Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE EARLY SHOW  (Read 18361 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: THE EARLY SHOW
« Reply #210 on: January 17, 2009, 02:03:19 PM »

Funniest audition--guy with a lovely voice comes in and does a gorgeous version of "I Hear Bells" (or whatever that Maltby/Shire tune is).  Director, thinking of him for Roger, asks him to do it again, camped up.  The guy hit it out of the ballpark, with one of the most hilarious "physical" readings of the song imaginable.  I'll probably never be able to play the song again for anyone without laughing.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #211 on: January 17, 2009, 02:04:41 PM »

Morning auditions went surprisingly well.  Only a couple that made us recoil in horror (after they had left, of course).  The fun part, as it is in any show, is after the audition, when the door is closed, and the producer and director start dishing about the various actors.  ;)  I think we've found our Bloom, though Ulla is yet to be cast.  A couple of people who have given me personal grief walked in and blanched at the sight of me, knowing their prospects were nil, which made me laugh silently to myself.  :)

As someone who has auditioned countless times, sometimes getting a role and sometimes not, I'd LOVE to be a fly on the wall at some of the shows I got and didn't get to hear the discussion that went on about the casting of the roles I was interested in.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #212 on: January 17, 2009, 02:06:03 PM »

I can't seem to get to the site where I work, so it must be down at present. I'm hopping off-line now to get to work and maybe later I get get to the workplace and do something with the work I'll do.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #213 on: January 17, 2009, 03:03:32 PM »

Morning auditions went surprisingly well.  Only a couple that made us recoil in horror (after they had left, of course).  The fun part, as it is in any show, is after the audition, when the door is closed, and the producer and director start dishing about the various actors.  ;)  I think we've found our Bloom, though Ulla is yet to be cast.  A couple of people who have given me personal grief walked in and blanched at the sight of me, knowing their prospects were nil, which made me laugh silently to myself.  :)

As someone who has auditioned countless times, sometimes getting a role and sometimes not, I'd LOVE to be a fly on the wall at some of the shows I got and didn't get to hear the discussion that went on about the casting of the roles I was interested in.

A word of advice that I give to many young actors - and I'm not the first one to give this advice - is to intern with a casting agency for a couple of months (if you can afford to "work for free" for a while).  -Or find a casting director, director, producer, music director or pianist who can get you in the room for a session or two.

Sitting behind the table is truly one of most eye-opening experiences anyone can have.  You see the Good, the Bad, the Ugly.  But, more importantly, you see the "Not There Yet", the "Not Right", and the "It Could Work".  It helps actors take some of the pressure off of themselves - It really is all about them and not you.

*And, yes, DR JMK - I ove that feeling when you know you have a tidbit or two of information that you can use for "the better".  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #214 on: January 17, 2009, 03:05:34 PM »

Oh... And I guess the "Obama Express" is the reason the Amtrak schedule today ended up becoming so "weird".
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #215 on: January 17, 2009, 03:06:35 PM »

Back from my errands and my noon meeting with John Scott, which took much longer than I'd thought it would.  I must now do some writing, but there's no way I'll get more than two or three pages done today, which is slightly annoying - unless I decide not to go to Benjamin Button this evening and see that Tuesday.  We'll see how far I get.  I'm taking pages to muse Margaret tomorrow no matter what.

John had made a sandwich for each of us, but I really didn't want to eat it - had to, to be polite, but he had it cut into four pieces of which I only ate three.  John is a fantastic composer, but not a fantastic cook.  This was some sort of egg salad thing with way too much mayo and pine nuts and some lox added on.  Not for me, but I was a good soldier.

FJL

« Reply #216 on: January 17, 2009, 03:09:57 PM »

Do we know that Mr. Scott won't google himself at some point and find out what you thought of his sandwich?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #217 on: January 17, 2009, 03:10:50 PM »

bk - Very interesting sandwich components.  Now, if he had put all of that stuff into a Jell-O mold, well..

*And just remember, "Benjamin Button" is 2 hours and 45 minutes.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #218 on: January 17, 2009, 03:10:56 PM »

Further to bk re Mr. Scott - I suspect that it doesn't matter, since he'll care more about what you think of his music, of course.  :)

FJL

« Reply #219 on: January 17, 2009, 03:13:05 PM »

Benjamin Button is 2:45?  I'll be able to feel myself aging during such a long movie.

Or getting younger, as the case may be.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #220 on: January 17, 2009, 03:15:15 PM »

Benjamin Button is 2:45?  I'll be able to feel myself aging during such a long movie.

Or getting younger, as the case may be.

Well, "Che" runs just under 4 hours.  But at least the "Roadshow Engagement" had an intermission and a program book.  It will be shown as two, two hour movies in a few weeks.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #221 on: January 17, 2009, 03:16:30 PM »

OK... Off to a movie and then a late dinner.  I believe Steve and I are going to see "Slumdog Millionaire" - my second time, his first - and then we'll probably head to the Chinese place next to the theatre or not.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #222 on: January 17, 2009, 03:39:53 PM »

I think that the cajun fried shrimp and ravioli I ate yesterday are the reason that I've felt logy today.  I may have eaten a tad too much, since I was very hungry and the food itself looked great and tasted even better.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Cillaliz

« Reply #223 on: January 17, 2009, 03:46:56 PM »

I'm reading about Dewey, the library cat [and also a lot about Iowa!] and drinking some hot chocolate.

Spencer is about 40 miles or so from where I grew up. I haven't read Dewey yet, but her description of Iowa, is going to be where I'm from.  An interesting side note.  Around Christmas this year a woman was driving in the country near Spencer and saw something on the ground. She stopped and discovered it was a kitten.  She picked it up and took it to the Library....it looks exactly like Dewey only it is a little girl.   I'm not sure, but I think they are keeping her

Cillaliz

« Reply #224 on: January 17, 2009, 03:48:27 PM »

Happy Birthday DR Noel~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cillaliz

« Reply #225 on: January 17, 2009, 03:48:43 PM »

Happy Anniversary to Ginny and Richard~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cillaliz

« Reply #226 on: January 17, 2009, 03:57:27 PM »

TOD

Jack & Jill
Golden Magazine

I had subscritptions to both from the age of 5 to 9.  Then I was given a subscription to a National Geographic Magazine written for kids, but I don't remember the name of it   It was very interesting though and I had it until I was about 14

My teen years I read 16 and TigerBeat -- OH Bobby Sherman!!!

I ocassionally read MAD at friend's houses but my parents thought it was inappropriate and wouldn't let it in the house

My parents always had LIFE and LOOK and my Mom had Redbook.  My grandmother took McCall's and I loved reading the  Betsy McCall stories in the back and she would always let me cut out the Betsy paperdolls.

For many years I took Smithsonian and Natural History but I let them lapse a few years ago.

Now we get Asimov's, Analog, National Geographic, and Reader's Digest.

I think one year they had a twin boy and girl as younger siblings for Betsy McCall.  I think the boy's name was Kerry and the girl was Merry (it being around Christmas).  It was one of the few times I found someone (even a paper doll) who spelled their name the same as I do.  God, I lead a dull life!  

Oh man! I remember Betsy McCall. And there were paper dolls.  I loved those

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #227 on: January 17, 2009, 04:00:18 PM »

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Cillaliz

« Reply #228 on: January 17, 2009, 04:04:04 PM »

TOD, I guess I didn't talk about now.  I get a lot of professional discounts so some things like People I get for the waiting room.  I also get Newsweek, Bon Apetit, Vanity Fair, and several legal magazines.   I often try out a magazine for a year and if I don't like it don't renew.

Cillaliz

« Reply #229 on: January 17, 2009, 04:13:17 PM »

Oh, I think I'm also getting Weight Watchers magazine and Prevention.   Isn't that the combo. Bon Apetit and Weight Watchers, lol

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #230 on: January 17, 2009, 04:14:17 PM »

Yes, the Button length is weighing heavy on my mind - and I can see it at the DGA on Tuesday night on their big screen.  Then again, I may need to get out of here this evening.  The problem is, this guy never starts on time, so I probably won't get out of there until close to eleven.  Then again, tomorrow is mine all mine.  We shall see.

I just wrote a little over four pages, so I'm feeling better now.  I'll definitely finish this chapter in the morning, then print out this week's pages and take them to muse Margaret.  I just passed 100 pages.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #231 on: January 17, 2009, 04:29:44 PM »

I have returned from the memorial service and the reception.  The service was lovely.  I was very impressed with the pastor of the church. Perhaps I will consider changing churches.  The only thing keeping me at my old church is history.

Thank you all for the kind thoughts and vibes.

I decided not to go back out to the cemetery today.  It is very cold here today.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #232 on: January 17, 2009, 04:30:48 PM »

I'm feeling very logy today.  Chills.  Chills.  Chills.  Plus a teeny tiny bit of a tummy bug.  Tiny headache, too.
I'm just going to stay in tonight, instead of working, crawl into a hot shower or tub, then relax on my couch or in my bed.

I will be right over!   :-*
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #233 on: January 17, 2009, 04:32:08 PM »

These are issues I never had to personally face and you opened my eyes.

Well, I hope I can open some eyes at LCR. Whining about losing the election will do no good. Campaigning to point out Obama's short-comings when he fails to live up to the Gay community's expectations based on campaign promises is folly. Obama is the President - if we are going to make strides in human rights issues, it will be with his leadership; our job must be to see that we can muster the necessary Republican votes (mainly in the Senate) to ensure those bills passage. We must challenge Republican legislators to live up the promises of the party of Lincoln.

der Brucer

How beautifully phrased, derBrucer.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #234 on: January 17, 2009, 04:34:09 PM »

I am curious, JMK, are they correct in that assumption?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #235 on: January 17, 2009, 04:37:58 PM »

I think that the cajun fried shrimp and ravioli I ate yesterday are the reason that I've felt logy today.  I may have eaten a tad too much, since I was very hungry and the food itself looked great and tasted even better.

That is rather a strange dinner combo!
“One thing’s universal,

td

• td
« Reply #236 on: January 17, 2009, 04:44:19 PM »

I'm feeling very logy today.  Chills.  Chills.  Chills.  Plus a teeny tiny bit of a tummy bug.  Tiny headache, too.
I'm just going to stay in tonight, instead of working, crawl into a hot shower or tub, then relax on my couch or in my bed.

I will be right over!   :-*

I'm out of the bath.
I'm out of the bed.

You may still come over. ;)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #237 on: January 17, 2009, 04:47:10 PM »

I will be right over!   :-*

I'm out of the bath.
I'm out of the bed.

Are you out of your jammies?
“One thing’s universal,

td

• td
« Reply #238 on: January 17, 2009, 05:14:06 PM »

I'm out of the bath.
I'm out of the bed.

Are you out of your jammies?

Yes.

I'm wearing sweats.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #239 on: January 17, 2009, 05:42:58 PM »

Big warm hugs to TBC!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up