Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: RESTLESS IN THE CITY OF STUDIO  (Read 24627 times)

FJL

Re:RESTLESS IN THE CITY OF STUDIO
« Reply #180 on: May 29, 2006, 07:59:11 PM »

Vixmom - So wonderful seeing you and Vixter, and so glad you're enjoying the mice (which I'm convinced are shaped like a V for Vixter, but no one else seems to think so :) )

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #181 on: May 29, 2006, 08:00:16 PM »

I thought you washed your hands in a bison. Maybe that's a New Zealand joke. Something to do with how dear Bufflalo is in Rome. Where is DR FJL? Maybe it's the price of Cantaloupe.

Mary, marry, merry.
[/i]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

FJL

« Reply #182 on: May 29, 2006, 08:01:42 PM »

On July 4th, thirty years will have passed since the U.S. Bison-tennial.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #183 on: May 29, 2006, 08:03:50 PM »

Welcome back TCB!!!

Thanks, Rodzinski.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #184 on: May 29, 2006, 08:05:41 PM »

I have returned.

I had a WONDERFUL time in DC.

In bits and pieces I shall post of my wonderful time.

First of all, it's so good to see Mr. TCB back on his fingers  ;)

Thanks, Ben!
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #185 on: May 29, 2006, 08:09:28 PM »

Even though there's still one more day to my holiday weekend, I must get a good night's sleep because tomorrow I have get to take my 87-year-old mother to get her very first passport.  This is in preparation for her very first cruise, which she will take just before her 88th birthday.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #186 on: May 29, 2006, 08:10:21 PM »

They sell a lot of buffalo meat here in Washington, and it is very good.  I let others cook it, I just eat it.  There is a little hamburger joint (Tatanka's) just up the street, that sells only buffalo meat in their burgers, tacos, etc.  Otherwise it is a vegetarian restaurant.

I had a buffalo burger at the Puyallup Fair several years ago.  It was pretty good.  Quite a few years ago, at another fair, I had a beefalo burger.  It, too, was pretty good.  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

FJL

« Reply #187 on: May 29, 2006, 08:14:50 PM »

Somehow this feels like a Sunday.  Tomorrow should be a slow work day anyway.

Continued strength vibes to Larry and his family.

Continued speedy recovery vibes to TCB.  

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #188 on: May 29, 2006, 08:18:48 PM »

Mame was bit of a disappointment for me. My friends loved, loved, loved it and I certainly enjoyed it but there were small things that stuck out.

So, FJL, that's my Mame report.

Interesting review report of MAME, Ben.  I know a lot of people agree with you about MAME vs. AUNTIE MAME.  My friend, Sharry, who is a great musical comedy star, has no desire to do MAME, but would jump at the chance to do AUNTIE MAME.

Personally, I think of them as two totally different shows.  I love the comedy in the play AUNTIE MAME, but I love the songs and dances in MAME.  Maybe I was spoiled, in that, I saw Juliet Prowse do MAME and she was absolutely incredible.

But then again, THE APARTMENT is one of my favorite Billy Wilder films, but darn it, thank God for PROMISES PROMISES.
“One thing’s universal,

George

« Reply #189 on: May 29, 2006, 08:23:17 PM »

I don't know why, but I can't picture Christine Baranski as Mame.  I can only think of her as Vera.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #190 on: May 29, 2006, 08:25:40 PM »

I almost forgot that today was Monday!  There's a new episode of "The Apprentice" tonight and repeats of the CBS shows that I haven't seen!  Today I was planning on doing laundry and dishes, but sadly (and not surprisingly), neither got done...yet.  There's still time, but I must be going.  Have a good evening, all!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #191 on: May 29, 2006, 08:30:04 PM »

I had a full evening of DVDs and TV. I first finished CLUE. I'll give Tim Curry credit for the breakneck recap of the plot he has to do near the end of the film before the murderer is revealed.

I think only the first ending has ever made much sense paired with the way the film works. The second one is second best while the third is so ludicrous that it should have scrapped and never shown in the theater. Of course, when I saw CLUE in the theater, Ending C was the one that played at my screening. I might have given the film a marginally better review had I gone to a theater where A was playing.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #192 on: May 29, 2006, 08:32:52 PM »

Next, I put on THE WIZARD OF OZ and watched it with the commentary switched on. The film really does look beautiful, but I can't believe they allowed that hair on the bottom middle of the frame in the Kansas sequence that ends the picture.

Matt H.

« Reply #193 on: May 29, 2006, 08:33:46 PM »

I also watched the documentary on the Ultra-Resolution restoration of the movie which was OK, but I would love to have seen more before and after shots for comparison.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #194 on: May 29, 2006, 08:35:00 PM »

Wonderful to see TCB back posting.  I'm very glad to see that the doctor did not remove your wit and great sense of humor along with the defective hip.

Well, just in case, a dear friend supplied a back-up for that sense of humor.
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #195 on: May 29, 2006, 08:36:31 PM »

Next up, I put in CALAMITY JANE. I hadn't watched it from the Doris Day boxed set, so I thought it was time to do so. It's the same disc as the earlier one (which I had seen) just in a new keep case, but the Technicolor really does vary throughout the picture. It's fairly pale at the beginning, has the end of one scene that seems to drift out of registration for a moment or two, but most of it looks just great.

Matt H.

« Reply #196 on: May 29, 2006, 08:38:14 PM »

I ended the evening with the CSI: MIAMI rerun. As the best looking network TV show in high definition, I go out of my way not to miss it. It's just SO beautiful to watch. As it turned out, I didn't remember the identity of the murderer of the pedophile, so that was an added bonus.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #197 on: May 29, 2006, 08:41:04 PM »

Continued strength vibes to Larry and his family.

Continued speedy recovery vibes to TCB.  

Thanks, FJL.

Every day is going to seem like Sunday to me; for, at least, four to six weeks.
“One thing’s universal,

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #198 on: May 29, 2006, 08:51:08 PM »

I'd like a Strawberry Sportcake to go, please.  :)

Here is an old jumprope song:

Strawberry shortcake, blueberry pie
Tell me the name of your favorite guy!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #199 on: May 29, 2006, 08:54:17 PM »

On July 4th, thirty years will have passed since the U.S. Bison-tennial.

LOL FJL!!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #200 on: May 29, 2006, 08:55:00 PM »

Good Evening!

Well... James, my roomies and I were playing a game of "Killer Bunnies"* when our guest/former roomie starting having some sort of reaction to something.  Some stomach cramping and she started feeling feverish and broke out into a sweat.  Hmm... So, after her system had calmed down a bit - and after we made sure she was not having any other sort of reaction, we called a car service to take her back to the East Village....

I'm still trying to figure out what could have caused that sort of reaction.  She did try a two small squares of sugar-free chocolate we had here, but the maltitol in that usually had a laxative effect if it has any effect at all.  Hmm...  She was feeling a bit better by the time car came, and we'll be checking in with her in a few.

-Anyone know if there's anything else that might have caused such a reaction?  She's a vegetarian, and we had plenty of "safe" food at dinner for her to eat.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #201 on: May 29, 2006, 08:55:43 PM »

...But we all did have a nice evening, and after the brief thunderstorm, the temp outside has cooled down nicely.
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #202 on: May 29, 2006, 08:57:15 PM »

MattH, we caught CLUE on cable a couple weeks back. Hadn't seen it in years. It is a bit labored, and yet fun at the same time.  Madeleine Kahn has some moments that just kill me.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #203 on: May 29, 2006, 09:00:43 PM »

Sounds a bit like what a friend once described to me as the symptoms of her appendicitis, but I certainly hope it is not that.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #204 on: May 29, 2006, 09:00:57 PM »

In the makes you think category...
DD emailed me (from Russia) - She and DBF were touring the Hermitage and other incredible places. On the tour was a woman with her husband. The woman had problems walking and with her sight and had obvious burns -- but, with the help of her husband, was doing it all. DD, who has all her life been drawn to people who are "challenged," spent the day talking to the woman. Turns out she is a nurse on disability. She sustained her injuries working in an abortion clinic in the southern US which was bombed! Although she is in constant pain she has made the decision to enjoy every day of her life. (I won't even address the kind of thinking that makes it morally acceptable  to maim and kill people in order to protect "the unborn.")

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #205 on: May 29, 2006, 09:01:18 PM »

DR Matthew - Well, since it's not really a secret...  I will be assisting with the final call-backs for Disneyworld's new "Finding Nemo" show.  It will be the first Disney non-musical movie that is being turned into a musical.  The songs are being written by Kristen and Robert Lopez - Robert is one of the composer of Avenue Q.  Since Robert is currently in London getting Avenue Q up and running over there, my role as the "audition pianist" will be "enhanced" for lack of a better word.

Disney is building a new theatre in The Animal Kingdom for the show - they're building it where the "Tarzan Rocks" show/theatre used to be.  The production staff is quite stellar, and it's already attracting a lot of attention.  So...

I'm not sure if I'll get down to Orlando, but one never knows.  In the meantime, I'm looking forward to the final round of casting.
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #206 on: May 29, 2006, 09:01:53 PM »

Maria- If you could, tell me more about what you thought about THE FAMILY STONE. I found it disarming, and really enjoyed it.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #207 on: May 29, 2006, 09:03:42 PM »

JoseS, by gum, it has been quite a spell since I've been on this site at the same time as you.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #208 on: May 29, 2006, 09:04:29 PM »

As for Follies...  I've always wanted to be Yvonne de Carlo.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #209 on: May 29, 2006, 09:08:48 PM »

As for Mame coming into NYC...  Well... Just like the shows in the Sondheim Celebration series, none of them were initially mounted as a possible pre-Broadway engagement.  If Mame does end up coming into NYC, it will be because "someone" thinks it should, not necessarily because it was planned that way.

I know a bunch of people involved with the production, onstage, in the pit and behind the scenes.  They've been hearing the rumbles of "we're going to Broadway" for the past couple of weeks, but as with anything in this business... Until it happens...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up