Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SWEET NOTHINGS  (Read 17192 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:SWEET NOTHINGS
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2005, 01:54:22 PM »

Eureka!

Ah has broadened our horizons to page 4!

(unless, of course, someone "else" deletes a post and this winds up at the bottom of page 3.

:D

« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 02:57:45 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2005, 01:58:53 PM »

I just deleted my About Me Page on EBAY while trying to edit it.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2005, 02:12:21 PM »

Hey, does anybody know which of Cicero's five canons of rhetoric Augustine said would be the most useful to a Christian preacher?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2005, 02:18:32 PM »

Ron Pulliam-
Somebody just gave me the entire run of Greatest American Hero on VHS. The quality of the duping I am not so sure of, but there is also a pilot for a Greatest American Heroine show the existence of which I was unaware. The DVDs would have been a nice Valentine's gift for that Gal o' mine.

The full run of TOP CAT is now available on DVD, so I'm excited about that.

Sandra- I believe it was the canon on the left.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2005, 02:30:50 PM »

Hey, does anybody know which of Cicero's five canons of rhetoric Augustine said would be the most useful to a Christian preacher?
"Blessed are those who tithe seventy-five percent of what they earn to the church, because the ash tray in my Mercedes is full."
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2005, 02:48:04 PM »

Good Afternoon!

From Richmond!

After cleaning, sorting, packing and bagging my stuff up, I finally left Fairfax just after 3:00.  Thankfully, there was no early rush hour traffic today.  A few minor delays initially on 95, but I was pulling up into my parking space at 4:50.  With a big smile on my face!

I just finished unloading everything from the car, and I shall unpack everything over the next few days.  I hope.  For tonight, I'm just gonna take it easy, get some dinner shortly, and watch "American Idol".  That's the list for now.

The apartment is clean, although it appears my roomie spilled some wine in the kitchen (again), and didn't really wipe/clean it all up (again).  Ah, well...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2005, 02:50:57 PM »

DR Jennifer - Congrats on the egg whites!  But I have to ask where did you get the idea to add sour cream?  I would think that the fat in the sour cream would actually prevent the meringues from properly baking/drying out.  But maybe not.  However, I'm guessing the acid in the sour cream probably helped to stabilize the egg whites.

*When I made the meringues last week, there was no cream of tartar in the house, so I substituted a teaspoon of cider vinegar.  Worked like charm.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2005, 02:53:25 PM »

The scary part of your question - well, I guess the scary part of my answer - is that at one point and time I knew the answer.  -I'm sorry that the answer totally escapes me now.  But the things you learn in high school Theology/Religion class.

Maybe you can Google for the answer?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2005, 02:57:02 PM »

By the way...

PECADILLO!

-Although, I wouldn't mind some PICADILLO for dinner tonight.  YUM!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2005, 02:58:15 PM »

Two CCs in PECCADILLO - I looked it up in the dictionary.  Although, I was tired at the time.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2005, 02:58:44 PM »

Two CCs?  What am I, a doctor all of a sudden?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2005, 03:01:59 PM »

Oh, and here's "pollo" version of "picadillo" - which definitely has one "c".

Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2005, 03:03:00 PM »

Ron Pulliam-
Somebody just gave me the entire run of Greatest American Hero on VHS. The quality of the duping I am not so sure of, but there is also a pilot for a Greatest American Heroine show the existence of which I was unaware. The DVDs would have been a nice Valentine's gift for that Gal o' mine.

Rodzinski:  I read about the DVD set on today's FSM column by DVD critic Andy Dursin:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/articles/2005/15_Feb---Aisle_Seat_Mid_February_Round_Up.asp
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2005, 03:03:30 PM »

Two CCs in PECCADILLO - I looked it up in the dictionary.  Although, I was tired at the time.

Well, I was going to say something earlier, but I figured it was some sort of alternate spelling - especially since it was not flagged by spell-check.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2005, 03:04:44 PM »

Two CCs?  What am I, a doctor all of a sudden?

Or maybe you just need some C.C. Brown's Hot Fudge!

Very dietetic indeed!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2005, 03:05:15 PM »

Piccalilli...now that's what I'm talkin' about....

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2005, 03:05:27 PM »

OK - I must shower and wash all the dust out of my hair.  And then off to fetch some dinner.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2005, 03:07:25 PM »

Piccalilli...now that's what I'm talkin' about....

Hmmm...  Piccalilly - Love that southern relish!

And then there's Picadilly....

Or Pick A Lily...

-Hmm...I guess I must have breathed in a bit too much of all that household dust while I was packing up....
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2005, 03:07:28 PM »

According to Webster's - two count them two Cs

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2005, 03:11:43 PM »

Disclaimer: I found this at another site.

These came from the annual "Dark and Stormy Night" competition. Actual analogies and metaphors found in high school essays:

1. Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two sides gently compressed by a Thigh Master.

2. His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free.

3. He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience, like a guy who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it and now goes around the country
speaking at high schools about the dangers of looking at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it.

4. She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room- temperature Canadian beef.

5. She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up.

6. Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever.

7. He was as tall as a six-foot-three-inch tree.

8. The revelation that his marriage of 30 years had disintegrated because of his wife's infidelity came as a rude shock, like a surcharge at a formerly surcharge-free ATM.

9. The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.

10. McBride fell 12 stories, hitting the pavement like a Hefty bag filled with vegetable soup.

11. From the attic came an unearthly howl. The whole scene had an eerie, surreal quality, like when you're on vacation in another city and Jeopardy comes on at 7:00 p.m. instead of 7:30.

12. Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.

13. The hailstones leaped from the pavement, just like maggots when you fry them in hot grease.

14. Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at
4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

15. They lived in a typical suburban neighborhood with picket fences that resembled Nancy Kerrigan's teeth.

16. John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had also never met.

17. He fell for her like his heart was a mob informant and she was the
East River.

18. Even in his last years, Grandpappy had a mind like a steel trap, only one that had been left out so long, it had rusted shut.

19. Shots rang out, as shots are wont to do.

20. The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike Phil, this plan just might work.

21. The young fighter had a hungry look, the kind you get from not eating for a while.

22. He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck, either, but a real duck that was actually lame, maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

23. The ballerina rose gracefully en pointe and extended one slender leg behind her, like a dog at a fire hydrant.

24. It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools.

25. He was deeply in love. When she spoke, he thought he heard bells, as if she were a garbage truck backing up.

26. Her eyes were like limpid pools, only they had forgotten to put in any pH cleanser.

27. She walked into my office like a centipede with 98 missing legs.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2005, 03:16:59 PM »

Well for cryin-out-loud. I won an item on Ebay yesterday using the buy it now feature and payed for it via paypal.

I get an e-mail today from the seller telling me that they do not have this item.

Well, why in the world would you put something on Ebay that you don't even have?

I should have looked at there feedback...they have over 100,000 score, but they have just over 7000 negatives! Holy moses!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2005, 03:18:13 PM »

LOL SWW - very funny.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2005, 03:19:27 PM »

I know what you mean, MBARNUM - that has happened to me once.  And the seller was upset because I gave him a negative feedback for trying to sell something he didn't have!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2005, 03:23:18 PM »

By the way...

PECADILLO!

-Although, I wouldn't mind some PICADILLO for dinner tonight.  YUM!

What about pico de gallo?  (is that how it's spelled?)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Kerry

« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2005, 04:01:09 PM »

Bruce,

Are you trying to make my head explode?  Today's topic may do just that.  There is a house project in progress right now.  So far it's been going pretty much OK.  However, other projects on a larger scale have not gone well and have driven me crazy.  
The included building a house, joining two houses together, demolishing three rooms to make a larger kitchen and pantry, redoing an older house, etc., etc., etc.

The projects have all turned out well, but the process has been less than joyful (to put it mildly).  I think I'll have to think about Cicero's canons so I don't start ranting about past remodeling projects.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 04:02:09 PM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Danise

« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2005, 04:12:39 PM »

Evening all.

First I wanted say that I am sorry I didn’t say anything last night about SWW’s story about DerB.  It was so very touching and I thought about it a great deal today on the bus ride to/from work.  I’m so glad that DerB is ok now.  

I’m fussing with my new Wi-Fi card.  I think it’s working.  I messed with it while waiting for the bus and it said it picked up no less then 3 signals but I don’t know how to access them.  I think I need program like IE.  

I saw that they have a free trial for one on the San Disk website.  Guess I’ll give it a try because I do want to be able to access the internet when I go to NY.  I saw that the Muse lobby is a “hot” spot so that would be really GREAT!

Tried the new egg timer.  It didn’t work.  The eggs were runny inside.  Yuck.  I had to stop off and get more eggs tonight before I came home from work.  I’m giving the egg timer one more try.  This time instead of putting the eggs under cold water when it hits the “hard boiled” stage, I simply took them off the stove and am letting them cool down in the hot water.  

I guess you could call hard boiled eggs my kitchen disaster.  I don’t know why I can’t seem to make them right even with an egg timer.  And when I do, I can’t peal them.  Sigh.

While I was at the store a lady came up to me and asked if I was “Danise” when I said yes she hugged me and told me to tell my Mom she said “hello” as well.  The only mystery about the whole thing is I have no idea who she was.  She said her first name but there were no bells ringing.  I HATE it when that happens and it seems to always happen to me.  I must leave more of an impression on people then they do on me.  

Speaking of which.  I got a post card in the mail for my class reunion.  I never go to those things.  I wouldn’t know anyone there and they made my life such a living nightmare why would I want to spend money to be in their company?  I hardly see the point.    To see how fat, ugly, poor, rich they are and I’m not/am?  Please.

I own the house but no house projects.  Yet.  Someday I want to redo the kitchen/bathroom/bedroom but that will have to wait for another time.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2005, 04:14:23 PM »

Oh, I also wanted to say that I also had recent experence with a seller on Half.com for a book I wanted.  I bought it then received an e-mail that they didn't have it!  What gives?  Doesn't it cost money to run an ad for something you don't have to sell?

They refunded my money, thank goodness.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Kerry

« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2005, 05:03:11 PM »

Hey guys, I tried beating egg whites again, and they turned out much better. Thanks.  

Jennifer, what did those egg whites ever do to you to deserve this?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 05:03:31 PM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2005, 05:06:00 PM »

MELON
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2005, 05:06:19 PM »

BONGO
I like boat races.