Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: SOUR CREAM  (Read 26950 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:SOUR CREAM
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2004, 12:28:19 PM »

Years ago when RATM was actually a fun place to visit, there was a running gag about an original musical which, since this is a family site, I will not name.  However, it occurs to me that:

STUCK IN TACOMA!

or, perhaps

TACOMA!!

might be the first original HHW musical.  Here are some opening number thoughts (to the tune of Oklahoma):

Ooohhhhhhh Tacoma
where the air smells like some dirty socks
If you're feeling stressed
You're a welcome guest
In your pantaloons and frilly frocks
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2004, 12:29:22 PM »

Ah, td, I have been meaning to tell you something.......

STUCK IN TACOMA  I resemble that remark.  Actually, I have lived in Portland, the Bay Area, Laguna Beach, the Tri-State area (okay New Jersey), Ellensburg, and Seattle; but everytime I have moved away, I have come back home to Tacoma.  I LOVE New York, but I truly enjoy living in Tacoma, stress and all.

One of my best college roommates was from Tacoma!

So, TCB, why did they kick you out of Laguna Beach?   ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2004, 12:31:27 PM »

I may have missed mention of it during the two weeks I was on the east coast, but I see that a recording of "Sherry!" is being released February 24 on Broadway Angel.

Nathan Lane, Carol Burnett, Bernadette Peters, Tommy Tune and Mike Myers are all featued on the double-CD recording (includes cast interviews from "Inside the Actor's Studio").

This is great news for fans of composer Laurence Rosenthal, and for all theater fans who have never had an opportunity to hear this score.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2004, 12:32:27 PM »

I just caught the end of the Canadian Nationals' dance teams. Megan Wing and Aaron Lowe, who've been skating together since, I think, 1986, finished second (deservedly, to Marie-France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon's gold). Their music selection - a Miklos Rosza medley - was exquisite, and they skated elegantly to it. It's easy to tell that Wing and Lowe are a couple off the ice as well.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2004, 12:35:09 PM »

One of my best college roommates was from Tacoma!

So, TCB, why did they kick you out of Laguna Beach?   ;D

I was too straight acting!

By the way (BTW in Internet lingo), JMK, Tacoma no longer stinks and hasn't for several years.  Even Mr. Springsteen, who years ago said the smell of the city made him sick, came back last year with no negative effects.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 12:36:38 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jed

« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2004, 12:37:23 PM »

TCB speaks the truth, the infamous "Aroma of Tacoma" is no longer.  It can still very much be found down in Camas, WA, however.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2004, 12:41:18 PM »

DR Dan-In Toronto -- I found my copy of the Judy Holliday bio.  It is apparently a different bio than the one MattH found in his collection.  The one I have is called Judy Holliday: An Intimate Life Story by Gary Carey.  It was published in 1982 by Seaview Books.

If you aren't able to locate one, Dan, my offer still stands.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 12:42:20 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2004, 12:49:54 PM »

DW Joy and I have some of those lists from the AFI and others (including DR Diane) about what unseen films we should see.  Sometimes it amazes me what rises to the top of these lists.  Last year we rented Taxi Driver, The Maltese Falcon and Apocalypse Now and we remain confused as to what makes them all time greats.  But we also rented Casablanca and weren't puzzled in the slightest: It's pure fun.

Then, there are some films that have moved me greatly that never show up on anyone's list: Lorenzo's Oil. Hope and Glory and Love and Death come to mind.

Now in the VCR: the long-awaited 2-camera video of Our Wedding - The Musical.  Great fun to finally get to see it here at the 3-month mark, but we're unlikely to release it to the public.  So, those interested in experiencing it  can purchase the CD at www.WeddingMusical.com

Question: Is Miracle of Morgan's Creek on DVD?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2004, 12:51:33 PM »

Good morning!  Good afternoon!

What a gloriously, sunny, brisk day it is here in Richmond, VA

DR Danise, I, myself, actually don't mind the cold too much.  -I think it's a "remnant" from being born in Boston.  However, I do have some friends in Ft. Myers who are suffering through the "cold" weather too.  *And I suggested some friends go to Sanibel this weekend - they did, and, apparently, it's been overcast all week.  Ah, well... The jet stream has a mind of it's own.

I finally got out of bed around 10:00 - after listening to NPR for about an hour - and readied myself for my massage.  And, boy, did I need that massage!  I didn't realize it's been months since my last one, but my masseuse could tell.  Knots galore!  And he even helped with the circulation issues I've been having in my arms - due to getting used to my own bed again.  I had one big knot in, around and under my right shoulder blade - and I still have some "residual" knottage up there.  But it's better now.  Much bettter now.

Then came brunch at Sidewalk Cafe!  Any guesses as for what I had?

Huh?  Anyone?

Pancakes, of course!  And they were good pancakes too!  Butter, syrup... Along with some sausage, eggs and hash browns - a.k.a. "Greg's Big Breakfast".  And I finished almost every bite of it!  -They're always very generous with their hash browns.

I also picked up copies of - to tie this into a DR question - The Richmond Times-Dispatch, The Washington Post, and The New York Times.

Oh, and there's a very cute cartoon in one of the Style sections.  I'd scan it, but I don't have a scanner here.  I'd post the link to the website, but this particular cartoon is not up on the site today.  So, a description will have to suffice for now:

Title and Author: Everyday People, Cathy Thorne
Picture: A line drawing of a woman holding an ice cream cone.
Caption: No Impact-Aerobics
 ;)
-But the website does have some other cute cartoons:
http://www.everydaypeoplecartoons.com

Well, time to read more of my papers, and start another round of sorting and throwing away of stuff.

*On a related note: Have any other DRs seen the new Heloise organizing book?  I haven't read it, but there's been a bunch of articles here and there about it outlining her major hints.  The one I really like is the "Five Minute Rule".  Each day, you take five minutes to either organize something (a drawer, a box, a desktop) and/or gather things together to throw out.  Five minutes each day adds up over the long run.  -And I guess after last night, I was making up for my "deficit".  ;-)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jed

« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2004, 12:58:38 PM »

It is raining.  It has been raining off and on since yesterday evening.  It is turning the snow we had earlier in the week into a slushy mess.

But, at least it's now warm enough to rain! :D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 12:59:06 PM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Danise

« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2004, 12:59:47 PM »

Opps, I'm sorry I lowered this screen and went to start supper--I'm making a yummy ham and bean soup.  I don't know if I'll be able to have this after today but  so be it.

For those who are interested, I found an e-book of the South Beach diet on E-bay for $1.99.  

I haven't received the e-mail yet to download it but here is item number if you want to have a look see.   There are 25 copies up for sale.

2371229727 SOUTH BEACH DIET Cookbook and plan -W/BONUS  

BTW, I'm finely starting to warm up.   :)

Hey, I'm a Senior too.  I didn't even notice the change.  My how time flys!  It only seems like yesterday that I was Newbie.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 01:02:09 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2004, 01:02:15 PM »

Off to the murder!

I probably won't be home in time for chat.  Sorry.
“One thing’s universal,

Jennifer

« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2004, 01:07:42 PM »

DR Jennifer - the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Is this in response to my saying you had much karma. I feel so dense :)

Btw, I like the saying "stuck in tacoma". It works for me. Although I hope nobody found my opinions the last few days snippy.  I try to be really respectful of others, and if I'm ever not, I hope someone will tell me.

Btw, Florida is not cold :)

Jennifer

« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2004, 01:09:48 PM »

Btw, I don't think I mentioned this, but DR Jed that pic was so cool (thanks to DR Ann for posting). You are on a brochure, woohoo :)

Oh and can someone please tell me why I don't know chocolate covered licorice. Never heard of it, never seen it. I feel so out of the candy loop.

Oh and we have a new episode of Alias tonight. Woohoo.  The commercials look so great.  7pm here I come.

Tomovoz

« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2004, 01:11:31 PM »

I may have missed mention of it during the two weeks I was on the east coast, but I see that a recording of "Sherry!" is being released February 24 on Broadway Angel.

Nathan Lane, Carol Burnett, Bernadette Peters, Tommy Tune and Mike Myers are all featued on the double-CD recording (includes cast interviews from "Inside the Actor's Studio").
Does than mean "The Four Seasons" version of "Sherry" kis now being sung by FIVE people. It's time the song was revived (1963).
Seriously: Good to know that the cast from the demo recording was retained.

This is great news for fans of composer Laurence Rosenthal, and for all theater fans who have never had an opportunity to hear this score.

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2004, 01:12:49 PM »

Not sure how I ended up in Ron's quote. My comments are in there somewhere!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2004, 01:14:25 PM »

Oh I might as well finish my posts before catching up on pages 3 and 4.  

I must say, I cannot believe that anyone posting on BK's site would take away 3 of his karmas.  And I think Charles Pogue's writing style is brilliant.  I don't really find that most of what he says sounds at all condescending, cause he says it with wit and sarcasm.  

Okay back to reading the posts.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2004, 01:16:07 PM »

At last a CD talked about here at HHW I don't want to buy!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2004, 01:18:51 PM »

Oh btw, I found something so exciting today.  I found about a hundred different charms at the Un Dollar Ou Deux (Buck or Two) dollar stores. I got 7 new ones, for $2 each. Yeah!

(okay nobody else cares, but I can still be happy, right?)

Tomovoz

« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2004, 01:19:55 PM »

BTW Jennifer you need to empty your HHW mail box!
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2004, 01:30:09 PM »

BTW Jennifer you need to empty your HHW mail box!

Sorry, it's clean now. I didn't realize that it was full (got an email thru it yesterday).

Please try again.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2004, 01:31:46 PM »

Anyone who skates to Miklos Rozsa, the greatest film composer ever, is okay in my book.

Why Maltese Falcon is great...brilliant dialogue brilliantly delivered. "Here a crippled newsie took these off 'im, but I made him give 'em back."  "The cheaper the crook, the gaudier the patter."  "By Gad, sir, you're a character...I don't mind telling you I like talking to a man who likes to talk."  "When you're partner dies, you're supposed to do something about it, it doesn't matter what you thought of him, you're supposed to do something..."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2004, 01:32:31 PM »

For those who are interested, I found an e-book of the South Beach diet on E-bay for $1.99.  

I haven't received the e-mail yet to download it but here is item number if you want to have a look see.   There are 25 copies up for sale.

2371229727 SOUTH BEACH DIET Cookbook and plan -W/BONUS  
One of these days, someone is going to have to write a diet book called The "Everything You Always Wanted To Put In Your Mouth But Were Afraid To Swallow" Cookbook.  It would sell!   ::)

Oh, Danise, one thing I like to do when I want to warm up is take a nice hot shower.  Unfortunately, I can only suggest you do this when you are at home.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Laura II

« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2004, 01:32:59 PM »

DR Jane, I really hope you feel better very soon! Feeling shaky and ill is never fun. :(

DR Danise, glad you're starting to warm up!

Uncle Woody, I read the Washington Post and occasionally the Washington Times. We get both papers.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Jennifer

« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2004, 01:39:49 PM »

I also hope that DR Jane feels better soon.

Btw, it's been snowing all day :(

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2004, 01:47:12 PM »

Uncle Woody, I read the Washington Post and occasionally the Washington Times. We get both papers.
Dear Neice Laura II: This is a definate my bad!  I didn't realize until now that we're now living in your neck of the woods!  (Roughly defined as "less than a day's drive away.")  I knew that Jose was close by; he keeps dropping hints about dropping by and raising hell with me in the kitchen.  I just didn't know you were close by, too!

At some point, when der Brucer gets back home, we're going to have to all get together for a theater night (or matinee).

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2004, 01:52:48 PM »

I read the Los Angeles Times thoroughly each day, and I check the "Arts" section of the New York Times daily on-line for items of interest under Theatre, Music and Art & Design.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2004, 01:54:17 PM »

All right, it's time for me to buckle down and get something done here.

I'm going to start assuaging some of that guilt I talked about on page one and watch one of the Chaplin films.  Just put it in and watch it.

That, and I think I'll make it a double feature and watch Hitchcock's The Lodger.

If I get going now, I'll still have time for Alias.

Now, all I have to do is get Mikey and Bonnie out of the armchair, which is the best watching-chair in the house.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2004, 01:57:02 PM »

Yes, you resident Tacomans, I know the "Aroma" factor has been improved.  I am old enough to remember having to try to hold my breath every time we drove past Aroma--er, Tacoma, especially when my Dad would go to Ft. Lewis (where there is, I am proud to say, a building a named after him).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2004, 01:57:12 PM »

DR Jane, very wise of you to skip the movie if you aren't feeling well. No way to enjoy anything, THE RETURN OF THE KING or anything else, when you'd rather be home more comfortable and sipping hot soup, bourbon, or your treatment of choice.

When I was reviewing films, the only one I can remember suffering through when I was really ill was YENTL. I needed to be home in bed, but I had a deadline, and I had to see the film that day. I'm not sure I was as fair to it as I might have been if I had felt better. Funny, I don't think I've ever sat through the entire thing again, and I DO owe it another look.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up