, did you email me about lorikeets?  If so, AOL has decided it does not like your email.  The only time I have been able to open it, it was completely blank inside (not even a "to" and "from", which is most unusual).  After that first time, I couldn't even get it to open.  I hate AOL as much as Elmore hates DST (which I also hate).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2005, 08:26:00 AM »

What was that half-hour syndicated show that used to run in (I think) the 80s that was American Idol like?  It usually had 3 celebrity judges, and I remember the singers came out on a runway to sing, with the judges sitting below them, kind of like Miss America.  I remember seeing Sergio Mendes on an episode and thinking he had really yellow teeth!! :)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2005, 08:31:48 AM »

Rodzinski I relocated the offending object so hopefully my toe will be safe.  I’m such a clutch I can’t swear by that. ;D
GOOD INTERVIEW VIBES!!

Danise, Ginny & Vixmom thanks, fortunately my toe doesn’t feel broken today, just tender.  

I have always wondered who it was who bought the frozen peas in the vegetable section of the frozen food aisles.  Every time I've eaten with friends who served peas, they've always told me they were canned peas.

I've used frozen peas for a seven-layer salad (uncooked), but I don't think most people buy them for that reason.

Peas, peas,
Peas, peas,
Eatin' frozen peas..

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2005, 08:33:28 AM »

Tomovoz, did you email me about lorikeets?  If so, AOL has decided it does not like your email.  

Perhaps AOL thinks they're an endangered species....

...or perhaps wants to spare indigenous fowl any undue stress from competitors?????

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2005, 08:40:07 AM »

Re: "Lost"

Claire's baby is a boy.

Given the nature of the island, I'm not certain -- at this point -- that the person who died is "gone" gone.

If Locke can walk, and a little boy's imagination can create monsters, can the dead be truly thought dead for good???????

It will be interesting, I think.....

JMK

« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2005, 08:45:46 AM »

Tomovoz, as Gilda Radner would say, "never mind."  Got it to open after rebooting AOL.   Check your email.  ;)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up