Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THEY'RE OFF AND RUNNING  (Read 23448 times)

Tomovoz

Re:THEY'RE OFF AND RUNNING
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2005, 03:47:10 PM »

I've just returned from my surgeon with a good bill of health.  I am now officially removed from his care.  O frabjous day!
[size=8]Wonderful news DR Elmore.[/size]
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Cillaliz

« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2005, 03:50:45 PM »

I get the oddest e-mails sometimes, via this site.  Apparently, I've become The Answer Man.  I guess they get her by googling various topics, but today's e-mail was really strange - a lady in Canada wanted to know where she could find the poem of Dangerous Dan McGrew, which her dad used to recite to her all the time.  

Of course, the poem itself is called The Shooting of Dan McGrew, but one little "dangerous dan mcgrew" via google got me to the poem, which I cut and pasted into an e-mail response.

Good heavens, I thought my family was the only one subjected to Dan McGrew on a regular basis.  When my dad has a couple drinks and thinks he has the audience we hear Dan McGrew.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #122 on: July 25, 2005, 03:51:38 PM »

CONGRATS! DR ELMORE!!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: July 25, 2005, 04:19:35 PM »

I shall now be on my way to pick up the motor car.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: July 25, 2005, 05:00:59 PM »

Let me get this straight: I leave at four twenty to walk one mile to the gas station where the motor car is.  I walk.  I pay for the bill.  I drive to my mail place.  I drive back to the home environment.  I arrive at 5:00.  And in that forty count them forty minutes there is not one single posting?  Have I got that right?

Let the bitch-slapping begin.

Ginny

« Reply #125 on: July 25, 2005, 05:07:49 PM »

Back from Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park, where I attended the unveiling of a recently-completed study on the status of women and girls in the region.  The most exciting part was getting to see the Tony Award (I'd never seen one in person - it's encased in plexiglas in the lobby) that the Playhouse won in 2004.

DRs MBarnum, Ben, and others who asked about March of the Penguins - it's very informative and full of amazing photgraphy, but is, at best, a glorified National Geographic special.  No, DR MBarnum, I think a 3 year old would be bored, bored, bored.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Tomovoz

« Reply #126 on: July 25, 2005, 05:08:08 PM »

I'm back from my morning drive (with dogs) to the Post Office.  Today's mail included (Thanks to DRs past and present with UK and French connections!) JRB' "Wearing someone else's clothes", Phillip Chaffin's "Warm Spring Night" and some Disneyland music 2001/2003.

It is a wet and miserable day in Melbourne OZ - a good day for listening to some new music.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 05:09:02 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #127 on: July 25, 2005, 05:08:40 PM »

When I was growing up I enjoyed playing Oregon Trail on the computer.  You played the role of an early settler and had to shoot buffalo and make decisons about what supplied to buy.  Every now and then, someone in your party would "die from dysentery."  It was quite fun (playing the game, not dysentery).

Yes!  I loved Oregon Trail!  Always had to put in a couple names of kids you didn't like, in hopes that the dysentery or cholera might hit them, of course.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #128 on: July 25, 2005, 05:11:43 PM »

I now have some more information re Travel in 2006. I don't think the Oregon Trail and Shooting Buffalo are seen as possibilities at this stage.  Who knows with dysentery.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: July 25, 2005, 05:13:37 PM »

I thank you, one and all, for your kind wishes; it's about a year ago this week the whole megillah began, one year out of whatever time I have left, and I am still a bit angry about it.  You newer DRs may not be aware of how important this site and its readers were to me last year during the depression and anxiety I went through before the problems were diagnosed and corrected.  I'm grateful to all of you for helping me through this, especially Mr Guy Haines whose "Haines His Way" was guaranteed to cheer me on the gloomiest days, and I'll still be saying this the day my critics nail me into my coffin.  Thank you, fellow acolytes.

Now, on a less serious note (I'm in G today), I'm almost finished with DARLING OF THE DAY!  Tomorrow should do it.  The Chicago Humanities Festival and Harold Arlen are already pounding my door for November deadlines.  It's good to have work.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #130 on: July 25, 2005, 05:17:47 PM »

DR elmore - the Titanic Sorg Opera Company just announced that they're doing Babes in Toyland as the first show in their are-we, aren't-we season.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: July 25, 2005, 05:18:53 PM »

Shortly I shall be on my way to the play reading.  I wonder if we'll even have five people in the audience.  It's one of those Monday nights when everyone, and I do mean almost everyone, who's been invited, whether by me or Tammy or whoever, has something else they just HAVE to do.  Amazing, ain't it?

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #132 on: July 25, 2005, 05:26:04 PM »

I am now doing an online search to see if I can play or purchase Oregon Trail.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2005, 05:27:32 PM »

Back from Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park, where I attended the unveiling of a recently-completed study on the status of women and girls in the region.  The most exciting part was getting to see the Tony Award (I'd never seen one in person - it's encased in plexiglas in the lobby) that the Playhouse won in 2004.

I've never seen a Tony® Award in person, but when I was in college, I was in the jazz choir, conducted by Chuck Israels.  He invited Diane Schuur, who lived in Renton at the time, to come up to Bellingham and sing with the jazz band.  She didn't sing with the jazz choir, so I didn't get to sing with her.  Anyway, I and Todd, another member of the jazz choir, drove down to Renton and drove her (she, being blind) and her boyfriend Paulie back to Bellingham.  She gave us a little tour of her apartment and showed us clips of her upcoming (and not yet released) concert video with the Count Basie Orchestra.  She also showed us her Grammy® Award.  I got to hold it! ;D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 05:30:05 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2005, 05:29:05 PM »

I'm with elmore on how important this site is - for a number of reasons.  And how much do we adore all of you dear, dear people out there in the dark?  LOTS, that's how much.

I'm so happy TPunk has joined our merry troupe.  She is a lively and sparkling addition and has filled the jernt with mirth and merriment and laughter and legs.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #135 on: July 25, 2005, 05:32:03 PM »

I'm so happy TPunk has joined our merry troupe.  She is a lively and sparkling addition and has filled the jernt with mirth and merriment and laughter and legs.

Thanks! That's by far the best thing I've heard all day!  ;D

Jed

« Reply #136 on: July 25, 2005, 05:34:32 PM »

I am now doing an online search to see if I can play or purchase Oregon Trail.

Do let me know what you discover (particularly of the free variety)!

Jed

« Reply #137 on: July 25, 2005, 05:35:16 PM »

I'm with elmore on how important this site is - for a number of reasons.  And how much do we adore all of you dear, dear people out there in the dark?  LOTS, that's how much.

Agreed on all accounts... though I'll leave any further leg comments to Rodzinski.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: July 25, 2005, 05:35:39 PM »

DR elmore - the Titanic Sorg Opera Company just announced that they're doing Babes in Toyland as the first show in their are-we, aren't-we season.

DRGinny, send info!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 05:35:54 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2005, 05:36:35 PM »

I've been a wee bit disappointed in a couple of defectors, especially former dear readers Jay and Dan-in-Toronto, both of whom should know better, if you want my opinion.  I do hope they're both doing well, though, and should they ever return I can guarantee them a bitch-slapping they will never forget.

But, for every defector, we get new, wonderful people in addition to the old, wonderful people we've already got.  How great is it that we've got a Frenchman (from France), a beautiful Japanese lady (from Japan), two count them two Ozzies (from Oz), and folks from all over these here United States of America.  We are GLOBAL, baby, GLOBAL!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2005, 05:37:15 PM »

Agreed on all accounts... though I'll leave any further leg comments to Rodzinski.

Is DRAnn looking over your shoulder?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2005, 05:38:40 PM »

I've been a wee bit disappointed in a couple of defectors, especially former dear readers Jay and Dan-in-Toronto, both of whom should know better, if you want my opinion.  I do hope they're both doing well, though, and should they ever return I can guarantee them a bitch-slapping they will never forget.

DRJay assures me he will return.  I misds him.  Perhaps DRStuart may have more info?

Jed

« Reply #142 on: July 25, 2005, 05:41:13 PM »

Is DRAnn looking over your shoulder?

Oh, Ann is well aware of my affinity for the leg.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2005, 05:42:20 PM »

I suppose I shall now be on my way to the Wood of Holly for the play reading.  I'll be back afterwards, although I may go get a bite to eat - if I do, then the notes may go up a bit late.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: July 25, 2005, 05:42:38 PM »

I'm signing off for the evening, dear friends.

BK, best of luck with your reading tonight.  I feel it will go well.  I am enjoying Mr Haines' new album, and I think my favorite track is "I'm Past My Prime," but I don't feel ready to talk about it confidently.  My thoughts are on my deadline.

Regards to one and all!

Tomovoz

« Reply #145 on: July 25, 2005, 05:44:17 PM »

One of dogs had an affinity for the leg too. Could be quite embarrassing. I hope your "affinity" is under control DR Jed.
James Thurber 1957

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #146 on: July 25, 2005, 05:44:40 PM »

Rockin' Good News Elmore!!!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #147 on: July 25, 2005, 05:47:34 PM »

Speaking of legs, and TPunk's are nice indeed, break a leg to BK with the reading tonight!

Is it okay to wish broken legs for a reading? Hmmm... Whatever, hope all goes splendidly splendid.

Ginny

« Reply #148 on: July 25, 2005, 05:51:27 PM »

DRGinny, send info!

DR elmore - check your email!

Tomovoz

« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2005, 05:53:11 PM »

"breaking of legs": We may have discussed it before but superstitions might be worth a topic.
My father used to always say that new shoes on the table would result in an argument in the house.  It usually did too - about putting shoes on the table. I think I'm now in "Blood Brothers" territory - a place I usually avoid.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 05:57:45 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up