Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FLY  (Read 25589 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE FLY
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2004, 01:43:36 PM »

Still on page 2?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2004, 01:45:32 PM »

About time!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move] :) ;) :D ;D :) ;) :D ;D :-* :-* :-* :-* :) ;) :D ;D :) ;) :D ;D

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move][move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move] :) ;) :D ;D :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :) ;) :D ;D :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :) ;) :D ;D :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :) ;) :D ;D[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2004, 01:46:25 PM »

There's still something I don't get here with this dance!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2004, 01:59:24 PM »

Well, we have another remake on TV tonight - HELTER SKELTER. As someone who had nightmares from the one with Steve Railsback back in the 1970s, I have NO intention of watching this new version.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2004, 02:00:30 PM »

BTW, I read the VARIETY review of the new version of THE LION IN WINTER. It was very positive with especially good words for Stewart and Close.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2004, 02:07:02 PM »

Can't attend chat, because I'll be at the opening of Diary of a Scoundrel, the Russian farce for which I've provided incidental music.  It plays tonight at 8 and tomorrow at 2 & 8 for free at The Circle in the Square, where Frozen normally plays.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

François de Paris

« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2004, 02:11:10 PM »

The Rosemary Clooney Show.... on DVD! NEW!

http://www.rosemaryclooney.com/tvshowcd/singingatbestdvd.htm

Michael

« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2004, 02:23:08 PM »

I remember seeing Jana Schneider in the touring version of Drood and she was the chosen murderer that night. I wonder after reading that sad article about her if her character wasn't chosen more times than all the others.

Maybe one day we will find out who was the most chosen murder of all time in the Broadway version of Drood.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2004, 02:26:57 PM »

Starting to price my vacation to NZ and it is becoming a little more expensive than I bargained for and with traveling time about 3 days to get there and 2 to get back that only leaves me a week  there and I really wanted to see both islands. I wish that I had three weeks and that would have made it so much easier. I think I will have to look for alternatives.

Maybe driving across the USA from one ocean to another that looks like an adventure and then I could spread the word of HainesHisWay to thousands of people!!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2004, 02:27:48 PM »

Are these Hammer DVDs the British versions or the edited USA version of the film which usually deleted the violence and nudity?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2004, 02:29:57 PM »

Watched over the weekend Torch Song Trilogy with Harvey Firstein's commentary. Interesting what he had to say about the history of the play and what they did to get it to be filmed.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2004, 02:30:11 PM »

Well, as to DROOD's most popular choices, I have no idea; I've never read any statistics about how many times each potential person got chosen, but we do know that Princess Puffer was the choice on opening night.

Michael

« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2004, 02:35:03 PM »

Also watch Love! Valour! Compasssion! Had not seen it since I saw it in the theater. This time around I think that Jason Alexander was all wrong for the part of Buzz. It was too bad that Nathan Lane did not want to do the film version as the part was written for him. It has his beats. JA was a "name" when it was filmed. I think Mario Cantone would have been soo much better in it.

Feirstein says in his commentary that it is hard for gay men to play gay men in films. Well in LVC there are three: Stephen Spinella and John Benjamin Hickey who play lovers and John Glover who plays twins and won a tony award for it.
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2004, 02:35:12 PM »

The Hammer DVDs which contain nudity (i.e. the Karnstein trilogy) all have their nudity intact.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2004, 02:35:42 PM »

Green salt water taffy is the flavor of leaves.

Michael

« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2004, 02:36:04 PM »

Well, as to DROOD's most popular choices, I have no idea; I've never read any statistics about how many times each potential person got chosen, but we do know that Princess Puffer was the choice on opening night.

I think Rupert Holmes at one point was suppose to divulge that info to BK, but it never happened.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2004, 02:38:08 PM »

Meant to also say that I did not see LVC on stage and the setting was not realitic. Those that saw it on stage and on film: Did the realistic setting in the film detract?

PS the movie was film just outside Montreal, Canada.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2004, 02:38:51 PM »

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2004, 02:40:05 PM »

BTW, I read the VARIETY review of the new version of THE LION IN WINTER. It was very positive with especially good words for Stewart and Close.

Who is in this version? Glenn Close and ????

It would have been interesting to Anthony Hopkins play Henry.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2004, 02:43:19 PM »

Open question out there.

I have been seing infocommercials for VOOM satellite service. It boasts more HiDef programing than any other service. Has anyone tried it or is using it? Or knows if anyone is using it? I am tempted to try it out.

My local cable service is behind in the HiDef service and haven't looked into other companies out there who offer a simialr service.
Never stop dreaming.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2004, 02:43:20 PM »

I be surprised if Jana wasn't elected the murderer most often.  She was just that good.  The audience loved her.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2004, 02:45:27 PM »

Can't attend chat, because I'll be at the opening of Diary of a Scoundrel, the Russian farce for which I've provided incidental music.  It plays tonight at 8 and tomorrow at 2 & 8 for free at The Circle in the Square, where Frozen normally plays.
So, what you're telling us is that Diary of a Scoundrel is skating around Frozen's regular performance schedule?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2004, 02:46:32 PM »

In the production I saw Jean Stapleton was Puffer, Clive Revill was the Chairman, Paige O'Harra was Drood and John Herrara was Neville. This version was not the same as the broadway version it had been rewritten. Ceylon was dropped and there were a couple of new songs as well.

This was also the production that had George Rose in it and who was murdered during a break in the touring schedule.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 02:48:08 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2004, 02:47:08 PM »

I hate flies. And I’m quite certain that flies hate me, as I kill each and every one of them dead as a doornail, and we all know how dead doornails are.

Hmm, very strange, BK.  Have you thought of discussing this hatred of flies with David (Al) Hedison or Jeff Goldblum?  I am sure that some of our younger dear readers will find this difficult to believe, but when I first saw the original version of THE FLY at the age of eight or nine, it was the most terrifying movie I had ever seen at that time.  This was, of course, pre-PSYCHO or HOMICIDAL; and long before Freddy or Jason.

Which brings up a possible Topic we could discuss:

What movie did you see as a child or young adult that scarred you so much that the film still makes you uneasy today? (Now, to be fair, it doesn't have to be a horror film or a ghost story or a slasher movie.  Different movies can affect people different ways -- like ISHTAR)

I'll start.  I can remember two different movies that left lasting impressions on me as a child, and both were released in the same year - 1961.  The first was William Castles's MR. SARDONICUS.  For some reason that entire film was an uncomfortable movie for me to sit through, although if I were to see it again now, I would probably laugh and laugh (BUT, I won't watch it again).  The second film was THE INNOCENTS with Deborah Kerr.  At the end of that movie I found myself sitting in this darkened theater in a literal cold sweat.  To me it was the classic ghost story and it bothers me to this day.  (Even the opera terrified me)
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2004, 02:49:14 PM »

Green salt water taffy is the flavor of leaves.
Ah, but which leaves?  Basil?  Bay?  Would something that has the flavor of Leaves of Grass taste of Walt Whitman?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2004, 02:50:35 PM »

Which brings up a possible Topic we could discuss:

What movie did you see as a child or young adult that scarred you so much that the film still makes you uneasy today? (Now, to be fair, it doesn't have to be a horror film or a ghost story or a slasher movie.  Different movies can affect people different ways -- like ISHTAR)

Mine would have to be The Exorcist which I saw when I was 13 years old. I think I looked like 18. I had never seen a movie quite like that one and was in shock for a couple of hours after that.
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2004, 02:51:29 PM »

The film that still makes me uneasy today and which I still have difficulty watching, as great as it is, is Repulsion.  I wouldn't watch Psycho for over ten years after I initially saw it (see Kritzerland).

Tomovoz

« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2004, 02:53:15 PM »

"The Innocents" (1961) was the scariest movie of my childhood. (I was 15 at the time and thought it was chilling). Mind games are so much more effective than what they show as "horror" today. The Jasons etc are just stupid (IMHO).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2004, 02:54:40 PM »

Meant to also say that I did not see LVC on stage and the setting was not realitic. Those that saw it on stage and on film: Did the realistic setting in the film detract?.

DR Michael,  I saw LVC twice onstage, once with Nathan Lane in previews and once with Mario Cantone later in the run, and I preferred the film.  To me, the play was so much about a narrator talking to the audience and i'm sick of this device:  don't tell me, dramatize it

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2004, 02:56:58 PM »

Two films:  PSYCHO and THE WICKER MAN.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up