Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE EARLY SHOW  (Read 18356 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: THE EARLY SHOW
« Reply #240 on: January 17, 2009, 06:02:33 PM »

TOD

Jack & Jill
Golden Magazine

I had subscritptions to both from the age of 5 to 9.  Then I was given a subscription to a National Geographic Magazine written for kids, but I don't remember the name of it   It was very interesting though and I had it until I was about 14

My teen years I read 16 and TigerBeat -- OH Bobby Sherman!!!

I ocassionally read MAD at friend's houses but my parents thought it was inappropriate and wouldn't let it in the house

My parents always had LIFE and LOOK and my Mom had Redbook.  My grandmother took McCall's and I loved reading the  Betsy McCall stories in the back and she would always let me cut out the Betsy paperdolls.

For many years I took Smithsonian and Natural History but I let them lapse a few years ago.

Now we get Asimov's, Analog, National Geographic, and Reader's Digest.

I think one year they had a twin boy and girl as younger siblings for Betsy McCall.  I think the boy's name was Kerry and the girl was Merry (it being around Christmas).  It was one of the few times I found someone (even a paper doll) who spelled their name the same as I do.  God, I lead a dull life!  

Oh man! I remember Betsy McCall. And there were paper dolls.  I loved those

I still have my Betsy McCall doll.

Jane

« Reply #241 on: January 17, 2009, 06:07:22 PM »

DR TCB, I'm glad it was a good service.  Keep warm.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #242 on: January 17, 2009, 06:26:21 PM »

I guess I've written about eight pages. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #243 on: January 17, 2009, 06:27:06 PM »

Two more pages in the morning and I'll be finished with this chapter, and then will Xerox and deliver pages to muse Margaret.  She'll be getting fifty pages or so.

FJL

« Reply #244 on: January 17, 2009, 06:31:38 PM »

TCB - So glad the service went well. 

Continued hugs to you.

FJL

« Reply #245 on: January 17, 2009, 06:33:33 PM »

JMK -  Why did those people bother coming in to audition?  Did they not know you were the music director and it wouldn't be worth their time?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #246 on: January 17, 2009, 06:37:29 PM »

I guess I've written about eight pages. 

Were their uniforms cute?

Did they wear pageboy haircuts?

Did you also write about the people they worked for?

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #247 on: January 17, 2009, 06:58:23 PM »

Has anyone else on this site (probably of the gay persuassion) seen the film ALMOST NORMAL?  I watched it last night on Netflix, and although I am not sure I totally understood everything that happened at the end of the film; I certainly thought that Tim Hammer, who played the boyfriend, was a hottie!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #248 on: January 17, 2009, 07:00:10 PM »

took a nice long nap this afternoon and am now prepared to watch some Bollywood movies....I am almost done with my first one, ANKH MICHOLI (1960) starring Mala Sinha and Shekhar.

It is a enjoyable, thought slightly confusing, mystery thriller.

And I love the poster for the film, which was what made me want to see the movie.

MBarnum

« Reply #249 on: January 17, 2009, 07:02:26 PM »

Has anyone else on this site (probably of the gay persuassion) seen the film ALMOST NORMAL?  I watched it last night on Netflix, and although I am not sure I totally understood everything that happened at the end of the film; I certainly thought that Tim Hammer, who played the boyfriend, was a hottie!

I have not heard of this film...however, after looking at the photos of Tim Hammer on IMDB.COM, I was compelled to add this film to my Netflix queue.

Jane

« Reply #250 on: January 17, 2009, 07:12:27 PM »

Vibes to DR Danise all goes well with the home remodeling!!!

Ginny

« Reply #251 on: January 17, 2009, 07:18:57 PM »

Happy Anniversary to Ginny and Richard~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks, DR Cillaliz!

Richard and I had a delightful dinner at The Meadows.  No prime rib on tonight's menu, so I took DR Elmore's recommendation and had the grilled salmon, along with a house salad, baked potato, Brussels sprouts (yes, I do like them!), and a small caramel sundae for dessert.  The Meadows is one of our favorite restaurants where we've celebrated many anniversaries.  I was most pleased at how busy it was tonight - we saw several friends, including the parents of one of DS Rob's good friends.  One of the things I'm liking about being retired is reconnecting with my friends here in town - not easy to do when you're out of town 55+ hours a week.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #252 on: January 17, 2009, 07:22:38 PM »

DR Ginny :)

MBarnum

« Reply #253 on: January 17, 2009, 07:23:37 PM »

Sounds like a lovely dinner DR Ginny!

Ginny

« Reply #254 on: January 17, 2009, 07:31:51 PM »

Are you smiling about my dinner or my comment about friends?  My book group met here Thursday evening and it was so nice to be back with them.  They're looking forward to my being able to pay more attention to the group, our selections, and out website.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #255 on: January 17, 2009, 07:33:22 PM »

Sounds like a lovely dinner DR Ginny!

It was, DR MBarnum and Richard and I talked about your Facebook wish for us to have another 28 years - he'll be 90 and I'll be 86.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #256 on: January 17, 2009, 07:33:39 PM »

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jane

« Reply #257 on: January 17, 2009, 07:40:05 PM »

Are you smiling about my dinner or my comment about friends?  My book group met here Thursday evening and it was so nice to be back with them.  They're looking forward to my being able to pay more attention to the group, our selections, and out website.

Both. :)

Have you read "The Book Thief" yet?

Jane

« Reply #258 on: January 17, 2009, 07:40:36 PM »

'night

Ginny

« Reply #259 on: January 17, 2009, 07:54:11 PM »

Both. :)

Have you read "The Book Thief" yet?

No, but we're reading People of the Book for February.

Ginny

« Reply #260 on: January 17, 2009, 08:00:09 PM »

'night!

Cillaliz

« Reply #261 on: January 17, 2009, 08:11:36 PM »

Whew!  I have been spending the evening doing laundry and trying on everything in my closet to see what fits and what doesn't.   

Der Brucer you are right. I'm getting rid of all the stuff that's too big with only a couple exceptions.  One pair of jeans I bought when I was at my heaviest and a business suit I bought then too so I have something to look back at when I start feeling like I'm not making progress.  The rest is going including some of my favorite jackets.  I thought about eBay, but I don't really have time to mess with it so, I'm going to take it all to Goodwill.  I like that idea a lot better.  I did think about having things altered, but I think I just want a clean break.  I still have plenty to wear for now, so ...   It feels good

The most fun was trying on my former "skinny" clothes and finding that they fit!  I was dancing around in the dress I wore to my nephew's wedding.  It was a kick
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 08:13:18 PM by Cillaliz »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #262 on: January 17, 2009, 08:12:43 PM »

I've had a busy evening of viewing.

I began with my work assignment for the day: Russell Peters' RED, WHITE, AND BROWN. It was a very funny 79 minute comedy act recorded last February at Madison Square Garden. I laughed a lot and really enjoyed it. He has a sparkling personality on the stage which engages the audience rather than assaulting them. I really like that kind of comedian.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #263 on: January 17, 2009, 08:15:09 PM »

There were a fair number of bonus features, too, so I worked on it until about 7:45.

Cillaliz

« Reply #264 on: January 17, 2009, 08:16:21 PM »

It was 37 degrees today. I saw someone walking around outside in a tank top  and shorts. LOL, it was too cold for that, but apparently he didn't think so.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #265 on: January 17, 2009, 08:16:39 PM »

Whew!  I have been spending the evening doing laundry and trying on everything in my closet to see what fits and what doesn't.   

Der Brucer you are right. I'm getting rid of all the stuff that's too big with only a couple exceptions.  One pair of jeans I bought when I was at my heaviest and a business suit I bought then too so I have something to look back at when I start feeling like I'm not making progress.  The rest is going including some of my favorite jackets.  I thought about eBay, but I don't really have time to mess with it so, I'm going to take it all to Goodwill.  I like that idea a lot better.  I did think about having things altered, but I think I just want a clean break.  I still have plenty to wear for now, so ...   It feels good

The most fun was trying on my former "skinny" clothes and finding that they fit!  I was dancing around in the dress I wore to my nephew's wedding.  It was a kick

Congratulations, Cillaliz! I'm not at that point yet, and my "skinny" clothes would be so old...I don't know if I would have anything I would want to wear, so I'll probably keep wearing my same clothes until they're too baggy to stay on. (I hate shopping for clothes!)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Cillaliz

« Reply #266 on: January 17, 2009, 08:17:37 PM »

BK- I know that Benjamin Button was long, but I didn't think it felt as long as it is.  Of course others may disagree.  I think I'll try to see Gran Torino tomorrow

Matt H.

« Reply #267 on: January 17, 2009, 08:18:44 PM »

Then I pulled out another DVD I got for Christmas, the new Legacy Edition of PSYCHO. Having seen it so many times, I watched it this time with the audio commentary turned on. The speaker had written a book on the making of the film, and while his commentary was all right, it just pales in comparison to the kind of intricate research that someone like John Fricke puts into his commentaries for Judy Garland films.

I was a bit disappointed in the transfer, too, as it seemed to still have a fair amount of dirt on it; certainly not the pristine presentation that something like CASABLANCA has received. At least it's now anamorphic. I only had the first DVD release which stupidly was not released with anamorphic enhancement.

Matt H.

« Reply #268 on: January 17, 2009, 08:21:34 PM »

In a Hitchcock mood, I ended my evening watching the middle section of NORTH BY NORTHWEST. I began on the train sequence and continued through the cornfield sequence. I needed to come up and write my review of the program I had watched at the beginning of the evening, so that's why I didn't finish it.

Matt H.

« Reply #269 on: January 17, 2009, 08:22:55 PM »

On the DVR, I still have SMALLVILLE, THE OFFICE, MONK, and LEVERAGE as far as last week's TV shows. I should be able to get at least two of those watched tomorrow.

I'll also be starting on the CHEERS set. It has 28 episodes, so that will take me a good two-three days.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up