Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BLANK PAGE  (Read 38275 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE BLANK PAGE
« Reply #300 on: May 31, 2007, 05:02:17 PM »

Gratuitous Post # 300!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #301 on: May 31, 2007, 05:02:44 PM »

Yeterday I became a Great Aunt for the first time! Sophie was born around 4:00 PM, jhvw is very excited to be an uncle

Congrats to Cillaliz & JHVW!! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #302 on: May 31, 2007, 05:03:41 PM »

I'm now off to the Washington Center for the Performing Arts' annual volunteer appreciation dinner!  Free food!  But the best part is that they're announcing next season's shows!  After that will be rehearsal.  Be back later!

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #303 on: May 31, 2007, 05:24:59 PM »

it is a male great-tailed grackle.

My...it does have a great tail! Just like Cilla's tree man!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #304 on: May 31, 2007, 05:26:13 PM »

I was in a Borders at lunch.  The following jumped into my hand, and would not leave me alone unless I left the store with them:
What could I do but comply?    :)

Yay! I'm almost tempted myself, just to see the DVD extras.

Also, Comcast On Demand sometimes has Closer extras.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #305 on: May 31, 2007, 05:28:18 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]*****  BREAKING NEWS FROM THE HHW NEWS DESK  *****[/move]

...HHW News has learned that the Extreme TB Patient, who is currently under federal quarantine at the National Jewish Medical and Research Center in Denver, is exceptionally handsome...

My DH has spent the last two days covering this story---sometimes from a rooftop overlooking Atlanta, for CBS, and throwing live to Katie Couric. But we haven't been able to watch any of it!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #306 on: May 31, 2007, 05:29:43 PM »

One meeting finished, and another taking place at a little jernt near here in twenty minutes.

Edisaurus

« Reply #307 on: May 31, 2007, 05:32:24 PM »

Edisaurus- put down that kitty!

APder Brucer

My mother did something similar---rescued a big turtle and then took it to her boyfriend's house. She went to feed it a carrot and it poked its head out and snapped the carrot in half, Then she realized that she had rescued a snapping turtle and was afraid to pick it up again.

Guess who got to release it into the wild? :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #308 on: May 31, 2007, 05:51:22 PM »

For all of you Anthony Warlow fans, I'm watching the new DVD of the Australian Opera production of DIE FLEDERMAUS, which is quite a hoot and very broad.  For some reason, the production is set neither in 1874, the year of its premiere, nor in a suburb of Vienna, but in a New York of the 1930s with a lot of Art Deco.  This is the first production I've seen in which the Act One Finale was sung complete without the standard musical cut.  However, the opening chorus of Act Two has the standard cut so I guess it won't be a complete musical text. A lot of the updating works in a very broad way: Frank the chief of Police is now an Irish cop, Eisenstein a New York rather than Viennese business man, Prince Orlovsky a rich Russian after the Revolution, and Rosalinda in disguise is no longer a Hungarian Countess but a Hungarian movie star.

I have to say, though, with all this 30s additions, I wish they were using the Howard Dietz lyrics and Garson Kanin book which are very New York Broadway.  Incidentally, another inducement for prospective purchasers is that DIE FLEDERMAUS had a very successful 500+ performances run on Broadway in 1944 as ROSALINDA, wth Shelly Winters as Adele's sister Ida.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #309 on: May 31, 2007, 05:55:44 PM »

DH Richard, DS Rob, and I are back from a little surprise cake reception for the Scoutmaster of the troop in which Rob became an Eagle.  He's been leading this troop for 12 years and has decided to "retire."  We saw several of Rob's contemporaries and a couple of dads with whom Richard assisted the Scoutmaster.  Mrs. Scoutmaster pointed out that the boys who just entered the troop weren't even born 12 years ago.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #310 on: May 31, 2007, 06:05:28 PM »

Larry - Skip heard the word "partitur" on the National Spelling Bee on ABC and thought of you.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #311 on: May 31, 2007, 06:09:37 PM »

This must be the same tour that I saw a few months ago.  Ted Neeley was the nicest guy.  All the performers were very good, too. :)

Shouldn't Ted Neeley be just about the right age for MBarnum?

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ginny

« Reply #312 on: May 31, 2007, 06:09:55 PM »

Congratulations to DGA (Dear Great Aunt) Cillaliz and DU (Dear Uncle) jhvw on Sophie's arrival!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #313 on: May 31, 2007, 06:12:22 PM »

Following the lead of DR Cillaliz, DH Richard and I are considering making our Broadway debut by purchasing on-stage seats for Inherit the Wind.  Anyone here have any insights into that experience?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #314 on: May 31, 2007, 06:24:33 PM »

Following the lead of DR Cillaliz, DH Richard and I are considering making our Broadway debut by purchasing on-stage seats for Inherit the Wind.  Anyone here have any insights into that experience?

Having not seen the other production, I have no way of knowing how that works.  However,  the court room scenes in INHERIT THE WIND were written so that audience members could make up the jury.  I would think it would be a wonderful experience, with a lot of the speeches delivered directly towards you.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #315 on: May 31, 2007, 06:39:23 PM »

Watching SO YOU THINK CAN DANCE

I still like this show.  Really smart judges...and they show the GOOD people more than the freaks!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #316 on: May 31, 2007, 06:42:37 PM »

Hmm...

Just reading today's NY Times, and there's a review of The Puppini Sisters current NYC engagment.  Some DRs may wish to check out the review.  Or not.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #317 on: May 31, 2007, 06:46:09 PM »

And then there's the write up of the actor who was injured in the current London production of The Lord of the Rings.  -It's also up at Playbill.com.  They don't go into graphic detail of the accident, but what they do describe is "enough". I wish the actor - and any injured actor - a speedy and full recovery.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #318 on: May 31, 2007, 06:48:37 PM »

As for the new show with Debra Messing.....DRMBARNUM called it correctly for me.

She's the new Lucille Ball, you know, just ask her.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #319 on: May 31, 2007, 06:49:09 PM »

Great aunt DR CILLA LIZ has become a Great Aunt!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #320 on: May 31, 2007, 06:49:45 PM »

DR ELMORE....does this avatar still freak you out?

<--------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 06:50:26 PM by JRand56 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #321 on: May 31, 2007, 06:50:08 PM »

DR Jose, I just read about the poor actor in The Lord of the Rings.  Back in the late 1970s theree was a dancer who lost his toes in a hydraulic accident during the Radio City Christmas Spectacular.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #322 on: May 31, 2007, 06:50:46 PM »

DR ELMORE....does this avatar still freak you out?

<--------------------------------------------------

ummm. . . . . . . . .yes. :-*

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #323 on: May 31, 2007, 06:50:59 PM »

Wot hoppen to da guy?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #324 on: May 31, 2007, 06:59:24 PM »

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #325 on: May 31, 2007, 07:01:27 PM »

DR Jose, I just read about the poor actor in The Lord of the Rings.  Back in the late 1970s theree was a dancer who lost his toes in a hydraulic accident during the Radio City Christmas Spectacular.

I still remember the apprehension the first time we tried the chute in the Parlor/Barber Shop unit at the Kennedy Center for the Sondheim Celebration Sweeney Todd.  When the national tour was there back in the 80s, Angelina Reaux who was playing the Beggar Woman had a horrible accident.  And since Walter Charles who was playing Judge Turpin was in the national tour cast, he was able to share the details.  -Which I will spare here.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #326 on: May 31, 2007, 07:08:21 PM »

I do not like Fed Ex. At all.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #327 on: May 31, 2007, 07:10:30 PM »

Thanks for the link DR derBRUCER.....so scary.

And DR JOSE....I appreciate the sparing of the details.  My horrifying guess is that that is the reason details are sparse in the RINGS story.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #328 on: May 31, 2007, 07:10:32 PM »

ummm. . . . . . . . .yes. :-*

I think the reason, DR JRand56, is that it seems out of focus to me.

I finished the FLEDERMAUS; it's really quite good, even if the score sequence is mucked about and I missed an Act Two ballet in the spot where it's supposed to go. Warlow is having a great time.  I think of him as a baritone, but Eisenstein's tessitura is high.  He's got a vocal range rather like Ron Rainse: I think of him as a bariton but he's got the top.  My one reservation was the singer playing Dr Falke, whose voice seems too tenor-y for the part; I'm used to heavy baritones in the role.  I liked the actor playing Frosch the jailer, who was right out of The Front Page.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #329 on: May 31, 2007, 07:10:57 PM »

I do not like Fed Ex. At all.

Is it the uniforms, or the trucks, or the hats?  Or what?  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Up