Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PERFECTLY PLEASANT DAY  (Read 12841 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE PERFECTLY PLEASANT DAY
« Reply #180 on: March 03, 2012, 07:40:56 PM »

Our stumble-through was a little rough, thanks to some musical meltdowns from our MD.  I think he probably didn't look at or practice this stuff since our last rehearsal on Thursday, so on four or five songs he was completely at sea for parts of them and therefore left the poor singers out to dry.  We worked for almost forty-five minutes after - the good news is we will run every one of those problem numbers at the soundcheck and it will at least then be fresh in his mind and I'm sure we'll be fine.  Biggest hand of the day went to Melody's rather astonishing rendition of Tchaikowsky (And Other Russians). 

Cillaliz

« Reply #181 on: March 03, 2012, 07:58:18 PM »

I haven't purchased too many books on eBooks so I might be wrong.  What I've seen is that books already out in paperback are $12.99 & newer books are more.  Today I looked to see what eBooks are available by Kate Furnivall (I enjoyed THE RED SCARF by her) and was surprised to find her latest book, which will be released on 3/6 is only $9.99.  I'm curious if anyone has seen this type of pricing.

I've never seen any real set prices.  Sometimes the nook books are a lot cheaper and sometimes they aren't.   I just check when I'm interested in something. I do think they are a little less expensive lately

Cillaliz

« Reply #182 on: March 03, 2012, 08:02:50 PM »

Ok, I've got to share what was in my package......a used piccolo I got on eBay!  Our piccolo player in band may not be at the next concert, so I said if she can't be there I'd do it.   Then I got out my piccolo and let's just say it was great in a 250 member marching band outside, but inside it was pretty shrill on the high notes and it was actually pretty difficult to play.  So, I got a nice piccolo at a really good price. It was recommended to my by a local piccolo player as her standard go to piccolo.    It came today and is in perfect shape.  I'm very happy about it.  Now I'm comfortable that I have the horns I need to be able to play the way I want to play.  :)
  How cool!  I didn't know you played. 

Yes, last fall I started flute playing again in our local area community concert band.  It's mostly band directors and retired band directors and those of us who are there just because we love to play.  I bought an alto flute in January and just started playing with a flute choir in a nearby town.  Don't know if I'll play the picc a lot, but I always liked to play it so I'll play it for myself if no one else. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:45:21 PM by Cillaliz »

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #183 on: March 03, 2012, 09:12:41 PM »

I am glad to know that JRand is Ok  has anyone heard from Edi or Pogue?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #184 on: March 03, 2012, 09:23:25 PM »

Is anyone familiar with a TV chef named Cat Cora?
I have an autographed cookbook of hers if you need one. Never used.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #185 on: March 03, 2012, 09:23:55 PM »

Ok, I've got to share what was in my package......a used piccolo I got on eBay!  Our piccolo player in band may not be at the next concert, so I said if she can't be there I'd do it.   Then I got out my piccolo and let's just say it was great in a 250 member marching band outside, but inside it was pretty shrill on the high notes and it was actually pretty difficult to play.  So, I got a nice piccolo at a really good price. It was recommended to my by a local piccolo player as her standard go to piccolo.    It came today and is in perfect shape.  I'm very happy about it.  Now I'm comfortable that I have the horns I need to be able to play the way I want to play.  :)

Congratulations on your new piccolo.  Have fun playing it.
Yes, hope you enjoy it.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #186 on: March 03, 2012, 09:28:56 PM »

Mikey, if you didn't watch this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On1LfL3spTE&feature=related

You Should!

Well, well, well...I enjoyed him...although not sure if I like his singing style.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 09:35:08 PM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #187 on: March 03, 2012, 09:38:44 PM »

Well, I got me some Chinese food and sat down to watch 300 SPARTANS. It was an 112 minute movie which I watched in about 28 minutes...it was bad...really bad...so I fast forwarded until Barry Coe's scenes came on...watched them, then fast forwarded some more.

The only person who came away from this film not looking totally silly was Diane Baker. She was able to handle the very silly dialogue much better then the rest of the cast.

And with 300 spartans, you would think that there would be at least a few shirtless moments....but no...it was such a bad movie.

vixmom

« Reply #188 on: March 03, 2012, 09:47:16 PM »

today I was at church  at 9 Am to help with an aspiring Eagle Scout with his project - he arranged to have the main hallway of the education wing repainted

vixmom

« Reply #189 on: March 03, 2012, 09:51:02 PM »

I had to leave at the lunch break -  there were some more people arriving as I was leaving and they were planning on a putting on a second coat - it was looking pretty good when I left I am looking forward to seeing how it turned out

vixmom

« Reply #190 on: March 03, 2012, 09:51:46 PM »

Well, I got me some Chinese food and sat down to watch 300 SPARTANS. It was an 112 minute movie which I watched in about 28 minutes...it was bad...really bad...so I fast forwarded until Barry Coe's scenes came on...watched them, then fast forwarded some more.

The only person who came away from this film not looking totally silly was Diane Baker. She was able to handle the very silly dialogue much better then the rest of the cast.

And with 300 spartans, you would think that there would be at least a few shirtless moments....but no...it was such a bad movie.

may be you fast forwarded over the good bits

vixmom

« Reply #191 on: March 03, 2012, 09:53:36 PM »

and I stopped at the library and picked up the dvd of The Secret Life of Bees which i watched with the Vixter who is recovering from a  cold

vixmom

« Reply #192 on: March 03, 2012, 09:56:18 PM »

Did some grocery shopping at BJ's and stopped by the Presbyterian Church to drop off some food and a donation for their 30 Hour Famine - this is where the church where the Vixter attended Youth Group  but she was in no state to participate this year 

vixmom

« Reply #193 on: March 03, 2012, 10:05:17 PM »

well I am assisting minister tomorrow ...oh m later today  so I better get me some sleep!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: March 03, 2012, 10:39:29 PM »

I gotta tell you.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: March 03, 2012, 10:40:27 PM »

Listening to Judy Kuhn's Jule Styne album.  Very strange.  Our next Kritzerland show is Jule Styne, but I don't think we'll use any of these arrangements.  I'm five songs in and I've yet to hear a song with strings.  I wonder if there are any.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: March 03, 2012, 10:40:46 PM »

I do like the latin You'll Never Get Away from Me.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up