Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: CHOMPING AT THE BIT  (Read 17402 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:CHOMPING AT THE BIT
« Reply #150 on: June 13, 2004, 07:02:42 PM »

I have said this before and I shall say it again:  All I want for Christmas is Dear Reader Jose's metabolism.

LOL-first I get hungry reading what he eats, then I get exhausted. ;D

Jane

« Reply #151 on: June 13, 2004, 07:07:59 PM »

Bruce,  I tried entering the chat but only get the following:

"Sorry, your browser is not Java enabled, please visit our java support pages "

Jane

« Reply #152 on: June 13, 2004, 07:08:57 PM »

I was having fun here and forgot to wash the dinner dishes, have to go.

Goodnight.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #153 on: June 13, 2004, 07:12:08 PM »

I have returned, obviously, from The Silent Woman.  As with several of his other operas, I wish composer Richard Strauss had spent some time with architect Mies van der Rohe and learned from his mantra that "less is more."  

Strauss takes three acts and two hours and a half of music to tell a story that probably would have been better served as a fifty-minute one-act opera.  The story, by the way, is suspiciously similar to that of Donizetti's Don Pasquale.  I'm glad I can say I saw The Silent Woman, but I doubt I will have much urge to see it again.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #154 on: June 13, 2004, 07:34:10 PM »

Jane - No, I don't think the Reiki helped Katie (the dog).

Interesting mind over matter (or not) discussion. Thanks, everyone.
I agree that attitude certainly helps. What I don't like is the kind of New Age belief that you somehow bring the illness on yourself because of the way you deal with life. My mother, for example, truly embraced life - she lived it like Auntie Mame. She did NOT bring on her ovarian cancer. It's true that she lived 5 years beyond her prognosis because I truly believe she wanted to spend time with her only grandchild whom she adored. And it's also true that when the cancer came back and she fixated on it, it killed her. So - yes - I think mind has a great deal to do with it. But not 100%.

Jane

« Reply #155 on: June 13, 2004, 07:42:00 PM »

You hit a sore spot with me.  I also hate the belief you bring things on yourself.  

Have fun with Rachel and laugh a lot.

Good night for real.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #156 on: June 13, 2004, 08:03:36 PM »

I won't take away any West Coasters' enjoyment of SIX FEET UNDER by talking about it now. I can hold until tomorrow.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #157 on: June 13, 2004, 08:06:33 PM »

...I'm glad I can say I saw The Silent Woman, but I doubt I will have much urge to see it again.
So, what did The Silent Woman have to say?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #158 on: June 13, 2004, 08:06:35 PM »

I've got Chaplin's THE GOLD RUSH cued up for a spin tomorrow. I prefer the 1925 version rather than the 1942 reissue version with Chaplin's sound narration. Haven't seen it in years, however, so looking forward to seeing it tomorrow.

As for now, good night.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #159 on: June 13, 2004, 08:26:11 PM »

...I agree that attitude certainly helps. What I don't like is the kind of New Age belief that you somehow bring the illness on yourself because of the way you deal with life. ...
I was making Pat Robertson jokes before, but it is with this sort of thinking that he really goes overboard.  His entire notion that America is a sick nation because it doesn't behave the way he thinks it should, and that G*d has abandoned us for the same reason, is an example of this lunacy.

My mother had breast cancer, back when I was in my mid-teens.  She didn't get breast cancer because she was a bad person.  She got breast cancer because, well, breast cancer happens.  

She had a massive surgery, removing a breast and much of the lymph nodes under her arm.  She also had a hysterectomy.  And she survived all of that, because she believed in herself and because she wasn't a quitter.  And she lived a productive and wonderful life.

Decades later, her hip shattered.  A small bit of the original cancer had metastasized (sp?) to her hip, and lay dormant all that time.  There was an operation, and radiation therapy, and this time it proved to be too late, as the cancer had spread this time through her body and ended her life.

She didn't quit living until the very end.  It wasn't until she knew that we understood, and let her go, that she let go of her life.

The entire idea that her cancer could have been brought on by something wrong in her life is repulsive to me.  She was not being punished.  Cancer is simply something that happens.  And no, Panni, I don't see how your mother was being punished for something, either.  Those who insist on punishment have the wrong idea about life.

Either that, or they're lawyers.  And I'm not sure that's not a redundancy.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #160 on: June 13, 2004, 08:49:32 PM »

And no, Panni, I don't see how your mother was being punished for something, either.  Those who insist on punishment have the wrong idea about life.

I agree with everything you say, SWW. But what I was talking about is not so much the Pat Robertson type "you'll be punished for you sins" belief. What I had in mind was the more benign (and to me more dangerous) belief that "negative energy" attracts illness. That people who are not upbeat and positive in their daily lives can bring on the dark forces of illness and death.  

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #161 on: June 13, 2004, 08:53:13 PM »

What I had in mind was the more benign (and to me more dangerous) belief that "negative energy" attracts illness. That people who are not upbeat and positive in their daily lives can bring on the dark forces of illness and death.  

One of the most upbeat, positive, and energetic people I ever met died of lung cancer at age 44.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Tomovoz

« Reply #162 on: June 13, 2004, 09:16:26 PM »

I won't take away any West Coasters' enjoyment of SIX FEET UNDER by talking about it now. I can hold until tomorrow.
I would prefer you leave it until well into next year! Please be "general" with your comments Matt and others.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #163 on: June 13, 2004, 09:26:57 PM »

Just finished watching AN AMERICAN IN PARIS. What a beautiful, beautiful, beautufil movie. I can't believe that in my years as a child watching musicals that I overlooked this film! And of course the title tune has long been one of my favorites.

And is there any man more hotilicious then Gene Kelly?!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: June 13, 2004, 09:31:03 PM »

Back from a really brisk two mile jog.  I did two days at the end of last week, but my legs were so sore that I stopped and didn't do three days.  But tonight was really easy and I really did a brisk run.  So, maybe I'm finally back on track and can now jog regularly.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #165 on: June 13, 2004, 09:34:58 PM »

I would prefer you leave it until well into next year! Please be "general" with your comments Matt and others.

Do we have ta'?

:-X

Well, I will say this... After working with - and truly right next to Craig Wright - last year, it was fun watching "Six Feet Under" with a sort of insider's view.  His writing is so varied, yet so specific.  And his use of language...  Now I'm just waiting for one of songs to pop up in one the scripts.  He wrote some beautiful songs about Time and Time Passing for Melissa Arctic which would fit nicely into the show.  But my guess is that he would most likely write something specific for the show rather than borrowing from another piece he wrote.

But I will say that I truly enjoyed tonight's season premiere.  It seemed liked every minute counted.  Every scene.  And a lot did happen, relatively, in the hour.  This show is truly my "Must See TV".

And then it was onto "Queer As Folk"... As I've said before.. From the sublime to the ridiculous... And, boy, were there some ridiculous moments tonight on QAF!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #166 on: June 13, 2004, 09:37:53 PM »

Just finished watching AN AMERICAN IN PARIS. What a beautiful, beautiful, beautufil movie. I can't believe that in my years as a child watching musicals that I overlooked this film! And of course the title tune has long been one of my favorites.

And is there any man more hotilicious then Gene Kelly?!

"hotilicious" - YES!!!  -And very much so in this movie!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #167 on: June 13, 2004, 09:44:04 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, I'm going to attempt to get up early tomorrow morning.. and I mean early!  But before I retire for the evening...

Thanks for all your suggestions about the "phasing" problem with my DVD player.  I think DR MattH may be onto something since some DVDs have the problem and some don't - I just tried some other back-to-back, and it seems the ones from more established companies have the problem, and other don't.  So... Again, it's not a big deal, but if I can solve it with just a few more cables...  Unfortunately, I do have to run the DVD through my VCR since my TV is a few years older than the DVD player and it doesn't have any direct connections for audio and video into it - just the standard antenna connections. So...

OK... I'm starting to babble...

OH - there's also been one other "problem" I've been having today...  I seem to be smelling "something" every now and then here in the living room.  Like I stepped in "something" and dragged it inside with my shoes.  But I've checked my shoes, and there's nothing on them.  And I've also done a few sniff tests here and there.  Nothing.  So...???  Maybe I'm just being too "sensitive" today... I hope.  In any case...

Goodnight.

(although somethings tell me I'll probably be checking in in before I actually go to bed ;))
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #168 on: June 13, 2004, 10:18:31 PM »

I have to say I didn't think the season's premiere of SIX FEET UNDER was wonderful. For one thing, the rhythm of the entire hour was basically the same - relentlessly dour. And it was lacking the wonderful quirky humor that's one of the things which makes the show so special. Oh well - there's always next week.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #169 on: June 13, 2004, 10:20:38 PM »

Boy, howdy! That was a long board meeting!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Panni

« Reply #170 on: June 13, 2004, 10:21:15 PM »

I also take back my recommendation to bk that he should watch it. That is - I still think he should - but only after he's caught up with the story by watching the first three seasons on DVD (Are they available?). I was imagining coming to tonight's show cold - and there's no way it would work.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #171 on: June 13, 2004, 10:24:01 PM »

I think the first two seasons are out on DVD.  Sometimes I get these box sets from the DVD Academy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #172 on: June 13, 2004, 10:26:19 PM »

In answer to Jrand's question, the only show that comes to mind was the musical, BARNUM.  A friend of mine in New Jersey had gotten two tickets for the show so that I could take his niece to a Broadway show.  At the time, the commercial for BARNUM was running about once an hour on all the local Tri-state television stations, and I had gotten very tired of seeing the ad.  In addition, I don't care much for circuses.  Well, I now freely admit that I was wrong about the show.  I have loved the show (and the Crawford video/DVD) ever since.  Jim Dale's tightrope song back and forth between his wife's theater box and his mistress's is still one of the best first-act curtain numbers I have ever witnessed.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

« Reply #173 on: June 13, 2004, 10:39:33 PM »

I'm woosing out tonight, folks. Am REALLY tired and my stomach hurts like hell from a huge Hungarian dinner. (Wiener Schnitzel - which is technically speaking actually Austrian). I'm going to tuck myself in and read.

Tomovoz

« Reply #174 on: June 13, 2004, 10:42:20 PM »

And guess who watched the "Barnum" DVD last night?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #175 on: June 13, 2004, 10:51:53 PM »

I have said this before and I shall say it again:  All I want for Christmas is Dear Reader Jose's metabolism.

Is that a euphemism?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #176 on: June 13, 2004, 11:05:18 PM »

Is that a euphemism?

Oh!  All alone!  LOL LOL LOL......... At least, I crack myself up.

Goodnight.
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #177 on: June 13, 2004, 11:09:02 PM »

I have to say I didn't think the season's premiere of SIX FEET UNDER was wonderful. For one thing, the rhythm of the entire hour was basically the same - relentlessly dour. And it was lacking the wonderful quirky humor that's one of the things which makes the show so special. Oh well - there's always next week.

POSSIBLE SPOILER AHEAD FOR DR TOMOVOZ AND OTHERS WHO HAVE NOT WATCHED TONIGHT'S SEASON PREMIERE OF "SIX FEET UNDER"

Yes, I guess it was a bit intense...  But I think it was a good way to open the season.  And it picked right up where the last season left off rather than a few months down the line like last season.  But I did think it was kind of "funny" how the opening tied into the end.  -Although, there was a clue that that was going to happen given away during the course of the show.  But we all need clues every now and then, now don't we. ;)  And I found that there were some moments of very dark humor here and there.  However, with the various setups, I think that's how it had to open.  And tonight's opening left lots of room for humor in upcoming episodes.  I hope.

It would be hard to come into tonight's episode with no knowledge of what came before.  -But it was fun watching the "catch up" clips at the top of the show.

END OF POSSIBLE SPOILER FOR DR TOMOVOZ AND OTHERS WHO HAVE NOT WATCHED TONIGHT'S SEASON PREMIERE OF "SIX FEET UNDER"
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #178 on: June 13, 2004, 11:14:01 PM »

Thank you Jose - Tom & Colin (& Magnus & Fosca).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 11:14:24 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #179 on: June 13, 2004, 11:19:58 PM »

Thank you Jose - Tom & Colin (& Magnus & Fosca).

You're very welcome.

And Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up