Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HOME STRETCH  (Read 14353 times)

Laura

Re: THE HOME STRETCH
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2012, 07:30:55 AM »

Safe travels, Jose.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 07:40:47 AM »

Travel vibes for DR Jose - wave when you fly over Ohio!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 07:52:54 AM »

Betsy's very elderly grandmother (I think she was pushing 100 at the time) used to tell us she heard voices "from the other side" in her nursing home before she died.  We didn't have the heart to tell her it was the people in the room next door.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 07:53:34 AM »

This is the same woman who, upon meeting me for the first time, asked if I could help her brush her teeth.  I said, "Sure," at which point she popped out her dentures and handed them to me.  :)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 07:54:22 AM »

She was really a very sweet woman, though.  She was the only one in her entire, huge family (11 children plus parents IIRC) who survived the Holocaust.

Doug R

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 08:22:21 AM »

I've been spending ages today trying to figure out why, all of a sudden, eBay is not accepting my photo uploads. Browsing on Google I see that many people have had the same trouble after installing Internet Explorer 9. And what have I done recently? Yes - I installed Explorer 9! I've now gone onto a different browser - problem solved. Why do they do this to me?

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 08:24:47 AM »

One of my Facebook friends just posted this photo, taken from the Dayton Racquet Club dining room.  The building in the lower right, with the adjacent park, is the library where I used to work:

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Doug R

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2012, 08:24:53 AM »

An article in The Times today says that vinyl records are making a big comeback. I do hope not. I can live without all that snap, crackle and pop.

Laura

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 08:26:13 AM »

Sounds like a feisty gal, JMK.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2012, 08:31:09 AM »

An article in The Times today says that vinyl records are making a big comeback. I do hope not. I can live without all that snap, crackle and pop.
I loved my vinyl, though. Hisses and all. Opening a new album was a rush that CDs just don't have. I remember the OBC of "Merrily We Roll Along with its cutout center picture of Sondheim or the "Do Re Mi" cover with its cutout. Or all the pictures that you could see and lyrics you could read.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JMK

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2012, 08:35:07 AM »

I loves me my LPs.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2012, 08:44:03 AM »

Me, too.  LOVE LPs.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2012, 08:46:02 AM »

Dayton's purdy.

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 08:57:27 AM »

LOL, DR JMK - this photo is very flattering to Dayton!

JMK

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2012, 09:01:30 AM »

JMK

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2012, 09:08:11 AM »

I just received two emails at exactly the same time, one from the Jewish Federation of Portland and the other from Christian Mingle.  Is it any wonder I'm confused?  (A quasi-Krupke reference).

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2012, 09:39:44 AM »

And the word of the day is: DEUCEDLY!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2012, 10:07:53 AM »

I loved my vinyl, though. Hisses and all. Opening a new album was a rush that CDs just don't have. I remember the OBC of "Merrily We Roll Along with its cutout center picture of Sondheim or the "Do Re Mi" cover with its cutout. Or all the pictures that you could see and lyrics you could read.

It was a revelation when, a few years ago, I played the original A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC and PACIFIC OVERTURES vinyl ocrs on my turntable.  I didn't realize the warmth and texture that was missing from CDs.  Perhaps it's just some kind of sublimal, underlaying noise of the stylus as it rides the record groove, but there is a fuller richer ambiance in the music filling the room. 

I probably sound like one of those posers on the DVD boards that BK and DRs JMK and Ron post on who talk about picture grain, but I do hear a difference.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:19:52 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2012, 10:09:34 AM »

To Kill a Mockingbird

Yikes!  Does the cover really have those bright blue stripes running at the top and bottom?  Makes for gaudy packaging.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2012, 10:16:47 AM »

Really looking forward to an entirely lazy weekend.  They are expecting a couple of inches of snow tomorrow morning, but if the forecast holds out, it will turn to rain by the afternoon and there will be no need for me to go out and shovel.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2012, 10:19:50 AM »

And, as expected, the armchair experts who insist there's DNR where there isn't any are out in force already.  I just need to stop reading the forums.  :)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2012, 10:25:20 AM »

Maybe I'll break out a few more vinyl recordings tomorrow:

Leonard Bernstein's MASS
Michael Tilson Thomas conducting RHAPSODY IN BLUE (with Gershwin on the piano roll)
Bernstein conducting Copland's RODEO and BILLY THE KID
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2012, 10:27:57 AM »

-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2012, 10:33:36 AM »

It was a revelation when, a few years ago, I played the original A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC and PACIFIC OVERTURES vinyl ocrs on my turntable.  I didn't realize the warmth and texture that was missing from CDs.  Perhaps it's just some kind of sublimal, underlaying noise of the stylus as it rides the record groove, but there is a fuller richer ambiance in the music filling the room. 

I probably sound like one of those posers on the DVD boards that BK and DRs JMK and Ron post on who talk about picture grain, but I do hear a difference.

The problem with the two CDs mentioned above was/is simple - bad mastering.  Mastering by idiots.  When something is mastered well and when the goal is specifically to get what's on the master tape to sound like what's on the master tape the CD will be better than the LP.  Listen to Promises or Sugar or any title we've done.  From the very first CD we ever did that was my goal - to not lose the analog warmth.  But most mastering engineers don't know what they're doing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2012, 10:33:53 AM »

I'm up, later than planned, but I needed a good night's sleep and got one.

JMK

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2012, 10:49:26 AM »

One thing I can't stand about CDs is the incessant use of DNR.  There, I've said it and I'm glad.  ;)

JMK

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2012, 10:49:41 AM »

Of course, everyone knows UMG CDs are the worst.  :)

John G.

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2012, 10:52:36 AM »

LOL, DR JMK - this photo is very flattering to Dayton!
I don't remember Dayton ever being that nice.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2012, 10:55:31 AM »

The problem with the two CDs mentioned above was/is simple - bad mastering.  Mastering by idiots.  When something is mastered well and when the goal is specifically to get what's on the master tape to sound like what's on the master tape the CD will be better than the LP.  Listen to Promises or Sugar or any title we've done.  From the very first CD we ever did that was my goal - to not lose the analog warmth.  But most mastering engineers don't know what they're doing.
Add "On the 20th Century" to the list. On vinyl, the music of that overture gets under your skin and just tingles, building through some incredible pieces. On CD, even though they added music that didn't fit the LP, the sound throughout is flat and dead.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2012, 10:57:13 AM »

One more.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up