Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: ISHKABIBBLE  (Read 13312 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: ISHKABIBBLE
« Reply #150 on: March 02, 2012, 06:27:27 PM »

Page Six!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #151 on: March 02, 2012, 06:28:06 PM »

I was told it picked up the color of my eyes.  Oh, and I also meant to tell you guys about how the makeup guy said I had some of the nicest skin he had seen.  I think for the record the unspoken was (for my age).

Noooooooo.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #152 on: March 02, 2012, 06:30:30 PM »

I liked Danise's hairstyle too.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #153 on: March 02, 2012, 06:35:53 PM »

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,

Michael

« Reply #154 on: March 02, 2012, 06:54:42 PM »

I see that I was mentioned in Peter Filichia's column today. Forgot about that brain teaser from last month.
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #155 on: March 02, 2012, 07:00:48 PM »

I liked Danise's hairstyle too.

So did Keith & I.

Cillaliz

« Reply #156 on: March 02, 2012, 07:01:06 PM »

Still no word from JRand?   I haven't seen him post on Facebook either.  Hope all is well

Cillaliz

« Reply #157 on: March 02, 2012, 07:17:48 PM »

Sounds like some areas around Atlanta got hit too, hope Edi checks in

Ginny

« Reply #158 on: March 02, 2012, 07:24:12 PM »

'night!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

KevinH

« Reply #159 on: March 02, 2012, 07:36:13 PM »

BK--I'm planning on going to NYC next weekend.  Any get-together news?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: March 02, 2012, 07:40:17 PM »

It looks like it might be at some point on Sunday, although I'm available on Saturday evening, too, probably after theatre.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #161 on: March 02, 2012, 07:44:21 PM »

Just came across a recipe that could possibly be worse than haggis. It's for vegetarian haggis.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vegetarian-Haggis/Detail.aspx?prop31=10

Except for the hazelnuts this has got to be better than the original, which I have never tasted.
I forgot your hazelnut aversion. It's the kidney beans, or more specifically, the spackle texture of kidney beans, that really makes this horrifying to me.

I love kidney beans!
You may have all of mine. And then some.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #162 on: March 02, 2012, 07:46:08 PM »

Laundry is done for today and I'm ready for a little break.

I didn't put mine away until around 2pm. I usually do it as soon as I've finished, but I ran out and took care of some errands. On my way back, I stopped at the Jiulliard Bookstore and picked up a new book that was just released.
Let us know how good it is.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #163 on: March 02, 2012, 07:47:24 PM »

I'm really not understanding how anyone cannot see the new Peter Filichia column.
I had to refresh the page before the new column appeared, even though I had just landed on it.
― Voltaire

KevinH

« Reply #164 on: March 02, 2012, 07:47:57 PM »

It looks like it might be at some point on Sunday, although I'm available on Saturday evening, too, probably after theatre.

Sounds good!  

John G.

« Reply #165 on: March 02, 2012, 07:48:29 PM »

Thankfully, they are doing well and have enough to do in the basement to keep them busy, if they want to be.
  Something just doesn't sound right there...:)

The last I heard, they were doing OK, but anxious about any sort of repeat.
― Voltaire

Ben

« Reply #166 on: March 02, 2012, 07:54:12 PM »

Hey, Ginny. I'm not a fan of Studio 54. That being said, the mezzanine is not bad for seating. It's better than the back balcony or the back of the orchestra. The mezzanine overhang really makes sight lines bad if you are in the back of the orchestra, especially if the director and the set designer don't give a rat's ass how something is staged so that people in the back of the orchestra miss certain pieces of staging because it's blocked by the overhang.

I know the theatre was closed for a while so Roundabout could do some work on it. I hope they took away some of the dark, dank feeling of the place. It looks like at one time it was a beautiful old theatre. Now, it's just another space for Broadway shows.

It was built as the Gallo Opera House in 1927 but that flopped quickly. It then became a number of different venues including an early dinner theatre/supper club. It was most successful as a radio and then television studio from the 40s until the mid-70s. Then it became Studio 54. It sat empty for a long time after S54 closed and in 1988 Roundabout took over the space. They eventually bought the property and now use it for Broadway productions as part of their season.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: March 02, 2012, 08:15:13 PM »

Charlotte and I sat on the aisle, Row L center, and the seats were great. I did indeed blubber through most of the second act. A moment occurred in Act Two involving English and Czech that reached down my throat and tore out my heart. I'm sure I didn't miss the moment downtown but it sure caught me by surprise tonight and it was a truly wrenching moment. From that point on I was a total mess. I can't say any more because I don't want to spoil this glorious show for anyone, and I think it's something no one should miss.

The show works beautifully in the space, a concern many had after the intimacy of NYTW, and there's quite a crowd onstage buying beer at the onstage bar before the show and hanging out to watch the cast warm up. I got to speak briefly to Andy Taylor, but I didn't wander up onto the stage. Charlotte went up and checked out the bar's merchandise: beer.

The cast has not changed and they are an amazing ensemble of performers. Kazee and Milioti are not at all like their film counterparts, and I think that's a very smart decision. This show makes it very clear we are not watching an easy transfer of a movie to the stage. The revisions are very smart and theatrical, some things are changed about quite a bit, especially the song placement, and it works really well.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #168 on: March 02, 2012, 08:15:31 PM »

And the Mystery of Edwin Drood will be revived at Studio 54 this fall.   Since I've never seen it, I have already promised Rupert I'll make the trip.  I'm looking forward to it

Ben

« Reply #169 on: March 02, 2012, 08:20:55 PM »

Glad you liked the transfer Larry.

A friend who had seen it downtown said his biggest worry was the move from the small space to a mid-size Broadway theatre. I think the space (the Jacobs) is fine and they have fit the show in very well without losing any of the intimacy.

I'm seeing the film Once tomorrow. It's waiting for me at the library. I'm looking forward to seeing it, knowing that they are two different animals.

John G.

« Reply #170 on: March 02, 2012, 09:15:01 PM »

And the Mystery of Edwin Drood will be revived at Studio 54 this fall.   Since I've never seen it, I have already promised Rupert I'll make the trip.  I'm looking forward to it
I saw the original production in previews and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm glad to see it revived.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #171 on: March 02, 2012, 09:16:44 PM »

Glad to see you enjoyed the show so much, Elmore. I really hope the reviews are better for it this time around.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up