Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WAXING NOSTALGIC  (Read 28110 times)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
Re:WAXING NOSTALGIC
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2005, 02:35:03 PM »

Been listening to "The Likes of Us" the first musical written, but never produced, by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice.  One would suspect it would be filled with ALW melodies we've heard before, he even mentions that he has re-used two melodies since writing the score.  Since the overture, I've heard 3!   Quite a feast for the ALW fan.

Matthew

« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2005, 02:35:33 PM »

Page 4 dance.... I won't dance, don't ask me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2005, 02:36:15 PM »

Saturday morning TV -- not always on the same schedule, but on Saturdays over time:

Fury
Sky King
Wild Bill Hickock
Annie Oakley
Sgt. Preston of the Yukon

« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 02:36:44 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2005, 02:37:10 PM »

Page 4 dance.... I won't dance, don't ask me.

I won't...and don't you ask me, either!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2005, 02:42:13 PM »

Been listening to "The Likes of Us" the first musical written, but never produced, by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice.  One would suspect it would be filled with ALW melodies we've heard before, he even mentions that he has re-used two melodies since writing the score.  Since the overture, I've heard 3!   Quite a feast for the ALW fan.

I ordered this but it hasn't arrived yet.  Maybe it'll come today. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matthew

« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2005, 02:44:10 PM »

3 melodies, and one "borrowed" I believe from RIchard Rogers, I can't tell. but it's not ALW.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2005, 02:50:10 PM »

I'm off again, this time to my sister's.  Our mother is supposed to be coming over to visit.  Be back later. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2005, 02:54:40 PM »

:P I've been lying on the couch all afternoon with one of those sick sinus headaches.  Dozed through most of the Michigan game, waking up in the 4th quarter to find The Blue so far ahead that the reserves were playing.  I'm back up and about, but not ready to perform cartwheels or anything.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2005, 02:56:45 PM »

Welcome nine GUESTS.

Hey, Matthew, weren't you going to write an amazon review?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2005, 03:00:38 PM »

The Citron letter, which I hadn't seen, is interesting, but who knows?  I, of course, based my info on the contract, wherein the royalties for Motherhood and Elegance are completely Merrill's.  I'd always heard that Strouse and Adams wrote a song no one liked, but that the title Before the Parade Passes By was theirs.  But, these things could be entirely false and just stories passed down through the years.  That said, if Merrill gave him the first eight of Elegance, then he basically gave him most of the song and form.

Matthew

« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2005, 03:10:28 PM »

Welcome nine GUESTS.

Hey, Matthew, weren't you going to write an amazon review?

I was, I am... just having a bit of a hard time wording it.  I'll work on it, promise :)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2005, 03:37:49 PM »

Anybody here remember radio? (Oh, a Stan Freberg reference!)

Saturday mornings were "Let's Pretend" and "Big John and Sparky", with a theme song by DR Jason's ancestor, if I remember correctly.

Ah, but evenings, as my brother and I drifted off to sleep:  "Fibber McGee and Molly", "The Great Guildersleeve".

And Sunday evening was a special treat:  Johnny Dollar, the Insurance Investigator with the Action-Packed Expense Account.  Now why didn't that one make it to television?  

"Our Miss Brooks" did, and "Father Knows Best", and "Gunsmoke", albeit without William Conrad, who was deemed too fat to be an action hero (but he had the last laugh) and Chester Proudfoot on radio became Chester Good on television.

Not to mention "The Inner Sanctum"-- scary!  Many of the shows were by Ray Bradbury, I learned later.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Matthew

« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2005, 03:39:31 PM »

Review submitted.

Michael

« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2005, 04:13:14 PM »

I have a copy of the Butterfly number which was set into type for the published vocal score.  The first national tour for Mary Martin replaced the number with the polka contest.  Joel Craig, the original dance captain, told me that the alteration so pleased everyone that special rehearsals were called to put the change into the Broadway production.

So why was it changed for the Mary Martin Viet Nam/London tour?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2005, 04:18:49 PM »

A shot (cropped) from Night Visitor
Never stop dreaming.

MBarnum

« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2005, 05:22:00 PM »

My Bollywood movie of the weekend is PYAR KIYA TO DARNA KYA (1967) a charming little film about a young couple who fall in love but their family, or families, object...of course this same plot is played out in thousands and thousands of Bollywood movies...only the actors are different...and sometimes even they aren't!

Starring Shammi Kapoor, Saroja Devi, Pran, Helen, and Prithviraj Kapoor.

td

• td
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2005, 05:37:57 PM »

But...but...what on earth did growing Aussie boys do for FUN?
They ran around mountain tops with their ex-postulant governess and their five siblings, do re mi-ing all over the neighborhood.   ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2005, 05:50:11 PM »

Are you also a Sudoku addict?

I love Su Doku. Sometimes Rodzinski and I have Su Doku challenges.  And all of my coworkers are into it too.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2005, 05:51:42 PM »

DR ELMORE guess who was in my mailbox when I finally got home from the bookstore?

Sr. Mario Fangoulis.

It should be against the law to look like that and be able to sing like that.  I got the SOMETIMES I DREAM CD - and well.....it's purty durn good.

He sings in some furren language, but it sounds okey doke.

This one stays on top of the CD stack.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2005, 05:52:28 PM »

I shall try the trivia question tomorrow evening....I think I have AN IDEA!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2005, 05:52:52 PM »

Hijo de la luna :)

Tomovoz

« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2005, 05:54:59 PM »

They ran around mountain tops with their ex-postulant governess and their five siblings, do re mi-ing all over the neighborhood.   ;)
I spent many mornings counting raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens. But oh those curtains!
(I decided not to mention packages tied up with string.  Better left to others)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2005, 05:58:56 PM »

Good Evening!

Well... Even after getting to bed a bit earlier than usual last night, it was still a bit of a chore getting up this morning.  I ended up hitting the snooze alarm about 7 times - in other words, for just about an hour.  And by the time my feet finally hit the floor, I had to sort of rush through my breakfast, and then race through my morning ablutions.  But at least I made it to rehearsal with ten minutes to spare...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2005, 06:03:53 PM »

It was another good day of rehearsal.  It's been sort of a "weird" first week of rehearsal - but "weird" in a good way.  The director's usual routine is to spend a good three to four days of "table work" - reading and analyzing the script, questioning the characters, etc. - and not getting any "real" rehearsal started until the end of the week.  Well, as of today, we've covered all the musical numbers musically at least once, and three of the numbers have been given a first pass choreographically.  And if we continue with this "plan" we should have most of the show sketched in by the end of next week.

And I have to say that the "Shoeless Joe" dance looks amazing already.  And "Whatever Lola Wants"...  Well, I'd even consider giving in.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2005, 06:04:25 PM »

FJL - Kay sends her love to you and Skip and "the doggies".

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2005, 06:07:46 PM »

OH!

And since the cast will be doing some research tomorrow - some baseball historians and original Washington Senators will be sharing their stories and history with them - as well as completing one of their "acting assignments", I and not called for rehearsal tomorrow.  So...

I should be on my way back up to NYC around 10:00am!

HOO and RAY!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2005, 06:09:45 PM »

DR elmore - Do you know where the A Tale of Two Cities reading will be held?   I'll be at Ripley-Grier on Monday playing some auditions for Disneyworld, and I know the previous readings were done there too.  Maybe I'll run into DR Joey if they'll be there.
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2005, 06:16:13 PM »

I spent many mornings counting raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens. But oh those curtains!
(I decided not to mention packages tied up with string.  Better left to others)
Whiskers on (sex) kittens. . .
But I'll bet you looked quite cute in your leiderhosen.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2005, 06:23:08 PM »

Topic of the Day:

Saturdays were usually cartoons for me too - well, at least "live action cartoons".  All those Kroft Superstars programs: "Electra Woman and DynaGirl", "Sigmund the Seamonster", "Dr. Shrinker", etc.  -Were those all Krofts?  Oh, and "Shazam" - (swoon)...  And then there was that semi-talk-variety show, "Kids Are People Too" hosted by someone-who's-name-escapes-me-now-but-who-I-thought-was-very-hunky.  Etc., etc., etc.

Then when I was nine, I started piano lessons.  And my lessons were at 9:00, Saturday morning with Mrs. Young.  I didn't mind the piano lessons, but getting up and dressed as if I was going to school (again) was a bit of a pain.  Those went on for about two years, then we moved down to DC (from Ledyard, CT).

Somewhere along the line, Saturday morning TV became all about PBS, especially the cooking shows and "This Old House".

OH!!!  There were also those Saturday mornings where me and my brothers would tag along with my father (usually) to go grocery shopping at the commissary and/or base exchange.  Those were always lots of fun.  And sometimes we would stop at Montgomery Ward and/or Sears.  -The smell of the roasting nuts from the candy counters is forever embedded into my sense memory.

...And then Saturday nights were usually spent at one my aunt's houses.  The father's would play pool and/or poker - all depending if our evening's host had a pool table - and the mother's would sit in the kitchen and play mahjhong, look at jewelry samples (one of the mother's had a small side business), and gossip into the wee hours of the morning.  Meanwhile, all the kids would sit and watch TV... and eventually fall asleep in front of said TV.
Make Your Own Luck.

François de Paris

« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2005, 06:24:38 PM »

Whiskers on (sex) kittens. . .
But I'll bet you looked quite cute in your leiderhosen.

Some say he looked even cuter OUT of his leiderhosen! :o ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up