Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PROCRASTINATING  (Read 18543 times)

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
Re:PROCRASTINATING
« Reply #120 on: October 15, 2005, 08:52:45 PM »

So I guess I tuned in just that tad too late... well, I got a song file from jason two days ago - wow, beautiful voice, lots of pizzazz... I'm encouraging him to put together a club act, and I hope y'all will do likewise!

Ritziest bash - Queen Juliana's (Netherlands) birthday partay at her daughter the royal Princess Caroline's apartment in NY. I was the entertainment, with my pianist at the time (this was more than 25 years ago, I think... Caroline was still married to the South American guy, I think his name was Jorge Guillermo). Yowza.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #121 on: October 15, 2005, 08:53:37 PM »

Woods! Matt! Whattaya doin' up so late??? It's not quite 6 pm, dinnertime, here in Maui... Sund is setting in the west...
PennyO

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #122 on: October 15, 2005, 08:55:00 PM »

Having worked in catering at Carnegie-Mellon for several of fifteen years, I can say that I have happily and efficiently served up to 600 people in one room at the same time (The President's Ball) and well over two thousand scattered all about the campus (Graduation).  All I can say is it takes tons of careful planning and the best staffs money can buy. . .
Actually, some details/war stories would probably be appreciated by one and all!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #123 on: October 15, 2005, 08:56:55 PM »

Woods! Matt! Whattaya doin' up so late??? It's not quite 6 pm, dinnertime, here in Maui... Sund is setting in the west...
I've got to beddibye soon, but wanted to do one last check.  And der B and I dine late, in any case.  (Tonight was pork loin chops baked with sauerkraut and onion and carroway, with pan-fried taters.  Simple, but yummy.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2005, 09:03:40 PM »

Speaking of yummy, I tried a new flavor of ice cream today: Gingerbread Man!  A gingery-vanilla base, with swirls of brown sugar and little bits of gingerbread cookie mixed in.  Another yummerlicious!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2005, 09:05:16 PM »

Der Brucer is helping himself to a bowl of Gingerbread Man and Chocolate.  Decadent, huh?   ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2005, 09:22:02 PM »

On a less appetizing note, check out the Company Cookbook.  Der Brucer says it looks like stuff his daughter would serve...if she could cook.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2005, 09:24:03 PM »

The West Coast crew has less than three hours to keep this from becoming the low post record.  I've done what I can.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2005, 09:43:36 PM »

Back from the delightful ritzy affair, about which more later.  Well, I think we'll just make it past having our worst posting day, but not by much, unless we have a sudden flurry.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2005, 10:02:51 PM »

One of the reasons I like to put on the dog and get dressed in the old penguin suit is that I think Americans to not show enough respect for dress occassion...notably the theatre.  I still always wear a jacket to the theatre, usually a tie.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2005, 10:26:44 PM »

Just finishing dinner: a lovely stir-fry with lots of fresh mushrooms, celery, pea pods, water chestnuts, fresh broccolli, bits of leftover chicken - all mixed with bits of garlic, pepper, cilantro, parsley, oregano, a little marjorammmmmm...

I ate a baby coconut today - very different. The fluid is very clear and sweet (sidebar: during WWII they used this fluid for transfusions!!), and the flesh is almost like pudding, so soft and sweet, hasn't yet developed the characteristic chewy-ness. It was a golden coconut, plucked from a five-foot high tree just yesterday. Ohhhh, don't we just LOVE Hawai'i...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #131 on: October 15, 2005, 10:29:45 PM »

I see I'm alone here, jabbering to myself... well, it's only 7:30. The lights are twinkling on below in Kahului and Wailuku. New street lights I see along the highway to Kihei...

Speaking of which, tomorrow morning I go to Kihei to play Renaissance and early Baroque music with my early music geeks. Oh, boy! I've been so looking forward to this!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #132 on: October 15, 2005, 10:32:30 PM »

Jason!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2005, 10:32:46 PM »

You're up late...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2005, 10:33:37 PM »

I'm gonna crash early - up crack o' dawn tomorrow to grease up the ol' recorder for mah session...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #135 on: October 15, 2005, 10:36:41 PM »

Toddling off to my bed, with my computer and a DVD to sleep to. That's really all it takes: someone ELSE talking, to shut up the jibbering going on in my skull. Especially if it's not too interesting, or if it's a film I've seen several times. I just nod off. Trouble is, now that I've taken to DVD's instead of sleeping pills, I can't go to a movie at night - $10 thrown away, because I just nod off as soon as the credits start to roll. Good nap. How'd ya like the film, Pen? What film?
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #136 on: October 15, 2005, 10:37:26 PM »

And so, good night.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #137 on: October 15, 2005, 10:38:37 PM »

Sheesh, I'm procrastinating, waiting for Jason to show up... <yawn> off I go... Nitey-nite, night owls...
PennyO

MBarnum

« Reply #138 on: October 15, 2005, 10:45:18 PM »

Well, I think that quote about Klinton Spilsbury is actually just a joke. If you look at the website for LETHAL FORCE or the Frank Prather's website, you will see that it is mostly a lot of joking around...and Frank is definitley NOT gay, which you will discover while persuing his site further.

Jason

« Reply #139 on: October 15, 2005, 10:45:26 PM »

Aloha, Penny!!!

Jason

« Reply #140 on: October 15, 2005, 10:47:13 PM »

I'm just getting in from a loverly day of musical theatre. A friend of mine had a couple of spare tickets to Michael John LaChuisa's SEE WHAT I WANNA SEE and FIDDLER ON THE ROOF (yes, the one with Rosie and Harvey), so DR Jose and I joined him. Well...that's not ENTIRELY true...

Jason

« Reply #141 on: October 15, 2005, 10:49:45 PM »

DR Jose and I joined him for SEE WHAT I WANNA SEE, but he only had one spare for FIDDLER tonight. I've seen this production WAY too many times (five, to be exact), so I let Jose have the ticket. In the meantime, we managed to get me a last minute ticket to SWEENEY TODD. It ended up being a house seat, center orchestra - eighth row. PERFECT!

After our respective evening shows, I met up with my friend and Jose at the Minskoff and we tottled up to Becco for a late night snack/meal/dessert. :)

MBarnum

« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2005, 10:50:31 PM »

so DR Jose and I joined him.

Why, was he coming apart?  ;D

Jason

« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2005, 10:53:11 PM »

I wasn't quite sure what to expect out of SEE WHAT I WANNA SEE. I'm no great fan of Michael John's previous endeavours - I think he tries to be too "smart," which alienates his audience. Well, I really enjoyed this show. The cast was fantastic (Idina Menzel was VERY subdued for a change - no pop screaming - which was lovely) and Mary Testa made Jose and me cry with her second act solo. Quite moving. Yes, Michael John can, apparently, be moving and musically accessible. Who knew!?!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 10:54:43 PM by Jason »

MBarnum

« Reply #144 on: October 15, 2005, 10:54:59 PM »

Got another Bollywood movie in for the weekend...HANAN (2004) starring Manoj Bajpai (who for some reason has become very popular with gay film fans in India).

Started out with a very unique storyline...but during the last half hour it plunged quickly into a typical action film.

Jason

« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2005, 11:02:57 PM »

SWEENEY TODD. Oh, Sweeney. I wasn't at all sure what to expect out of this production. The cast plays their own instruments and Patti LuPone is Mrs. Lovett. That just made me squirm just a little, so I had to see it to satisfy my curiosity, and I am SO glad I did. What an incredibly different, simple and effective production! The orchestration for 10 pieces works beautifully. The voices are wonderful. The scenic design and use of props is great. Even Patti was wonderful. I'll admit to not being a big fan of her Mrs. Lovett in concert, but she has really grown in the role (and had better direction [Sorry, Lonny!]). She plays Lovett as a cold, mean, coniving bitch who uses Toby from the get-go to get what she wants. Mr. Cerveris is very good, too, but the standouts to me were the guy playing Toby (Manuel Felicano) and Ms. Donna Lynn Champlin, who plays Signor Pirelli as well as the accordian, piano and flute. The rest of the cast was great, too. I really can't say enough good things about their performances. I had issues with a few of the directorial choices - someone who's never seen or heard SWEENEY might have been confused by this production - but overall I thought it was a brilliant reconception of Mr. Sondheim's masterpiece.

In the audience tonight: Mr. Hal Prince, the director of the original Broadway production as well as Ms. LuPone's director in EVITA, which she does not list in her bio. In fact, she doesn't mention SUNSET BLVD. or LES MISERABLES in it, either. Curious...

SWEENEY purists will not like this production. But honestly - who wants to pay $100 to see a reproduction of the original show when you can get it on DVD for $25 with the original cast!?! This is one of the most original pieces of theatre I've seen since I moved here and I applaud it. So did the rest of the crowd. The second the lights went out a roar went through the theatre - the excitement was palpable. And the lights had barely gone out after the finale before the entire audience (and I mean THE ENTIRE AUDIENCE) were on their feet. The cast - especially Patti and Donna Lynn - were very moved by the audience reaction. I've rarely heard/seen an ovation like the one I was part of tonight. And it was well-deserved.

I just wonder how the critics will enjoy it...

« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 11:06:41 PM by Jason »

MBarnum

« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2005, 11:03:18 PM »

Freddy has again fallen asleep before me, so it must be time to hie myself to bed. Night all.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2005, 11:08:10 PM »

Good Evening!

What DR Jason said.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2005, 11:12:51 PM »

Just read on Broadway.com that SEE WHAT I WANNA SEE has already extended their booking at the Public through 12/04/05. Not bad for a show that's just now in previews...

I need to head to bed. I'm suffering through...um...seeing IN MY LIFE tomorrow afternoon.

Pray for me. :)

Jason

« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2005, 11:14:12 PM »

BTW, DR PennyO: My musical director and I have already been chatting about the cabaret act. I believe we have the second half all worked out. :D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up