Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: GINSU KNIVES AND CHIA PETS  (Read 24952 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
GINSU KNIVES AND CHIA PETS
« on: April 05, 2005, 11:58:10 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know what we're trying to sell you, you know you're not buying a word of it, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home, which is very soon because they have to pay for their fabulous Chia pet.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 12:02:15 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:GINSU KNIVES AND CHIA PETS
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 12:10:03 AM »

And the word of the day is: CUMIN!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 12:16:42 AM »

CUMIN!

Well, I suppose I shall toddle off to the bedroom environment, since the WUSSBURGERS seem to have deserted the jernt.  Only Pogue and Tom of Oz are here.  Speak up, boys.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 12:21:40 AM »

I've been catching up on earlier posts BK (yesterday to you!).. Commercials on TV - not really the same world.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 12:28:26 AM »

CUMIN!

Has Ann caught up?  I think Ann has taken a hike, frankly.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 12:29:25 AM »

Good Morning!

I went ahead and took a shower a few minutes ago... Ah... Just what I needed.  I was also feeling a little "filmy" after today, so...  Much better now.

Btw, what is "haineshiway.com"? -Actually, that could work as a domain name - maybe for all the Ginsu knives and Dean Martin Roast videos - on VHS, of course, none of those fancy-schmancy DVDs.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 12:30:32 AM »

There is an upcoming live auction on eBay with some fairly excellent first editions, which have reasonable starting prices (not that dealers will let anyone get away with getting anything that low).  They have one book I would dearly love to have - my favorite Agatha Christie - The Murder of Roger Ackroyd in its true first UK book in jacket.  I've signed up for the auction.  We shall see what we shall see.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 12:30:49 AM »

CUMIN!!

Now... Do you pronounce it "cue-min" or more like "come-in"?  Steve's father would always say "come-in", and then all of us would start giggling.  Immature - yes!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 12:31:16 AM »

I'm just trying to let these aspirin work before trotting off to the bedroom environment.  If only I had a set of Ginsu knives.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 12:33:39 AM »

Cue-min, as far as I know.

CUMIN!

I'm in serious need of my Russian massage artist.  Maybe one of these days I'll get off my lazy butt cheeks and actually call her and book an appointment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 12:41:54 AM »

As for commercials...

Infomercials fascinate me - and still do from time to time...  The cheaper and cheesier the better!  All those get-rich-quick schemes!  However, I don't think I ever made it through a Tony Robbins infomercial - that jawline of his always scared me.

;)

Otherwise, any of the Ron Popeil product pitches - especially the Bass-O-Matic.

And then all those competing skin care lines and make up products.

And, Soloflex of course.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 12:44:36 AM »

Just checked with Oz pronunciation. "Come-In" just like come-quart.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 12:44:44 AM »

Commercials... The classic AT&T one...

"Then why did he call?"
"He called just to say I Love You"

-Or something like that.  Always got choked up seeing that one.

And there was that Folger's commercial where the son comes home to surprise his family...

And wasn't there another long-running Folger's commercial with Howard McGillin? I seem to remember an image of him standing at a front door, or something like that.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 12:46:56 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2005, 12:47:31 AM »

And those, "Have a Lifesaver" commercials...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2005, 01:40:52 AM »

So sad to be all alone in the world...

I guess I shall toddle across the room, and head to bed myself...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005, 03:07:02 AM »

Good morning all!

Jose I am glad to hear that Indianapolis is treating you well. I do resent that India-no-place comment. There are things to do around Indy if you know where to look...

I know you were recently talking about getting more exercise a few weeks ago. Are you still working on that? The Monon Trail runs perpendicular to 86th street so you might want to see if you are close enough to get in a little exercise. Also if you get the chance, go to the Canal and check it out while the weather is nice. It's always nice to take a stroll there.

I can also get access to a digital camera for Sunday. I'll actually be down Friday evening because our men's chorus at Ball State is singing the national Anthem at the Indian's game. (Our local minor league baseball team.) I am looking forward to it because it is a nice ball park and I always enjoy myself.

I also want a full report Jose if you find any good places to eat since you seem to be the master at finding them. :-)
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2005, 03:16:11 AM »

As for the TOD: One of my favorite commercials is from the superbowl several years ago. It involved a car with a pigeon bomber squadron chasing it. I remember being especially tickled as the went through a wedding reception.

Another, is the three-part commercial about the dog that went to go to the bathroom and got left behind by accident. I remember a tear coming to my eye as I watched the dog travel cross country and finally got back home.

I always love it whenever they use Broadway themed commercials with the exception of the FAME spoof Old Navy has out now. I loved all the EBay commercials though!

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2005, 03:18:14 AM »

Good Evening DR Hisaka! I almost said good morning but then I checked the world clock to make sure I would get it right. :)

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2005, 03:26:26 AM »

And I am alone. :-( I suppose I could sleep for a bit more since I don't have class until 9.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2005, 03:45:22 AM »

Good Evening DR Hisaka! I almost said good morning but then I checked the world clock to make sure I would get it right. :)

Good Morning DR JOEY! Thank you for checking the world clock for me. :D

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2005, 03:48:10 AM »

And… DR DANISE, The time difference between Tokyo and your place, Florida?, is twelve hours now so when you’re at noon, I’m at midnight the next day.  It’s 7:50 pm now in Tokyo. ;)

Danise

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2005, 03:51:24 AM »

Good morning all!

I'm running late this morning soooo.....

Hi Hisaka,& Joey, ICU!

I can't believe I didn't say Good Health vibes to DR Elmoore yesterday so I will say them now!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Laters!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2005, 03:52:31 AM »

Thanks DR Hisaka!  A good evening to you!   :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2005, 04:38:21 AM »

As for commercials, though this is not my favorite commercial, I saw, this time, Richard Gere on TV commercial for an apartment residence called “The Tokyo Towers” in which he plays the piano with a smile and walks up to camera having flowers in his arms with a smile still.  He says something but we can’t hear his voice any owing to the narrations.

Richard Gere came to Tokyo a few days ago to promote "Shall We Dance" and go back home the day after. During his stay in Tokyo he met our prime minister Koizumi and posed dancing with him.  I think it's good for Mr. Gere but definitely no good for Koizumi. He looked ridiculous. >:(

Ben

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2005, 04:39:46 AM »

A quick good morning to you all. I was in and out yesterday but I don't think I posted at all. It will probably be much the same today. I have many things on my desk which need my attention.

Kerry, congrats on the job, whether it's a keeper or not.

Jose, congrats on your opening. You'll enjoy the get together on Sunday. Nice people are coming your way!

Later, gaters.

Michael

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2005, 04:51:02 AM »

I watch very little tv and when I do whena commercial comes up I channel surf except on PBS of course.

But when I would watch commercials I enjoyed the long running commercials with Anthony Head (TV series Buffy) and another Brit actress, It showed them meeting and their courtship over a number of years. No longer remember the brand though.

I do remember that one of the best commercials as child seeing was Anne Miller for the Great American Soup commercial. It starts off in a kitchen. Anne plays wife making dinner. Husband comes in asks whats for dinner. the sets slides apart and then a big MGM style production ensues and the at the end she is back in the kitchen and her husband holdimg her in a final dance pose and asking her "Why do you have to make a big production about ever?" (or something like that). 35 years or so later I still remember it so it has to be one of the most effective commercials ever done.

Another one rather humorous was a bell telephone commercial. A family with a small son is talking to a grandfather and they ask the son if he wants to say hello. He says hello and then hangs up. I rather liked that one.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2005, 04:53:02 AM »

Good luck Kerry on the job.
Enjoy your time on the road Jose

I hope you had a beautiful day Hisaka
Never stop dreaming.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2005, 05:16:41 AM »

One commercial that stuck in my head only played for a little while about 20 years ago or so. I don't even remember what they were selling, but it really impressed me, and changed my life. Someone was shopping in a grocery store, and got in One Of Those Lines... It is taking WAY too long. Finally, the person in front of him started unloading groceries onto the conveyer belt. "One potato... two potato... three potato..." and the clerk, glacially slow, starts ringing up the order: "One potato... two potato... three potato..."

I only saaw it a couple of times. Laughed my head off. Next time Chuck and I were at the grocery store (we were living in Washington at the time), we were standing in One Of Those Lines... we were WAY back in line. I started in: "One potato... two potato... three... potato..." I got all the way up to "... eleven potato..." when he just left the store. After several more shopping trips, he stopped going to grocery stores with me. Eventually we separated, I moved out, came back to Noo Yawk, and performed my show off-Broadway. The rest is history.

PS - I still do the routine, all by myself, when I'm stuck in line in grocery stores...  Fershtaist du the expression "one of those middle-aged actresses who lives alone in boarding houses... until she can become a red-wigged, red-rouged former Little Trouper at the Ansonia"?
PennyO

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2005, 05:31:55 AM »

Lordy, I hate Daylight Savings Time!  My mindset is still an hour behind, and I hate it.

Commercials:  I love the current (Serta?) mattress ads with the sheep.

Off to be X-rayed!  What a thrill.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2005, 05:35:05 AM »

Thanks all for the good wishes on the job.  I also had another interview yesterday (which seemed to go very well) for a job that I had applied for.  I then looked at the job description and wondered what the hell I was thinking.
So it's off to the salt mines...

Favorite commercials:  almost all the ones Stan Freburg created (prunes, The Great American Soup, Pizza Rolls)
There was a Chanel #5 commercial in the late 70's that Iadored ("I am blue sky and golden light, and I will feel this way forever.")  Ooh!

The first "My baloney has a first name..." commercial with the little kid fishing.
The "Ironweave" commercials.
The Diet Pepsi (Just one calorie- now you see it, now you don't) ads with Joanie Sommers sionging.  I would LOVE to have the song for that!
The "Sometimes You Feel Like A  Nut" ads.
The Sea and Ski commercial from the 60's which used "Girl Talk" as the jingle.

Oh-- and I'll take the two CD set of Mambos, please.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 05:36:03 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up