Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MIDDLE OF THE WEAK  (Read 32171 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE MIDDLE OF THE WEAK
« on: February 08, 2005, 11:58:55 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've absorbed the notes like a Brawny towel, and now it is time for you to post until the weak cows come home.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 12:00:08 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE MIDDLE OF THE WEAK
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 12:00:26 AM »

And the word of the day is: HUMDINGER!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 01:07:16 AM »

Just finished watching a wonderful film, Thieves Highway.  A HUMDINGER.  

Come back to find 0 posts.  I tell you, I'm speechless.  Therefore I shall toddle off to the bedroom environment.  I guess our late-night fun evenings are done.  

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 03:04:48 AM »

Have a happy dream, dear BK.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 03:56:05 AM »

Good morning, all! I'm up early to get another chunk of the Gershwin written.  I've got to spend several hours at the recording office, then a meeting over lunch about DARLING OF THE DAY, and tonight I have to see a short one-man pice my friend Matthew's directing.  I'll probably roll home and fall over around 9!

I'm listening to the "Bus and Truck" demo as I type this, and I'm caught up in the thought that I was born 20 years too late to score a 60s musical!  Of course, I'd be my father's age, probably dead now, but what a fertile period of musical theatre: so  many shows written, a lot closing out of town, but there was so much work when compared to today's meager artistic and economic standards.

Yesterday, while I was proofing the new KING & I edition, I learned that the original production had 10 violins in an orchestra of 33 players.  Part of the day was spent in a game of what 18 players would you choose to play the show in a Broadway revival if you could only hire 18 players since Broadway theatres no longer have orchestras, only combos and bands.

And speaking of orchestration, I'm off to work!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 04:28:08 AM »

Thank you, DR JRand, for going to extra mile and looking up the color data on JOHNNY GUITAR.

I knew that Trucolor was originally Republic's cheap way around renting Technicolor equipment, and that it was used for tons of their early westerns. But I also knew that the JOHNNY GUITAR that I watched yesterday was not filmed in a two color system. The skies were too blue (and so were Joan Crawford's eyes). So thanks for your investigation - Eastman/Ansco seems like a valid explanation.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 04:29:33 AM »

I'm on earlier than usual because I'm having a new dishwasher delivered/installed today, and even though I gave explicit directions to my house, I suspect the delivery people will call anyway, and I can't be on-line to take their call.

Matt H.

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 04:32:01 AM »

DR Ron, I recorded SCRUBS and COMMITTED last night since I was watching HOUSE, but I'll watch it at some point today and write my thoughts about COMMITTED later. The comedy is definitely not consistent (I've seen every episode), but the two leading characters are offbeat enough to be charming to me, so I've enjoyed the show without becoming invested in its success (I have a feeling it's not going to make it to a second season).

Matt H.

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 04:33:33 AM »

And with new episodes of LOST and ALIAS tonight to look forward to, TV is looking pretty special today.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 05:16:17 AM »

YW - DRMATTH  - that is what the internet is for.....and HHW as well.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005, 05:19:20 AM »

It is snowing lightly this morning.  Very pretty.

I am watching LILI, a delightful movie with a delightful cast.  It is a HUMDINGER.

I like today's word of the day MUCH BETTER than yesterday's word of the day.

My question for ASK BK day.....what film did you see as a youngster from one perspective and then see again as an adult from a different perspective.....i.e. LILI is a nice puppet show....but it is also a very adult love story.

Jennifer

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2005, 06:38:08 AM »

Thanks for all the egg white beating tips.  DR Jrand, i used liquid sweetener.  So maybe that was the problem?

DR Jose, how would one know if they beat them too long?

Btw, for brussel sprouts, my favorite way is cutting them in little pieces and sprinkling with oil and garlic and then baking them on a cooking sheet for 30 -45 minutes (depending on how brown and crisp you like them).

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 06:44:14 AM »

What's happening to me right now?

Imagine you were Picasso and you go in to paint one day, and someone tells you, instead of painting, they'd like you to build easels.

Imagine you work for a fairly creative, easy going company and it gets taken over by a bottom-line oriented group to whom the words "creativity" and "customer service" are anathemas.

It hasn't really happened overnight, but as the hours have passed lately, the clarity of the fact is sinking in... The cozy job I've had for five years is no more. And that's a real humdinger.

Jennifer

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2005, 06:52:39 AM »

TALK ABOUT LAST NIGHT'S AMAZING RACE.

Okay I know many of you were rooting for Kris and Jon.  But I found last night's episode riveting.  I was thrilled we barely had to watch Adam/Rebecca and that they were so far behind.

I was very disappointed that Hayden quit.  But the proposal was touching.  To me the 1st hour showed how truly pathetic a/r were (if hayden and aaron could catch up even with their horrible cab problems).

For the first time i can remember the F2 were the strongest teams.  And for the first time I can remember my favorite teams finished 1 and 2 (in that order).

The lock challenge was crazy.

I was disappointed that cab troubles caused h/a to basically lose. I would have rather they give them tasks that depend on their abilities more (like driving themselves).

I cannot believe that american airlines person telling kris she had the earliest flight lost them $1M. They should have double checked that.

What an exciting fabulous ending.  I felt bad that kris and jon got stuck behind that train. But wow, kendra and freddie were so lucky (since they didn't know where the place was).  Great show!

MBarnum

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 06:54:40 AM »

BK, perhaps you should hire a personal trainer to help get the weight off and return to your former svelte self.

Two of my previous interviewees, Mr. Mark Forest (star of GOLIATH AND THE SINS OF BABYLON) and Mr. Reg Lewis (star of FIRE MONSTERS AGAINST THE SON OF HERCULES) both work as personal trainers in your area (and on top of that Mark Forest is a trained singer!)

You to could look like Reg Lewis!

« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 06:54:59 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2005, 07:00:56 AM »

Yes, TAR was a lot of fun last night. I was rooting for Kris and Jon...they really are a nice couple.

I am not sure what Aaron sees in Hayden...she was driving me crazy. She could use a good dose of Prozac.

I was actually getting a kick out of Rebecca and Adam on last nights episode, and in a way I think it is cool that Adam confronted so many of his fears. I am sure both of them are nice people and they make better friends then lovers.

Kendra and Fred were the couple I least wanted to win, I am afraid.

3 weeks until the new TAR starts...and Survivor starts next week! Woohoo!

JRand54, glad you joined us on this round of TAR! Fun show, huh! And wow, China (at least where the show was filmed) was quite beautiful and that train was neat!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2005, 07:15:38 AM »

Yes, I loved the "trip around the world" and the little history lessons we got along the way.  Very interesting!

MBARNUM that is Reg on the right, right?

I have been watching BUTTERFIELD 8 - and it is so strange, I never noticed before, Susan Oliver is dressed and wearing her hair just like Debbie Reynolds.

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2005, 07:16:37 AM »

DR MBarnum, I see what you're saying about Hayden.   But I think we should give her a break.  It is probably much more stressful than we can imagine.  They get little sleep and little food.  I'm sure I would be a total wreck.

Btw, they posted the pics for TAR7:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race7/

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2005, 07:40:49 AM »

Good Morning!

I actually woke up around 7:30.  I opened my eyes, felt pretty good and very awake, then put my head back on the pillow.  two and a half hours later...  I probably should have stayed up then since I'm feeling a little "overslept" right now.  Ah, well...

I'm listening to the Brahm's First Piano Concerto with Lazar Berman as the soloist.  Right before they started playing it, the announcer announced that he had died on Saturday.  My piano teacher had a couple of his records.  Such great big sound from a big man - a "Bear Man" as my teacher would say.

There have actually been a few passings of some classical music artists in the past couple of weeks.  The Met broadcast of "Pelleas et Mellisande" this past weekend was dedicated to the soprano, Victoria de los Angeles, who passed away last month.  I shall have to listen to her Spanish song disc again, oh, and her "La Boheme" - a classic recording.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2005, 07:43:13 AM »

In other news...

I'm just trying to plan my day right now.  Just not feeling motivated to do much of anything.  It's a gray day outside right now, and rain is due this afternoon.  Ah, well...

Let me put on my cross-trainers and head downstairs.  A good workout is bound to get me going...
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2005, 07:43:26 AM »

Hello.  I have a humdinger of a cold which has also delievered a lovely case of laryngistis I know that's spelled wrong but you know what I mean.

I have not yet looked at yesterday's post or notes but caught up on the rest of Monday's.  I stayed home "sick" yesterday and basically just slept.  I came into the office today (against my body's stong protests)and  found that my desk is buried under a humdinger of of pile of  papers and files that will take up a great deal of my day  so love to all and TTFN

PS

I bought a megamillions lotery ticket atthe gas stationon my way in this morning, keep yopur fingers crossed for a humdinger of a win...its $50 mill this time, I think I could just about manage on that if keep clipping coupons....
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2005, 07:45:05 AM »

Oh!! Congratulations dear bk on your 10,000 )and counting) posts!!! Sorry I wasn't 'there" to partay with all the rest of the hainseskimlets!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2005, 07:50:01 AM »

Yes, I loved the "trip around the world" and the little history lessons we got along the way.  Very interesting!

This is EXACTLY what I have been trying to convince people of, regarding TAR, all along!  It's not just another reality show, but part travelogue/part scavenger hunt.

That being said, I was not crazy about this "cast."  There seemed to be far too many couples that all seemed the same, and most of them were in the final four (even last night, I still had trouble discerning which was Kendra and which was Hayden, or -- as I grew to call her -- Hoyden).  But I am looking forward to the next edition.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2005, 07:52:34 AM »

Thanks for all the egg white beating tips.  DR Jrand, i used liquid sweetener.  So maybe that was the problem?

DR Jose, how would one know if they beat them too long?

Btw, for brussel sprouts, my favorite way is cutting them in little pieces and sprinkling with oil and garlic and then baking them on a cooking sheet for 30 -45 minutes (depending on how brown and crisp you like them).

Liquid sweetener - That's the culprit!  If you must use a liquid sweetener, then just fold it in lightly after the egg whites have whipped up.  It won't be the same as using granulated sugar, the sweetness may not get all that evenly distributed.  And if it did, you'd probably end up deflating the whites with all that extra mixing and stirring.  Use sugar.

What are you trying to make?  Just a meringue topping for a pie?  or some sort of cookie?

You know they're overbeaten when they start to fall apart again.  They start to appear dry, curdled looking and water will usually start to pool in the bottom of the bowl.

Here's Emeril's recipe for some meringue cookies.  It's basically a meringue with some chocolate chips and nuts mixed in.

2 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2/3 cup superfine granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips or finely chopped semisweet chocolate
1 cup finely chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and beat until fluffy but not at all dry. (Be careful not to over beat.) Add the sugar gradually, about 3 tablespoons at a time. When 1/2 of the sugar has been added, add the vanilla extract. Continue beating and adding remaining sugar in batches, until all of the sugar is dissolved and the meringue is very shiny and tight. Gently fold in the chocolate chips and chopped nuts. Working one teaspoon at a time, push a teaspoonful of meringue from the tip of 1 teaspoon with the back of another teaspoon onto the lined baking sheets, leaving 1-inch of space between cookies. Place baking sheets in the preheated oven and turn the oven off. Leave the cookies (undisturbed) in the oven for at least 2 hours and up to overnight, or until cookies are crisp and dry.

-And I like roasted brussel sprouts too.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2005, 08:00:36 AM »

Question for Ask BK Day - who's probably going to do some bitch-slapping galore when he logs on this morning... We're still on Page 1?!?!?

Now that's a HUMDINGER!!!

-Or is it?

In any case...

Question:

Of the various "incoming shows" to Broadway that seem to "in development" right now, are there are projects that seem like they might work?  Anything that interests you?

On a related note:

Has there been anything that you've seen in LA over the past many years, that you thought would have and should have made it to NYC, but didn't?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2005, 08:02:01 AM »

-Sorry those questions are sort of vague and broad...  I guess I should get into my workout gear...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2005, 08:16:45 AM »

This is EXACTLY what I have been trying to convince people of, regarding TAR, all along!  It's not just another reality show, but part travelogue/part scavenger hunt.

That being said, I was not crazy about this "cast."  There seemed to be far too many couples that all seemed the same, and most of them were in the final four (even last night, I still had trouble discerning which was Kendra and which was Hayden, or -- as I grew to call her -- Hoyden).  But I am looking forward to the next edition.

I know what you mean DR Stuart...a lot of people lump all "reality" shows together...usually people who don't watch any of them. There is a huge variety of these shows...most of which are actually "game shows." Some can be a bit on the "trashy" side, but many are very educational, and, at the very least, can be enjoyed from the view point of seeing how human beings react to each other and there surroundings under different circumstances and in different types of competion...and that human element is what I enjoy about shows like THE MOLE, BIG BROTHER, SURVIVOR, and THE AMAZING RACE.

Of course it is not everyones cup of tea, but I do enjoy those shows.

And, yes, on this TAR there were some teams I had difficult identifying...for instance I could have sworn that Jon and Kris were not even in the first several episodes! LOL! I think it is because they wore hats so much of the time that they were hard to distinguish from the others....and many of the more interesting teams were eliminated early on.

These shows also remind me of past shows like BEAT THE CLOCK and YOU BET YOUR LIFE, where there is competion, but you also get a chance to know the competitors.

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2005, 08:21:05 AM »

And then, there was TEMPTATION ISLAND...which I am ashamed to admit to being addicted to! LOL!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2005, 09:03:56 AM »

I think the issue with TAR being stressful is the entire point of the show:  You get to see these people for who they REALLY are.  That's what makes it intriguing television for those who find it so.  I don't think anyone should concern themselves with giving any of the contestants a "break" for the way they behave.  If they can't take the heat, they should not be on the show.

Last night's "American Idol" irritated the dickens out of me with that contestant who withdrew after she was very kindly passed through to the next round.  Her range was stretched and she missed a note or two.  She WAS attractive and she had great stage presence (and dynamite gams!).

She misses her son?  Fine.  She doesn't want to deal with the stress?  Fine.

But then they allowed her to go on and on and on and on and on and on about the separation and the stress and how she could not emotionally handle it....I'd have much preferred hearing somebody sing...ANYBODY...than to hear that no-load whine another second (and she went on for what seemed like an eternity).

Hell, I'd have almost welcomed being hanged if it would have shut her up.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 09:06:12 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2005, 09:09:32 AM »

What's going on here today?

It's 9:10 a.m. PST on a Wednesday and we're still on Page 1?

« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 09:10:56 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up